• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Tb0ne07

Finally got my stoic black Ion but man was I playing horribly last night. Even had to switch to shotgun for something different. I think I'm overdue for that update...

Raide

Any idea when this Live Fire thingy is coming? Looks cool but my skill is way too low to play it well. 😆

Greedings

Anyone know why Swol got banned? Just realised he's not posted in a while.

Ah, I see he made the mistake of entering OT.

Gator86

Anyone know why Swol got banned? Just realised he's not posted in a while.

General dickishness and political comments in another thread, I'd wager.

Any news anywhere about when the update is dropping? Balance changes and bug fixes can't get here soon enough.

Greedings

I've been switching up my titans recently. I'm normally like 70% Ronin, 30% Tone. Ion is Ok actually. Can goose like a motherfucker with that hitscan 1HKO laser.

Still having trouble with survivability. Once other titans start dropping, I get taken out fast, and without nuclear eject, it takes me a while to get it back. Ronin I have like 90% uptime thanks to phase+nuke.

I've been switching up my titans recently. I'm normally like 70% Ronin, 30% Tone. Ion is Ok actually. Can goose like a motherfucker with that hitscan 1HKO laser.

Still having trouble with survivability. Once other titans start dropping, I get taken out fast, and without nuclear eject, it takes me a while to get it back. Ronin I have like 90% uptime thanks to phase+nuke.

Play Ion like a Northstar, always hang in the back.

Jito

Banned
How can anyone enjoy playing as Tone? It must be so boring standing in the far corners of the map, hiding behind that pathetic shield. It annoys me that Respawn catered so much to players that want to camp at the edges of the map.

How can anyone enjoy playing as Tone? It must be so boring standing in the far corners of the map, hiding behind that pathetic shield. It annoys me that Respawn catered so much to players that want to camp at the edges of the map.

The missile barrage is fun as hell though. I absolutely love firing missiles into the air and having them rain down on some unsuspecting titan, destroying them before they have time to eject.

No Love

Banned

Who does that? The way to play Tone is aggressively, using your shield + flanking to tag as many Titans as you can with shoulder missles and eventually a Salvo Core. Not sitting around camping.

Jito

Banned
Who does that? The way to play Tone is aggressively, using your shield + flanking to tag as many Titans as you can with shoulder missles and eventually a Salvo Core. Not sitting around camping.

Flanking? Nah these guys go to the far reaches of the map and just sit there, it's infuriating.

Jito

Banned
Yeh the rodeos are far too predictable most of the time. It also gave a better reason to roll with a heavy machine gun in the first game, unloading into a titan with the Spitfire was devastating.

I never see this... So I assume it's an attrition problem?

Yeh I imagine it'd never happen in the objective modes but it's a problem running up against a team of Tones all huddled in one corner of the map. Doesn't help that most teams don't know how to deal with that so it's just like smacking my head against a wall for the rest of the match.

Discobird

Finally dinged Gen 10.50 after about 140 hours of playtime. Final stats (PC, U.S. west coast):

UXT2Y45.jpg

Xt5DtIi.jpg

Mostly attrition, mostly Ion, always phase shift, usually the EVA-8 or an SMG, usually extra battery.

I loved TF1 to death and consider it one of the best multiplayer FPS's I've ever played. That said, I've had even more fun with the sequel than I did in the original, owing to a number of improvements:

• Better hipfire accuracy on more weapons, making a mobile playstyle viable with more than just the CAR and EVA-8
  • Shooting no longer gives away your exact position, which combines with the first point to make flanking much stronger
  • Sliding
  • Smart Pistol removed as a regular weapon
  • TItans have character and unique playstyles (although I wish they had an extra dash by default)
  • Rodeo is no longer a feast-or-famine mechanic where you either (a) have cluster or smoke and kill the pilot or (b) you straight up lose your titan or die getting out. Battery mechanic is much better IMO.
  • Boosts still need some balancing work (extra battery and amped damage being way better than the rest) but they are healthier and far less swingy and than the burn cards (albeit sometimes less fun)
My only major complaint with TF2 is the maps, especially Crash Site and Complex being too Pilot-unfriendly (nothing new here). Everything else is a pretty minor quibble:
  • Devotion is too strong but the pilot weapon balance is otherwise pretty good on PC. You see a wide variety of weapons.
  • Tone's 40mm and Ion's laser shot should have a reduced hitbox vs Pilots. Tone's Salvo Core also probably needs further adjustment.
  • Fun as they may be, most boosts can't compete with extra battery and amped damage.
  • I miss the old menu music :(

Izuna

Banned
I see super high KDs never really working with super high winrates. I think there's a different way to play to game that I haven't seen.

Respawn loves reddit more than us ;(

You say that, but it seems to me that on a per user basis you get way more attention from Rayme here than Reddit gets.

Also in terms of user base and being able to track feedback on an issue: there's no way around it, Reddit's just better at it than GAF is.

Izuna

Banned
You say that, but it seems to me that on a per user basis you get way more attention from Rayme here than Reddit gets.

Also in terms of user base and being able to track feedback on an issue: there's no way around it, Reddit's just better at it than GAF is.

I was trying to be cute.

I super appreciate Rayme (and co!) and agree.

~~~

Oh, I forgot to tell GAF, I think jayfresh said he'll announce the give us the release date for the Live Fire update this week.

~~

titanGAF, stop getting banned like omg

Discobird

I see super high KDs never really working with super high winrates. I think there's a different way to play to game that I haven't seen.

I think super high winrates are often the result of partying up with other good players, and if you do that you'll be competing with them for kills which will drive your KDR down.

I could play Drydock all day. It's pretty much the only [original] TF2 map that stacks up to the best TF1 maps IMO.

Angel City is still fun, but I can't remember the last time I saw anybody use anything other than a Hemlock, Devotion, G2A or Flatline on it. As such, the combat has become pretty one-note, with a lot of rotation around the roof-tops, and very little inside/outside movement in interiors - which, IMO, was a big part of what made that map so great in the original.

Eden and Exo are pretty good too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone still playing atm?

I could play Drydock all day. It's pretty much the only [original] TF2 map that stacks up to the best TF1 maps IMO.

Angel City is still fun, but I can't remember the last time I saw anybody use anything other than a Hemlock, Devotion, G2A or Flatline on it. As such, the combat has become pretty one-note, with a lot of rotation around the roof-tops, and very little inside/outside movement in interiors - which, IMO, was a big part of what made that map so great in the original.

Yeah, it's my favourite map. I almost like Complex for the same reason. lol

Izuna

Banned
I think super high winrates are often the result of partying up with other good players, and if you do that you'll be competing with them for kills which will drive your KDR down.

I'm not too sure. At least (not including myself) people with super high win rates I've seen are primarily SoloQ players.

Of course, people play in groups, but you can usually tell because their MVP/Played ratio floats around half. In order to get a high win rate as a SoloQ, you must carry most games.

~~

But you raise a good point. Perhaps what makes a SoloQ player carry in Attrition/Bounty Hunt means ignoring Pilots a lot of the time (I know I do). I'll pick a couple of Reapers over a Pilot anytime.

~~

When the update hits, I'll play with Xbox/PS4/PC TitanGAF if groups are going. I think I'll just take a break until then.

Finally dinged Gen 10.50 after about 140 hours of playtime. Final stats (PC, U.S. west coast):

UXT2Y45.jpg

Xt5DtIi.jpg

Mostly attrition, mostly Ion, always phase shift, usually the EVA-8 or an SMG, usually extra battery.

I loved TF1 to death and consider it one of the best multiplayer FPS's I've ever played. That said, I've had even more fun with the sequel than I did in the original, owing to a number of improvements:

• Better hipfire accuracy on more weapons, making a mobile playstyle viable with more than just the CAR and EVA-8
  • Shooting no longer gives away your exact position, which combines with the first point to make flanking much stronger
  • Sliding
  • Smart Pistol removed as a regular weapon
  • TItans have character and unique playstyles (although I wish they had an extra dash by default)
  • Rodeo is no longer a feast-or-famine mechanic where you either (a) have cluster or smoke and kill the pilot or (b) you straight up lose your titan or die getting out. Battery mechanic is much better IMO.
  • Boosts still need some balancing work (extra battery and amped damage being way better than the rest) but they are healthier and far less swingy and than the burn cards (albeit sometimes less fun)
My only major complaint with TF2 is the maps, especially Crash Site and Complex being too Pilot-unfriendly (nothing new here). Everything else is a pretty minor quibble:
  • Devotion is too strong but the pilot weapon balance is otherwise pretty good on PC. You see a wide variety of weapons.
  • Tone's 40mm and Ion's laser shot should have a reduced hitbox vs Pilots. Tone's Salvo Core also probably needs further adjustment.
  • Fun as they may be, most boosts can't compete with extra battery and amped damage.
  • I miss the old menu music :(

Congrats on the Gen10! :)

Also, agree with almost everything in your post

Gator86

Agree with your Angel city point. It's fucking terrible. Whenever the map comes up I just groan now. Just rooftop camping with A-walls and one of 3 guns for the most part. Because of the proposterous damage of the MGL and the high buildings, a dedicated pilot can shred you in seconds too so titan combat isn't especially enjoyable either.

All of the other non-complex/crash site maps have grown on me though.

Raide

So many of the maps seem to blend in for me. Find it hard to split them sometimes because i dont know the names.

Would love to see a snow map of some kind.

Also, would like to see more symmetrical maps, just to even the balance out.

Actually, TF3 should have a Forge equivalent.

Crash Site is the only map that I can legit find no redeemable qualities about other than it looking nice on PS4Pro :(

Seriously, such fundamentally unfun/cluster of a map

Greedings

Crash Site is the only map that I can legit find no redeemable qualities about other than it looking nice on PS4Pro :(

Seriously, such fundamentally unfun/cluster of a map

Two things I like about that map.

1) Flanking at the start results in easy kills.
2) It's super easy to creep up on people in titans if you get the first fall.

That's it.

Alx

I think Crash Site is most fun with a grappling hook, since there are so many opportunities for acrobatics and swinging around. And it's one of the few maps where you don't have to worry about snipers. It also has many tiny alternative passages to escape/surprise the opponent (ship cockpit, "pipe trench", hidden lake, multiple tunnels,...)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I haven't played since Christmas, any buffs or nerfs happened? I'd been running with G2.3 and the CAR.

Any adjustments to Titans? I was maining Northstar.

Greedings

I dislike any map where people can bunch up at one point.

Had a game in black water (?) where the whole team bunched up with devotions, hemlocks , autoturrens and A walls in one of the bunkers.

It was boring as shit. Took me ages to break through, then when I did I got a penta-kill. They eventually got back and it was just titan combat in the corner. YAWN.

psyfi

Banned
I've had this game for a few weeks now and I'm finally starting to get decent. I still find titan combat really boring, but I'm consistently topping the scoreboards for pilot kills and in the top few spots for points even when I don't use my titan, so I'm not too pressed. If any PS4 folks wanna add me, my PSN is psyfi- (make sure you get the dash)!

Grapple Hook's becoming a nice alternative for when Stim doesn't cut it on certain maps that have too many stuff that your player runs into or mantles on unintentionally like Crash Site.

Also, Legion's good at keeping control of areas, Free Battery Boost + Overcore + Longer Core Duration = lol. Though like Scorch, I'd rather not deploy them as soon as I get them, rather wait for a few Titanfalls first because can't deal with 4-5 Pilots spamming shots at me and then lose my titan in no time at all

grendelrt

Curious when he started going by Benchy. Never heard that name back in the TF1 days (his Origin handle is still the same as it has always been).

One thing I don't really like about a lot of these clips is that they are against players who are literally standing there doing nothing. ;
Yeah whenever I watch these videos the guys they are destroying are not using any of the movement mechanics. I notice it a lot in game when I have those big scoring rounds.

Curious when he started going by Benchy. Never heard that name back in the TF1 days (his Origin handle is still the same as it has always been).

One thing I don't really like about a lot of these clips is that they are against players who are literally standing there doing nothing. ;\

He mostly played on Asian servers that's probably why. I remember seeing the spm-passion ID back in Tf1 days but didn't know the benchy handle till the release of Tf2.

Djees these mp numbers are depressing

Also I really wanted to play but after getting thrown in crash 10* in a row I just turned it off.
Why is this a thing?

Gator86

Djees these mp numbers are depressing

Also I really wanted to play but after getting thrown in crash 10* in a row I just turned it off.

It's not surprising if numbers are really slumping. The post release support has been bad. They still haven't released any type of roadmap, seem to have no plan in mind, let the meta stagnate, have far too few maps, most of the kits/pilot perks are laughably bad, and bugs like Ion's shield damage glitch are damn near game-breaking.

TF2 was my goty but I am continually stunned by how tepid the post-release support has been. I realize the complexities of modern development and applaud the leadership at Respawn for giving the team time off. That said, as a person who bought a product partially for the expectation of long-term support, which I have enthusiastically supported with mtx purchases, TF2 is a disappointment. Still can't believe they wasted even a day of dev time on the incoming mode.

Top Bottom