• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

You know what, I haven't played a traditional jrpg in a while. Might just bite on this based on the good reviews. I was fairly convinced this would be a throwaway title, too.

silva1991

Feels good

013jslo.jpg

02w1sqw.jpg

05dtssc.jpg

Yup I'm buying the physical version

too bad it takes like a month for Wii U game to come here in Saudi Arabia

hope it won't be banned like Bayonetta 2 -__-

Tranquilo

Banned
Cool Amazon charged me, and said it shipped already...

I've yet to get that notification, and it's making me nervous. My Amazon Prime shipments have been hit or miss lately, with some 2-day-guaranteed orders taking up to 5 days to get here. I had Planet Robobot pre-ordered with release day delivery through Prime, and it didn't get here until the day after release. Since it was the fourth shipment (almost in a row) to arrive past the Prime-guaranteed date I got in touch with customer service to complain.

I just... I just have a feeling that I won't be seeing this box on Friday either. It's such a petty first-world problem, but seriously, why am I paying them $100 a year if I can't count on my Prime benefits actually panning out?

KLoWn

I ain't been that long since Xenoblade Chronicles X's release >.>
That was like 7 months ago, way too long. And I know I didn't say it, but I meant the turn-based kind of jrpg. The last one of those I played was SMT IV, and I can't even remember how long ago that was.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The way I understand it is that the Gamepad functionality is not optional, but playing it on the Gamepad is. The game even supports Wiimote + nunchuk and the Classic Controller as options.

You can control it with the pro controller, but the gamepad is still needed for other things.
Ah, okay. I was using Google to confirm if pro controller worked, never heard anything about gamepad being required for certain moments. That might explain why there's no off-tv play.

Ridley327

Ah, okay. I was using Google to confirm if pro controller worked, never heard anything about gamepad being required for certain moments. That might explain why there's no off-tv play.

It sounds it works a lot like Xenoblade X in that regard, though XCX does have off-TV play that (mostly) works on its own.

....mostly.

I've yet to get that notification, and it's making me nervous. My Amazon Prime shipments have been hit or miss lately, with some 2-day-guaranteed orders taking up to 5 days to get here. I had Planet Robobot pre-ordered with release day delivery through Prime, and it didn't get here until the day after release. Since it was the fourth shipment (almost in a row) to arrive past the Prime-guaranteed date I got in touch with customer service to complain.

I just... I just have a feeling that I won't be seeing this box on Friday either. It's such a petty first-world problem, but seriously, why am I paying them $100 a year if I can't count on my Prime benefits actually panning out?

I mean shit, I would take your hit or misses over mine since I don't normally qualify for 2 day shipping, let alone release date shipping.

Ridley327

Starting it up off tv was always a gamble lol.

It is pretty amusing that there's a big Monolith Soft RPG that feels unfinished for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual playable content. Love the game, but I'll be the first to admit that it could have done with a few more QOL additions, like not needing to get out of off-TV mode in order to use quick travel.

marmoka

Banned
Looks like the game is finally great in the end. I'm happy to know that, and mostly after all the controversy the game had because of the J-Pop and Idol atmosphere.

This game is not for me, I won't get it. Although I'm a Megaten fan, I have never played any Fire Emblem game, and I don't like JPop and idols either. But it's great to know that you guys will enjoy the game.

Both Nintendo and Atlus did it again, another great JRPG. Now I cannot wait to get SMTIV Apocalypse, and Persona 5. Being European, I hope Nintendo and Sony decide to publish both games in this territory.

Dandte

Looks like it's still a solid Game, even With censorship. Won't buy it for the Full Price though. Hopefully someone will do a complete: "everything that is censorship in this Game" Comparison.

KLoWn

Regarding the censorship... The only thing they changed was a swimsuit or something like that, right?

Dandte

Regarding the censorship... The only thing they changed was a swimsuit or something like that, right?

And Smokey cleavages, ages, dlc, ingame Outfits, Videosequenzen, pin up Posters And so on.

This was Most wanted Game since it's Reveal because of the Art Style, Music Idol Business etc. I don't care if the cleavage is Smokey or not But i hate censorship in Media.

chrono01

And Smokey cleavages, ages, dlc, ingame Outfits, Videosequenzen, pin up Posters And so on.

This was Most wanted Game since it's Reveal because of the Art Style, Music Idol Business etc. I don't care if the cleavage is Smokey or not But i hate censorship in Media.
It's not just the censorship, it's the inconsistency of it. When you see a wedding dress in a cut-scene, that has your arms/upper chest covered in a type of white cloth, and then immediately see that same wedding dress in-battle, sans cloth and with cleavage for everyone to see, it kind of pulls you out of the experience. It's one thing if they want to edit something, just make sure it's consistent. :/

I've already voiced my opinions on the censorship, so I'm not going to repeat myself here. It is disappointing, since the rating likely wouldn't have changed any (unless they were originally trying to aim for an E-rating and Nintendo of America suddenly decided to aim for T instead and left the other half of the content uncensored) and with them being so inconsistent with them it just seems so sloppy, but I'm still going to buy/play this game. I'm not as excited as I was, but I'm still interested.

Nice to see these review scores though, even if I don't personally agree with all of the changes made. The hot springs DLC being cut is depressing, since it wasn't even lewd and gave you some character development. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't want the thread to go into another censorship argument, but man, I REALLY dislike what they did to that one dungeon because that actually played into the plot. Seeing they made even more changes to it than I initially thought is really disappointing.

Not enough to make me not play the game, granted, but that quote from RPG Site about how it clashes with the theme of said dungeon feels spot-on the more I hear about how it was changed.

It's not just the censorship, it's the inconsistency of it. When you see a wedding dress in a cut-scene, that has your arms/upper chest covered in a type of white cloth, and then immediately see that same wedding dress in-battle, sans cloth and with cleavage for everyone to see, it kind of pulls you out of the experience. It's one thing if they want to edit something, just make sure it's consistent. :/
This as well, it feels even more off if you're not consistent with it. It just feels baffling why some of these choices were made, especially when as mentioned above, they mess with the intent of the themes of part of the actual story.

KLoWn

Well, that's more than I thought it would be, but nothing super major. And yes, censorship is bullshit.

Shun

As long as Kiria's Cat costume is still in the game I'll be fine.

(it's still in right?!)

It should be since the way you get it is via a in game scenario.

Really the game has dozen or so of costumes per character. You have tons of variety to choose from.

ohlawd

I am very surprised by the scores this game is getting.

I am still not remotely convinced that the game isn't terrible. The GamesRadar review says 'it even has mid-dungeon dance routines!'. What kind of bizarro world are we living in where reviewers are acting like this is a great addition?

Very odd. Maybe it's good if you can get past the off putting tone. Who knows.

lol not surprised to see you hate on something that has actual good gameplay. keep having awful taste. the game's been known to be good since its release in Japan and you're still in denial lolol

If you dont play the game of course you dont know nothing. Might as well ignore it and let this game shine son. Sometimes games you dont like get a W, and in that case you get the L

I couldn't say it any better. perfect post.

Mr Rivuz

I am very surprised by the scores this game is getting.

I am still not remotely convinced that the game isn't terrible. The GamesRadar review says 'it even has mid-dungeon dance routines!'. What kind of bizarro world are we living in where reviewers are acting like this is a great addition?

Very odd. Maybe it's good if you can get past the off putting tone. Who knows.

An Atlus jrpg being a good game?
So odd.

is this the type of music that will be in the game? the awful soundtrack of xenoblade wiiU basically ruined the entire game for me. really want to pick this game up but all of my sensibilities are telling me to cancel my preorder.... i don't like jpop, i don't really like anime... but i love the gameplay of persona/smt.

what to do!

diaspora

is this the type of music that will be in the game? the awful soundtrack of xenoblade wiiU basically ruined the entire game for me. really want to pick this game up but all of my sensibilities are telling me to cancel my preorder.... i don't like jpop, i don't really like anime... but i love the gameplay of persona/smt.

what to do!
Wait for a sale if you don't like what the game is aesthetically.

This reviewed a lot better than I thought it would, based on GAF's impressions. I might have to pick up this game. I'll watch more footage to see if it interests me.

I'm intrigued by everything except for the singing and dancing....Don't know if I should bite or not. This feels like a game that will have a first print and then disappear completely.

Top Bottom