• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
is this the type of music that will be in the game? the awful soundtrack of xenoblade wiiU basically ruined the entire game for me. really want to pick this game up but all of my sensibilities are telling me to cancel my preorder.... i don't like jpop, i don't really like anime... but i love the gameplay of persona/smt.

what to do!

Just pretend they're all singing about the 49ers and are rooting for them to do well!

Better than the source material

tumblr_o9715n4m8L1r9s07oo1_1280.jpg
What about the Fire Emblem games that scored higher such as Awakening and Fates?

Unless your showing only the games it scored higher then, still it's rather impressive it's shaping up to be a good-to-great game

Hugstable

Banned
Atlus 3DS games go on sale at a fairly regular clip.

Also lol @ comparisons to actual SMT games- yeah okay.

digitally Atlus games do seem to go on sale alot. Not sure if it's gonna be the same with physical on this game, don't see them printing too many copies.

It should be since the way you get it is via a in game scenario.

Really the game has dozen or so of costumes per character. You have tons of variety to choose from.

yay! Saw it in a video once and thought it looked hilarious. Can you wear the costumes during battles or is it only during dungeons?

Ridley327

digitally Atlus games do seem to go on sale alot. Not sure if it's gonna be the same with physical on this game, don't see them printing too many copies.

You can't consider this an Atlus game, since it's funded and published by Nintendo. The game is going to be on their watch when it comes to sales, and I'm not expecting any in the near or far future on the eShop, let alone in retail stores.

Hugstable

Banned
You can't consider this an Atlus game, since it's funded and published by Nintendo. The game is going to be on their watch when it comes to sales, and I'm not expecting any in the near or far future on the eShop, let alone in retail stores.

Oh damn didn't know that, yeah sales for this might be really rare then

Shun

yay! Saw it in a video once and thought it looked hilarious. Can you wear the costumes during battles or is it only during dungeons?

You can use the most outrageous, adorable, cool, outfit you want that you can choose from in battle. You get a pretty good variety for every playable party member.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
is this the type of music that will be in the game? the awful soundtrack of xenoblade wiiU basically ruined the entire game for me. really want to pick this game up but all of my sensibilities are telling me to cancel my preorder.... i don't like jpop, i don't really like anime... but i love the gameplay of persona/smt.

what to do!
Life's too short and money's too valuable for you to force yourself to like something. Just wait for the SMT4 sequel and P5.

Vena

Is this even a full Atlus game? Or is it a mix of SPD and Atlus (and then external hires by Nintendo and avex for seiyuu work and music).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What about the Fire Emblem games that scored higher such as Awakening and Fates?

Unless your showing only the games it scored higher then, still it's rather impressive it's shaping up to be a good-to-great game
You know the reviews are whack when RD scores lower than SD.

Hugstable

Banned
You can use the most outrageous, adorable, cool, outfit you want that you can choose from in battle. You get a pretty good variety for every playable party member.

Thanks! This just made me more excited to play this

You know the reviews are whack when RD scores lower than SD.

I consider SMT IV being one point higher than Nocturne the bigger offender :mad:

Actually NVM, I'm kinda surprised SD scored that high in the first place

I think thats more on console vs. handheld expectations/normalizations for scores.
I don't know about that.

But perhaps their are different expectations. However Radiant Dawn was a bit unforgiving to new players. If people had trouble with Awakening, RD was hell. Still SD should've been better then it was. It was too faithful to the original in my opinion and ugly

Copper

Kind of wish I didn't sell my Wii U last month. This looks like it a solid JRPG I'm hearing bad things about Star Ocean and was hoping that would scratch my JRPG itch :(

Voliko

Does this have dialogue choices? Multiple endings? Or is it more of a by the book RPG?

I might get it but only because Atlus hasn't made Devil Survivor 3 or anything outside of Persona/mainlineSMT/EO in years...

Hubb

So there are ingame costumes you can get beyond the DLC ones? If so that is good to hear.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I really liked p4 but I'm not a big fan of all the jpop idol garbo that seems to be a big thing in this game, is it really in your face about it? Also whats the consensus on the story, is it better than offensively bad?

Smellycat

Color me surprised. I honestly thought this game was terrible until other gaffers pointed out that it only bombed in sales in Japan.

I've beenwwatching some streams of this being played. I need to play it but it looks like a solid 9 to me. I think fans might rate it higher than the critics.

Hubb

I really liked p4 but I'm not a big fan of all the jpop idol garbo that seems to be a big thing in this game, is it really in your face about it? Also whats the consensus on the story, is it better than offensively bad?

It is a game about idols and the idol industry. I'm sure it is in your face and then some.

ranmafan

Seeing all the great reviews just brings a smile to my face! All well deserved. So excited for all those playing this game for the first time this week.

Shun

So there are ingame costumes you can get beyond the DLC ones? If so that is good to hear.

Yes there are plenty of costumes not exclusive to DLC that you can choose to use if you hate eyepatch Kiria and Kentauros Tsubasa.

It is a game about idols and the idol industry. I'm sure it is in your face and then some.

The story is a character focused one that is more of a maturation and coming of age that ends up as a mostly positive message and feeling by the end with some dark elements that help lead up and build the character development.

The entertainment motif is more of a vehicle to drive character interactions and growth as that is a lot of the focus and where the game excels most.

The story is no where near offensively bad like say Fire Emblem Fates was.

I mean there isn't any other game that has Quentin Tarantino and Marty Friedman from MEGADETH and Hatsune Miku parodies all in one game so I'm pretty sure even despite the music, there are a lot of references and interactions regarding other parts of the entertainment industry in it.

There are like only 2 characters that want to be an idol, the rest want to be actors, television hosts, models, singers/vocalists, stunt artists, and more.

I doubt every reviewer made it out of Eridanus and Horologuim with their sanity intact.
and to be fair, I never beat the game since I started college around that time but the hours I put into it were amazing. Its probably too late at this point but I would love a remastered version of it on 3DS like how Devil Survivor and Soul Hackers got with full voice acting.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey is the EO3 Princess costume for Eleonora a preorder thing or can I purchase it as DLC? I saw in JP it was part of the Special edition they had, is it the same here?

and to be fair, I never beat the game since I started college around that time but the hours I put into it were amazing. Its probably too late at this point but I would love a remastered version of it on 3DS like how Devil Survivor and Soul Hackers got with full voice acting.

Yes I would love if they did for that game what they did for DeSu games. Plus 3D for the dungeon crawling would be cool :D. Also yeah the game really takes it out of yeah on some of the later dungeons, and the last boss at least in Neutral is hard as shit. It's a very challenging game in both battles and dungeon crawling, but it feels so rewarding when you finally finish it.

That game felt like a boring slog through dungeon to dungeon. Don't get the reverence for it

Yeah the dungeon gameplay is something that you will either like, or dislike. Some of the teleporters and traps do get a bit much in some of the later sectors, I had fun with it though, started mapping stuff out on graph paper and everything lol

Shaanyboi

Banned
My review for now is: I can't play it D=
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Edit: My 1/10 may have been a bit mean.

uhhh this is more your problem than the game's

Infinite

That game felt like a boring slog through dungeon to dungeon. Don't get the reverence for it

Shun

Hey is the EO3 Princess costume for Eleonora a preorder thing or can I purchase it as DLC? I saw in JP it was part of the Special edition they had, is it the same here?

Yes. The EO3 Princess costume for Kiria will be in the Special Fortissimo Edition and will come with DLC codes for the game that includes the costumes and farming missions.

It can also be purchased separately.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's part of the "Atlus Collaboration" set, which you can purchase day one for $2. You get Protagonist from Devil Survivor 2, Rei from Persona Q, Walter from SMT4, and the Princess from Etrian Odyssey 3.

It's also free if you got the LE since it'll have all of the DLC included.

ranmafan

Now we must all buy 10 copies each to get hat sequel!

If I could I would, I want that sequel more than any game ever at this point. I love this game so mug! Although I did my best to buy as much of the games goods that we're on sale at the concert they did to show my support.

Hugstable

Banned
Yes. The EO3 Princess costume for Kiria will be in the Special Fortissimo Edition and will come with DLC codes for the game that includes the costumes and farming missions.

It can also be purchased separately.

It's part of the "Atlus Collaboration" set, which you can purchase day one for $2. You get Protagonist from Devil Survivor 2, Rei from Persona Q, Walter from SMT4, and the Princess from Etrian Odyssey 3.

It's also free if you got the LE since it'll have all of the DLC included.

Sweet thanks. And all 4 costumes are only 2$?! That seems really cheap for 4 DLC costumes

Shifty1897

Hopefully this game will be backwards compatible with the NX. I want to play it, but I don't want to buy a Wii U for it...

Scrawnton

I decided to preorder this game today. I love Persona 3 and 4 and I love SMT Nocturne and SMTIV. I also enjoy Fire Emblem so this seems like a no brainier to me.

Looking forward to the time I spend with this one.

robotrock

Banned
Is this game going to be diffucult?

I could manage playing on Normal for Persona 4. Shin Megami Tensei 4 though completely kicked my ass, even on the "Easy" mode.

Top Bottom