• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

tmsfe_by_aloooo81-da7bwn1.jpg

OT is up!!

Eurogamer - Recommended

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-22-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-review

Gamespot - 8

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Fe is gorgeous, fun, and a smart collaboration all around. Backtracking through dungeons and running up against tedious bosses can bring the momentum down, but overall the game is something worth exploring. After a few dozen hours the semi-ludicrous story and systems set in front of you feel so comfortable together that this mashup of developer Atlus' most popular franchise and Intelligent Systems' beloved strategy RPG seems like it was destined to be.

Also wrote a review for my Belgian/Dutch readers ^^

4Gamers (Dutch): 85/100 http://www.4gamers.be/reviews/53935/1/Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions

Wiitalia.it: 8/10

"Our suggestion is: don't miss TMS#FE because it will able to provide hours and hours of entertainment to many people: lovers of J-pop culture, JRPG fans, manga-fans thanks to its great combat system and an unexpected attention to character personality. Even Fire Emblem fans could find a way to love it because of the strategy required by the Fusion system, not mentioning how the classic FE characters cameos could be seen as a game-in-the-game. Those who like the look&feel of the product should also take a close look to the Fortissimo edition to not miss out on the artbook and on the OST selection".

lazygamer - 8/10

People jumped the gun a bit or EU had a different embargo, but here's my take on the game.

The site I write for (GameSkinny) gave it a 9/10.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a great JRPG addition to the Wii U's library. It takes elements from both the Persona series and Fire Emblem series to make something new, and it is truly something worth experiencing. The game is beautiful, the plot is enjoyable for anime fans, and the battles are exciting and flashy enough to capture the attention of any fan of either series.

I would recommend at least borrowing or getting the game on sale for the presentation alone. The battles, overworld, and even the dungeons are easily some of the most visually impressive on the Wii U. The anime style, as well as the abundance of color, really helps this game's overworld pop out of the screen. This goes doubly for the battle scenes, and make this game easily one of of the most impressive games visually on the Wii U hardware.

Here are member reviews and impressions for the Japanese copy from the import OT if it will help make your decision on the game.

I am unable to fit every single impression on this page due to how much each of us has written. I will make these links that you can access by clicking on them, if you can try to read all the impressions!

Kanaan
InternHertz
Sakura
Shun
kunkun
ranmafan
Waji
Jiraiza
Dengeki Online Award 2015 Reveiw
Billinguist Video Review

rhandino

Banned
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a celebration, and it rightly should be. If a crossover between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei, a top-shelf JRPG native to the Wii U, cannot delight in its own existence, I don't know what can.
Yaaaaas!!!

I am ready for this game to end me tomorrow!

7/10

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/06/22/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-review/

While the game is overall exceptionally solid, aurally things are something of a mixed bag. The Yoshiaki Fujisawa-penned J-Pop entries to the soundtrack are outstanding and if you’re a fan of artists such as fripSide or LiSA – who shares her last name with lead Tsubasa – then you’ll be overjoyed every time you reach a point in the narrative for a new one and the frankly incredible choreographed cutscenes that accompany them. Unfortunately this is tempered by the repetitive and often oppressive themes used in the Idolasphere and Tokyo overworld, which may have you reaching for the remote, especially as they take the lion’s share of the aural landscape.

Neifirst

I'm so pleased that this a straightforward, turn-based JRPG instead of some strategy hybrid. There's more than enough Fire Emblem on Wii U virtual console and the 3DS already. Already have the digital version downloaded and ready for Friday!

Lucifon

Mine arrived yesterday. Only managed to play 45 mins but it seemed really charming and I particularly love the messaging/SMS style interface on the gamepad. Looking forward to playing more this weekend, my partner is away for the full Saturday so I'm going to have a good go on it.

I was a bit mixed on whether or not I would keep my preorder of this but what I have seen over the past few days has me somewhat excited.

satire77

When is this game releasing in Europe? i thought it was coming out everywhere this week, but can't find it in amazon spain

Oberon

Banned
My review for now is: I can't play it D=
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Edit: My 1/10 may have been a bit mean.

My review for now is 1/10.
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).

WAT. That sucks....

Anyone else can confirm?

I forgot I preordered the game from Bestbuy so probably I will receive it on Monday. RIP weekend (メ゚皿゚)

That may be inconvenient but it hardly reflects the quality of the game.

Sagely

Awesome, I was already excited for this so it's good to see that it's being well received. I listened to some of the OST yesterday and it sounds great! Super excited to play once it arrives :)

6/10

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/22/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-review/

Tokyo Mirage Sessions’ clumsy and often cringe-worthy storyline is a real test of endurance, while the music offers little incentive to continue on your journey either. And, in essence, side stories are just dressed up sandwich filler. With such a promising blend of franchises, Tokyo Mirage Sessions strikes gameplay at the wrong angle, resulting in a bubbling, confusing mess. But ultimately, it’s saving grace is in its visuals, dungeon exploration and superb array of weapons and skills. Chrom, your legacy deserved better.

gbland

WOW. I've been keeping an eye on this game for awhile. I don't have a wii u but this game is bringing me to the point of "I wish I had a Wii U"

Osahi

My review appared in print, but I gave it a 83%, with rougly this as the conclusion slugline:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a Shin Megami Tensei game in all but the name, and has hours of dungeon crawling fun on offer with a brilliant battle system. Earplugs are advides to escape the J-Pop soundtrack though.

Suffice to say, I loved it. As a SMT-fan this is just a new entry in the series (there is little FE on offer ;) ) and I indulged in it's weirdness.

WAT. That sucks....

Anyone else can confirm?

yes no off-tv. can't really remember about the sound part since haven't touch the game for months, but pretty sure sound on gamepad is only for touchscreen stuff interaction (jingles etc) considering your gamepad is like itsuki's smartphone lol

WAT. That sucks....

Anyone else can confirm?

It wouldn't surprise me. Xenoblade X was the same unless you forced Off-TV play.

It's a shame, you'd think Nintendo would mandate some rules around this.

For example Splatoon streams all its audio through to the GamePad for headphones only even though you can't play it exclusively on the screen.

Glad to see this getting good reviews. Been excited for this one since the re reveal of the game last year. Can't wait to play it on Friday.

LiK

Your TV doesn't have speakers or are you just using a monitor?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

AHAH I laughed!
btw, this is mine:

Wiitalia.it: 8/10

"Our suggestion is: don't miss TMS#FE because it will able to provide hours and hours of entertainment to many people: lovers of J-pop culture, JRPG fans, manga-fans thanks to its great combat system and an unexpected attention to character personality. Even Fire Emblem fans could find a way to love it because of the strategy required by the Fusion system, not mentioning how the classic FE characters cameos could be seen as a game-in-the-game. Those who like the look&feel of the product should also take a close look to the Fortissimo edition to not miss out on the artbook and on the OST selection".

Get some external speakers

Top Bottom