• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I remember really liking Xiaolin Showdown as a kid. The concept alone is so dope.

I've only seen a few clips here and there of most of the shows being mentioned. For Xiaolin Showdown, I remember a scene that was something like:

Kid w/ cowboy hat: "Your plan is half-baked."

Yellow kid, earnestly: "It's not-at-all baked!"

I dunno why that stuck with me.

Team Galaxy
The_Far_Out_Adventures_of_Team_Galaxy.jpg

OOHHH. Is this why "Team Galaxy" from Pokémon is "Team Galactic" in America?

I remember liking Xiaolin Showdown, but I heard its continuation Xiaolin Chronicles was kind of terrible, and replaced a lot of the voice talent.

I remember liking Xiaolin Showdown, but I heard its continuation Xiaolin Chronicles was kind of terrible, and replaced a lot of the voice talent.

Yeah the sequel was a Canadian production and Canada has some weird law where you have to be Canadian to be able to voice act in their productions. So the only people who got to reprise were Tara Strong and Jennfier Hale.

cntr

Banned
I did love the ending a bit because instead of the main character becoming the Chosen One, it's the team member who once straight up went evil.
Yup!

Really wanted to see where that went, it felt more like a series turning-point than an actual ending.

Yeah the sequel was a Canadian production and Canada has some weird law where you have to be Canadian to be able to voice act in their productions. So the only people who got to reprise were Tara Strong and Jennfier Hale.
Canada does have some complicated laws regarding that, but iirc, the specific issue with Chronicles was that the show was produced entirely in Canada, and Canada's labor laws are a lot stricter (and thus more expensive) than the US's, and they'd have to get visas.

So it was a budget issue. And given, uh, that it was a CGI show...

I wake up in a cold sweat once in a blue moon after having a dream where Kappa Mikey was still being produced and airing. It gives me the same after waking up chill that my semi-annual dream of forgetting to hand in a project and in turn I'm unable to graduate college. Fuck those dreams.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speed Round Avatar.

Back to the old rules. I'll take the first one that won't get me banned and is properly formatted.

BONUS: If I like it I'll do something tonight I've been meaning to do for months.

Tenumi

Banned
I'd be okay with something like Dofus or Wakfu, tbh.
it's not happening though

Note that it takes about 13 episodes to get to the really good parts, and the English dub is rough as hell.

Yeah, the English dub is... watchable. Not great but not terribad either. Then again, I tend to like all english dubs pretty much, so...

...Also I still need to watch season 2. Watched all of season 1 and stopped for some reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not great in French either to be honest. The dub is pretty bad by my standards, and I'm a forgiving person, but the art style and especially the story are what sinks the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can be Hisoka for a third of a month. This pleases me. Pretty Crap Puka would have been fine as well, better than angsty C.P. The real key to my heart though is Chrono Cross characters.

Yeah, it is.

And nah, only the dub was crowdfunded. Which, uh, should explain a lot.

I remember they announced the crowdfunding for the dub with a video in which the characters pitched the crowdfunding, and they had Casandra Morris (Leafa) and Ben Diskin (Joseph) as the characters, but then after succeeding they cast those characters differently, and didn't use anyone from the LA anime pool that I was familiar with, instead going with a bunch of English speaking actors who were living in France. That disappointed me a bit. If I had supported it based on their Kickstarter trailer, I'd have been upset at the direction they went with.

I haven't got around to watching it though, but hearing it turned out bad makes me think they should have just gone with the actors from the trailer and others from the same talent pool.

ckohler

Yeah, it is.

And nah, only the dub was crowdfunded. Which, uh, should explain a lot.

I was a Kickstarter on the Wakfu dub/blu-ray. I've only ever got around to watching about five episodes of it dubbed.

The voice actors they chose are alright except for Ruel. He's absolutely terrible and sounds like a really bad 4Kids character. However, the real problem with the dub is that French has a really fast cadence but instead of ignoring it and making the characters speak naturally, they have the English actors speak at the same speed to match the lip movements so it ends up sounding like an old Speed Racer episode where the characters are talking at 100 miles per hour. :(

Still, it was worth it for the blu-ray discs. I can still watch the episodes in French with subtitles.

cntr

Banned
It's basically a dueling battle shounen with magical artifacts that work in really particular ways that you need to be clever about, with good characters

what's not to like

(word up to jack spicer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom