• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human IGN video - RPG Systems, Gameplay, Arenas & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

eve241

krzyspc said:
Look at the witcher, some of the smoothing animations for a point and click RP, and to me that is what kept me going. Where other games like NWK I just could not play due to combat being so weak.

But The Witcher isn't trying to accomplish quite the same thing now is it? It's based on rhythm pressed mouse clicks and uses canned animations at all times. With Too Human you have numerous enemies and they can be anywhere on screen.

Zabka said:
In the context of any genre the animation is horrible.

Now this, is just bias.

WrikaWrek

Banned
krzyspc said:
You missed my first half of the post, where I mentioned NWK where the combat was horrible making the game unplayable despite having a very indepth system.

It is just so fundamental to the game.

What's NWK?

jet1911

WrikaWrek said:
That's not neverwinter knights.

And if he was saying that animations made Neverwinter Nights unplayable to him then i can say his opinion means dick shit to me.

You know, you're right. I just woke up 20 minutes ago so I'm still a bit sleepy. :lol

krzyspc

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
That's not neverwinter knights.

And if he was saying that animations made Neverwinter Nights unplayable to him then i can say his opinion means dick shit to me.

I said the combat made it unplayable, it was horrible.

krzyspc said:
I said the combat made it unplayable, it was horrible.
Does NWN use the same combat system as Baldur Gates where it's turn based and you can pause the game to set up you attacks? Never played NWN so I'm just wondering.

FirewalkR

I wants my Fine Partial CrimsonPanther of Destruction and my Amazing Fullsome OrangePoodle of Chaos asap. Kthx!

kittonwysmile.gif

Ark-AMN

Banned
jet1911 said:
Great write up indeed. Here are my favorite parts:
Take a good look at this loading screen," said director Denis Dyack as he started up the game from the title screen. "It's the only time you'll see it during the demo." By the time he was finished with the sentence, the near-final version of Too Human was off and running, and not once did we see a load screen for the first thirty minutes of the game.

The "Commando" is best with firearms, explosives, and the "spider", a device you get early in the game which allows you to deploy a variety of attacks. The "Bioengineer" is a healer who uses nanotechnology to heal and fight. (He gets "mana fuel" from killing enemies, which allow him to use these powers.)

The "Berserker" has low HP, but excels in melee combat and can dual-wield. His best defense is a constant offense. And the "Defender" is a tank who wears a Cylon-style helmet and is the only class who cannot get knocked down by enemy missiles.

You can use the D-pad to adjust the camera's position in relation to the action. If you want it zoomed up tight, that's fine; if you want it zoomed far out looking like Diablo, that is also appropriate. I found I liked it zoomed out, as there are a lot of enemies at times. In fact, the battle system is based on juggling a whole bunch of foes at once -- between 50 and 70 at times, says Dyack.

Anyway, all this is surely only a tiny slice of Too Human. Did I have a good time? I am not exactly an RPG person. I do not grind epic mobs for loot, or mob epic loots for grind, or any of that. But Too Human was certainly fun, and the story is definitely intriguing, and if anybody can have me looting epic grinds, it's Silicon Knights.
Now, give us the demo on XBL! :D

This is looking pretty fucking awesome. I'm glad they finally showed off the RPG system and menus. Really looking forward to this now.

anachronous_one said:
OK, this game is back on my radar, but if this comes out May 6th (as the Gamestop listing proclaims), that's too close to GTA 4 for me. Especially with the marketing budget that Microsoft has planned for GTA and the exclusive DLC; it makes me wonder if Too Human won't get lost in the shuffle.

MS did a fine job of managing the launch dates of their "big titles" last year.

One per month...roughly before the cluster fuck that was Q4.

They want Too Human to be a success so it's not likely that they'll be releasing Too Human in the same month of GTA IV.

PS...I loved those videos. Sure there might be some problems but MAss Effect has/had problems and I'm still enjoying that.

Unless the demo is catastrophically bad...day one purchase.

You can just jam straight through the levels, but there are also "challenge rooms" that you can enter and try to wipe out a group of enemies in a certain time (two minutes, in the room we played). If you succeed, you get to bash open a breakable object full of loot; if you fail, you're booted out and you can never try again.

*YIKES*

Tieno

BenjaminBirdie said:
Very harsh, but probably to balance with the loot. So you can't try and try and try to get that really big thing. You just have to be good and skilled.

MMaRsu

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
img473317bb3e047.gif

You troll every game around here???

Naeblish

Games looks fucking awesome, been a long time fan. But goddamnit, i've seen enough trailers, give me a demo or release date.

barnacles

Banned
Tobor said:
3D Diablo 2 on a console. It's the Holy Grail of gaming.

Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance 1,2
Champion's of Norrath 1,2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
DC Justice League Superheroes
X-men Legends 1,2
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Hunter: The Reckoning, sequel (name varies depending on if you have a Ps2 or Xbox)

Yep. That's a whole lotta 3d gaming "grail" in the bargain bins out there just waiting to be found and taken home and loved. :D

barnacles

Banned
krzyspc said:
You missed my first half of the post, where I mentioned NWK where the combat was horrible making the game unplayable despite having a very indepth system.

It is just so fundamental to the game.

Neverwinter Nights is considered unplayable? Like universally? Are you sure? Because I played the heck out of it and both of it's add ons. I just bought the sequel(and it's add on) and while it's a bit less fun for me than the original was I'd hardly call the sequel unplayable either.

Maybe it's a semantic thing. What do you mean by "unplayable"? What specifically prevented you from wanting to continue playing ?

krzyspc

Banned
barnacles said:
Neverwinter Nights is considered unplayable? Like universally? Are you sure? Because I played the heck out of it and both of it's add ons. I just bought the sequel(and it's add on) and while it's a bit less fun for me than the original was I'd hardly call the sequel unplayable either.

Maybe it's a semantic thing. What do you mean by "unplayable"? What specifically prevented you from wanting to continue playing ?

For me it was having to rest to reovery magic points and the combat system feeling pretty basic from what the game offered in other areas. I really appricate what they tried to do by showing the roll system, but it slowed down melee combat.

After trying to be enaged by the story line I felt like every time I fought it removed me from the experience.

bdouble

sp0rsk said:
I was watching this video and I just realized, the whole right analog stick thing is the way it is because its essentially replacing mouse clicks.

Not sure if it's a good idea, but an interesting design choice none the less.

Basically yes been saying the same things for months :lol . Instead of clicking a million times with the mouse buttons ala Diablo 2 or Titan Quest you are now using flick it controls from skate. Will it work? who knows but its an improvement imo.

I have to say thought he multiple camera angles are such a great idea.

eve241

Naeblish said:
Anyone else not getting those video's to work? Nor the flash, quicktime or windows media will play... fuck.

Yeah I can't play them either and I've tried to with different web browsers.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The videos are incredible. The environments are rich and vibrant, the cutscene work is cinematic, the combat and equipment look really deep and interesting. Really amazing stuff.

JeStaH

Wow this game is looking better and better each time it's shown. I'm sold on it now.. now I gotta stop watching these damn vids so I don't spoil it for myself!

Lebron

Tieno said:
The gametrailer videos don't work for me :'(
are you trying to use the flash player? I was having the same problems as well, but they seem to work fine when I selected the QT or WMV alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom