• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) announced for PS Vita [Up: direct-feed screens]

I wouldn't describe Celceta's writing as "good" even if you give it a free pass for its combat.
BcgPbgQCcAAZGon.jpg:large

Aeana

Many things in the UI is in english already. Hopefully this means a quick localization.

This is modern Falcom. There's a 100% chance that this game is verbose as hell as the Kiseki school of writing pervades their entire catalog these days.

duckroll

duckroll was just trolling. Nothing is pointing towards this being F2P to begin with...

That's a very serious accusation. If you have no evidence to back that up, I suggest you retract that claim or the Bureau of F2P Services will send Nirolak as a representative to have a word with your parents!

Screens look really nice. Glad to hear that a lot of their young staff have more responsibility this time around. Will be interested to see how different it is from the recent 3D Ys games (I mean, it's gotta be, right?) Definitely doesn't sound like it will play anything like other Xanadu entries, though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It will be compatible with PSTV. Even Ys Celceta is compatible with VitaTV in Japan. It's just XSEED who can't get the patch out.

Well im hoping with this new game they can localize it and get it right the first time.

I think i have a VITA TV on the way and im looking to make it just another console

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Even if it's looking derivative and isn't much like previous games in the series I hope it gets localized, it still looks like it could be a good game and Falcom keeps me interested.

Bring us this and Xanadu Next XSEED!
Though I imagine the latter will be easier if this is text heavy.

18-Volt

Xseed please ?

Falcom really needs to open up an western branch as their game releases are becoming more frequent than Atlus' or Nippon Ichi's. XSEED is fully owned my Marvelous and they would prioritize their own games. Plus, most Falcom games are also released on PC/Steam, so they won't have any worries about game sales. PC games do sell.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This game looks really cool. I'm currently playing Memories of Celceta, which has been sitting in my backlog since launch.

I love JRPGs set in modern day Hapan, so I'm on board of this hits the US. I hope it does.

Also, the premise seems very Persona, which is great in my book. I'm also playing Persona Q and loving it. This has been a good few days for the Vita.

It doesn't look like it plays much like Ys (not that it would be bad if it did), but it certainly seems closer to that then to Xanadu Next.

I wonder if they have a good reason to call this Xanadu if it's so different, or if they'll give the typical PR stuff (I have no idea how interviews with Falcom tends to go).

That's a very serious accusation. If you have no evidence to back that up, I suggest you retract that claim or the Bureau of F2P Services will send Nirolak as a representative to have a word with your parents!
duckroll pls...

I wonder if they have a good reason to call this Xanadu if it's so different, or if they'll give the typical PR stuff (I have no idea how interviews with Falcom tends to go).
Superficially it looks different, but Xanadu installments reflect the state of the company's products and internal composition on a by-decade basis. I wouldn't say there's an overarching visual style for the series, as it started as one man's project and has become a banner Falcom's teams return to periodically between games. Besides, Xanadu Next played much different from its predecessors, though not entirely (structure allows for players to retreat from dungeons when necessary)...so why is this a break in sequence?

Those screenshots look so good! Xanadu Next is my favorite Falcom title and among my favorite games of all time. I don't really get the sense that this is at all related but I am so interested in them doing anything other than Ys and Kiseki. Can't wait for this.

I wouldn't describe Celceta's writing as "good" even if you give it a free pass for its combat. Granted they were still working within the confines of someone else's scenario but it was still pretty ropey overall.

This is true. I just finished Celceta a few days ago, and I was unpleasantly surprised with how poor the writing is. Almost all of the protagonists are different flavors of the same character. Pretty rote, uninspired writing overall.

Superficially it looks different, but Xanadu installments reflect the state of the company's products and internal composition on a by-decade basis. I wouldn't say there's an overarching visual style for the series, as it started as one man's project and has become a banner Falcom's teams return to periodically between games. Besides, Xanadu Next played much different from its predecessors, though not entirely (structure allows for players to retreat from dungeons when necessary)...so why is this a break in sequence?

I don't know (nor have played) the entire Xanadu series, so I talk mostly about the stuff I see (pictures, videos, reading, etc). Xanadu Next from what I could tell still kept a very similar setting to previous games, very medieval. The biggest difference was how you played the game.

This one is very modern, putting a very clear distinction (or at least is what it seems) between town and dungeon, with high school students (and maybe some adventure/sim stuff similar to Persona?) instead of adults.

Aeana

Xanadu Next played differently, but it adhered to many of the systems created in the first game (particularly the level and experience systems, as well as the puzzles). It's not as different as it seems, it's a very clear evolution from Xanadu up through Xanadu 2 all the way to Xanadu Next. Xanadu Next is also very different tonally from most of the other games Falcom has released, and especially from the ones released around it, so I don't really see how it can be a reflection of the company's other products. I mean, the game was preceeded by Gurumin and proceeded by Ys Origin and ED6 SC.

I've been with this series since it began, so it's actually kind of a personal thing for me. I realize that I'm unique on an English speaking forum about this situation, and I've gotten unfairly emotional when people dismiss my concerns but it seems to be a theme when people jump on a franchise with a very different entry and then decry the old fans for being a bit unhappy or concerned (see: Persona 3 discussions where fans of the earlier games were yelled down similarly).

I apologize if I've unintentionally been escalating this with a contrary opinion. We can disagree now or later, but I'm concerned about TX myself, just in a different way based on how I've tried to interpret Xanadu and the patterns of development between games. Let's wait and see how similar the systems in this game are to Next.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm going to have to see a trailer. Not sure if I'm excited for this or not. More Falcom stuff is good, but I dunno.
At first I was expecting some SMT3-like thing to happen with the change of setting.

Maybe it could change and they're just hiding stuff, but who knows.

mankoto

New information via Gematsu .

There's more in the link, but this prologue sounds so generic and boring.

Prologue

17 year-old Kou Tokisaka is your everyday high schooler who lives in Morimiya on the outskirts of Tokyo. One his way back from work one late night, though, in an old part of town, he finds himself caught up in a certain “incident….”

Meanwhile, having returned from overseas and transferred into school in April, Asuka Hiiragi is an attractive girl with an affable, friendly personality who’s made for a popular class president. That doesn’t stop her from getting caught up dealing with a group of brash delinquents who try to take her somewhere, though.

Catching sight of this, Kou follows them off to a back alley. It’s there that he’s met with the sight of a beautiful, yet horrifying space, as well as that of the delinquents practically eaten by an indescribable monster known as a Greed.

And then from thin air emerges “her” pulling out a blade that shines a blue light….

duckroll

All the scans from Famitsu and Dengeki are out there somewhere now. I had a glance at the actual articles and interviews. There is actually no direct mention of random dungeons other than the suggestion that each time you enter a dungeon it's going to be different, and that dungeons have different themes so there are all sorts of different interiors (factories, castles, etc).

The more I see and read about the game, the more it reminds me of modern Persona. The dungeons are called "Eclipses" and the gates that lead into them can only be seen by special people. The adventure portion of the game is about going around the school and town, finding out about problems, advancing the character stories, etc. While the dungeon portions are generally finding exit gates to get deeper in and eventually fight a boss, etc.

The combat does sound like a departure from the usual modern Falcom stuff though. Kondo talks a lot about how this time it's not just 3D graphics but a full 3D game. You only see and control one character at a time, there are two attack buttons - one for range magic and one for melee attacks, and targeting will be a big part of the combat. Most of the enemies look like mid-sized foes so it feels more like 1 on 1 stuff, and there'll be evasion, jumping, air-dashing, etc. You build up meters to unleash special attacks and so on. It definitely sounds closer to the sort of gameplay we see in a 3D action game like DMC, or a full 3D action RPG like Souls. Knowing Falcom, it's probably not as technical (maybe on Nightmare) and in-depth as those games, but will probably have a good sense of speed and satisfaction.

Kondo was actually asked about DLC, and he mentions that they are considering costumes, but probably not additional story content since they make content rich games anyway. That should also put to rest some of the F2P concerns, since the way he talks about the game is definitely a full retail product. :p

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looks and sound really good and unlike Kiseki games it's a new ip, it means that it doesn't have links to other games so it could be localized relatively soon.

Pretty blatant Persona rip off. Only here we have trite anime character archetypes, eh.

So it's exactly like Persona :p

Hmmm. Still sounds like random dungeons to me (I hope there are puzzles though) =P

But the different stuff should be fun.

I wonder if the battles will be similar to Ys 8 but with a different party system (although we haven't seem much of that game either to begin with).

Also, focusing more on 1v1 battles is awesome and the best way to go imo.

Tizoc

So did Xseed stop trying? My Ys Celceta copy is still on shrinkwrap, waiting for the patch.

It seems the OK word needs to be given from Falcom themselves and so far they haven't, which is a shame :/

Hey, don't blame us! We've been trying, believe me.

-Tom

Say what's XSEED's next release gonna be? Brandish is already out and I wanna get hype for an upcoming game that isn't TiTS 2nd Chapter.

Hey, don't blame us! We've been trying, believe me.

-Tom

XSEED posting in Tokyo Xanadu thread. I know what this means...

OT: Looks beautiful, at least from the screenshots. Really interested to see how this turns out. Concept wise it certainly seems a lot different from all the Falcom stuff I've played up until now.

Really cool to hear it's that action-oriented. Hopefully the indirect mention of dungeons feeling different between expeditions means layouts are static but enemy placements would cycle, or some other variable changes.

Top Bottom