• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

silva1991

Music in the third dungeon is awesome.

If you think that the "power of singing" is hilarious, you shouldn't watch any of the Macross series. Or maybe you should, to convince you otherwise lol

I never heard of it lol.

As someone who loved P4G and is head over heels for P5 after playing the import, an I likely to enjoy this?

It's a decent fix for Persona, but don't expect story, characters and writing to be half as good or you will be disappointed.

casiopao

Of course.
instead of Barry joining the party for the sake of diversity, Memori joins instead
>.>

It is like u don't read the story where they had mention that Barry had lost all his power lol.

And Mamori is great lol. She is a young kid singing Enka song. What is better than that lol.

TunaLover

Just got the game yesterday, and the start is kinda slow, like tutorials last too long, anyway I just past Kiria first performance, I hope it get more interesting. BTW I loved the smartphone feature on the gamepad, generally I don't pay too much attention to skits but it's really fun being those conversations and emoticons ^-^

Malus

Not being able to use my items in the arena mode throws a wrench into things.

Just got the game yesterday, and the start is kinda slow, like tutorials last too long, anyway I just past Kiria first performance, I hope it get more interesting. BTW I loved the smartphone feature on the gamepad, generally I don't pay too much attention to skits but it's really fun being those conversations and emoticons ^-^

There's not really much of a tutorial. Just a bunch of story exposition I suppose. The dungeon crawling has been a lot of fun though once you get into the swing of things.

TunaLover

Also in audio settings I set the voice in 4 and music/sfx max because the former were too low in comparison to voices during battles.

silva1991

It is like u don't read the story where they had mention that Barry had lost all his power lol.

And Mamori is great lol. She is a young kid singing Enka song. What is better than that lol.

Well excuse me if I hardly pay attention to laughable stories, characters and dialogues.

All I know is that his persona(or performa or whatever the hell they call them in this game) was freed by the end of the battles and then Barry asked his persona to be with Mamori so, I assume he could have gotten his power back if he didn't ask him to be with Mamori.

Like I said before it's the combat and dungeons are what keeping me playing this game, because they are so much fun and not the story or the characters and their predictable cliched dialogues lol.

casiopao

Well excuse me if I hardly pay attention to laughable stories, characters and dialogues.

All I know is that his persona(or performa or whatever the hell they call them in this game) was freed by the end of the battles and then Barry asked his persona to be with Mamori so, I assume he could have gotten his power back if he didn't ask him to be with Mamori.

Like I said before it's the combat and dungeons are what keeping me playing this game, because they are so much fun and not the story or the characters and their predictable cliched dialogues lol.

Umm. Then why are u complaining about the story then lol. Don't blame the game when u don't give a crap about that part.

U can just go on and play for the battle system lol.

silva1991

Umm. Then why are u complaining about the story then lol. Don't blame the game when u don't give a crap about that part.

U can just go on and play for the battle system lol.

I expressed my slight disappointment over not getting Barry as a party member and party members are like...the most essential part of combat/battle system.

I stopped caring about the story since the after beating the first boss in the game.

Anyways, back to Mamori Grinding for her attack sessions.

casiopao

I expressed my slight disappointment over not getting Barry as a party member and party members are like...the most essential part of combat/battle system.

I stopped caring about the story since the after beating the first boss in the game.

Anyways, back to Mamori Grinding for her attack sessions.

Slight? U had been keep complaining from the start of ur play lol on the story.

But well, anyway going to move on from this topic as it is going to ruin this thread. If u wanted to grind faster, i suggest u go try ur skill in the Arena.

Don't be afraid of running if u feel u are going to die as u are still going to get the money and exp enough to keep levelling up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Let's be honest, P3 and P4 were just as full of predictable cliches and tropes.

Malus

I'm growing to appreciate the characters/writing more as the game goes along. It's nothing amazing but there's some charm to it, helped along by how wacky the core concept is.

Been playing on hard mode like some recommended. The chapter 3 main boss provided my first real roadblock. Did some grinding, unlocked some moves, and summoned a giant plush toy to vomit rainbow juice on the boss and all went well!

TunaLover

I'm getting more familiar with the flow of the game and I like the battle and request system being straight forward, it's a change of pace from more cluttered "deep" systems, I love the overall setting/music it's somewhat quirky in a good way. Now my main problem is refilling EP, not sure if I'm doinv it wrong but I'm visiting Daitama Idolsphere often to refill my EP, I do that from that green sphere near the first boss, I know I can buy items to refill it too but currently they are out of stock on Ho market? And the cafes/soda machines only refill my HP...

casiopao

I'm growing to appreciate the characters/writing more as the game goes along. It's nothing amazing but there's some charm to it, helped along by how wacky the core concept is.

Been playing on hard mode like some recommended. The chapter 3 main boss provided my first real roadblock. Did some grinding, unlocked some moves, and summoned a giant plush toy to vomit rainbow juice on the boss and all went well!

Totally agreed. While the characters maybe cliche, the execution on their side story is quite charming. It took a very positive look of the industry which funnily kinda works lol.

random25

I'm getting more familiar with the flow of the game and I like the battle and request system being straight forward, it's a change of pace from more cluttered "deep" systems, I love the overall setting/music it's somewhat quirky in a good way. Now my main problem is refilling EP, not sure if I'm doinv it wrong but I'm visiting Daitama Idolsphere often to refill my EP, I do that from that green sphere near the first boss, I know I can buy items to refill it too but currently they are out of stock on Ho market? And the cafes/soda machines only refill my HP...

Every food and drink in the city refills everything, including status effects. They also randomly increases luck of party members so go drink/eat often before going dungeon crawling.

Andyliini

I think I'm almost at the end of the game now. I'm in Chapter 6 now, and the story just got quite interesting with all the references to Shadow Dragon etc.

I have clocked about 61 hours now, it'll probably take about 10 more hours to complete the game, and at this point, I'm trying to get done with it as soon as possible. Not that I don't like the game, I really do, but always towards the end of the game I'm playing, I always start thinking what should I play next, and then get the urge of crunching the current game to end quickly.

Anyway, this will probably be the first Atlus game I have ever beaten, hopefully this pushes me to complete more of them later. Great game, made with love. Shame about the sales, though.

Off topic: 300th post, whoo-hoo.

Malus

Around 47 hours in and I just finished the chapter 4 intermission. It only just hit me how...episodic the game has been so far. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but I'm just surprised by how little I really know about what's going on in the big picture. Just makes me even more curious about the ending that I remember spawned it's own thread here.

Also I went from getting my ass kicked by the chapter 3 boss and feeling like lowering the difficulty later was inevitable, to now feeling like a juggernaut. So many powerful options at my disposal. Mamori in particular just beasts everything. The combos are getting more and more ridiculous as well, and I mean that in the best way possible. Those Duo arts man...I don't care if the cutscenes are 30 seconds long and unskippable, they're awesome.

My fav quest line has probably been Ellie's. Call me a sap but I thought it was really well done, and some of the dialogue options later on were hilarious. I continue to warm up to this game, it's just a really well rounded quality experience. In particular I really enjoy how everything sort of feels significant, even if in small ways. When you complete a side mission, the concert/commercial/show you helped produce will appear in ads all over town and NPCs will talk about it. The way that ad-lib performances and special moves reference missions/character relationships with awesome battle animations. It's all just so satisfying. Though I think NPCs mostly talk about main mission stuff, it's still fun to read their thoughts.

The biggest compliment I can give it is this: I'm actually happy that Tokyo Mirage Sessions turned out to be a game about pop star idols/entertainment industry, rather than the original Fire Emblem x SMT concept. It's been a heck of a refreshing ride.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Around 47 hours in and I just finished the chapter 4 intermission. It only just hit me how...episodic the game has been so far. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but I'm just surprised by how little I really know about what's going on in the big picture. Just makes me even more curious about the ending that I remember spawned it's own thread here.

Also I went from getting my ass kicked by the chapter 3 boss and feeling like lowering the difficulty later was inevitable, to now feeling like a juggernaut. So many powerful options at my disposal, Mamori in particular just beasts everything. The combos are getting more and more ridiculous as well, and I mean that in the best way possible. Those Duo arts man...I don't care if the cutscenes are 30 seconds long and unskippable, they're awesome.

My fav quest line has probably been Ellie's. Call me a sap but I thought it was really well done, and some of the dialogue options later on were hilarious. I continue to warm up to this game more and more, it's just a really well rounded quality experience.
You can skip duos though... I forget which button.

Finished the game yesterday after 60ish hours. Really enjoyed it, absolutely fantastic battle system and great soundtrack . The only things I did not enjoy were the censorship, and maybe the final dungeon dragged on for a bit too long. And I would have enjoyed a romance option.

I remember reading the devastating comments when the overhauled game was revealed and was very disappointed. How lucky it reviewed well in the West and I ended up giving it a chance. After all I absolutely loved the setting!

tinders

Just started this. Figured it would be a good game to play while the GF is watching her bad TV. About an hour in, it looks like there is no off TV play... This will significantly impact my opportunities to play.

First impressions are great though. I'm seeing lots of potential for the battle system!

Malus

Can I just say that Tsubasa's solo is flippin' awesome? Because it is.

Also
Yashiro's
first side mission vaulted him up into the top 2 or 3 characters, easy.

Just started this. Figured it would be a good game to play while the GF is watching her bad TV. About an hour in, it looks like there is no off TV play... This will significantly impact my opportunities to play.

First impressions are great though. I'm seeing lots of potential for the battle system!

I didn't know I could enjoy turn based battles so much. Accessible without being shallow, and fun just to watch all the crazy moves play out.

I do mourn the lack of Off-TV play, if only because it prevents me from getting headphone audio.

silva1991

I beat the game and thought it was good overall except for the story and characters.

I don't know if I was underleveled, but the final boss was BRUTAL. Fun, but brutal and I don't think I as prepared enough.

Anyways good game and better WiiU JRPG than XCX IMO.

I might play through NG+ if there is at least one optional dungeon.

Let's be honest, P3 and P4 were just as full of predictable cliches and tropes.

Sure, but at least the story and quality of writing are way above this imo.

Malus

Just beat the final boss. That was fucking awesome. The final dungeon, the leadup, the fight itself. Always adds to the epicness when you beat it in your first encounter ;)

Mamori is a beast. I didn't even use the special performance they granted me for that fight lol. Microwavin Heart all the way.

I think it's fitting that, like the characters themselves, I hardly know anything about the Fire Emblem universe. Played Radiant Dawn but that's it. Hearing about them talk about FE characters like an ancient legendary tale was great. It's like we were a bunch of modern day heroes re-enacting the old legends, even more fitting that they're performance artists. It's funny too that whenever I hear the FE theme I'll probably think back to this game before any of the FE games lol.

All that's left is to tie up some post-boss loose ends.

Andyliini

I, too, beat the final boss just the other day. The boss was very epic, as were the dungeon before the boss, all the build up, and that cutscene before it. Also, I was happy about the final boss, that unlike in Fire Emblem: Awakening
uou actually get to battle Medeus.
I won on my first try, was around level 60 for everyone, with their best weapons in hand, so the battle was quite simple. Sure, the boss hurled some big balls of hurt at me, but it was simple enough to recover from those. Took me almost exactly 73 hours to beat, so decent playtime received. Not Xenoblade Chronicles, but still.

Altough this game didn't sell well, I hope Nintendo and Atlus continue with their collaborations in the future. The game is of very high quality, despite a few frame rate hiccups here and there. Also, this is the first Atlus-developed game I have ever beaten, so yay.

Malus

Aaaaand it's done. I love that credits theme lol.

Overall impressions:

+ Stylish, colorful visuals
+ Catchy and epic music
+ Great combat with fun dungeon crawling
+ Really well done cg concert cutscenes
+ Very satisfying ending in terms of both gameplay and buildup/resolution
+ Some charming and enjoyable moments with the characters and writing
+ Good play value clocking in at 86 hours to complete

- The amount of load screens can be a bit annoying
- Compounded by some backtracking involved in sidequests and the need to warp to Bloom Palace for upgrades
- Good moments are met with just as many bland moments that fall flat in terms of characters/writing
- Could use a quest log. This isn't a game where you're doing a dozen quests at once, but it'd still be nice.
- NO HEADPHONE SUPPORT :mad:
- Some graphical hiccups in terms of aliasing and framerate. Not the biggest budget game.

All in all it's probably the best game I've played this year, though I am on the postgame high. Positives heavily outweigh the negatives. It's between this, Dishonored DE, and Shovel Knight.

Durante

Why didn't anyone tell me that this was Persona, but with 2 of the most annoying parts (randomly generated dungeons and social links) fixed?
25 hours later: sadly, it's still a Persona-style battle system, so not particularly interesting strategically or tactically in the long run :/

Rappy

25 hours later: sadly, it's still a Persona-style battle system, so not particularly interesting strategically or tactically in the long run :/
I've never actually played a Persona game (have played some SMT tho) but to my understanding the biggest edition to that type of battle system is the Session system right? Not sure how far 25 hours in is, but I thought there seemed to be a decent amount of strategy involving Sessions and weapon/element/type weaknesses later on in the game. Of course, I played on hard, didn't abuse the OP items, and tried to do most things at a lower level. But yeah, the battle system wasn't incredibly deep or anything but I thought it was fun and challenging at times.

MoonFrog

I think the weakness system does keep normal battles more engaging by making them more variable than a standard turn-based RPG with a more one-size fits all approach by the end. I do think sessions lose their zest as the game progresses and they become just a matter of course because you have so many connections, everyone has open audition, etc. Random dual arts add to the feeling that the system has begun to play itself where at first it was more thoughtful.

Also, as a comparison to Persona 3&4, I do think TMS does a better job at making boss battles engaging than those games. Reinforcements that need to be bursted down or ignored as you finish off the boss, changing weaknesses (because of knock down, bosses typically lack weakness in Persona or they are ridiculous like some mid bosses on the tower), splitting and reforming bosses, etc. I thought TMS was a solid JRPG in terms of boss design. Playing it on hard and lunatic was rewarding imo.

Anybody else hoping this gets pushed to Switch?

Wouldn't be opposed to it, but I imagine their justification why it would get ported is because the gamepad has a large function in the game (and it didn't sell too well).

It's a great game. I'm currently playing through it and I'm about 35 hours in. The game shines when it's having fun with its characters and adding in fun little quirks to the battle system. Having just had to run through rehashes of previous dungeons, I feel like it's starting to run out of steam a little as I near the end.

BTW: The collectors edition on Amazon is really discounted. It's about $62.

MoonFrog

I don't want a sequel per say, but I definitely want them to try SMT x FE again and take some things from this. It was a good game, but I want less J-Pop and better FE crossover.

Wouldn't be opposed to it, but I imagine their justification why it would get ported is because the gamepad has a large function in the game (and it didn't sell too well).

Yeah, I think it's possible to port the game to a system that doesn't have two screens, but it would be a lot clunkier to do so (if you thought having to answer Roman's phone calls constantly in GTA IV was a problem...). That said, I hope it happens anyways because the game deserves another chance.

JoeFu

Banned
I've owned this game since it came out, but didn't play too much. Been playing a lot more this past few weeks and finished chapter 3 recently. Currently doing a bunch of sidequests during the intermission. I love this game. Just did the Tsubasa sidequest where she talks to a cat. It's so freaking cute. The music is great, the characters are great, the battle system is great. I hope this game gets another chance on the Switch so we can get more stuff like this.

Rainy

Banned
Was randomly thinking about TMS today, one of my favorite games of the year. Chance of a sequel or something are slim aren't they? Considering how badly it sold.

Top Bottom