• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) announced for PS Vita [Up: direct-feed screens]

Prelude.

Does this have any relation to Faxanadu?
JQWghRr.jpg

If the market was flooded with Persona-clones, I'd be a lot more concerned, but that's not really the case.

Plus if there was one team I'd trust with developing something like this,it'd be Falcom, as their world building is some of the best in the industry.

Ravage

The promise of a Persona-style ARPG is enough to get my full attention. Really hope they are not going with the Ys7 party system though.

monpiece

Banned
Falcom game usually means good gameplay, so I hope it doesn't take a long time to come to the west.

Is there anything else similar to Persona other than being a modern school setting?

School life adventure crap, Ys 7 style party system, random dungeons... I'm tentatively sitting this out, I think, unless they show something particularly interesting.
I would be okay with random dungeons, but yeah, Persona crap and Ys Seven party system are serious bad mojo.

I'll still wait for more details, but I'm much less excited for it now.

At least I get to play Xanadu Next with English and achievements soon™, so that's good.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ironic that everybody was so worried that this would be a mobile game, and now that it turns out it's not a mobile game everybody still hates it because it looks like a Persona clone. You just can't win with today's Japanese game development climate!

You can't win on neogaf when it comes to Vita.
Considering that action gameplay apart everything else is also present in Persona, it's really funny that there's already who want to make this look like a disappointing game, despite the beloved developer, while getting hyped for Persona.

You can't win on neogaf when it comes to Vita.
Considering that action gameplay apart everything else is also present in Persona, it's really funny that this is already underestimated, despite the beloved developer, while Persona gets the hype.

Also a developer respected for the quality of its world-building and fleshing out random NPCs, which is doubly important for games that tackle a school theme, because repetition is constant in a school setting.

Even that doesn't seem bad until Sen.

Feels like they are just bandwagoning what's popular, so we get schools and dating sim elements, and now Persona knock-off stuff.

Dating sim elements was already there in Zero/Ao.

And playing through FC, I would be lying if the 'school segment' didn't totally screamed "this school diversion is gonna be made into a full-game someday."

lol at people disliking because it looks like Persona.

Anyway, this artstyle looks good, I like their designs, and the Ys 7 party system is great, so I'm all for it if it's in the game.

That's disappointing too then. :(

I just wanted to dispel the 'b-b-b-b-andwagon' assumption.

I like Falcom games and Kiseki, but honestly? They're not a trope-subverting studio or anything notably different from the rest of the Japanese industry, even if they don't go the route of overly moe-moe stuff.

There's just as much 'generic animu tropes' in all Kiseki games, just as there as stuff that are above and beyond the bottom-of-barrel writing. The only reason it's somehow more apparent in the recent Ys games is because Ys game have like tripled in length since the Felghana/Naphitism days. (so more story, characters, dialogue )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I like Falcom games and Kiseki, but honestly? They're not a trope-subverting studio or anything notably different from the rest of the Japanese industry, even if they don't go the route of overly moe-moe stuff.

This is kind my problem though, they're not doing anything differently and in general I'm finding myself less interested in games coming out of Japan. If they were still making the type of stuff they made a decade+ ago I wouldn't have any issues.

I realize that's an irrelevant minority opinion, but it doesn't make it less disappointing.

LX_Theo

Banned
Wow at all the anti-Persona talk. It must have gotten really popular to start getting treated like this. Half the attacks at Persona seem to misrepresent the franchise anyways

Wow at all the anti-Persona talk. It must have gotten really popular to start getting treated like this. Half the attacks at Persona seem to misrepresent the franchise anyways

It's a cold day on GAF even though respected Japanese studio subverts two concerns/criticism placed to it :

- That it's just a Kiseki/Ys company.
- That they might follow the dreaded mobile route like many other.

So even though we're getting a full-fledged title that's for the Vita, isn't Kiseki/Us, and is a new direction for the company giving chances for its younger staff.. Now the concern is that their direction is that it's chasing after the wrong ideas?

The game may very well end up being crap, and turns out to be what some of you all don't like. However, I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic.

So what if it's high school? Atlus doesn't have a monopoly on being the only dev that does it well.

Persona fan speaking: I am wary of thsi narrowing of setting scope of RPGs, either from a narrower-minded fanbase or a perception that they are.

Do any of the other Xanadu games have randomly-generated dungeons? I remember the original having pre-built ones, a trend for the rest after it. I mean sure. procedural generation nowadays can whip the stuff out of a 1985-era dungeon built on graphing paper to fit in a disk, especially in terms of set-pieces, but I'm concerned layouts are going to suffer if Tokyo Xanadu's team apparently doesn't have level designers on hand. Maybe those guys are doing the new Ys and have enough to worry about.

I don't hate or dislike the high-school setting right now, as I haven't even started on a Persona game myself, but I can sympathize with players tired of it after getting burned out. Even the wave of overhead Ys-inspired games released for Japanese PCs around the turn of the 1990s (Aiza, Providence, Herlesh, &c.) suffered from aping. Problem is, high school is a social fixture in Japan that's now seen as more stable than most anything in that country. So it makes sense (for developers in relation to sources of revenue) to pine for the good 'ol days and not experiment, with no end in sight as demographics in Japan skew older and the buying audience is either younger or garrisoned by loyalists.

Aeana

Well, yes, it got popular enough that the structure of P3/4 has been used in a crapton of games after it. And that's the reason I'm sick of it.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
You gotta toss l_ in front of those Famitsu scan file names!

xXmMsby.jpg

ajZD3uv.jpg

I've never even heard of this series, but those tiny screenshots have me interested already.

Well, yes, it got popular enough that the structure of P3/4 has been used in a crapton of games after it. And that's the reason I'm sick of it.

Can You name that crapton of games ?

I'd play them but i can't find any serious persona inspired games outside of Mind-0

Aeana

Can You name that crapton of games ?

I'd play them but i can't find any serious persona inspired games outside of Mind-0
Most of them haven't come out in English, but Fate/extra did. Sen no Kiseki is coming out in English sometime in the future.

Have not read the article yet as am busy working on other stuff and its pretty long.
Oh, that's fine... I'm a patient man =P

Do tell us about it if you read it.

Most of them haven't come out in English, but Fate/extra did. Sen no Kiseki is coming out in English sometime in the future.
Wait, are you talking about Persona-like games or RPGs with high school settings?

Fate/Extra didn't have anything resembling the Social Link stuff. The highschool stuff was just talking around to advance the plot. (I only played the first one though, so idk about the second).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It seems higher quality screens have been uploaded (but I can't paste the link, it doesn't show properly)

Not sure if you are aware or not but will warn you just in case regardless. Unofficial magazine scans are prohibited here on GAF.

So if that is what the images you are trying to link to are, Id suggest against it.

Aeana

Oh, that's fine... I'm a patient man =P

Do tell us about it if you read it.

Wait, are you talking about Persona-like games or RPGs with high school settings?

Fate/Extra didn't have anything resembling the Social Link stuff. The highschool stuff was just talking around to advance the plot. (I only played the first one though, so idk about the second).
I'm talking about the school setting mainly. Games that knick that tend to grab at least one other thing though, like social links or monolithic dungeon crawling or whatever.

I'm talking about the school setting mainly. Games that knick that tend to grab at least one other thing though, like social links or monolithic dungeon crawling or whatever.

Well, the dungeon crawling aspect of P3/4 was never really it's strength, so I'm surprised if that is actually something they copied instead of doing it for lack of budget and/or time.

Either way, idk, random dungeons are indeed a shame (I have quite a bit of fun with Ys' dungeons), but stuff like Social Links are definitely something more games should attempt at doing (without trying to focus on dating).

Quixzlizx

I'm fine with a Persona-like as long as it's a good game, with good writing. It's not like Falcom is bad at those things.

Most of those games aren't very good, though.

Mr.Jeff

I'm fine with a Persona-like as long as it's a good game, with good writing. It's not like Falcom is bad at those things.
I wouldn't describe Celceta's writing as "good" even if you give it a free pass for its combat. Granted they were still working within the confines of someone else's scenario but it was still pretty ropey overall.

All shall be forgiven if you can visit a recreation of the original Falcom store and HQ circa the development of Ys I & II. I mean, who knows, it won't fit into the Akiba's Trip sequel a number of us want.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think it's less a matter of people trying to copy Persona, and more a matter of contemporary settings becoming more popular. Looking at anime, it's easy to see why that is and what sort of setting would be popular for that. I would say Persona is likely the crown jewel of quality when it comes to that though. Could easily be a regular source of inspiration

Reveirg

The negativity is somewhat surprising, yeah...

Falcom has never exactly been a trend-setter. I'm just excited we're getting something more from them outside of Ys/Kiseki. Don't get me wrong I love those, but getting to experience their stellar action RPG gameplay in a different setting, on a nice console is enough to get me hyped!

Aeana

The negativity is somewhat surprising, yeah...

Falcom has never exactly been a trend-setter. I'm just excited we're getting something more from them outside of Ys/Kiseki. Don't get me wrong I love those, but getting to experience their stellar action RPG gameplay in a different setting, on a nice console is enough to get me hyped!

That's not true at all. Falcom started the Japanese action RPG genre, and they continually released interesting stuff thought up by Yoshio Kiya. Once he left, they became much less creative... it's very sad.

Whether or not Falcom's progressive in upsetting tropes or trying out new settings, they're consistent at the least, and Kondo's worked to hone even the newest employees at the company. So I've no doubt Tokyo Xanadu will be great at what it does, but I think it's a more limited concept put up against competing games than was the case with Xanadu Next.

I also want Falcom to remake some of its older games as part of a second wave. Now that Dinosaur Resurrection and Sorcerian Original have long since passed, remakes for Popful Mail and The Legend of Xanadu titles would be attractive diversions in both the Japanese and overseas markets. Sure, they probably remade games to milk their older fans in the PC days, but I think re-imagining their history (while keeping the originals in circulation) is a relevant idea still.

Even Kiya fell back on his usual premises after a while, lol.

Aeana

Whether or not Falcom's progressive in upsetting tropes or trying out new settings, they're consistent at the least, and Kondo's worked to hone even the newest employees at the company. So I've no doubt Tokyo Xanadu will be great at what it does, but I think it's a more limited concept put up against competing games than was the case with Xanadu Next.

I also want Falcom to remake some of its older games as part of a second wave. Now that Dinosaur Resurrection and Sorcerian Original have long since passed, remakes for Popful Mail and The Legend of Xanadu titles would be attractive diversions in both the Japanese and overseas markets. Sure, they probably remade games to milk their older fans in the PC days, but I think re-imagining their history (while keeping the originals in circulation) is a relevant idea still.

It doesn't really seem like current Falcom is at all interested in revisiting any of its properties that it can't sell to the otaku market. Turning Xanadu from something darker and medieval to what we're getting with Tokyo Xanadu is, I think, very emblematic of this.

I'm not the biggest Persona fan... at all, and I still don't get the hate.

Falcom is all about the gameplay, and yes everything even Ys is getting KISEKI'D but it's not something that is going to stop me from enjoying their fantastic games.

The only thing that bothers me is how they are calling this game "Xanadu", but we'll see.

Top Bottom