• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Shit, now there's a Kamen Rider Shigou too. Might be in GP, might just be in webisodes.

ab66ede.jpg

I think that looks badass.
He pilots planes too.

WarRock

You guys have no idea how fucking crazy I got watching Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno, when I finally recognized Cho as motherfucking Ankh.

Btw, insanely good movie.

Corgi

Banned
You guys have no idea how fucking crazy I got watching Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno, when I finally recognized Cho as motherfucking Ankh.

Btw, insanely good movie.

latest

wait, is Kuzuryūsen in the movie? How would that work in live action o_O

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Picked up the Ninnin henshin device and the robo today. I'm not so sure about the Ninja Ichibantou, depending on how much the shuriken are it kinda (funny enough) doesn't seem as fun as the Gaburevolver or ToQ changer. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Otherwise the henshin sounds and stuff are all really fun and catchy, I'll most likely be going "nanja nanja, nanja nanja" all over the place for the next few weeks. Another thing, because it uses sounds from the Shuriken and the Ichibantou it kinda has the whole Gaim Kiwami Arms thing where sometimes if you don't do stuff just right the sounds to play in the right order and it sounds weird.

Shurikenjin is pretty fun though, I like that when you turn into different forms it kind of just changes it's whole appearance, not just replacing parts like with Kyoryujin and ToQou. And sounds! Even though it comes out of the shuriken and not the toy itself, I'm still glad to have it back.

WarRock

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kenshin/images/5/56/Kuzu-Ryu-Sen.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110814220807
wait, is Kuzuryūsen in the movie? How would that work in live action o_O
Bro, 90% of what they do I thought wouldn't work in live action.

Tobe

that picture with the 3 dino themed rangers? is that an episode or something ive watched all of them is it a special MUST WATCH IT! halp pls

sprsk

It was a sweet way to end the series i guess. The roll call was pretty good. Dont understand why they didnt use it for the rest of the series though.

Nice to finally get the baton touch though. Peace the f out ToQ.

Corgi

Banned
wish they would officially release the rurouni kenshin movies in the US. Either buy some bootleg hongkong dvd with subs, or worse, watch the TV-N sub.

WarRock

Damn, Ninnin is going to start and I haven't finished Kaku. Knew I shouldn't focus on GGG Final.

wish they would officially release the rurouni kenshin movies in the US. Either buy some bootleg hongkong dvd with subs, or worse, watch the TV-N sub.

The first one was released internationally, wasn't it? I would guess the last two will be released later this year.

Corgi

Banned
huh watched kenshin movie 2... don't think I saw Kuzuryūsen.

final move probably could have used some slowmo... but overall fights were great.

The story was complete nonsense though and they really shouldn't have tried to randomly slap the whole ninja clan stuff in this especially when they made sure that stuff aoshi wasn't in the first one.

Fun enough though.

sprsk

Wait I'm confused

Grita is alive?
Finale spoilers:
Pretty much no one dies, except for poor old Shwartz and Grita's mom. People were pointing out on the net that none of the generals died to ToQ, they either all defected or were killed by another Shadow line member.

Eh whatever, dare ja dare ja da~re dare ja

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finale spoilers:
Pretty much no one dies, except for poor old Shwartz and Grita's mom. People were pointing out on the net that none of the generals died to ToQ, they either all defected or were killed by another Shadow line member.

Eh whatever, dare ja dare ja da~re dare ja

I thought
Mork and Nero were absorbed?

WarRock

huh watched kenshin movie 2... don't think I saw Kuzuryūsen.

final move probably could have used some slowmo... but overall fights were great.

The story was complete nonsense though and they really shouldn't have tried to randomly slap the whole ninja clan stuff in this especially when they made sure that stuff aoshi wasn't in the first one.

Fun enough though.
Hirameki and Kuzuryusen are both in the third movie.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Dino Charger 02 Impressions - The episode is quite new, so these are somewhat spoilery (but people are openly discussing the unsubbed ToQger episode, so whatever):

I noticed that, in the intro, when each actor hows up, there's a light with their ranger-color (except black, which is a purple-ish light, but that's how black is usually depicted) that outlines them and Morgan's (Lady Scientist Doctor) light is white. I immediately thought "oh, that means she's Silver then. That's cool, we watched Kyoryuger and we know, but people just watching this don't". As it turns out
when I went looking for her name on RangerWiki, turns out she'll be the Purple Ranger? I mean, she even wears silver! What I thought was a clever nod doesn't seem to be then. Bummer.

I find it weird that they made Riley (the Green Ranger) practice Fencing - Souji had an unique style, and the moment Riley gets infused with the Green Energem, his style is already much more like Souji's. So why Fencing?

"We need to keep talking during battle scenes no matter what we're saying, be it grunts, attack names or random dialog" syndrome is in full effect. I hoped we would get less of those.

Rexy? Really? He doesn't seem to have such a strong personality in here like Gabutyra had in Kyoryuger. I hope that changes, as I liked how Gabutyra had a mind of it's own.

I know we (I, specifically, since I liked Kyoryuger so much) are a little biased on the subject, but man, the transformation is really lacking without the dancing. Feels like it's missing part of it. I hope Blue Ranger slips it in some episode (call it a Cavemen ritual or something weird). I liked the banter between their morphed selves and the monster, very similar to how they would do on the original series, down to arm movements, specially of the red ranger. Damn, we even get a "it's about to get wild". Looks like they did their homework this time around.

There's never time to properly introduce all characters. The black ranger (what's his name again?) is shooting around and has a pistol as his signature weapon. Why is that? It always ringed weird when brand new members already know all the attacks, movements, poses and everything, so it was nice seeing Shelby (Pink Ranger) not knowing how to activate the... Dino Battery? On the other hand, Riley (Green Ranger) is already in full ranger mode, even though he didn't even know you could morph into something else - you could say that the Energem gave them knowledge along with the power, but that's the easy way out.

I really liked the idea of Sledge being a bounty hunter and having a prison-ship filled with random monsters that he can use as fodder to capture the Power Rangers.

This season of Power Rangers still looks like it could be interesting. Weirdly enough, I'm excited to see what they do with the rest of the series.

WillyFive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cS2zDUxaM

Oh wow, even with the starting five mechs, you can combine it in two modes. The combining method is simple, too. Plus electronics, and it interacts with the sword changer thing. Really makes ToQOh look like dud.

Yeah, it's a great Zord. Hopefully the show does it justice, but I expect the combination sequence to be more awful CGI.

I wonder why newer mechs don't use the gold-colored plating that older mechs used.

WarRock

Heh, that Rayman debacle caused more people into despair than any villain in Wizard.
Not the best standard lol

Oh shit. Watched the 3rd one. So that's why everything felt weird lol.

Didn't know kyoto was a 2 parter.
Ah haha. To me the 3rd was the weakest one, with some weird plot decisions and editing, but the trilogy is amazing and totally worth watching. Great, great action scenes and art direction.

Corgi

Banned
still don't remember where Kuzuryusen was used in the 3rd movie...

who used it on who?

Most of the fight choreographer is a mess of sword flurries lol

vareon

still don't remember where Kuzuryusen was used in the 3rd movie...

who used it on who?

Most of the fight choreographer is a mess of sword flurries lol

Kenshin to Aoshi. Look it up, notice he strikes in 8 direction and finished with a thrust.

ReiGun

Watched Kamen Rider Taisen finally. Easily the best of the Taisen movies. Certainly had the strongest writing, though the Showa Riders were kind of assholes.

Heh, that Rayman debacle caused more people into despair than any villain in Wizard.

Perhaps Mewtwo can become their hope?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger Finale

That ending was... quite a bit of nothing. Mork and Nero "die" I guess, Grita turns out to be alive somehow and manages to rescue Z. Likely an explanation in the "ToQger Returns" movie.
The ToQgers are back home, they're kids again but this time retain their memories. At least the reunion was pretty good.
And yeah, the final battle was very similar to Gokaiger.
I knew Akira would say "this where I will live", predicated the moment his catchphrase was revealed. I kind of hoped it would be a more epic moment...

ToQger Overall

This was a pretty nothing season. It's definitely not the worst Sentai I've seen (Gaoranger still holds that title), and it's really more "mediocre" than "outright bad". This could have been done in like half the episodes. Maybe Kobayashi needs a break? It felt like she phoned it in this year (and now people are looking so fondly on Go-Busters after spending its run bashing it). The best word to describe this season is "safe", the safest Sentai possible. It's like Kobayashi was offended that people didn't like Go-Busters because of how it strayed from formula and retaliated "You want formula? I'LL GIVE YOU FORMULA!"
And really, for a show this safe, it's ironic that the theme is imagination. Could have used some of THAT.

I still stand by that Right was a really lame Red Ranger. If Marvelous has Luffy's leadership and Daigo had Luffy's enthusiasm, then Right has Luffy's love of food and nothing else. Even at the end with the whole "Dark ToQ 1", I just didn't care.
Hikari looked like he would be a good character, but he didn't really get any time to "shine" *dodges bricks*
Mio was fine. I guess... she didn't really stand out.
Kagura was a Pink Ranger... yeeeep.
Tokatti was the best of the main five, probably because he got the most character development. We actually got to see moments where he overcame his weaknesses.
Akira was an excellent Sixth Ranger. He could stand on his own in a fight, had some pretty good comedy scenes, and you have to like orange.

The mentors bothered me this season... is Ticket real? Why does the President wear a bunny mask? What the fuck is up with Wagon? Are we just supposed to take "IMAGINATION" as an excuse? Maybe the movie will address some of these.

Villains!
Really wish there was more to Z (or Zet/Zed) then "I'm an evil guy that saw shiny stuff once... I want shiny". I thought that him singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star at the end of 32 would lead to something. But it didn't...
Grita and all her drama was what kept a lot of the show going, and lead to many weeks where I declared that the villains were the best part of the show. I still stand by that, the Shadow Liner was what made the show worth it. At least the ones that mattered.
Like Schwartz! He was awesome! Great design, lots of good action scenes, even some nice character development.
Noire was alright too.
Didn't really care for Mork or Nero though... how fitting they were the ones to make it to the end.

As I said, the story could have been told in half the episodes. I know they have to play year round as that's how things work, but there was so much filler. A couple episodes were okay, like the one that reminded me of The Raid where they fight Crows in the tower. But there was a shitload of bad comedy episodes, which really makes me wonder what the tone of the show was... at the beginning people thought we were getting a comedy Sentai a/la Go-Onger, but that notion just went away.
Oh and then there's dragging out the "twist" that they were really kids, something that everyone figured out within in the first few episodes. We had to wait until Episode 32 for that official confirmation. That's more than half-way through the series!

And how about that fucking color changing gimmick? What was even the point? Sure, there was a couple of early examples where it was useful, but it was mostly pointless. Midway through it looked like there was finally a reason to use it with the Shadow Towns only allowing them 30 seconds morphed and they would have to change colors to keep fighitng, but that was negated when Hyper Express came in the picture and allowed all the time they needed.

Overall, ToQger was kind of lame. I mean, with that main Megazord, it was hard to expect more.
Here's hoping Ninninger is good! *poof*

ToQ was such a blah season, but I expected it following Kyoryuger. I have hope for Ninninger, even if the catalog scans make me think White and Pink are getting shafted like Shinkenger.

ToQGer had the mammoth task of following Kyoryuger and not be a trainwreck and in that it succeeded. There were parts that could've been handled a bit better but overall a good season.

Ninninger could be that work if the every other year its that crack cycle continues.

And hurray for shipping!

Top Bottom