• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) announced for PS Vita [Up: direct-feed screens]

Jucksalbe

Banned
Turning Xanadu from something darker and medieval to what we're getting with Tokyo Xanadu is, I think, very emblematic of this.

I'd say at least give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until the first gameplay videos to be so negative about this. Unless I missed a ton of info, we don't have all that much to go on so far.

It doesn't really seem like current Falcom is at all interested in revisiting any of its properties that it can't sell to the otaku market. Turning Xanadu from something darker and medieval to what we're getting with Tokyo Xanadu is, I think, very emblematic of this.
Sadly, it looks as though Kondo's only planning to remake the Gagharv trilogy in the near-future. But who knows, Falcom's had multiple creative directions per leader in the past (compare Kazunari Tomi of Dinosaur and Star Trader fame with Kiya, for example). Even Dinosaur could be called an otaku game, though its audience is less monolithic, being as interested in tabletop card games or table-talk role-playing as they are in Western-like PC games.

It's arguable that Hydlide by Tokihiro Naito had more of an influence on the style of overhead-perspective Japanese ARPGs from 1984 onward than Dragon Slayer. Xanadu was influential in other areas, though; neither Sorcerian nor Legend of Xanadu were as copied, and so I wonder if there's a way to quantify the influence of the Kiya school by period. This would involve surveying all other games in the genre produced in the 1980s in the country, so that'll be a project for someone.

Aeana

Sadly, it looks as though Kondo's only planning to remake the Gagharv trilogy in the near-future.

It's arguable that Hydlide by Tokihiro Naito had more of an influence on the style of overhead-perspective Japanese ARPGs from 1984 onward than Dragon Slayer. Xanadu was influential in other areas, though; neither Sorcerian nor Legend of Xanadu were as copied, and so I wonder if there's a way to quantify the influence of the Kiya school by period.

Come on, now, nobody wanted to copy Hydlide! I'm skeptical that there's any real fans of that game out there.

But yeah Falcom actually claims to have started action RPGs. There's always technicalities of things that existed first (for example, Mugen no Shinzou was on the scene before Dragon Quest, but it doesn't get credit for being the progenitor of the Japanese RPG just because Dragon Quest was sooo much more popular).

Arzehn

While I too would have preferred something more like Xanadu Next. I think Falcom is trying to find a hit with more appeal.

Still interested in getting this though.

Reveirg

That's not true at all. Falcom started the Japanese action RPG genre, and they continually released interesting stuff thought up by Yoshio Kiya. Once he left, they became much less creative... it's very sad.

Fair enough, but that was what... 25 years ago?

I'm honestly not that familar with Falcom history. I catched up on all Ys games last year, and I plan on tackling Dragon Slayer soon to see where it all started!

Come on, now, nobody wanted to copy Hydlide! I'm skeptical that there's any real fans of that game out there.

But yeah Falcom actually claims to have started action RPGs. There's always technicalities of things that existed first (for example, Mugen no Shinzou was on the scene before Dragon Quest, but it doesn't get credit for being the progenitor of the Japanese RPG just because Dragon Quest was sooo much more popular).
But I don't see the particulars of Dragon Slayer in, say, The Legend of Zelda. Other designers must have seen the potential in Hydlide and simply wished to outdo that game; Dragon Slayer generally plays more like a top-down dungeon crawler than Hydlide's blend of that with overworld adventuring through interconnected areas. It's a complicated story, and both games sold well enough for that matter.

Mugen no Shinzou wasn't Horii and Nakamura's only influence either, it's just that the second game, released in 1985, more accurately translated Ultima III for a Japanese audience without subtracting difficulty nor the mercenary-party element. So that became a control for PC gamers to compare DQ with; Tomi later joined Falcom after making that and his own Zelda/Hydlide/Dragon Slayer-like, Borfes and Five Evil Witches.

Anyone who's interested in Dragon Slayer's history needs to check out the 30th anniversary thread, which explains aspects of the 1984 original and its progeny under Yoshio Kiya.

Aeana

But I don't see the particulars of Dragon Slayer in, say, The Legend of Zelda. Other designers must have seen the potential in Hydlide and simply wished to outdo that game; Dragon Slayer generally plays more like a top-down dungeon crawler than Hydlide's blend of that with overworld adventuring through interconnected areas. It's a complicated story, and both games sold well enough for that matter.

Mugen no Shinzou wasn't Horii and Nakamura's only influence either, it's just that the second game, released in 1985, more accurately translated Ultima III for a Japanese audience without subtracting difficulty nor the mercenary-party element. So that became a control for PC gamers to compare DQ with; Tomi later joined Falcom after making that and his own Zelda/Hydlide/Dragon Slayer-like, Borfes and Five Evil Witches.

Anyone who's interested in Dragon Slayer's history needs to check out the 30th anniversary thread, which explains aspects of the 1984 original and its progeny under Yoshio Kiya.
I'm very well aware of all of this, so you can save yourself the effort of the history lesson. I'm not sure why what game influenced Zelda, which isn't an RPG and most likely had other influences like Adventure, matters that much in this context regardless.

They were all influenced by The Tower of Druaga, which itself was a stat-heavy maze game influenced by dungeon crawlers.

Anyway, I like the character art for TX so far. Who's the illustrator here?

Sitrus

The scans reminds me of an ARPG version of
the last dungeon of Sen no Kiseki II. A dungeon in another world with a normal world outside.
(spoilers for Sen no Kiseki II)

Looks like they are reusing the engine from Sen for this game too, hopefully with more optimalizations. Also seems like a party system of only two, switching between them with one support character.

It's too bad people start screaming persona each time there's a game with a school setting or social links. For people wanting more fantasy stuff, we have a series called Ys for that. I've played more than enough of fantasy jRPGs, due to the HUGE amount of them since the start of the genre.

Not every game should have the same themes, right? RIGHT?
Well since it's Falcom it should have good gameplay at least.

Prelude.

It's too bad people start screaming persona each time there's a game with a school setting or social links. For people wanting more fantasy stuff, we have a series called Ys for that. I've played more than enough of fantasy jRPGs, due to the HUGE amount of them since the start of the genre.
I thought they were joking but they're still going.

Aeana

the last dungeon of Sen no Kiseki II. A dungeon in another world with a normal world outside.

Looks like they are reusing the engine from Sen for this game too, hopefully with more optimalizations. Also seems like a party system of only two, switching between them with one support character.

You're missing the part where Tokyo Xanadu is part of an established franchise which had been stylistically different in the past. This is not a new IP. It could've been, but they chose to relate it to Xanadu.

I understand (and I agree), but I do understand the complaints, since Xanadu wasn't like that before.

You're missing the part where Tokyo Xanadu is part of an established franchise which had been stylistically different in the past. This is not a new IP. It could've been, but they chose to relate it to Xanadu.
How much did previous games varied? Was it always the more medieval stuff?

Jucksalbe

Banned
This is not a new IP. It could've been, but they chose to relate it to Xanadu.

There's probably a reason for that (beyond marketing). Maybe they're doing a reverse SMT IV? Though they were very open about the "dual aspect" of that game from the beginning.

Aeana

There's probably a reason for that (beyond marketing). Maybe they're doing a reverse SMT IV? Though they were very open about the "dual aspect" of that game from the beginning.

There may be a reason. The "other world" may be a more traditionally-styled location. It just seems really weird that they'd pick Xanadu for this, of all of their properties.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There may be a reason. The "other world" may be a more traditionally-styled location. It just seems really weird that they'd pick Xanadu for this, of all of their properties.

Hmm...I don't really have that deep of a knowledge of all their properties. What other IPs would have worked for this?

Maedhros

All I wanted was a sequel/follow-up to Xanadu Next.

They never promised one.

It's a game on the same brand, though.

Anyway, I like what I see. A shame for people who don't, but they'll deal with it. It's just a game, after all.

Also, there's Xanadu Next coming to PC. Which is still a very good game to this day. I'm looking forward both.

Tokyo This. Tokyo That.
Why can't we have a spin off set somewhere NOT Japanese?

How about New York Xanadu? Seattle Xanadu? Hell, I'd tolerate Houston Xanadu. Xanadu Northwest would be the Cat's Pajamas, though.

Joking. I know, a Japanese-developed game set in Japan makes more sense because no need for travel/research expenses.

TX looks like it could be a new IP, but it can also be interpreted as the reinvention of predecessors. Beyond the original's remakes, Xanadu (the 1985 original, Revival in 1995, Next a decade ago) is the oldest series Falcom's supported in the Dragon Slayer umbrella. It seems to me they use the occasional Xanadu game to suggest paradigm shifts, assuming they are conscious of the following patterns.

Xanadu solidified the viability of Western-influenced domestic CRPGs; Revival gave way to remakes based on these classic IPs; Next concluded that period while justifying modern, action-based titles (Felghana came out a month after, with Origin and Zwei II in the wings) and emphasis on world-building/dialogue (largely new to a Xanadu game barring manual text). Excepting the original, Xanadu installments precedes additions and/or changes in platform: Revival leading into Falcom jumping from NEC to Windows, Next for Windows to consoles, and TX signaling a mobile debut as well as SoftBank pulling out direct PC distribution at retail (while XSEED now offers digital copies overseas).

Looking back at the period Dinosaur Resurrection came out in, Falcom had been developing remakes, but soon introduced Napishtim and Sora no Kiseki FC, which correlate to the period after 2005. Xanadu installments can be interpreted as projects meant to summarize ideas for stories and mechanics practiced in their other games, used to reaffirm both legacy and where they believe their pipeline is leading them. Even Publishing the original showed Masayuki Kato's confidence that Kiya had sound ideas for games Falcom could sell and expand upon not simply in their region. The only uncertainty for me is, did Falcom intend to show off their new/younger employees' abilities with Xanadu games aside from TX? Kiya made the original mostly by himself, at which point he was also a store employee needing to prove himself, but I'd love to know if Revival and Next were considered demonstrations.

tl;dr I'm considering a historiography of Falcom and Xanadu in order to explain how they can justify Tokyo Xanadu's changes, and why Xanadu installments are often used, perhaps motivated, as means to state new missions for the company and its position in the current industry.

Looking at the higher res scans, it doesn't look at all like Xanadu Next. The only similarity I can point out is that I like the designs for both games =X

But for the people (and duckroll) that thought this had Ys 7's party system, it doesn't seem like it (at least not from screenshots, I can't read Japanese).

Still, the random dungeons don't seem to be as bad as Persona, so that's a plus.

Takao

Banned
N9wPqtC.jpg

Tb5oIT1.jpg

0S5IdHq.jpg

s7aGuQD.jpg

Don't the main characters remind you of...

Kirito and Asuna?

:smugface:
We won't get a translation as fun as SAO HF though, so it's a shame

maybe I'm just easy to please, but the art design is doing it for me.
Nah, they look good. The biggest problem I can see people having is the stuff Aeana mentioned, with this being a completely different game from the other stuff in the series.

Also, I hope long-hair Kanji there is playable. He looks cool.

Aeana

Looks not bad. Illustrations look like the same artist as Sen no Kiseki, but I'm not positive. Random dungeons still worrying me.

Nice screenshots. So we can at least switch between two characters in a spirit-world session, with a way to call the other in for support and then retreat. Economic use of their recent Kiseki engine I see, and that's a nice architectural theme for starters (ordered columns/trussing abuts vine growth and green haze reclaiming the halls).

On the above essay, I'll leave it as notes and discuss those ideas in the Dragon Slayer thread later.

Producer

It looks much more like Ys. The hud and combat that is.

Was hoping it would be isometric like Xanadu Next...it still looks good regardless.

I take it Xanadu's legacy on PC is now discontinued?

Well, with Trails coming to Steam, we could be seeing this there, too.
Crazy as it seems, Falcom's lost their retail PC distribution platform in Japan right as mobile has become the domestically-accepted medium/context for playing games. So they're in something of a limbo, having formed a mobile unit and doubling down on the handheld market due to a massive leap in sales from Kiseki. Outside of Asia (markets that aren't Japan, China, or South Korea/Taiwan), XSEED's PC localizations have been performing very well on Steam and GOG, which is reflected in the most recent board meeting for investors. The company's never had this many separate variables to deal with. It's altogether different from when the dominant Japanese PCs were suddenly outmoded by foreign competition under Windows, let alone the exodus around 1990 when much of their staff left to work on console games, leaving Kato and Kiya in a scramble to use console ports/exclusives for quick money and recruitment.

Falcom's lowest point so far came around the mid-1990s when they had to deliver Windows remakes and license out console ports after Kiya had left and Ys V had burnt out interest for their breadwinner franchise. But now they're more successful than ever and swamped with platforms that each are profitable. There's no easy answer here, though I'd love if they can develop for a middle-ground platform (like the Vita) and be able to work those games into PC and mobile versions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is looking good. I'm excited!

Oof.

Well, at least we might get a video/trailer soon to see how the gameplay works, Falcom can still do that pretty well, even when they surround it with poo.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This looks like my kind of game.

Top Bottom