• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Strider

It's super unfair to compare any game to a giant of a game as a COD title. There is only a handful of games that come close to those numbers in a year.

This.

I don't understand how a game is "unhealthy" just because it's not pulling in cod numbers... people called tf1 dead but I never had issues getting games on PC or xb1.

And Even if there is literally 0 people playing a year or two from now (which won't happen) there's still plenty of fun to be had in the meantime.

I wish they never added population numbers...

Yo try the Mozambique. Mozambique+amp=salt mountains.

Can confirm Moz + AMP is fun as fuck.

I'm hoping to unloick Wingman too and give that a try.

Torbjorn's hammer does the same damage as Rein as well.

Really? Thats... pretty useless considering you have to switch to it and his primary does more.

In this case I think it would be more balanced if Ronin's melee did a lot more damage. He's just way under-powered right now. If I have to expose myself with my low health to attack, I better be able to rip people apart when I get there.

Wait for your core ability

Ronin can be completely balanced by making phase shift similar to the pilot phase shift. Allow it to build up, giving Ronin 2 charges.

The build up time would be the element of balancing, but I think this would make playing Ronin a lot more fun.

Is there not a perk or whatever that allows two charges of phase shift?

Can confirm Moz + AMP is fun as fuck.

I'm hoping to unloick Wingman too and give that a try.

Yup. Moz and AMP and Mastiff all day!

The Wingman isn't as great as I remember lol. It's really hit or miss hit detection wise with the connection performance TF2 has going on. You'll line up an absolutely perfect headshot and it will miss so you'll be dead... fast. It's frustrating.

Gator86

People crying for Legion nerf lol this is how you continue ruining Titan gameplay

Git gud and learn to deal.

Tone and Northstar are good counters at distance. Legions shield is on a timer and has to reload. Use that to your advantage.

Ronin can wreck Legion. Get in and get out. Do. Not. Melee. As tempting as it is to whip his sword don't do it. Just don't.

I feel like this is what people miss about Ronin. Why are people discussing 1 vs 1 with him? I don't want to do that at all when I play Ronin. You're supposed to dart in and get out without taking much damage. I usually kill pilots and bots biding my time until I can strike. In team fights I just dart in behind or from the side and wreck the enemy titan group while they're fighting someone else. If they turn to target me, my team shreds their backs and I phase out anyway. With all your movement tools, why are you engaging at all when you don't want to? If a Legion is spraying at me, I'm just going to fucking leave and peek back in on him to see when he turns around and I can jump back on him.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
The few times I checked there were about 24K people online. Not great numbers IMO considering in the short time the MWR MP door opened there were 100K people online.

I do like this game but I have major concerns about the health of this game online after IW comes out.

I think if people who are concerned about its player base actually bought it and enjoyed it (since it really deserves the good reviews it's getting) then it should get better. :)

It's 35K+ on weekends as well. In short: you won't have any issues finding games at all (I mostly play Bounty Hunt and Attrition).

Also, don't forget that there's bound to be a player population spike once Black Friday rolls around and Christmas. I can see EA pushing the "Game of the Year" edition of this as well, since I think this is bound to win a few Shooter of the Year awards (hell, even GoTY maybe).

This game is so good that I kinda regret not getting the deluxe edition to give max support.

I'll buy some of dat micro stuff to make amends :)

I feel like this is what people miss about Ronin. Why are people discussing 1 vs 1 with him? I don't want to do that at all when I play Ronin. You're supposed to dart in and get out without taking much damage. I usually kill pilots and bots biding my time until I can strike. In team fights I just dart in behind or from the side and wreck the enemy titan group while they're fighting someone else. If they turn to target me, my team shreds their backs and I phase out anyway. With all your movement tools, why are you engaging at all when you don't want to? If a Legion is spraying at me, I'm just going to fucking leave and peek back in on him to see when he turns around and I can jump back on him.

I think most players understand this and the basic function/role of Ronin. What we're saying is that it's pretty much a death sentence when you play modes without the bot fodder where you will lose if you dont combat the enemy team.

Last Titan Standing, CTF or Hardpoint force you to take your Ronin and get into offensive or defensive confrontations. If you're in LTS and you're the only one left on your team as Ronin and the only enemy left is a Legion.... good luck lol!

Is anyone having party issues where after one game it splits everyone up? So far we play one match and we keep ending up on opposite teams or in completely separate games

Gator86

I think most players understand this and the basic function/role of Ronin. What we're saying is that it's pretty much a death sentence when you play modes without the bot fodder where you will lose if you dont combat the enemy team.

Last Titan Standing, CTF or Hardpoint force you to take your Ronin and get into offensive or defensive confrontations. If you're in LTS and you're the only one left on your team as Ronin and the only enemy left is a Legion.... good luck lol!

My point was less to rely on bot fodder and more that Ronin is dependent on team play. Having a good Ronin increases your chance of winning team fights because he changes that long range trench style of fight you mostly see. He can totally disrupt an enemy squad. I agree that in a one on one against Legion, he's going to have a hard time, but even then you could easily trade with nuclear explosion as Legion is nearly immobile. If he has a dash core, he'll probably burn it trying to gain space, then he has no escape.

I wouldn't mind a Ronin buff, but I don't think he's meant to be the one on one killing machine a lot of people envisioned. He seems based entirely around team support.

chogidogs

I liked the campaign. Played about 3 hours and decided to try multiplayer. Got absolutely creamed!

I wish there was a noob pool for first timers.

JaMarco

I wouldn't mind a Ronin buff, but I don't think he's meant to be the one on one killing machine a lot of people envisioned. He seems based entirely around team support.
Is Ronin based/designed on team support, or is he just so underpowed that's the only way you can manage to be effective with him?

B00TE

I liked the campaign. Played about 3 hours and decided to try multiplayer. Got absolutely creamed!

I wish there was a noob pool for first timers.

Attrition and Bounty Hunt are your best bets for that. The former can be a bit more forgiving than the latter, but still easy enough to get into.

JJShadow

I've been playing with auto-sprint on since the very beginning, I cannot really understand how some people can still play without using it lol

Menitta

FINALLY got my first execution. I really want to unlock the one where you use their pistol.

I've been playing with auto-sprint on since the very beginning, I cannot really understand how some people can still play without using it lol

I use it too, but I still press L3. That's a habit I'll never break.

Alx

Oh man what a finisher lol. Can't wait to see the others.

xKH1zFy.gif

Northstar is definitely the best Titan. :D It's funny because I wasn't too fond of Stryder in TF1, nor of the plasma cannon, but the bigger differences in mobility of the different titans and the hover moves (often suicidal, but so fun !) made me love Northstar.
Also I just finished a few rounds of Attrition where I destroyed my share of Legions, so there. :p

RedFury

Is Ronin based/designed on team support, or is he just so underpowed that's the only way you can manage to be effective with him?
Lol the tactic my brother and I use in LTS is team goes one way and him and I flank. He's ronin I'm scorch. Team gets their attention, he warps in a smashes and deals huge amount of burst damage on everything raising hell. I cut off escape with fire everywhere. Once he can't take anymore nuclear ejects. Now we have a number advantage because he usually takes out 2-3 titans. Those that try to escape have to run through a lane of fire or walk into the firing squad on the other side. Lmao yup yup, fun.
Edit: that shit makes me laugh so hard. It's like warping a nuclear warhead into a small room.

Ronin is not underpowered lol He's meant to stick and move. If you're hanging around and brawling with Titans who have more health than you... good luck.

Izuna

Banned
My left stick completely disagrees

Nah, I got used pretty quickly to the fast pace it brings to the game and to shooting while running. I cannot see myself coming back to activate/deactivate it using L3

on m+kb i do have it on with shift as walk though

but i don't like games with ads on pc anyway

If you're 1vs1 any other titan...good luck.

If people want to play dumb then theres nothing that can be done

These are Ronins tools

Leadwall - damage
Arc wave - damage plus slow down and exit opportunity
Dash - get in and get out
Phase shift - get in or get out
Smoke - damage plus exit opportunity

People just need to want to put them together. Does this mean auto win? No, but it gives you a chance.

KodaRuss

Ronin is not underpowered lol He's meant to stick and move. If you're hanging around and brawling with Titans who have more health than you... good luck.

How many good Ronin players have you run into?

I have seen no more than 2 and they would never be seen without another Titan buddy close by

How many good Ronin players have you run into?

I have seen no more than 2 and they would never be seen without another Titan buddy close by

Well no one said Ronin was easy to learn.

I'm sure most people pick Legion or In because they're super easy to get the most of... And you can take a licking before you need to change strategy.

Gator86

I think he's actually designed for support, although I get the other explanation. When used in a support role, he's astoundingly effective. People here severely underestimate the cheese that is nuclear ejection. The titans movement nerfs leave Scorch and Legion nearly immobile without dash cores. Even the other are likely to be out of dashes from trying to escape from the Ronin. Phase dashing behind a retreating titan and ejecting is basically a guaranteed kill.

dLMN8R

There's something about Titanfall 2 that's much more difficult for me to play online than the original.

I finished the campaign a couple days ago and didn't try any multiplayer until last night. But last night I played 7 or 8 games and literally didn't win a single game until the last one. And I can't just blame my team - I did awful in every game.

I feel like I'm being as cautious as possible, and am always moving and wall jumping / sliding / etc. to move quickly, but I'm just dying so unbelievably quickly and failing to do the same to others :-(

Arrrammis

I've seen the light:

Bounty Hunt is amazing

Suffer in hell, Attrition
Agreed so much. I get that people want a simple team death match style game mode, but the maps are just too big without some type of objective. It's also great when you figure out the waves, like how now I know to save my Titan core for the Titan bounty if possible, or keep my anti-pilot turret ready for one of the infantry rounds (so many free kills!).

daedalius

Just wanted to jump in and say I am absolutely LOVING the campaign so far, all praise well founded.

Haven't jumped into multi yet, but I adored R1, so, given the changes from the tests, I'm sure I will really enjoy R2 as well, especially with all the new titans. The tests felt so slow, since they only had Ion and Scorch, and I'm pretty sure both of those titans only ever had 1 boost for me (maybe I didn't unlock the 2nd one).

BT feels amazing, and I love how you can just switch loadouts on the fly to a completely new skill set. I think I am liking Tone best so far, but I still have a few to get.

Unrelated, I will probably stick with Attrition and some LTS (if it stays populated), I really enjoyed those in R1. Didn't like bounty hunt at all in the test beta.

MGrant

One thing I wish is that the markers for the banks would stay on the minimap at all times. Sometimes when I get done with a wave I want to start heading toward them ASAP, but I have to wait for the prompts to come up, because I'm lost in the wilderness somewhere and I don't know which way would get me there faster/allow me to set up an ambush for the enemy team.

I like to "warm-up" or plays super casually in Attrition or Bounty Hunt and move to CTF, Hardpoint or LTS when i want to play "for-real" or partied up with other players.

I totally dig Bounty Hunt but could never take it seriously. Far too much randomness for it to be competitive for me personally.

robotrock

Banned
Still almost entirely Attrition. Didn't like bounty hunt at all in the beta.

I kind of hated Bounty Hunt in the beta as well, and the first few Bounty Hunts I played in the full game didn't do anything for me either. But once I figured out how the maps worked (by playing a lot of Attrition), I'm in love with Bounty Hunt.

Because of the fact you're holding money that will be halved and given to the other team when you die, it makes the experience more tense than the other game modes.

Also the way the AI spawns in Bounty Hunt makes them easy to find and more enjoyable to shoot at, as he way the AI spawns on Attrition can often feel a bit sparse.

dLMN8R

There's something about Titanfall 2 that's much more difficult for me to play online than the original.

I finished the campaign a couple days ago and didn't try any multiplayer until last night. But last night I played 7 or 8 games and literally didn't win a single game until the last one. And I can't just blame my team - I did awful in every game.

I feel like I'm being as cautious as possible, and am always moving and wall jumping / sliding / etc. to move quickly, but I'm just dying so unbelievably quickly and failing to do the same to others :-(

Maybe let me rephrase - if you could tell someone new to Titanfall 2 some basic tips to survive longer or handle their titans more effectively, what would you suggest?

Kade

Been having nothing but problems with this game and Origin and I think I might just give up and uninstall it. The game doesn't launch 8 times out of 10, when it does it'll randomly crash once a map loads or the party system will fuck up and put everyone in separate matches in the same game mode, invites will be sent to some people but not everyone in a network, some people will be allowed to join a party while the option doesn't show up for others in Origin, random disconnects to the main menu, Origin crashes that won't let me log back into the client, the log-in screen will say "Your session has expired", can't join in progress if you're kicked because you're still taking up a player slot that can't be replaced. Tried to play ONE match during my Network's Happy Hour since it started and there's now 20 minutes to go and I've yet to play. I've repaired the installation and I'm at my wits end. I love the singleplayer but the multiplayer has just been a technical disaster for me. Really frustrating especially coming off of Overwatch.

Top Bottom