• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

It's orange outside. I just woke up from a nap, and it looks surreal outside.

I wish I could wear a coat �� it's hot af in Tokyo right now. Won't be able to wear one for at least another couple of months ������

I hate coats. I avoid wearing them as much as possible, even in winter, because they're dirty, heavy and make you sweat.

dluu13

It's orange outside. I just woke up from a nap, and it looks surreal outside.

I hate coats. I avoid wearing them as much as possible, even in winter, because they're dirty, heavy and make you sweat.

I looked outside and watched the sun disappear over the horizon. It always surprises me how quickly it goes down once it's close.

Quick

Banned
I'm in the Philippines and hailed a taxi via Grab after getting screwed over by an Uber driver.

The taxi industry is probably different between here and North America, and I know that cab companies like Beck have apps, but Grab seems like such a good middle ground to catch up to today's technology. There's also Grab kiosks at the malls I've been to, where there's a person that will hail one for you. The app shows you the same details as Uber - driver name, phone number, plate number. And the kiosk employees

They charge about a little over a dollar for the "booking fee" and however much the trip costs. This will probably be significantly higher in North America though.

I got a notification that the driver was nearby, he never arrived and decided to start the trip without me. It was an Uber Black since I needed a larger car for my stuff (no UberXL option here, Black allowed me to leave a note requesting for a larger vehicle), so there was a minimum fare price, which cost me a little over $3. I cancelled the trip immediately after he started it.

mr.rager

I'm really jelly right now. Be sure to keep in touch with us here and tell us all about your Japanese shenanigans. Part of me still wishes I'd gone through with JET instead of going to Korea.

Yeah for sure man! Went to TGS yesterday, it`s not as hyped as everyone makes it out to be. It was kinda boring actually. Or maybe because im not as into games much anymore. The stank was real tho, its like some of the people didnt shower at all. Resident Evil VR looked dope af it really made me want to buy a PSVR. Person 5 looked awesome, really looking forward to this one. Yakuza 6 looked awesome. GT Sport looked underwhelming, sometimes it looked weird and other times it looked good. framerate was a little inconsistent too. Street Fighter tourney was hype af, got my picture taken with justin wong and ricky ortiz. no daigo tho :( Also got to see kojima just before we left. Last but not least, mad ratings for the Konami Booth Babes. Jesus Christ they were cute af. Like for real 12/10. A1.

Have you seen the Japan travel meetup thread?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253412

I realize this might be short notice for Meetup 4 but you should at least try to hit up Meetup 5. I was at Meetup 3 and had a great time. I met three of the people who will be at these meetups (including Mike, who organizes them) and they were all cool.

Not too different from the vibe of Toronto meetups. Since you won't be around for those, I thought you might like to know. Another way to stay in touch with the GAF community while you're in Tokyo.

I didnt know about that thread but I was actually in Akihabara the day that meetup happened. Just left before the meetup started. Ill try and make it for the next one for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Coats are the best. They look dope and keep you nice and comfy during the cooler periods of the year. They're just like any item of clothing, everything gets dirty and If you're sweating then you're doing something wrong.

I'm in the Philippines and hailed a taxi via Grab after getting screwed over by an Uber driver.

The taxi industry is probably different between here and North America, and I know that cab companies like Beck have apps, but Grab seems like such a good middle ground to catch up to today's technology. There's also Grab kiosks at the malls I've been to, where there's a person that will hail one for you. The app shows you the same details as Uber - driver name, phone number, plate number. And the kiosk employees

They charge about a little over a dollar for the "booking fee" and however much the trip costs. This will probably be significantly higher in North America though.

I got a notification that the driver was nearby, he never arrived and decided to start the trip without me. It was an Uber Black since I needed a larger car for my stuff (no UberXL option here, Black allowed me to leave a note requesting for a larger vehicle), so there was a minimum fare price, which cost me a little over $3. I cancelled the trip immediately after he started it.

When I was in the Philippines I just used the regular taxi. The fares were so cheap and I didn't mind giving the drivers a little bit of extra tip knowing how little they make. I'd rather give it directly to the person rather than give it to a company.

Quick

Banned
The money goes to the taxi driver directly actually. It was definitely a cheaper ride as well.

Uber support got in touch with me and refunded the fare for that ride, so all's well that ends well.

ahdurian

any mode of transportation in this city is hell

whether you're biking, taking TTC/taxi, driving or walking, you're always on the look out for one of the other groups (or same group) ramming into you or doing something illegal
so many times i've either been walking or getting off the TTC that i've been about 5 inchs away from getting hit by a car/truck/taxi/biker
or even when walking, cars making illegal turns so they can beat a light, and almost running into a crowd of us

Don't drive

I usually try not to. Hell, I don't remember the last time I did. (I haven't been to Toronto in a while, outside of the airport in June.)

My Grandfather is in the hospital there, recovering from surgery, and my sibling has special needs. The best way for us to get there was to drive, even though it was Hellish.

mr.rager

The money goes to the taxi driver directly actually. It was definitely a cheaper ride as well.

Uber support got in touch with me and refunded the fare for that ride, so all's well that ends well.

Oh I didn't know that. That's actually surprising, makes me wonder how these companies make money.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone interested in the TFC game today? It's at 5, I've got a spare ticket.
I swear one of these days I'm going to take you up on one of these offers...

Doctor's appt tomorrow to see about this stomach pain that I hope is just nothing. Otherwise, I have this week off though I'm hoping I get called in for an interview so I can leave this damn company.

COME TO THE MEET UP, DAMMIT!

Yeah for sure man! Went to TGS yesterday, it`s not as hyped as everyone makes it out to be. It was kinda boring actually. Or maybe because im not as into games much anymore. The stank was real tho, its like some of the people didnt shower at all. Resident Evil VR looked dope af it really made me want to buy a PSVR. Person 5 looked awesome, really looking forward to this one. Yakuza 6 looked awesome. GT Sport looked underwhelming, sometimes it looked weird and other times it looked good. framerate was a little inconsistent too. Street Fighter tourney was hype af, got my picture taken with justin wong and ricky ortiz. no daigo tho :( Also got to see kojima just before we left. Last but not least, mad ratings for the Konami Booth Babes. Jesus Christ they were cute af. Like for real 12/10. A1.

Damn, and here I had 'visit game conference' as something on my bucket list. Sucks it wasn't too good though I didn't expect much out of TGS to be honest.

I only wish I could ask you to send me food :'(

I don't think the sushi will last the trip in the mail.

Man, Toronto is nuts. Driving into it is Hell.

I'm glad I don't live IN the city.

Don't drive

any mode of transportation in this city is hell

whether you're biking, taking TTC/taxi, driving or walking, you're always on the look out for one of the other groups (or same group) ramming into you or doing something illegal
so many times i've either been walking or getting off the TTC that i've been about 5 inchs away from getting hit by a car/truck/taxi/biker
or even when walking, cars making illegal turns so they can beat a light, and almost running into a crowd of us

Driving - traffic, bikers, jaywalkers, streetcars
TTC - constant delays, short turns, injuries at track level, leapfrogging buses, backed up streetcars.
Biking - asshole drivers ignoring the bike lanes, lack of bike lanes, plethora of bike thieves,
Walking - Drivers don't give a fuck and are running yellows and reds, bikers don't give a fuck and bike on the sidewalk, gotta deal with the crazies on the street

When is flying viable?

N° 2048

Huhhhh ....subbing this thread. Didn't even realize TorontoGAF was a thing.

You and me both.

163.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The curse of Community. We lasted less than 2 minutes in Off Topic when I tried to post this thread there, hoping for maybe a few days, or even weeks, of Off Topic exposure. But clearly someone was watching and ready to take action.

GAF is a little weird with the Community threads. They want large sustained communities to be in the sub-forum that no one sees, meaning we rarely gain new members and just sort of become this insular little group that never grows. This applies to a lot of Community threads on both sides. Then of course there's the standards on which threads are moved to Community, with some other large city threads remaining in Off-Topic.

Yeah, I'm salty.

krae_man

The curse of Community. We lasted less than 2 minutes in Off Topic when I tried to post this thread there, hoping for maybe a few days, or even weeks, of Off Topic exposure. But clearly someone was watching and ready to take action.

GAF is a little weird with the Community threads. They want large sustained communities to be in the sub-forum that no one sees, meaning we rarely gain new members and just sort of become this insular little group that never grows. This applies to a lot of Community threads on both sides. Then of course there's the standards on which threads are moved to Community, with some other large city threads remaining in Off-Topic.

Yeah, I'm salty.

At least the meetup threads are allowed to be in reg OT.

Quadratic

Anyone know where the video game store is located inside Pacific Mall? I'm after some USB 3DS charging cables. I'm looking for some detailed directions to the unit. Nothing online is helpful and I could spend a while wandering past cellphone case stores.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know where the video game store is located inside Pacific Mall? I'm after some USB 3DS charging cables. I'm looking for some detailed directions to the unit. Nothing online is helpful and I could spend a while wandering past cellphone case stores.
LOLOLOLOL.

I haven't been in a year though last time I was there it was only on the main floor not upstairs and towards one of the corners. I want to say the south west corner.

dluu13

Checked the source, don't think they do.

I'd try a place like Home Hardware or Creatron. Home Hardware has a surprisngly robust electronics section. I don't think I've had any connector that I needed that I could not find. That being said, I've only been to the one on College between Bathurst and Spadina. The electronics section is in the basement to the right. The downside is that none of that stuff is listed on their website. My guess is it'll cost about a couple of dollars, but it probably won't be gold.

Creatron has a bunch of hobby electronics and it's also on College St around Home Hardware.

whitehawk

Banned
I'd try a place like Home Hardware or Creatron. Home Hardware has a surprisngly robust electronics section. I don't think I've had any connector that I needed that I could not find. That being said, I've only been to the one on College between Bathurst and Spadina. The electronics section is in the basement to the right. The downside is that none of that stuff is listed on their website. My guess is it'll cost about a couple of dollars, but it probably won't be gold.

Creatron has a bunch of hobby electronics and it's also on College St around Home Hardware.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check em out!

dluu13

After spending some time in London we really need to bring back "stand right, walk left".

In HK subway stations, it's "no walking" at all, so everybody's standing on the escalators in twos. (I assumed you're talking about escalators)

That seemed to work well for the totally packed stations.

Sober

I dunno about what video game store you are looking for but try that Japanese 2$ store at the P1 level. I think if you head down the stairs there is a 3DS USB charging cable. Then again that was like months ago when I saw that there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
WHY IS IT WARM AGAIN

FUCKING END ALREADY

Amen!

Can Fall and Winter come already?
Both of you can go eat a great big bag o dicks. >=
After spending some time in London we really need to bring back "stand right, walk left".

In HK subway stations, it's "no walking" at all, so everybody's standing on the escalators in twos. (I assumed you're talking about escalators)

That seemed to work well for the totally packed stations.

I don't know why they ever got rid of those signs. For the most part, people seem to do it.
I think they removed them due to liability concerns. While it can be annoying, especially if you're held up juuuuuust enough to see the subway train leave, there isn't really a particularly long escalator ride. I'm more concerned with people running into the subway train and then immediately stopping without checking if there were people behind them, people taking multiple seats up (this is both man spreaders and women who put their feet up and their bags on the side), and people who leave their papers in the subway train.

Papers in the train is a pet peeve of mine. It's not a socio-economic, racial, or sex thing. I've seen everyone from buns to people in suits, white people to Asian people just leave papers in there.

Off topic, just got ultrasound done and waiting to get bloodwork done. Great start to the old week off...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to check out Nordsrom's. Some sales staff here wear some odd uniforms. Hell, the the hostess who seated me I didn't even know if she was a shopper or worked there.

Lunch was meh here. Wouldn't recommend for the price.

Mupod

I hate heat but the longer I can keep using my pool the better.

Leaving the chemical balance of the thing up to roommates may have been a mistake. Spent Sunday morning vaccuuming the green shit off the bottom. Ewwwww

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hi Toronto GAF, just wanted to let you all know that one of my company's clients is opening up a gaming lounge/bar at 38 Wellington St., i.e. Wellington and Church St. The lounge is called Power Up. Went there with my company today, before the lounge officially opens (I believe they're aiming for this weekend or shortly after that). They've got TVs and current gen consoles at every booth, and the place has nice ambience to it. If you guys have a meet-up, it seems right up your alley.

By the way guys, this place is up and running now. Maybe a good future meetup spot, especially considering it has consoles setups. We could run a little Mario Kart, or Smash, or something.

http://powerupbar.ca/

Top Bottom