• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

Astarte

To be perfectly honest I am absolutely upset about cleavage and panties. It was practically the only reason I was going to buy the game to begin with.

The positive reviews are really surprising, to be honest. It's making me consider buying the game anyways, so I'm somewhere in the middle of the road. Maybe I'll buy it if I see it on sale. Though I'll have to keep an eye on the physical copy, because regardless of my lack of confidence in it having a decent story, it has superb art on that case.

I mean straight up I'm a fan of those too but I've been excited for this game for months
even with the armpit censoring.

I knew that the combat would be great for sure, so I expected good reviews just because of that.

This one game isn't enough to make me want a Wii U, but I'll jump on NX if it can get multiple games like this. 3DS, Vita, and PS4 are still receiving all the action.

The censorship is still disappointing, and it gave this game negative publicity for no good reason. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it is a shame.

Nyoro SF

Don't really get this? The passive skills etc all have slot limits, there's a lot more in depth decision making than other smt games. Also sessions is tons more complex than one more systems.

I mean, if this game is considered to have more depth than an SMT game, then that's not a good look for SMT (I've never played an SMT game).

Slot limits for passive skills don't affect you until you are waaaay late into the game. And these passive skills, the best ones are very apparent, so it's not hard to pick and choose (for instance, it's always better to have status resistance than 2-point attack buff). And once again, you don't really "do" anything with them, they're passive after all.

Session attacks are just auto-followups that deal damage; for 99% of the time there's no reason not to go for them. If that's more complex than another system I'm kind of staggered as there's almost zero thought behind them besides a teammate potentially getting blowback damage (happens very rarely).

#FE has been on my radar for about a year. I talked myself out of preordering the Special Edition, and seeing all of the positive reviews is getting me excited. I think I'm going to wait about a month because I want to finish some other games first.

However, I don't want this and FFXV to get in each other's way as far as my playtime is concerned.

Anyone know anything about DLC for the Wii U? Like costumes or something?

Aters

I mean, if this game is considered to have more depth than an SMT game, then that's not a good look for SMT (I've never played an SMT game).

Slot limits for passive skills don't affect you until you are waaaay late into the game. And these passive skills, the best ones are very apparent, so it's not hard to pick and choose (for instance, it's always better to have status resistance than 2-point attack buff). And once again, you don't really "do" anything with them, they're passive after all.

Session attacks are just auto-followups that deal damage; for 99% of the time there's no reason not to go for them. If that's more complex than another system I'm kind of staggered as there's almost zero thought behind them besides a teammate potentially getting blowback damage (happens very rarely).

I think SMT is simple mechanically (if you only consider the combat aspect). It's not like you have to master many systems. It is still challenging though. I think the depth of SMT comes from the negotiation skills, which play a significant role if you are on higher difficulty.

I think SMT is simple mechanically (if you only consider the combat aspect). It's not like you have to master many systems. It is still challenging though. I think the depth of SMT comes from the negotiation skills, which play a significant role if you are on higher difficulty.

Another aspect of the difficultly is just being prepared and buffing and debuffing. The battle system never gets more complex than something like press turn or passing turns which is kind of just like combos. #FE doesn't need to be super deep for me to enjoy but if it is fun and can be difficult, then I'm just fine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees Amazon has updated status for LE to "preparing for shipment* 2 more days....I'm hopefully just gonna use the entire weekend to get a good amount started. Been a while since I last played a console RPG considering the amount of free time I have now & it's been hard to keep myself motivated to continue. Doesn't help I'm getting Zero Time Dilemma next week.

Anyone know anything about DLC for the Wii U? Like costumes or something?
There's basically 2 costume sets (one of which is an "Atlus Collaboration" set) & the other three are quests to help with EXP, items, & such. All 5 are free if you get the LE, but should also be available day one on the eShop for about $2 each. You can see more details about the DLC here.

Dantis

I am very surprised by the scores this game is getting.

I am still not remotely convinced that the game isn't terrible. The GamesRadar review says 'it even has mid-dungeon dance routines!'. What kind of bizarro world are we living in where reviewers are acting like this is a great addition?

Very odd. Maybe it's good if you can get past the off putting tone. Who knows.

Glass Rebel

I am still not remotely convinced that the game isn't terrible. The GamesRadar review says 'it even has mid-dungeon dance routines!'. What kind of bizarro world are we living in where reviewers are acting like this is a great addition?

Multiple people playing a game and liking it and you not playing it and not liking it.

How very odd, I agree.
jbhmmm.png

So lemme get this straight...

You've got a Persona 4 avatar, which is undeniably the game that #FE is most like, yet you're saying that this is a bizarro world that people like a game like this? Like, literally, take Persona 4, and take that stylin ass background music, and now theme the whole game off of it. And name a few characters after FE characters. Bam. #FE.
And... it's off putting?

Mkay.

Obviously Nintendo is unloading the chest for this game.

I don't know about you, but that sounds amazing to me. I haven't been following the game super closely because I want to experience it myself as fresh as possible, but all of the idol stuff sounds so silly that I can't help but smile at it. I wish more games had stuff like mid dungeon dance routines.

If you dont play the game of course you dont know nothing. Might as well ignore it and let this game shine son. Sometimes games you dont like get a W, and in that case you get the L

aBarreras

maybe it-s good because it-s good, who knows... oh wait we know since mutiple people already played it and said it is good

What do you have against dancing?

Yarbskoo

I fail to see how a dance routine is an inherently negative thing.

CSX

Decided to take the plunge.

My love for FE and SMT is just too strong even with this weird conception of a game lol

Jintor

Catsuit naoto

Dance routines?

As someone who often finds dungeon crawling to be the most monotonous part of JRPGs, hearing that dungeons are broken up with dance routines has me going

yes-nod-kyle-bosman-498x276.gif

Dantis

I don't know about you, but that sounds amazing to me. I haven't been following the game super closely because I want to experience it myself as fresh as possible, but all of the idol stuff sounds so silly that I can't help but smile at it. I wish more games had stuff like mid dungeon dance routines.

I guess it's just not for me. I am very surprised to see it scoring so highly though. Genuinely feels strange to me that people are so into it, when it seems like such a niche premise.

hughesta

Banned
I guess it's just not for me. I am very surprised to see it scoring so highly though. Genuinely feels strange to me that people are so into it, when it seems like such a niche premise.
Idol stuff notwithstanding, a good game is a good game.

Sandfox

I'm gonna be juggling this and ZTD lol.

The Gaf members who played the Japanese version had good things to say about it and it won a goty award in Japan. Atlus makes quality games.

silva1991

The story is, well, uh, it has one.
It's pretty basic, the side stories are more fun (when they're not asking you to kill 10 monsters for them or whatever).
In chapter 5 they basically just dump the entire back half of the story on you all at once lol.

I might buy it

I'm dying for some fun turn based combat

It will be funny if this ended having better reviews than FF15(and it's highly possible :p)

Cubas

Does any review mention how long this game is? I love Persona 4 but I'm not in the mood for a 80 hour game right now. If it's something closer to 40-50 hours long I might get it this friday.

cj_iwakura

It always looked like a great game. Just layered beneath a lot of unusual facets.

Mediking

AMAZON FINALLY SAID MY SPECIAL EDITION IS SHIPPING TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They might not be into idols but maybe the game was charming enough that they still liked it. Or the game was good enough for them to see past. I'm glad that reviewers seem to be embracing #FE after it was dragged through the mud by the internet. Hopefully it means more people will check it out and give the game a fair chance even if it isn't directly appealing to them.

Everybody said it's kinda simple, but nothing as outrageously bad as say ... Conquest.

I'd be scared if they managed to have a story worse than the mess that is Conquest.

Top Bottom