• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human IGN video - RPG Systems, Gameplay, Arenas & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bildi

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden have fast-paced combat and their animations are excellent.

Too Human's bad animations are the result of simple incompitence.

It looks like Dynasty Warriors because it shares design elements with it--poor design elements.

Too Human's art style looks like the Solid Gold Dancers dressed in martial attire. Cross Weimar Germany with Studio 54 and you’re there.

If you like that style I fear for your walls and the horrors you hang on them. Said with love.
Well, there's one less great game for you to play. Sucks to be you I guess.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden have fast-paced combat and their animations are excellent.

Too Human's bad animations are the result of simple incompitence.

Misspelling incompetence is the result of simple incompetence.

DMC and NG are fast-paced action titles AND NOTHING MORE. That's all they got. There aren't shitloads of levels, shitpiles of customizable loot, 4-player online co-op, character and class creation, and a whole host of really awesome stuff that makes Too Human not just a simple action title.

No go press X like a thousand times over and let us enjoy the new media. Thanks.

urk said:

DMC and NG are fast-paced action titles AND NOTHING MORE. That's all they got. There aren't shitloads of levels, shitpiles of customizable loot, 4-player online co-op, character and class creation, and a whole host of really awesome stuff that makes Too Human not just a simple action titles.

No go press X like a thousand times over and let us enjoy the new media. Thanks.

OH SNAP.

~Kinggi~

Banned
urk said:

DMC and NG are fast-paced action titles AND NOTHING MORE. That's all they got. There aren't shitloads of levels, shitpiles of customizable loot, 4-player online co-op, character and class creation, and a whole host of really awesome stuff that makes Too Human not just a simple action titles.

owned. I agree. The amount of customizable weapons and equipment also probably has something to do with the quality of animation.

Let me guess, you're sticking by the PR line that it's a Diablo-style game? :lol

no, i've actually invested time finding out what the game is about instead of seeing that the rest of gaf hates on this game (for no reason mind you), and i'm smart enough to know that it's not a straight up action title.

Draft

Let me guess, you're sticking by the PR line that it's a Diablo-style game? :lol
Yup :lol

Stupid PR monkeys :lol

All of the two human apologists are gonna be rightly owned when the game comes out and has no rpg elements :lol

urk said:

You've been reduced to correcting types? What a scathing criticism. :lol

DMC and NG are fast-paced action titles AND NOTHING MORE. That's all they got. There aren't shitloads of levels, shitpiles of customizable loot, 4-player online co-op, character and class creation, and a whole host of really awesome stuff that makes Too Human not just a simple action title.

None of that that excuses the terrible animation or simplistic combat.

You misspelled "now." :lol

Opus Angelorum said:
No, I just like pointing out irony.

So the attention Silicon Knights gives to designing the animation in Too Human should be equal to the attention I give to proofreading my posts on a video game board?

Then again it does look like that's about how much attention Silicon Knights put into Too Human's animation.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
None of that that excuses the terrible animation or simplistic combat.

And just because DMC and NG have good animation doesn't excuse them from not having character classes and online co-op.

This isn't the game you're looking for.

Honestly, what do you hope to accomplish? You don't to discuss the game or it's positive aspects, but rather you want to come in to point out a flaw again and again and again. We get it, dude. Really, we do. You made your point.

And you made the list too.

Atomspike

hey ,GremlinInTheMachine , just don't bother arguing here .

apparently , Denis Dyack has unleashed his hypno psycho powers on Gaf lately .

Bildi

Guys, you really need to ignore Gremlin. He's one of the last members of the now-defunct Too Human hate force and not worth arguing with.

kmfdmpig

Draft said:

All of the two human apologists are gonna be rightly owned when the game comes out and has no rpg elements :lol

I agree with the sarcasm in this post. The videos pretty clearly show that in terms of gameplay Too Human will share quite a few elements in common with Diablo. The loot system, different classes and different skill trees are all quite similar.

If we compare the animation to Diablo II then the animation is great. If we compare it to something like NG or DMC4 then of course it falls flat. Doing so, however, is akin to comparing Mass Effect to Halo 3 or COD4 (which Dean Takahashi did before essentially retracting his entire review).

If you're expecting an action RPG to match an action game's animation then your expectations are simply too high. I think that the people that will enjoy the game are those that found Diablo satisfying. For them the animations will be more than sufficient.

Mifune

Mehmber
I just find it encouraging that we've moved from pages of LOLs at the mere mention of the game to scattered cries of "the animation sucks" or "the art sucks" or something equally superficial.

Dyack should be proud.

Deepblue

Banned
kmfdmpig said:
Doing so, however, is akin to comparing Mass Effect to Halo 3 or COD4 (which Dean Takahashi did before essentially retracting his entire review).
Ironically enough, I almost enjoy ME's combat as much as CoD4.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know what i really think. I think that if this game releases and it does indeed have no loading times, looks as good as it does in the videos, has a ton of items to collect and is as addicting as loot finding in diablo, and most importantly, doesnt end in 5 hours and feel like an intentional first entry in a trilogy, i think issues with the animation or whatever will seem very small, especially if the actual gameplay feels satisfying enough and there is a good responsivenesses to the controls.

Stuff like the no loading and all that will go a long way when it comes to the hands on experience.

And i really love the detail in all the environments and characters. I just hope that isnt an indication of a short game with few locations.

Mifune said:
I just find it encouraging that we've moved from pages of LOLs at the mere mention of the game to scattered cries of "the animation sucks" or "the art sucks" or something equally superficial.

Dyack should be proud.
Indeed. I'm reminded of that Halo 3 4 player co-op pic which said "You're running out of things to complain about, aren't you?

(not that any parallels can be made between the games, it just came to mind)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
~Kinggi~ said:
And i really love the detail in all the environments and characters. I just hope that isnt an indication of a short game with few locations.

From the write-ups linked earlier, they are talking 40-50 hours to reach the top levels.

Mifune

Mehmber
urk said:
From the write-ups linked earlier, they are talking 40-50 hours to reach the top levels.

For someone like me who just wants to see the sights, enjoy the story, it will probably end up being around 15 hours long. That's my guess.

Mashing

I'm really looking forward to this game, but man, can they please get someone to direct the cutscenes better?. I don't know how to explain what's wrong with it, it just seems way too disjointed and without character.

Okay, my one serious concern (combat animation is bad, but not that serious) is the amount of knockback. The disaster situation in hack'n'slash is to be surrounded by enemies, the glide mechanic and analog combat presents a nice way for skilled players to avoid this situation, however it seem like enemies keep on flying no matter who's hitting them and if that's the case there won't be any real risk. I'm just not sure where the difficulty's going to come from?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
People who don't get to play Too Human co-op with me.

You can make a list too! I'll start you off.

People who can't play Devil May Cry 4 co-op with GremlinInTheMachine

1. Urk

:D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
urk said:
And just because DMC and NG have good animation doesn't excuse them from not having character classes and online co-op.

This isn't the game you're looking for.

Honestly, what do you hope to accomplish? You don't to discuss the game or it's positive aspects, but rather you want to come in to point out a flaw again and again and again. We get it, dude. Really, we do. You made your point.

And you made the list too.

DMC technically does have character classes.

This argument is a strawman btw.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
urk said:
People who don't get to play Too Human co-op with me.

You can make a list too! I'll start you off.

People who can't play Devil May Cry 4 co-op with GremlinInTheMachine

1. Urk

:D
OMG I WANT IN!

I do not really care what the opinion of the majority of this forum is on this title, but as long as there is at least 3 other people to play coop with me, I'll be satisfied.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Mifune said:

Dyack should be proud.
There must be a thread in the archives for Too Human just after E3 06. I mean, comparing then and now... :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
sp0rsk said:
This argument is a strawman btw.

Nah, I could walk over to the DMC4 thread and take a steaming shit all over it for glaring flaws (and yeah, they are there), but since I'm not a big fan of the series and I wasn't all that enamored with the demo, I'll just let the people who do enjoy it discuss the title and it's merits.

Obviously I'm not the boss around here, but shit, we get it. Dude doesn't like the animations. Clearly they didn't get the attention that they do in a title that lives or dies by the combat since it's 99% of the draw in stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. And since it's the main focus, the developer spends a significant portion of their time honing and perfecting the animation system.

That's not the case for Too Human. Looks like there's more to love then the position of the character's feet while he's sliding.

He might as well go into the GTA thread and complain that the in-game car models aren't as accurate as the stuff Polyphony Digital is churning out.

border

Still kind of looks like CyberPunk Devil May Cry as made by Majesco. Those animations just scream "budget title".

I do like gameplay-look of all those charging attacks though.

master15

Looks a lot better although the gameplay and mechanics aren't exactly my cup of tea nor look entirely appealing.

Visually the game's looking a lot better but it still seems Silicon Knights has issues with 'skining' when it comes to their character models (Both Eternal Darkness & Twin Snakes suffered from this also).

keanerie

Let's just step back for a bit - DMC is a lot more than you say it is urk, there's a lot of depth there, not the same kind as we'll see in Too Human, but it is an immensely replayable and enjoyable game. Meanwhile, Too Human looks to be a lot more than Gremlin is saying it will be. Let's stop the fussin and the feudin!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
border said:
Still kind of looks like CyberPunk Devil May Cry as made by Majesco. Those animations just scream "budget title".

soccer.gif

Draft said:

I'm confused...

How do you intend to suggest it has no RPG elements when we've already seen them...?

Damage is done via DPS (Damage Per Second) as it's done in most MMOs
There are skill trees both for the Human and Cybernetic alignment. 3 Per class and when you take into consideration the different alignments it gets deeper.

Multiple classes
Quests
Loot drops
Tons of character customization
There are special buffs and such.
Weapons and Armor have a condition value
You can spec weapons and equipment
The game has class specific equipment
Different equipment comes with specific stat enhancements.
Multiple weapons in many different categories - one handed swords, two-handed swords, axes, pole arms, hammers, guns.

I can't for the life of me figure out what else people want to see. SK delivered on the RPG elements on a much greater scale than anyone expected them to.

Then again I forget sometimes that it's the "cool" thing to hate on this game. Nonetheless I'm not going to let anyone reign on my parade the game looks exciting and fun.

Lykathea

Banned
<i>I'm really looking forward to this game, but man, can they please get someone to direct the cutscenes better?. I don't know how to explain what's wrong with it, it just seems way too disjointed and without character.</i>

The cut-scenes look great. What may be off-putting to you and the general public at large is the lack of editing in much of what we have seen. In other words, Too Human clearly takes a Bazinian realist approach to the cinematography complete with long takes, deep focus, tracking camera shots and a severe lack of emphasis on cutting. All this adds up to a film aesthetic that is markedly different from the average cut happy or super shaky cam coming from contemporary Hollywood action films, which, to me at least, is a welcome change--a breath of fresh air if you will--that allows TH to stand out from the crowd weaned far too much on contemporary Hollywood film form.

border

The cutscenes up on GameTrailers are pretty lol-worthy. I hope the narrative isn't too overwrought or intrusive.

I like the loot and equipment system pretty well. Not sure how I feel about Runes being their own set of mini-achievements. I hope they set up an auction house or a marketplace where we can buy and trade equipment with other players.

Lykathea

Banned
How exactly, are they lol-worthy? (Since this is GAF and a TH thread I am assuming you mean this in the most negative sense possible)

border

Lykathea said:
The cut-scenes look great. What may be off-putting to you and the general public at large is the lack of editing in much of what we have seen. In other words, Too Human clearly takes a Bazinian realist approach to the cinematography complete with long takes, deep focus, tracking camera shots and a severe lack of emphasis on cutting. All this adds up to a film aesthetic that is markedly different from the average cut happy or super shaky cam coming from contemporary Hollywood action films, which, to me at least, is a welcome change--a breath of fresh air if you will--that allows TH to stand out from the crowd weaned far too much on contemporary Hollywood film form.
What cutscenes are you watching? In the "Sacrifice" scene on Gametrailers I count 19-20 edits in a 1:45 scene. That is a cut every 5 seconds.

The Freyja cutscene is about the same. 18 cuts in less than 2 minutes. Every conversation is angle-reverse angle cuts, so they are cutting in moments when they could just as easily pull the camera back and show you two people talking instead of alternately cutting to close-ups of each character talking. I can't find a take that goes on for more than 15-20 seconds. Less Shakespeare and more Michael Bay 2: Electric Boogaloo.

hteng

Banned
I hope they could add the necromancer class as a tribute to Diablo, like you can make tons of robots/sentry guns to fight by your side.

godhandiscen

For those who know, is the intro cinematic in real time or pre-rendered with in-game assets? It looked amazing, but to go that far without texture pop-up.... not this gen.

Hannar

godhandiscen said:
For those who know, is the intro cinematic in real time or pre-rendered with in-game assets? It looked amazing, but to go that far without texture pop-up.... not this gen.

Not sure which cinematic you are referring to specifically, but since everything they have shown thus far is being done in real time, I'm comfortable saying it is not pre rendered. They are quite proud of that.

godhandiscen

Hannar said:
Not sure which cinematic you are referring to specifically, but since everything they have shown thus far is being done in real time, I'm comfortable saying it is not pre rendered. They are quite proud of that.
This one:
Prologue Cam HD

I mean, lets not fool ourselves, there are way too many camera changes in that scene to be real time. The UE3 struggles with every camera change, and thus the texture pop-up happens. If that is realtime, then Dyack am GOD confirmed.

edit: Also, that monster better be a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom