• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kyoryuger > Zyuohger

Not to say Zyuohger hasn't been great, but Kyoryuger is hard to beat.

Zyuohger's characters are charming and the show has that nice back-to-the-basics feel to it, but at times it can feel rather unfocused with its various disconnected plot elements (in particular, I feel like they could've done better to tie together the Deathgalians, Zyuland, and some other aspects of the show). These parts are definitely greater than the whole at most times, which makes me forgive the show, but I feel as though it could've been better at tying everything together into the bigger picture.

Kyoryuger on the other hand is a pretty tight show in terms of its pacing. The show had clear, defined arcs running throughout, the characters all larger-than-life and are all likeable, and the action somehow balanced out the crazy amount of collectibles.

I dunno, I thought it is actually neat that the Dethgaliens aren't linked to Zyuland at all, gives off the pure alien invader thing. Actually when was the last time we had an alien invader in Sentai?

Also I give it credit to be daring. Shit like Yamato's attitude with his father is a rarity in modern sentai.

It amuses me that there are people who will defend Daigo when that scene where he rips off his shirt actually exists. Also that moment where he throws Amy out of the baddies fortress to go and solo the final boss himself.

A total roaster of a character. Can't stand him.

Kyoryuger > Zyuohger

Not to say Zyuohger hasn't been great, but Kyoryuger is hard to beat.

Zyuohger's characters are charming and the show has that nice back-to-the-basics feel to it, but at times it can feel rather unfocused with its various disconnected plot elements (in particular, I feel like they could've done better to tie together the Deathgalians, Zyuland, and some other aspects of the show). These parts are definitely greater than the whole at most times, which makes me forgive the show, but I feel as though it could've been better at tying everything together into the bigger picture.

Kyoryuger on the other hand is a pretty tight show in terms of its pacing. The show had clear, defined arcs running throughout, the characters all larger-than-life and are all likeable, and the action somehow balanced out the crazy amount of collectibles.

Kyoryuger is better in every single way, I feel. Story, characters, designs, music, action, jokes; even Daigo was a more interesting and entertaining Red and leader, it's what they two shows that came after it tried to copy and failed miserably.

Preach. Kyoryuger is by far my favorite New Sentai. Between W, Drive, and Kyoryu, Riku Sanjo has a free goddamn pass to come back to toku whenever.

It amuses me that there are people who will defend Daigo when that scene where he rips off his shirt actually exists. Also that moment where he throws Amy out of the baddies fortress to go and solo the final boss himself.

That is the best! The fact that you can google "Daigo Kyoryuger" and still get that scene is amazing.

tumblr_msf68w8z2b1s0mokmo1_250.gif

Like there was the scene they imagined in their heads, and there was the actor they had, and they still went for it.

Boss Doggie

Meh, Kyoryuger is too "we're so cool guys!" for me, and Daigo was really a spotlight whore. Only Nossan, Luckyiro and Candelaria were likeable. Torin was vanilla Doggie and felt unused.

Then again I remember Tokugaf shitting on GoBusters characters, so screw this place as far as tastes are concerned.

WillyFive

Daigo ripping his shirt was a legit funny scene. Also, Daigo would have died doing things by himself, it took the power of the team to allow him to deliver the final blow; it's not like Power Rangers In Space where it actually was Red all by himself defeating the final boss.

Meh, Kyoryuger is too "we're so cool guys!" for me, and Daigo was really a spotlight whore. Only Nossan, Luckyiro and Candelaria were likeable. Torin was vanilla Doggie and felt unused.

Then again I remember Tokugaf shitting on GoBusters characters, so screw this place as far as tastes are concerned.

The core three Go-Busters were bad characters, there is no way around it. The existence of J, Jin, and Enter doesn't change that at all. Kyoryuger did a lot of good work fixing the failures of the past season.

Boss Doggie

The core three Go-Busters were bad characters, there is no way around it. The existence of J, Jin, and Enter doesn't change that at all. Kyoryuger did a lot of good work fixing the failures of the past season.

But they were great. Yoko I'd argue is the weakest, but Hiromu and Ryuji were well developed characters.

See here's the thing - they're more nuanced, and less overt and in your face. I mean sure you can still have great characterization while being overt (see Jin), but their characters are more passive and visible through progression and interaction.

I mean hell, I love J, but his character is pretty much nothing to write home about. He's a self-serving egotist who does his own thing
and one really good character moment towards the end
, but that doesn't mean his characterization was "good" as he remained static.

It's why I never liked the Kyoryuger gang outside of Nossan's responsibility towards his niece and sister. Too static and gimmicky with their personality like a bunch of bumbling clowns.

Hell, it's actually why I like most of the ToQger cast (most, as in I never really cared much for Hikari and Right) - especially when things come together towards the end.

WillyFive

But they were great. Yoko I'd argue is the weakest, but Hiromu and Ryuji were well developed characters.

See here's the thing - they're more nuanced, and less overt and in your face. I mean sure you can still have great characterization while being overt (see Jin), but their characters are more passive and visible through progression and interaction.

I mean hell, I love J, but his character is pretty much nothing to write home about. He's a self-serving egotist who does his own thing

It's why I never liked the Kyoryuger gang outside of Nossan's responsibility towards his niece and sister. Too static and gimmicky with their personality like a bunch of bumbling clowns.

Hell, it's actually why I like most of the ToQger cast (most, as in I never really cared much for Hikari and Right) - especially when things come together towards the end.

The "Go-Busters were nuanced and deep characters" defense is among the worst used for that season. They were not nuanced or deep, that's just an excuse to call those who disliked the characters low brow or stupid. There are actual examples of deep and nuanced characters in other shows, even within Tokusatsu; the Go-Busters didn't have that except maybe for Jin and Enter. Red was a jerk with no likable qualities (or qualities in general), Blue had nothing to him except being slightly older than the rest of the group (compare that to KyoryuBlue and he transforms into cardboard nothingness), and Yellow had no notable character traits either, except that she was younger than the others.

And don't even get me started on the awfulness of the ToQger characters.

Boss Doggie

Hiromu was an asshole because of how he was expected to be treated as a newcomer even though technically he was trained just like them and has special abilities, though it was mostly with Yoko. He eventually learns to cool down and accept the responsibility he has to carry (primarily because his sis was adamant about it), learns to work with his teammates, and finally avenging the scientists.

Ryuji played up the "old brother" thing and is affecting him - in that he feels like he is getting old for this. He acts as the mature one but at the same time suffers from being a headfirst character that Gorisaki had to keep an eye on him. He was also close with Jin as his mentor, with the two talking about their future.

Yoko I agree was weak, but it was mostly because we've seen her shtick before. She is young and immature, rushes into things, and is overbearing. As the show goes on she matures up a bit, eventually realizing the importance of schoolwork as what she will do once her job is done.

also say what, you dissin' on Nossan

also in PR, is Boom's actor in all Disney-era seasons since SPD in some capacity?

Boss Doggie

double post because

SPACE SQUAD: TOKUSOU SENTAI DEKARANGER VS UCHUU KEIJI GAVAN TRAILER HYYYPE!!

also floating rumors on the remaining voice actors for Kyuranger foun in /ssg/ via 2ch, could be false but man it's hype

Ookami Blue / Garu - Yuki Ono (Ultraman Belial, Josuke Higashita)
Tenbin Gold / Balance - Hiroshi Kamiya (Konji Minamoto (Digimon Frontier), Izaya Urihara (Durarara!!)
Oushi Black / Champ - Kenji Nojima (Shiki Tohno (Melty Blood), Fox McCloud)
Washi Pink / Laputa 283 - M · A · O (implying you don't know her)

vareon

Happy that Mao Ichimichi's a great voice actress now. I played Nights of Azure a few weeks ago and didn't realize the entire time that the MC was voiced by her.

Pluto

also in PR, is Boom's actor in all Disney-era seasons since SPD in some capacity?
He was in all since Dino Thunder iirc.

Kira's producer in Dino Thunder
Boom in SPD
Phinias in Mystic Force
Norg in Operation Overdrive
Flit in Jungle Fury
Satbot in RPM

He also voiced monaters in Megaforce and Dino charge.

Good lord man

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid is so good. The plot, the mystery, the silly premise works, and the multi-layered issues.

Mighty Brothers XX is a damn good powerup.

Tiu Neo

double post because

SPACE SQUAD: TOKUSOU SENTAI DEKARANGER VS UCHUU KEIJI GAVAN TRAILER HYYYPE!!

also floating rumors on the remaining voice actors for Kyuranger foun in /ssg/ via 2ch, could be false but man it's hype

Ookami Blue / Garu - Yuki Ono (Ultraman Belial, Josuke Higashita)
Tenbin Gold / Balance - Hiroshi Kamiya (Konji Minamoto (Digimon Frontier), Izaya Urihara (Durarara!!)
Oushi Black / Champ - Kenji Nojima (Shiki Tohno (Melty Blood), Fox McCloud)
Washi Pink / Laputa 283 - M · A · O (implying you don't know her)

I heard that rumor somewhere a few days ago (twitter?), probably same source, said to take with a grain of salt. I hope it's true.

NOPE.

Ryuji was great. That scene where he uses the stage lamp to overheat to wail on Escape is 10/10. Everything else about him is cool too.

Tiu Neo

Finished Gingaman.

It's... an ok series. Some great moments, but most of the series was... just ok? The characters had their moments, with, of the main team, Blue and Green being my favorites. The extra hero, Black Knight, was ok on his first identity, and I really like the second identity, but on the last arc he got shafted hard.

The villains weren't bad, the extra characters were either ok, with Gouki's episodes supporting characters being cool.

The fights were ok, the effects were nice... but some costumes were pretty bad, even for its age. Some monster, and even the Galatic Beasts normal form look more like late 80s/early 90s, even if the Beasts *animating* looks great.

It's... not bad, not great. In the middle.

EDIT: Aaaand, with that, I watched every sentai from Jetman to Ninninger. Now, some of those oldies (most of the pre-Bioman sentai, Fiveman) will be hard to get my hands on. :(

Finished Gingaman.

It's... an ok series. Some great moments, but most of the series was... just ok? The characters had their moments, with, of the main team, Blue and Green being my favorites. The extra hero, Black Knight, was ok on his first identity, and I really like the second identity, but on the last arc he got shafted hard.

The villains weren't bad, the extra characters were either ok, with Gouki's episodes supporting characters being cool.

The fights were ok, the effects were nice... but some costumes were pretty bad, even for its age. Some monster, and even the Galatic Beasts normal form look more like late 80s/early 90s, even if the Beasts *animating* looks great.

It's... not bad, not great. In the middle.

EDIT: Aaaand, with that, I watched every sentai from Jetman to Ninninger. Now, some of those oldies (most of the pre-Bioman sentai, Fiveman) will be hard to get my hands on. :(
Gingaman seems like it was a good show overall, but not a bad or great show.

javadoze

Ex-Aid 14

In this year of our lord, 2017, I saw a surgeon remove a patient's late-stage pancreatic cancer to the sound of Kamen Rider Girls music playing in the background.
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole patient plot got resolved so easily for the interesting moral quandary it presented last episode. Despite that, the Double Brothers action scene, Hiro's development, and the ending revelation made for a good episode.

Boss Doggie

Nah they were vague about that. Yeah Hiiro did it, but the way he worded it made look like that operation was a success but we don't know if it won't return. Also I liken it more to how Kirk goes in Wrath of Khan.

Tiu Neo

Gingaman seems like it was a good show overall, but not a bad or great show.

Yeah, that's it. Some high moments, some fun moments, but overrall it's eh. Comparing with something recent, I'd say it's a bit like ToQger? A bit better, maybe, in some points, worse in others. A bit of wasted potential, but some characters kinda shine in it. I think I said it before, but Red Racer and Kakuranger's Sasuke actors are pretty good in this, even if Sasuke's character gets shafted for most of the series.

WarRock

Preach.

Knight Rider mixed with iron Man. I loved that in the same year, both Kamen Rider and ghost Rider switched to talking cars. What a time
Damn, that's true! Both great runs too.

Boss Doggie

I mean hell, I didn't know what GB did to Tokugaf before but I remember them shitting on GB's mecha battles after seeing Kyoryuger's.

I was like... w a t

I guess it's because the lack of CGI, but wtf.

Boss Doggie

double post bump because Ex-Aid news

so we got Episode 0: Kamen Rider Snipe as a bonus video for the second blu ray of ex-aid

and there's a Brave series too, seems like he's gonna face Ouja (!) complete with his actor, and we see Sasword, Beast, Tiger, and Dark Kiva too. Starts at Feb 19.

Boss Doggie

if there's some positives I could say, it's nice to know most of the new cast also enjoy Sentai, at least from what I've seen

jwk94

Man, that acting was rough. Hopefully it improves over the course of the season. Would've loved to see the returning villains be their original selves, but oh well. Premiere was decent.

The theme song is decent as well. I wish it had less "go go power rangers" but everything else works.

Boss Doggie

gonna milk that go go powerangers music huh

also wait, so it has zyuohger villain's premise, uses toqger's Nero, and the actual Ninninger villains are just "there"?

Man, that acting was rough. Hopefully it improves over the course of the season. Would've loved to see the returning villains be their original selves, but oh well. Premiere was decent.

The theme song is decent as well. I wish it had less "go go power rangers" but everything else works.

Another potentially good composition dragged down by the insistence on remixing the MMPR theme again.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninja Steel 1

Yeaah I hope the acting does get better. Preston was fine but Brody was... I really hope we don't have another Takaharu or worse Troy.
Not a fan of the nerd & jock duo, but it's only the first episode so we'll see.

Maaaan they went all out to be as different from Ninninger as possible. While also referencing it with the Ninninger Galaxy. Is this going to be a thing now? Are we going to get the Kyuranger galaxy in 2 years? Actually that makes sense since it would be space.

Poor Baron Nero, what happened to his face? That does explain why a Fearcat was in the preview. Also hi Venjix's first body.

That Zord foreshadowing was a bit on the nose.

Wait, blue is a literal magician, not a wizard? Hahah

At least it's better than Hogwarts existing for no reason.
Then again... hoverboards. Not even those crappy segways, actual Back to the Future hoverboard.

WillyFive

Peter and Yoshi deserve better than Dino Charge and Ninja Steel.

That premiere seemed like no one older than 1st grade should be watching it. Ninninger wasn't even good, why isn't Power Rangers trying to improve upon itself? So many baffling decisions at every level in this first episode.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Peter and Yoshi deserve better than Dino Charge and Ninja Steel.

That premiere seemed like no one older than 1st grade should be watching it. Ninninger wasn't even good, why isn't Power Rangers trying to improve upon itself? So many baffling decisions at every level in this first episode.

Because it's not at risk of being cancelled

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Because it's not at risk of being cancelled

That seems to be the only way to light a fire under their asses.
Dino Charge was basically the "sorry for Megaforce" season but they got complacent with Dino Super Charge and things got weird. That same complacency might be in effect with Ninja Steel, but still too early to tell.

Slayven

Almost 30 years and the writings is pretty much the same. You would think they would have evolved. You can swap out the jokes from 90s and they would be the same

Top Bottom