• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) announced for PS Vita [Up: direct-feed screens]

Reveirg

This game looks like Ys and Persona had a baby, and it was an awesome baby. VITA means life, etc.

Scans look great! =D

Aeana

The scans look good, but I'm not even remotely enthused at the idea of Ys 7's party system cropping up in yet another game.

The scans look good, but I'm not even remotely enthused at the idea of Ys 7's party system cropping up in yet another game.
And it's from "the younger staff", too, which has me believing this will affect Ys games for years to come.

I wonder how much Falcom's had on Atlus since their formation, given that Xanadu sold amazingly well on PCs to begin with.

Excellent. Very pleased with their choice of platform.

It certainly does sound like Falcom's take on Persona from what was described so far, but I'm down for any Falcom game. They've more than earned my trust.

Can't say I understand the history of this series though, even after scouting through that earlier-posted diagram.

Looking forward to hearing more about the game in any case.

Reveirg

I hope they find a "twist" to differentiate themselves from Persona (other than being an Action-RPG), because right now it sounds a lot alike. That's still a good thing... we need more present-day japanese RPGs.

I'm super hyped for this, love Falcom.

Shahed

Yeah. It's not that I think it's bad by any means. But I've had my fun and want to try something new now

duckroll

Caught up on the news so far. It looks pretty interesting. Seems like party based random dungeon crawling in the "otherworld" during missions, and more of an ADV style game in school and around the city during the day. High school students, modern setting. Very Persona. The characters carry XIPHONE smartphones with biometric features, and there'll be SNS features in the game. The story is progression is episodic. Younger staff at Falcom are being encouraged to express themselves in this game, and they're aiming for a release between Summer and Fall. There'll be a free Vita theme for the game released on PSN on Thursday.

Hmmm... Falcom did say that this is supposed to be their first release of 2015, so if it could be as late as Fall, does this mean Ys isn't out until the end of the year? Could it slip to 2016? PS4 development must be hard...

Does duckroll even have a source, or is he just trolling idiots?

This was never about insider stuff, if I know something or heard something, I'm usually upfront and direct about it. :p This was speculation based on the fact that Falcom was cagey about the platform, and how they literally posted a recruitment notice on their twitter for people who want to make smartphone games and MMOs, and used the Tokyo Xanadu key art! People can choose to ignore an educated guess, but they can't resist getting hurt because they know in their hearts the direction the entire industry is going in Japan! :)

It's not bad though. As long as every character levels up even when not in the party, great system.

It's not like characters are very deep in these games anyway, so more options is always good.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm... Falcom did say that this is supposed to be their first release of 2015, so if it could be as late as Fall, does this mean Ys isn't out until the end of the year? Could it slip to 2016? PS4 development must be hard...

Ys should hit in the fall of 2015. They're missing a mainline Kiseki game for the usual Oct/Nov period of X-mas sales, so Tokyo Xanadu + Ys8 + Sora no Kiseki Evo is probably 2015's replacement.

I mean, Ys8 development could be hitting problems, but so far no one's really complained about PS4 development tools and Ys8 basically looks like an 1080p rendered Vita game like God Eater 2 and such, and they've been making this formula of Ys for years now so it'd be really surprising if they were hitting major hurdles.

Shizuka

XSEED needs to get this out ASAP. The Vita isn't getting any younger, specially if you're planning to bring the Sen no Kiseki games to the West as well.

duckroll

Ys should hit in the fall of 2015. They're missing a mainline Kiseki game for the usual Oct/Nov period of X-mas sales, so Tokyo Xanadu + Ys8 + Sora no Kiseki Evo is probably 2015's replacement.

I mean, Ys8 development could be hitting problems, but so far no one's really complained about PS4 development tools and Ys8 basically looks like an 1080p rendered Vita game like God Eater 2 and such, and they've been making this formula of Ys for years now so it'd be really surprising if they were hitting major hurdles.

I think the Evo games are more of a Kadokawa thing? I'm sure Falcom gets royalties from it, but it's probably less than their own releases. They're definitely lacking a big 200k Kiseki title this year, I wonder how much of it can be made up by Ys and Xanadu. Hopefully at least half!

Aeana

School life adventure crap, Ys 7 style party system, random dungeons... I'm tentatively sitting this out, I think, unless they show something particularly interesting.

Bebpo

Banned
I think the Evo games are more of a Kadokawa thing? I'm sure Falcom gets royalties from it, but it's probably less than their own releases. They're definitely lacking a big 200k Kiseki title this year, I wonder how much of it can be made up by Ys and Xanadu. Hopefully at least half!

They are Kadokawa but yeah, I'm sure they see some $$ from it! Plus it props up their brand and makes it seem like there's no gap in yearly Kiseki releases.

Last time the gap between Ao no Kiseki (2011) & Sen no Kiseki (2013) was filled by Nayuta & Ys Celceta (both 2012, July & September).

Makes a lot of sense that 2015 is Xanadu & Ys8. 2016 back to Kiseki again.

Bebpo

Banned
School life adventure crap, Ys 7 style party system, random dungeons... I'm tentatively sitting this out, I think, unless they show something particularly interesting.

Falcom games, unfortunately, do tend to chase the money and the money's with Persona-isms right now for jrpgs.

I mean Zero/Ao no Kiseki added more anime/soejima like portraits and Sen is about schoolkids. Now Xanadu has school sim and random dungeons.

I don't know anything about the heritage of the series, but the art style and the high school setting scream clichéd anime tropes. At least the Vita is getting new games, though.

duckroll

Falcom games, unfortunately, do tend to chase the money and the money's with Persona-isms right now for jrpgs.

I mean Zero/Ao no Kiseki added more anime/soejima like portraits and Sen is about schoolkids. Now Xanadu has school sim and random dungeons.

If it gets them more money, I'm all for it, since I'm not allergic to those stuff. The Ys party system though... that has got to go. Kill it with fire. Give us back a game with Adol having a bunch of exploration abilities and ditch the AI!!!!!!! >_<

luka

Loves Robotech S1
We have a large number of modern day characters. People that enjoy the teenage character style will take kindly to them.

ugh

i'm happy this is a 'real' game after all the uncertainty, but they'll really have to do something interesting to get me on board now. i didn't like any of the ys games after origin, and i didn't like the school setting of the latest kiseki games.

if this game turns out to be half as good as xanadu next i'll give it a shot.

If it gets them more money, I'm all for it, since I'm not allergic to those stuff. The Ys party system though... that has got to go. Kill it with fire. Give us back a game with Adol having a bunch of exploration abilities and ditch the AI!!!!!!! >_<

Never! The party system is great!

I won't say no to having more exploration abilities though.

Ys 8 seems to have some of that back at least.

This game looks good. My hope is it'll have the story caliber of Trails and the action fluidity of Ys.

I also hope I win the lottery, but whatever.

EDIT: Also, if Ys 8 and This game come out in the same year... oh lord take me now

Ventara

This game sounds like it'll be amazing, and I love the Ys 7 party system. I'm hoping there's not a lot of text so it'll get localized.

Everything except mobile will bomb in Japan, even the PS4. As long as this comes here, I don't care about the platform.

gvyLwVk.png

At least there are a few games coming before Yoshida sells the Playstation divison ;)

Puru

I feel like the party system would be better if it was just a character swap, the AI doing it's own (bad) thing is pretty dumb.
Did they actually said it would be like Ys7/MoC because on those shots it looks more like a swap.

Random dungeons i'm not a fan aswell.

duckroll

Looking at the images available so far, and reading a bit more of what was said about the party system, it doesn't really seem to me that this game has the Ys7/C/8 party system at all. There's a party of characters for story purposes, but for dungeon crawling it looks like it's just the male or female protagonist who is controllable and visible, while there are two "support" party members who don't fight. The characters and enemies look quite big, and the corridors are narrow, so with full action, jump, and a free camera, it doesn't look like it supports AI party members at all.

Ironic that everybody was so worried that this would be a mobile game, and now that it turns out it's not a mobile game everybody still hates it because it looks like a Persona clone. You just can't win with today's Japanese game development climate!

The more modern day rpgs the better, high school characters are meh (unless they're delinquents), but what can you do.

If it plays even close to as good as ys im totally in.

Reveirg

Ironic that everybody was so worried that this would be a mobile game, and now that it turns out it's not a mobile game everybody still hates it because it looks like a Persona clone. You just can't win with today's Japanese game development climate!

I don't think anybody "hates" it so far. But yeah it was pretty apparent since the first teaser artwork that they were going after the Persona crowd. It's just striking how many similar feature this game has.

I personnally really don't mind.

wmlk

Not surprising that younger staff are making seemingly a Persona clone. High school is probably fresh and exciting to them and Japan generally aims for that crowd anyway.

Top Bottom