• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too human pictures

Ark-AMN

Banned
Damn, this thread blew up quickly. Guess it goes to show you that even though they aint popular around here, SK still manages to capture GAF's attention :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ark-AMN said:
Damn, this thread blew up quickly.

Not really. It has steadily grown since your first brown-nosing appearance.

Ark-AMN said:
Guess it goes to show you that even though they aint popular around here, SK still manages to capture GAF's attention :lol

trying to squeeze some positives out of this train wreck? Any game that has been in development since the PSX and was hyped to "change the world" by its developer is going to get pages of comments when everyone sees that it is shit.

medrew

Baiano19 said:
The thread is derailed already so whats the history behind this gif:

You can watch it here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGMKmYERF1k&search=mario kart japanese

Two Japanese comedians.

Kittonwy

Banned
sharukins said:
If the engine cant support a streaming technology which would allow no loading times on the game (this screwed up the framerate and camera) then its the engine's fault for not being compatible with the technology. You cannot stop development of a game just for E3 (preperation of around a month and a half) and have the game delayed, Fortunately for them the streaming made the fps and camera a turd and now the game is delayed till around Q2 2007 at best to fix these issues. The problem is that the animation for the fighting just isnt there yet in Too Human. The too human artists enlisted a martial arts legendary experts to do fighting scenes but those moves have not been implemented yet into the game because of the streaming technology phckup. The problem with the camera is that when the streaming technology was implemented the level was supposed to load the entire environment in the level all the way up the the top floors, the dungeons and other rooms with no loading and that made the camera pan too far back instead of having it like you see in the screenshots (closeup), due to the camera panning all the way back and framerate due to incompatibility with the streaming technology, the game which was shown at E3 looked significantly worse than what was shown a month before. Even the guys at the 1up yours said the same thing about it "looking worse" due to the change implemented in UE3. No other UE3 games were affected because they were not using this streaming technology.

First of all UE3 DOES allow streaming, that's one of the technologies the Epic folks emphasized, maybe the Epic people were lying, maybe not, but why would one believe Dyack and SK people over Epic when it comes to engine technology?

Second of all it's not a matter of animations, the fighting mechanics is shoddy and loose as hell, and poorly thought-out, when you lift the enemies 20 smurfing feet above your head and you can't really jump that high and the collision detection is absolute shit, it's a LITTLE hard to follow that up with an air-combo, even DMC2 had WAY, WAY better air-juggling than this and DMC2's juggling was absolute shit. The level design of the demo itself was an absolute joke, it was neither conducive to showing off the combat (make an arena if you want to do that), nor did it highlight any sort of adventure/exploration aspect of the game. Stop blaming GAMEPLAY inadequacies on framerate and camera, because those were the least of the problems, and yes, people can tell the gameplay wasn't up to par even despite the framerate, it's not hard to see that a game has promising gameplay mechanics but just the framerate was shit, but Too Human was so obviously not the case.

Kittonwy

Banned
sharukins said:
and God of War was sh*t too just 1 year before its release but look how that turned out.

God of War a year before its release was nowhere near as shit as the Too Human demo, even at the earliest stage from some of the footage, you can tell what they were going for, especially in terms of level designs, even early on the character can swim, swing on chains and stuff, and I'm talking about PRE-dual-chain Kraots. The Too Human demo was rather unambitious and limited in terms of what you can do in it and still what they had was shit and the demo we saw is much closer to the game's release and SK doesn't have a lot of time to fix things unless they delay things majorly.

sharukins

Banned
Kittonwy said:
First of all UE3 DOES allow streaming, that's one of the technologies the Epic folks emphasized, maybe the Epic people were lying, maybe not, but why would one believe Dyack and SK people over Epic when it comes to engine technology?

Second of all it's not a matter of animations, the fighting mechanics is shoddy and loose as hell, and poorly thought-out, when you lift the enemies 20 smurfing feet above your head and you can't really jump that high and the collision detection is absolute shit, it's a LITTLE hard to follow that up with an air-combo, even DMC2 had WAY, WAY better air-juggling than this and DMC2's juggling was absolute shit. The level design of the demo itself was an absolute joke, it was neither conducive to showing off the combat (make an arena if you want to do that), nor did it highlight any sort of adventure/exploration aspect of the game. Stop blaming GAMEPLAY inadequacies on framerate and camera, because those were the least of the problems, and yes, people can tell the gameplay wasn't up to par even despite the framerate, it's not hard to see that a game has promising gameplay mechanics but just the framerate was shit, but Too Human was so obviously not the case.

link to streaming support? :)

Mojovonio

Banned
Can we just forget about this game until release?

If you guys think it'll suck, why argue it?

Just let it suck, alone in a queit corner where no one will buy it.

We don't need a 5 page thread talking about why this game will suck, the E3 demo, which was made to indicate to us how the game was coming along and how it would play, blew balls.

Why do you still think this game will turn out great?

sharukins said:
If the engine cant support a streaming technology which would allow no loading times on the game (this screwed up the framerate and camera) then its the engine's fault for not being compatible with the technology... No other UE3 games were affected because they were not using this streaming technology.

UE3 currently has no support for streaming last time I checked. It could have changed but you have to remember that Epic is building this engine for THEIR games and not yours.

You will have to develop from scratch anything you need for your game that is not supported by UE3.

Kittonwy said:

UE3 does not support stream AFAIK, unless they recently updated.

yoopoo

Banned
2005:

Mark Rein: We’ve designed the streaming system in Unreal Engine 3 with the expectation that we wouldn’t have a hard drive at our disposal so there’s nothing that needs to change at this point. Developers can take advantage of the availability of a hard drive in numerous ways. That’s not really an engine issue but more about what a particular developer decides the functionality of their particular game should be. I would certainly expect many games to be able to take advantage of the hard drive.
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1281/Unreal-Engine-3-and-the-Xbox-360-Hard-Drive/p1/

Too Human...haha

Ark-AMN

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Not really. It has steadily grown since your first brown-nosing appearance.

trying to squeeze some positives out of this train wreck? Any game that has been in development since the PSX and was hyped to "change the world" by its developer is going to get pages of comments when everyone sees that it is shit.

wah wah wah, cry me a river, it's your loss if you'll never play it. I doubt anyone will lose sleep over it. Fine, its shit, but apparently, you care enough to post.

Ark-AMN said:
God your dumb, how was that even a hype? I just said its his loss if he won't play it.

Ark, you are a real glutton for punishment man :/

just let it be. the game may turn on great; the game may turn out disappointing. just let people decide Q4 and stop positioning yourself as the TH target.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ark-AMN said:
it's your loss if you'll never play it.

:lol

Ark-AMN said:
Fine, its shit, but apparently, you care enough to post.

I don't give a shit about the game but how can anyone restrain themselves from the comedy gold mines that threads about Too Human have become. This thread wouldn't be half as fun without you here.

Kittonwy said:
Try this one:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...view&current=unrealdemo_062105_qthighwide.flv

If they want to blame the game's flaws on their own programmers' incompetence, sure, but don't blame it on the licensed engine. Still, shoddy gameplay design really isn't an engine thing to begin with, it's not really doing anything that should be breaking any engine.

totally irrelevant to TH, but i hate the damn vehicle in that video. looks asstarded. and it totally distracts me from that epic environment its driving through

Kittonwy

Banned
sharukins said:
and you know this how?

Jaffe was basically calling something like his own game's demo from 2004 shit-gameplay even though it was clearly playable, it showed the wide variety of things you can do, and even though it wasn't perfect and it sure as hell wasn't shit-broken.

It should be apparent for anyone with any freakin' SELF-RESPECT, that Dyack's E3 demo was shit-broken but still he blamed it on the engine rather than acknowledging that the actual gameplay was shit, especially in terms of game design, nevermind the technical problems, this isn't like the framerate slowed down to slow-mo, it's like they have no understanding how melee combat works, of what an air-combo is, or what a ground combo is, for that matter. When you hit an enemy and it flies twenty feet in the air, and you CAN'T jump twenty feet in the air to follow your target, that air-combo you were hoping for AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, when you hit an enemy and it flies TWENTY FEET AWAY FROM YOU AFTER THE FIRST HIT, that ground combo isn't likely going to happen, it's basically common sense, no seriously.

Kittonwy

Banned
meltpotato said:
totally irrelevant to TH, but i hate the damn vehicle in that video. looks asstarded. and it totally distracts me from that epic environment its driving through

You're missing the point of the video, which is the Epic guy saying that UE3 DOES SUPPORT STREAMING.

Kittonwy said:
You're missing the point of the video, which is the Epic guy saying that UE3 DOES SUPPORT STREAMING.

uh... not missing the point at all.. didn't i say "totally irrelevant to TH..."?? i wasn't talking about the streaming, epic, th, al gore, or lightblubs.

EDIT: hah! just realized that i did mention epic... as an adjective :b

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
sharukins said:
link to streaming support? :)

@ GDC 2005 (March) when videos of UE3 demo leaked out (turns out Gears of War uses some assets from the demo) Sweeny himself talked about how there would be one big load at the beginning of the game and then levels *could* be streamed for the rest of the game, ala GTA games (I would imagine whether or not big streaming worlds are used would be a design decision of the developer.....in some cases a dev might want discrete levels in their game)...

This video was widely seen on GAF and most here know that UE3 supports streaming, so I have to ask:What led you to believe it wouldn't?

This is an honest question sharukins, I am not trying to bash you....you get enough of that here already :)

sharukins

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
@ GDC 2005 (March) when videos of UE3 demo leaked out (turns out Gears of War uses some assets from the demo) Sweeny himself talked about how there would be one big load at the beginning of the game and then levels *could* be streamed for the rest of the game, ala GTA games (I would imagine whether or not big streaming worlds are used would be a design decision of the developer.....in some cases a dev might want discrete levels in their game)...

This video was widely seen on GAF and most here know that UE3 supports streaming, so I have to ask:What led you to believe it wouldn't?

This is an honest question sharukins, I am not trying to bash you....you get enough of that here already :)

because Dennis Dyack might have been using a different set of streaming technology

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Kleegamefan said:

as a non-tech, could it be that the pc ue3 engine supports hat, but not the console ue3? i'd imagine it ould take some hefty amounts of ram to load an entire map like that

border

Why would Mark Rein say that "We’ve designed the streaming system in Unreal Engine 3 with the expectation that we wouldn’t have a hard drive at our disposal" if the streaming wasn't in the console version of UE3?

Kittonwy

Banned
op_ivy said:
as a non-tech, could it be that the pc ue3 engine supports hat, but not the console ue3? i'd imagine it ould take some hefty amounts of ram to load an entire map like that

UE3 PC has to cater to a wide range of specs ANYWAY, and the user can have 512MB RAM instead of 1GB or 2GB for all we know, UE3 console shouldn't be any different.

Top Bottom