• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

It seems that I will end up buying this game for the combat like I did with Bravely Second.
I will wait for the price to go down tho. The Bravely Second collectors edition was really expensive to import from the US

tolkir

GOTY competition for Wii U last year is around 3 games competing.

This year in Japan Twilight Princess HD will automatically get GOTY for Wii U. It's competition is Star Fox or Might No. 9 lol.

Only Wii U games get GOTYs in Japan? Rest of games consoles must be trash then.

Nerokis

Okay, yeah, I'll be busting out the Wii U for this. I've gotten a lot of exposure to idol culture over the past couple years thanks to my girlfriend and her friends, and SMTxFE's unexpected deep dive into that world intrigued me almost immediately. It's exciting to see all these outlets so receptive to something so strange. :)

giphy.gif

How's the story compared to games like Persona 3 & 4? Light? Non existent? Engaging? Immersive?

I am having doubts about buying the game after all. I barely would have time to play it too.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Why the hell doesn't it just send all audio to the headphone jack when something's plugged in? It should've happened at a system level, but okay fine it didn't. It happening on a per game level should be an oversight. This is such a no brainer quality of life feature. Guess I won't be playing this for a long ass while, thanks for the heads up.

The Wii U has an option in system settings for sending the audio signal through the Red and White analogue A/V outputs. Just use your old Wii A/V cable for that. If you have external speakers that accept those inputs, you could use those even while sending the video signal via HDMI. Shame it can't optionally be sent through the headphone jack, but this could help.

What to Do:
If you have not already, connect the Wii U console to the television or monitor via the HDMI cable. How to
Locate a Wii AV Cable or a Wii Component Video Cable.
Locate the proper inputs on your speaker system and connect the audio (red & white) inputs.
From the Wii U Menu, launch "System Settings."
Using the Left Stick, scroll to the "TV" icon and press the A button.
Select "TV Audio-Output Type."
Press the X button or select "Output-Cable Settings" at the top right.
Select either "Non-HDMI" or "Both" depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
Selecting "Non-HDMI" will output sound only through the device that is connected to the Wii AV Cable or Wii Component Video Cable.
Selecting "Both" will output sound out of the device connected to the HDMI cable and the device connected to the Wii AV Cable or Wii Component Video Cable.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1545/~/how-to-use-the-wii-u-console-with-an-external-speaker-system

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I'm playing Ar Nosurge atm and not only does it have a log, but it also has an index that you can pull up anytime you see an unfamiliar word during a conversation for an explanation of it in it's in game lore and it's amazing. That along with a little box in the pause screen that always tells you what you need to do next in case you take an extended break from the game, makes me wish every JRPG had these QoL features.

On the Wii U, specifically, you think they could have had the text log on the Wii U gamepad. Ah well, whatever.

LProtag

So many games coming out.

I have to juggle this with Star Ocean V and Zero Escape 3, especially since I'll be away for the weekend and will basically get them all at the same time.

Shun

Is there a link to a story with this info in it? Interested to read what the team said and why they felt it was a success.

They were general comments made at the #FE Live concert held last month where the voice actors and development team hosted the event at Nakano Sun Plaza and addressed things about their time making the game, their thoughts on their time working on the game and that they want to make a sequel, as well as the voice actors for the game singing their personal image songs for the fans on stage.

They mentioned things like how they are so glad they found success within such a passionate fanbase who enjoyed the game and came out to the concert as well as how much they want to possibly continue the IP despite it's low sales.

Ranmafan is one of the members who attended here at this message board, and all the sentiments were made both in Japanese on twitter and on JP blogs like GOZLINE.

This all, aside from the music on that soundtrack assuming it's in the game as well, would surely come out of the game's marketing budget, not it's production budget. No?

It's all what Nintendo had to pay for alongside the avex company to get everything to happen since this became a multimedia project alongside a game. They would still have to record all the personal songs for each character and work with the avex company to get them printed on CDs and out to events.

Vena

It's all what Nintendo had to pay for alongside the avex company to get everything to happen since this became a multimedia project alongside a game. They would still have to record all the personal songs for each character and work with the avex company to get them printed on CDs and out to events.

Didn't they end up doing quite well on the music sales side of things? Or did I misremember/mishear something on that note?

FluxWaveZ

Didn't they end up doing quite well on the music sales side of things? Or did I misremember/mishear something on that note?

Pretty sure there was never anything official said about that other than the common sentiments of gratefulness regarding fans' enthusiasm, such as the people who went to the concert.

Shun

They never addressed the CD sales, but the print did sell out at one point and got reprinted.

The team at the concert joked about how no one at the concert bought the game, to make a jab at it's low sales, since a lot of those who attended already bought the game.

Coincidentally, after the concert sales for the game and interest for the game ramped up a lot through an amazon sale and promotion with the game to tie in with Persona 5 as well as good word of moth.

Sadist

Hehe, cool to see the game is liked. I was on board even with the first trailer. If the producers and directors worked on SMT Strange Journey, IV and Devil Survivor you can't go wrong. Super excited.

kiuo

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence to get it because it was supposed to be a mesh of both FE and SMT but i guess theres little FE in here, which was what i was looking forward to.

Only played one FE game, Radiant Dawn, as I'm not much of a strategic type of player, but I've always liked it because of its mature theme of war and dealing with death of characters etc. Not to mention any and all character felt like they could be the main character which was a first for me ever, it was pretty shocking and quite interesting tbh.

So I was excited at a more action oriented rpg coming out, only to find out it was not to be I guess. As I also found the tokyo mirage session's story and music was pretty cringey. This review just seals the deal.

Have a fantastic time with it though to those interested in the game.

Mediking

I was hoping that Amazon would ship my SE today so I could get it tomorrow because I'm actually off from work tomorrow.... I hope it comes early Friday morning!!!

Sterok

Wii U GOTY 2016 is a battle between this and Pokken (assuming you don't count remasters). We already saw what happened to Star Fox, and I'm not looking forward to the reception Color Splash will get. Slim pickings this year.

Nyoro SF

Going desperate in that review because honestly the combat is simply. ..well...great
It is deep, strategie, Rich. ..Even overwhelming with its richness

Well... having played the game almost to completion, the battle system is too simple. That's one of the few complaints I have about the game myself.

Well... having played the game almost to completion, the battle system is too simple. That's one of the few complaints I have about the game myself.
I think this brings up the topic of "what makes a combat system deep, shallow, complicated, simple, etc."

Games like the SMT and Dragon Quest series have "simple" battle systems but have loads of option to create different tactics. Then you have games like the Tales series which almost the opposite is true

Edit: And that's not even getting into out of battle factors like equipment, party arrangement, etc. This all would make an interesting thread now that I'm thinking about it

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think it has a lot of depth and richness with all the fusions, the bonus and malus status, all the performa / carnage and so on but I totally understand different opinions

But call it lazy seems strange to me

FluxWaveZ

I was outspoken before about how much I hated the fact that ambient dialog and battle dialog wouldn't have subs, but man do I hate that even more playing the game. Feels like I imported a Japanese game sometimes.

people on twitter sure are upset over clevage and panties

Being reductive doesn't help.

Nyoro SF

I think it has a lot of depth and richness with all the fusions, the bonus and malus status, all the performa / carnage and so on but I totally understand different opinions

But call it lazy seems strange to me

Well to be blunt, all that stuff like unlocks, leveling or fusing and such just creates a lot of passive abilities and auto-skills. It doesn't actually add any strategic layering; there are times where you feel like the game is winning for you and the leveling adds to that feeling as your powers increase.

The game is tough when it comes to buffs, debuffs, status effects and damage dealt from bosses but the actual battle system you control has very thin strategic value in my opinion.

Wow, I am surprised to see this game fare so well. And while I've never heard of the reviewer who reviewed it at Polygon, I'm a big fan of many of their writers and reviewers and trust her taste to run similar to mine.

My birthday is this week and I've already treated myself to some JRPG goodies with Star Ocean 5 and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. I may need to use some of those b-day gift cards to throw more anime onto the pile with this game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well to be blunt, all that stuff like unlocks, leveling or fusing and such just creates a lot of passive abilities and auto-skills. It doesn't actually add any strategic layering; there are times where you feel like the game is winning for you and the leveling adds to that feeling as your powers increase.

The game is tough when it comes to buffs, debuffs, status effects and damage dealt from bosses but the actual battle system you control has very thin strategic value in my opinion.

Well that is true but only...partially.
First of all you have to look at the turn rotation to properly plan your immediate action, you have to look for eremo weak points and your partners support abilities to create combos, but in particular you have to ma are your carnage and skill creation to manager the right Weapons equipments and skill abilities to create a coherent party to create combos
So the strategy layer is outside the dungeons and the actual battle system and can be found and managed outside/before it

To be perfectly honest I am absolutely upset about cleavage and panties. It was practically the only reason I was going to buy the game to begin with.

The positive reviews are really surprising, to be honest. It's making me consider buying the game anyways, so I'm somewhere in the middle of the road. Maybe I'll buy it if I see it on sale. Though I'll have to keep an eye on the physical copy, because regardless of my lack of confidence in it having a decent story, it has superb art on that case.

Aters

I have limited experience with Fire Emblem and I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game...how difficult would this be for a newbie?

Not at all...
In fact you'd enjoy it more if you don't know what it could have been, the game is good in its own right.

Don't really get this? The passive skills etc all have slot limits, there's a lot more in depth decision making than other smt games. Also sessions is tons more complex than one more systems.

Top Bottom