• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human IGN video - RPG Systems, Gameplay, Arenas & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Banned
godhandiscen said:
The fact you are calling it good, suggests me I should wait for the PC version. WHAT DID YOU HEAR? SPEAK NOW!

There's no chance for a PC version. You might as well wait for FF13 on the PC.

This will be 100% worth it on the 360 UNLESS they fuck up something from now till the release.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
GremlinInTheMachine said:
If you like this game you have atrocious taste and no one of any importance will ever like you. We're laughing at you. All of us. The important people.

snowboard.gif

I've got more, keep em coming.

It's funny... when I don't like a game I tend to just say I don't like it, maybe give some reasons and then not worry about it. It seems when some people don't like a game they feel they have to hang around and tell everyone else why they're wrong for liking it and perhaps question their mental capacity.

Looks like personal opinion was a myth. Who knew?

keanerie

MMaRsu said:
So where's the demo ^^

Yeah, I'm expecting it any time now...you hear me, Denis? Clear those cheeseburger wrappers off your desk, sit up straight and crack open a Diet Coke, cause it's time to make some phone calls, bitch!

Hannar

Lykathea said:
I think it is safe to say that the cutscenes are rendered in real time. I say this because the armor is different on Baldur in almost all the cutscenes we have seen (for instance meeting in Heimdall's office has been shown before but Baldur was wearing different armor) and it would be ludicrous for SK to pre-record the cutscenes with all the different armor set-ups just to fit with what the gamer is currently wearing.

This is correct. The same models you see in the cut scenes will be the same you play with in game. That means any armor change you make will be reflected in subsequent cut scenes.

border

Lykathea said:
Again, just because the edits are not obnoxiously long, does not mean that they are significantly enough longer than the norm.
What qualifies as the "norm"? What is a long take, then? Just looking at the scenes already discussed, it's hard to find any shot that lasts for more than 10 seconds. None of the scenes strike me as blindingly different than any other game. It certainly doesn't feel like any of the directors that are known for long takes (Altman, Welles, Scorcesse).

pswii60

What the hell is with all the recent trolling in 360 threads?

I know all threads get their trolls, but stuff that has been going on in here (eg GremlinInTheMachine), the GoW thread (eg Arthas), and to some extent the NG2 and Fable 2 threads, is unbelievable. Is this instead of eating crow?

I have no definite favourite in the console wars, but I have to say that MS put on a bloody good show yesterday, and these games all look fantastic. Get the fuck over it already. If you're going to criticise, make it constructive and not blatant bullshit.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
pswii60 said:
What the hell is with all the recent trolling in 360 threads?

I know all threads get their trolls, but stuff that has been going on in here (eg GremlinInTheMachine), the GoW thread (eg Arthas), and to some extent the NG2 and Fable 2 threads, is unbelievable. Is this instead of eating crow?

I have no definite favourite in the console wars, but I have to say that MS put on a bloody good show yesterday, and these games all look fantastic. Get the fuck over it already.

Didn't you hear? PS3 beat the 360 in the Jan. NPD! You have to admire them, they've been holding this all in for what, a good year +.

Someone change that good PS3 news gif. Good 360 news?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
pswii60 said:
If you're going to criticise, make it constructive and not blatant bullshit.

It's pretty much been unfettered in the Too Human threads since the E3 debacle. You can even get away with stopping by to say how fat you think Denis is. Pretty sad stuff. Really sad when you consider that he was posting here rather regularly to discuss his ideas and vision for gaming, something almost no other developer has been willing to do. With a few exceptions, you don't see hide nor hair of industry guys unless it's time to pimp their latest blockbuster title.

And I think criticism is just fine, it's the relentless harping and ruining of threads that should be out of bounds. Posters should be free to say they think the animation system needs work. But to continue posting it over and over, and then using the negative response they get to go ahead and start taking personal shots (calling people incompetent and saying that they have shitty taste) is just fucking childish and it stifles real discussion of merits and flaws.

If I was in the DMC acting like Gremlin is in here, I'm pretty sure my account would have been nuked by a ruiner by now.

"Hay guys, this game sucks and you have no taste if you like it! No co-op? Looks like Capcom am inmcompetunt!"

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on it anymore. This thread has already been successfully derailed. Good work.

The art design remains one of the most laughable I've ever seen, but the density and care thats gone into the item system and very excellent attitude towards classes and being able to shift your focus has me interested at last. The story, the gameplay and concept are very much up my alley - I really needed the art design to be there but I suppose one can't have it all. Count me excited.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
TiVo said:
Quick question b4 I go to VideoVat to see this clip. Did that guys arm go thru the bench and did it break?

I think it's an optical illusion. His arm is on the side of the bench where your legs would be or in the opening between the back and where you sit.

Lykathea

Banned
The animation is terrible. Everything has the weight of a syrofoam cup. One moment the main character moves naturally, the next he's hopping around like a tick. When he dashes he doesn't kick off or lunge to gain momentum, and he doesn't accelerate naturally. It looks completely cheap and phony. When he jumps on the robot and lunges his sword into its head, there's again no sense of momentum to the sword trust. It looks like he's gingerly sticking a pin in a stuffed animal.

The art direction is terrible. It's garish, tacky, and overly busy.

The combat looks like Dynasty Warriors sped up.

Trainwreck.

Alright this was your first post, you know the one that supposedly contains rationale critique and is devoid of negative hyperbole?

Your second sentence is quite troubling. In the preceding one you simply state that the animation is terrible as if it were an all encomposing effect no matter what type of animation is taking place. Then you go and contradict yourself by saying that Baldur moves naturally one minute (which I assume is a good thing) and like shit the next. Even as you state it here the animation is not terrible in its totality but only in certain instances while in others Baldur is moving natural. Thus your main point (the animation as a whole is terrible) is directly undermined by your attempt to explain why this is so. Doesn't sound like a very solid critique IMO.

The rest of the paragraph is then blatant hyperbole utilizing moronic metaphor's to 'insult' the game's animation as best you can (when logic fails you, just troll!).

Then you complain about the art direction and only use a few words to elaborate why this is such and again you fail to really post a thoughtful critique. This could have been one but you consciously took the easy way out by simply stating a conclusion with no supporting sentences to back up your venomous judgment.

Further on you claim that the combat is Dynasty Warrirors is sped up. Only this time, in addition to failing to constructively critique it, there is a severe lack discernable tone, that is there is no sense, even if TH plays like DW, whether this is a good or bad thing.

The devolution of your 'critique' is made complete with the final word 'trainwreck'. I would assume you believe that the entire game is a trainwreck yet your preceding statements only address the aesthetic of the game and does so 'gingerly' at best. In fact you fail to talk about such crucial elements as gameplay, story, the RPG systems, music, VA etc. that it seems your overall critique (even if it were rational and well thought out--it isn't) fails to address the vast majority of the game itself, which leads one to believe you either don't know what you are talking about or that you *gasp* refuse to bring up any part of the game in a positive light even if you have to eat your own hat from trolling TH for the past 2 years.

If all this adds up to what you would call a solid, constructive and well-rounded critique of TH then you, quite simply, don't you what your talking about at all and the other posters in this thread are correct in their judgment of you as a troll.

Lykathea

Banned
What qualifies as the "norm"? What is a long take, then? Just looking at the scenes already discussed, it's hard to find any shot that lasts for more than 10 seconds. None of the scenes strike me as blindingly different than any other game. It certainly doesn't feel like any of the directors that are known for long takes (Altman, Welles, Scorcesse).

I gave you an example in one of my other posts but I'll reiterate: in a 4 minute cutscene (non-action I might add) of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin their were 60 cuts. Compare this to TH which you claim has a mere 80 over the course of 9 minutes--including a hefty 6 minute action sequence. This is far below the average cut rate seen in my comparative example. Moreover, 10 second shots on average is a very high number for takes and thus indicates that the SK cinematographers are consciously utilizing a more Bazinian Realist approach to film form in general (not always, they do fall back on HW continuity editing now and again). Adding palpable weight to this claim is SK themselves not only acknowledging this aesthetic approach (in the form of a blog) but indicating that it is a primary influence for them in the creation of the cinematics of TH.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
You should PM your thoughts to Denis regarding the cinematography decisions in Too Human, Lykathea. When he pops into Gaf, he'll discuss this kinda stuff if he has the time.

:)

urk said:
You should PM your thoughts to Denis regarding the cinematography decisions in Too Human, Lykathea. When he pops into Gaf, he'll discuss this kinda stuff if he has the time.
Does he show up here any more? The responses he's had the last few times were truly pathetic.

[Edit - Woah. I just read those two posts.

Here's me, brain the size of a planet... yet I still understood little of it! :lol ]

WrikaWrek

Banned
What i've seen so far, cinematography looks top notch, aside from the corny slow motion that nobody should use anymore, i mean seriously, keep up with the times, slow mo is so yesterday, shakey and fast is what's up.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, the slo-mo in the intro is kind of lame. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much of it in the other cutscenes.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Psychotext said:
Does he show up here any more? The responses he's had the last few times were truly pathetic.

I think he's been pretty busy lately, but yeah, he drops in. ;)

Quazar

Borys said:
There's no chance for a PC version. You might as well wait for FF13 on the PC.

This will be 100% worth it on the 360 UNLESS they fuck up something from now till the release.

They should of done this game with cross platform play in mind if you ask me.

I'm calling it now. Four player co-op won't happen. I bet a 6 month ban on it.

They would have shown it if it was there, and if this is a near final build then they should be underlining what would be a pretty big feature.

Hunter D

funkmasterb said:

They would have shown it if it was there, and if this is a near final build then they should be underlining what would be a pretty big feature.
I don't think they have shown anything having to do with the coop yet.

Doodis

funkmasterb said:

Enjoy your break from GAF.

Mifune

Mehmber
funkmasterb said:
Exactly. They promised 4 player coop and are waiting for as much positive hype to build before letting people know.

It seems like coop isn't ever really shown until right before release, no matter what the game.

funkmasterb said:
Exactly. They promised 4 player coop and are waiting for as much positive hype to build before letting people know.
I'm certain that I read somewhere yesterday that they are waiting to show the online and coop features.

Geoff9920

pedrothelion said:
I'm certain that I read somewhere yesterday that they are waiting to show the online and coop features.
Same here, I think I remember reading that it was the next thing we were going to see whenever they show the game next.

border

Lykathea said:
Moreover, 10 second shots on average is a very high number for takes and thus indicates that the SK cinematographers are consciously utilizing a more Bazinian Realist approach to film form in general (not always, they do fall back on HW continuity editing now and again).
I didn't say that there was an average shot length of 10 seconds, just that there are few shots longer than that. Is a 10 second average shot length "very high"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_take

Films known for "long takes" have an average shot length of 30 seconds or more, in this Wikipedia entry. The shots in TH may be slightly longer than a spastic Hong Kong action movie, but you would be hard-pressed to find one take that is 30 seconds (much less any number of longer takes that would contribute to a high average).

80 cuts in 9 minutes pans out to 1 cut every 6.75 seconds (the average jacks up even further if you disregard the 1 legitimate long take in the sea of quick cuts). I guess we'll see how the final version pans out, but as-is it really doesn't look or feel any different than what's already out there. Maybe running the numbers would yield a slightly higher ASL, but it's nothing that really seems to stick out.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Check TH.net, they've got a nice compilation of links to various impressions.
Haha, I love Hannar's summation of everything thus far:
What's consistent:

Praise for the game's massive number of items and its Diablo style RPG system, along with the vast improvement the game has made since its last showing. Also, concerns about the fluidity of cutscenes and an ability to understand what is really going on -- perhaps this is due to the scope of the game, and the difficulty to introduce all of those characters in 15 minutes of cinematics at a showing like this.

What's inconsistent:

Many sites are praising the SK engine for some incredible advancements and an ability to load the game seamlessly during cutscenes; cutscenes that several sites report as running flawlessly and being constructed beautifully. Other sites directly contradict other reports that the framerate is solid.

What hasn't changed:

Too Human's status as a trilogy on the XBox 360. Some still hate the slide mechanic and the animations that go along with it. Also, our frothing demand for this game.

border

"Other sites directly contradict other reports that the framerate is solid. "

Just looking at the official videos, you can see the framerate isn't solid all the time. No need to rely on secondhand reports.

hteng said:
I hope they could add the necromancer class as a tribute to Diablo, like you can make tons of robots/sentry guns to fight by your side.

QFMFT.

The Necromancer in D2 is the greatest character class ever made by man. For me it wasn't the summoning, it was all about the corpse explosion. So much cool strategy and bad-assery in that character, plus you didn't have to wear out you mouse clicking all the time like the other characters.

Hopefully there is something similar in TH, but it doesn't look like it, though there might be some summoning. Can't win em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom