• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) announced for PS Vita [Up: direct-feed screens]

Takao

Banned
Tb5oIT1.jpg

0S5IdHq.jpg

s7aGuQD.jpg

Official Site: http://www.falcom.com/tokyo_xanadu/index.html

Gematsu:

The game is set in the fictional “Morimiya City” located in the Tama district on the outskirts of Tokyo. The protagonists attend Morimiya Academy and get caught up in an otherworldly incident, and with it, a major conspiracy.

Dengeki PlayStation details the first two characters:

Kou Tokisaka (Protagonist) – A 17 year-old second year high school student. Though brusque in his mannerisms, he’s not unfriendly towards others and is an archetypal modern day student all around. He uses a sword whip and specializes in mid-range attacks.
Asuka Hiragi – Kou’s classmate. She has an attractive face and figure, quick reflexes, gets excellent grades, and is class president. Though on the outside, she looks like a typical heroine… She wields a one-handed sword and specializes in close combat.

During the game’s modern parts, players will explore areas like the school and shopping district to trigger events before heading to the spirit world to progress the story. During spirit world parts, players will explore labyrinth-like areas and fight against enemies using weapons known as “Soul Devices.”

On February 26, Falcom will release a Tokyo Xanadu custom theme for PS Vita users to download.

First, more character and world details:

When the protagonist sees a new transfer student getting into a fight with some delinquent students, he goes over to help them. But at that point, he’s met with a strange vision of a girl retrieving a shining sword.
Asuka is a returning student from overseas. She’s secretly investigating incidents related to the spirit world on orders from an organization that possess the Soul Devices.
The spirit world isn’t normally detectable to normal people. The protagonists are able to do so after a certain catalyst is triggered.
The game is set in a slightly different rendition of Tokyo from the real thing, thus the kanji for ‘kyo’ being different.
We’ve acquired a lot of know-how in developing the Ys and Trails games, but we wanted to try out a different field.
So far there’s been Zwei!! and Nayuta no Kiseki, but we wanted to tackle a different title.
The younger staff are taking the initiative of project planning and development.
While the entire staff hasn’t changed, the young members are putting work into the costumes and setting.
The game is a modern era/other world RPG where players will go on an adventure to solve mysteries and incidents.
Action parts have a free-control camera.
We also have jump actions.
We’re considering things like targeting systems to make the game easier to play.
The foundation of the game is made up of modern day adventure parts and other world action parts.
They’re proactively designing the game such that players are better able to enjoy the story.
Falcom’s attention to detail on town NPCs (e.g.: their backstory, movement patterns, etc.) remains present.
We have a number of main characters, more so than the Ys series’ six characters.
We have a large number of modern day characters. People that enjoy the teenage character style will take kindly to them.
[...]
Launch is scheduled for after summer 2015. The main scenario is almost done and we’re currently toning up the action parts. I have no doubt we’ll release it by the end of the year.

Lots more at the source.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
duckroll misled us.

How dare you ducky. How dare you!

Happy it's a PSVita title; hopefully it comes overseas, maybe as a HDfied PS4 title?

hongcha

Another awesome Vita exclusive for 2015. I really thought they'd go PSV/PS4 for this one, like the upcoming Ys. Also happy that it's an Action RPG. Nayuta no Kiseki was superb!

Another awesome Vita exclusive for 2015. I really thought they'd go PSV/PS4 for this one, like the upcoming Ys.

It's less surprising that it's not a PS4 title after that magazine ad that mentioned that Ys is going to be their first game on the PS4. This is supposed to come out before that.

Aeana

I'm waiting for duckroll to come in and explain how it's still a mobile game anyway and crush everyone further.

I'm not so pessimistic as duckroll.

If it was a big publisher, sure.

But I still hold Falcon in high enough regard that I don't believe their Xanadu revival game is going to be "mobile junk."

Plus if it was just that, I don't think they would be keeping it that much of a secret in terms of what to expect.

In other words, lalalalala can't hear you duckroll lalalalala.

duckroll

I'm just doing what Aeana asked me to do. :(

It's an action RPG and it's on the Vita, which is region free. Even if it's a F2P game, I don't see why anyone would be particularly upset. I'm sure Falcom knows what they're doing!

It's an action RPG and it's on the Vita, which is region free. Even if it's a F2P game, I don't see why anyone would be particularly upset. I'm sure Falcom knows what they're doing!

XSEED doesn't publish their games on the Asian store.

Tldr; F2P will cut us off, since there won't be a boxed version.

JNA

Banned

I know. You do good work! :D

Aeana

Don't act like you don't enjoy it.

Speaking of teh Duckroll: anyone know if tri-Ace's Judas Code is stuck in limbo? I'd have to assume they finished the game before selling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Falcom used a new Xanadu to revolutionize, perhaps join the F2P crowd. Hopefully not in a way enforcing pay-to-win.

Takao

Banned
So this is a F2P game on the Vita?

Duckroll is the only one saying that right now.

Speaking of teh Duckroll: anyone know if tri-Ace's Judas Code is stuck in limbo? I'd have to assume they finished the game before selling.

Judas Code came out a few months ago. I believe tri-Ace does events for it. If it's making money, I'm sure their new owners will keep it around and maybe port it to phones.

Reveirg

Awesome! VITA is still receiving lots of nice japanese support... Ys 8, new SaGa, Oreshika 2, P4D, Rise of Mana, and now this! :eek:

Top Bottom