• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba's Mark Knox talks about HD-DVD "addon" for the 360

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Open Source said:
OK, so I just watched some guy who doesn't really know what he's talking about make shit up in a shaky voice.

Thats what i'm thinking it is, but coming from Toshiba its not really good PR. We were clearly told that "for now" this addon (or acessory) is just supposed to be for Movie playback. He seems to think that it will be beneficial to "games"

sonycowboy said:
summarize please. Too busy to watch a video ;)

Mark Knox is talking about the 360's HD-DVD addon as if its supposed to benefit disk capacity for Xbox 360 video games.

Ponn

Banned
Rah Roh Shaggy....so who to believe...hmm.

BlueTsunami said:
Thats what i'm thinking it is, but coming from Toshiba its not really good PR. We were clearly told that "for now" this addon is just supposed to be for Movie playback. He seems to think that it will be beneficial to "games"

Mark Knox is talking about the 360's HD-DVD addon as if its supposed to benefit disk capacity for Xbox 360 video games.

Yea, but why would he be thinking that unless it wasn't talked about somewhere? The plot thickens. We probably won't get a definitive answer till E3.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
WTF is he talking about?

And what the hell does it have to do with HDDVD?

If he REALLY knows what he is talking about, there is no LOL big enough for releasing games on a Sega CD addon.. oops, I mean HD DVD addon.

What will be a bigger issue is publishers not wanting to make games for such a small segment of the market (Xbox 360 owners who have purchased the HD-DVD addon). No way, will never happen--they will find a way to make the game fit on a DVD, even if this means hacking half the game out.

Dude, he's just a marketing moneky just trying hard to sell the HD-DVD spec for gaming. Notice he talks about 45GB triple layer HD-DVDs like it was gonna be available this year (try probably never). :lol

He has no news about the HD-DVD add on that we didn't know except for the "available 3rd quarter" bit.

no dude....

you didnt create a "whole new world"

you just created a "whole new fragmented userbase"

hopefully this guy doesnt know what hes talking about.

BlueTsunami

Shogmaster said:
Dude, he's just a marketing moneky just trying hard to sell the HD-DVD spec for gaming. Notice he talks about 45GB triple layer HD-DVDs like it was gonna be available this year (try probably never). :lol

When he said that, I started laughing. I was like "Triple Layer HD-DVD?!". Your probably right in that regard, just trying sell the HD-DVD spec for gaming.

Raistlin

Shogmaster said:

After the announcement that they're having problems with dual-layers (amongst some other HW issues), yeah ... triple layer seems pretty unlikely unless we're talking about half-way through this gen.

aaaaa0

Onix said:
After the announcement that they're having problems with dual-layers (amongst some other HW issues), yeah ... triple layer seems pretty unlikely unless we're talking about half-way through this gen.

Dual layer writable. Dual layer ROMs are fine as far as I know.

Raistlin

aaaaa0 said:
Dual layer writable. Dual layer ROMs are fine as far as I know.

Yes ... that is true.

My point is that it is unlikely they would begin serious work on triple-layer ROMs until they have dual-layers writeables perfected.

BlueTsunami

Onix said:
Yes ... that is true.

My point is that it is unlikely they would begin serious work on triple-layer ROMs until they have dual-layers writeables perfected.

Dual Layer HD-DVD disks would be 30GB right? I would say even a one layer HD-DVD would be a nice amount of space over a Dual Layer DVD. Though, the whole backlash over the HD-DVD addon was the possiblity of it being used for games.

I think that Toshiba rep was either oblivious to why Microsoft bought into the HD-DVD addon, or there really is something to the HD-DVD addon being used for future games that need the extra space.

aaaaa0

Onix said:
Yes ... that is true.

Studios drive demand for ROMs. If the studios want triple layer, then they'll develop it first.

That said, demand for triple layer is low, studios would rather pack in multi-disc "Special Collector Editions" because those have historically sold better due to more perceived value.

If anything, I think the studios would rather have a pure ROM standard and not have any writable medium for piracy reasons.

that guy was full of shit. there are not supposed to be any HD-DVD Xbox 360 games, its supposed to be for movie playback only.

WTF ?

that dude shouldn't have been allowed to open his unknowledgable face. :lol

Raistlin

aaaaa0 said:
Studios drive demand for ROMs. If the studios want triple layer, then they'll develop it first.

Studios may drive demand for ROM's, but PC storage and DVRs (in Japan at least) will be the largest inital market for both formats - and is where the greatest margins will remain.

That said, demand for triple layer is low, studios would rather pack in multi-disc "Special Collector Editions" because those have historically sold better due to more perceived value.

If anything, I think the studios would rather have a pure ROM standard and not have any writable medium for piracy reasons.

Studios do not have the final say in this matter due to financial concerns of the A/V and media manufacturers.

Regardless, such a proposition would simply push off the inevitable. This media are simply data storers. If the copy-protection is broken, then the data could simply be moved to some other media.

aaaaa0

Onix said:
Regardless, such a proposition would simply push off the inevitable. This media are simply data storers. If the copy-protection is broken, then the data could simply be moved to some other media.

Just consider for example, if there was no writable BD standard.

Then there would be another barrier to burning pirate discs that will play in consumer BD players. Even if someone used a writable media of a different kind to store the data, then it wouldn't play in the millions of consumer BD decks out there.

So it would pretty effectively stop a lot of small pirating, cause to make pirate discs then you need to have a production line to press them, or you need to have modded players that could play from a different medium, like say, DVD-R (and lose quality due to more compression), or over the network (you'd have to mod the player to remove the DRM checking).

It would indeed only push off the inevitable, but IMHO the studios would love to try whatever they can.

aaaaa0

Onix said:
Studios do not have the final say in this matter due to financial concerns of the A/V and media manufacturers.

They do have final say, because they're the ones that control the content.

Without content, any ROM format will fail. Without ROM, you'll never get the penetration you need to get economies of scale. Without economies of scale, you'll forever be a niche product. And if you're happy to be a high margin niche product, then that's ok.

Raistlin

aaaaa0 said:
Just consider for example, if there was no writable BD standard.

Then there would be another barrier to burning pirate discs that will play in consumer BD players. Even if someone used a writable media of a different kind to store the data, then it wouldn't play in the millions of consumer BD decks out there.

So it would pretty effectively stop a lot of small pirating, cause to make pirate discs then you need to have a production line to press them, or you need to have modded players that could play from a different medium, like say, DVD-R (and lose quality due to more compression), or over the network (you'd have to mod the player to remove the DRM checking).

It would indeed only push off the inevitable, but IMHO the studios would love to try whatever they can.

These are good points ... I'm just saying it wouldn't prevent piracy. Regardless, I think they are more confident in the copy-protection technology this time around.

Raistlin

aaaaa0 said:
They do have final say, because they're the ones that control the content.

Without content, any ROM format will fail. Without ROM, you'll never get the penetration you need to get economies of scale. Without economies of scale, you'll forever be a niche product. And if you're happy to be a high margin niche product, then that's ok.

I disagree. They are obviously part of the conversation, but the A/V and media manufacturers hold some trump in their hands.

Without the manufacturers support, exactly who is going to make equipment to play such content? A/V manufacturers know their highest-margin products will be the recorders, not the players. Therefore, they are quite stubborn in regards to this - and rightly so.

While these techs would be slow in taking off without movies, money could still be made in the PC market for both ROMs and especially for data storage. DVR could also make some cash. While this is not a great scenario for a potential standard, the studios obviously realize that their still is at least some market for a movie-less media format - while on the other hand, their is no market for media-less movies.

I think this is all fairly moot though. Right or wrong (we'll have to just see on this one), I think the studios are fairly sold on the new copy-protection schemes being employed.

Onix said:
While these techs would be slow in taking off without movies ...

Not slow, more like at a virtual standstill. The content providers end up making most of the biggest changes and key standards for the media formats due to their sales clout. That's why there's all of this bickering and stalling going on...with Sony and Co. jumping off of the DVD Forum to push their own shit...which is contrary to the whole point of the consortium. It gets more fucked up when you have one of the biggest backers/creators of the new format owning several of the studios, which could be considered a conflict of interest, IMO. Anyway, the sales of the video content are what drives the prices of the technology downward for everyone involved. Without Hollywood, the formats mean almost nothing.

aaaaa0

Onix said:
I disagree. They are obviously part of the conversation, but the A/V and media manufacturers hold some trump in their hands.

Without the manufacturers support, exactly who is going to make equipment to play such content?

If BD doesn't comply with studio demands, then they'll just release everything on HD DVD and BD is doomed.
If HD DVD doesn't comply with studio demands, then they'll just release everything on BD, and HD DVD is doomed.

If neither comply, they'll just sit out the status quo and continue to release DVDs until the next big standard comes around asking for support.
If both comply, then they'll just play both sides asking for more demands until the market decides who wins (which is pretty much the scenario playing out today).

The point is, if you want to watch Lord of the Rings, you want to watch Lord of the Rings. You cannot substitute LotR with Spiderman 2 if LotR is what you want.

But if you want LotR, and it is only on HD DVD but not on BD, you will grumble and get an HD DVD player. Hence disc formats are interchangeable, but the content is not.

Thus, from the point of view of the studios, BD and HD DVD are roughly similar business propositions -- HD DVD might be cheaper and easier to fabricate, BD might have somewhat higher max capacity, etc, but those are really just technical details. They both do the same basic thing: play movies in HD.

Likewise consumers will not really care if the disc is a BD and they need a BD player, or if a disc is HD DVD and they need a HD DVD player, as long as the movies are there and the players are cheap, work well, and are plentiful.

Raistlin

MightyHedgehog said:
Not slow, more like at a virtual standstill. The content providers end up making most of the biggest changes and key standards for the media formats due to their sales clout. That's why there's all of this bickering and stalling going on...with Sony and Co. jumping off of the DVD Forum to push their own shit...which is contrary to the whole point of the consortium. It gets more fucked up when you have one of the biggest backers/creators of the new format owning several of the studios, which could be considered a conflict of interest, IMO. Anyway, the sales of the video content are what drives the prices of the technology downward for everyone involved. Without Hollywood, the formats mean almost nothing.

I still don't think it would be a virtual standstill, as there is a market for high memory storage.

Don't get me wrong, obviously the content providers are key - I'm just saying that the A/V manufactures have some power in this since the content providers have absolutely no market without them.

truffleshuffle83 said:
if games are mutidisc for the 360 and they release single HDDVD version, who cares theyve been doing that for pc's for years. ill buy it anyways
The problem is with games that render the game world on the go, ex: GTA, Shadow of the Colossus, DQVIII (to some extent), etc. A smaller disk capacity could pose problems or limit those type of games.

Raistlin

aaaaa0 said:
If BD doesn't comply with studio demands, then they'll just release everything on HD DVD and BD is doomed.
If HD DVD doesn't comply with studio demands, then they'll just release everything on BD, and HD DVD is doomed.

Yes that is certainly true ... my argument with regards to A/V manufacturers having power in this is more generalized however, and is assuming the above situation does not occur.

If neither comply, they'll just sit out the status quo and continue to release DVDs until the next big standard comes around asking for support.

While this is a possibility, the A/V companies could attempt to stick together and continue to exert pressure for some of their key points. In a standoff, it still eventually comes down to the A/V manufacturers having to actually produce a product, be it BluRay, HD-DVD, or some other platform in the future. My point is that if they stick together, they do have sufficient power to at least partially benefit from a compromise.

Basically, both sides obviously need each other. My point being that the A/V and PC companies may well do better in a waiting game, as they can still release product into other markets. The studios do not have that luxury.

Obviously the A/V companies do not want to be in such a situation, but they have a valid reason for wanting writeable/rewriteable media and can force the issue if they are willing to stick it out.

If both comply, then they'll just play both sides asking for more demands until the market decides who wins (which is pretty much the scenario playing out today).

Absolutely.

The point is, if you want to watch Lord of the Rings, you want to watch Lord of the Rings. You cannot substitute LotR with Spiderman 2 if LotR is what you want.

Agreed - that is why I think in the long run, HD-DVD is screwed unless they inexplicitly sell many more players/recorders in the first few years. To make things easier, let's rate all major movies as being about the same popularity-wise. Obviously it is untrue, but weighing each studios’ movies is subjective and just too large of a task for this argument. Since BluRay has more content support, it is likely they will attract more purchasers simply because they have more titles people want. That will increase sales -> which will garner more studio support -> which will increase sales -> ad nauseam. Basically, it's a snowball effect.

But if you want LotR, and it is only on HD DVD but not on BD, you will grumble and get an HD DVD player. Hence disc formats are interchangeable, but the content is not.

This is true, but on balance - BluRay has potentially more movies people might want that aren't available on HD-DVD. My theory is, if there are more movies people want on BluRay - which is more likely within the confines of this argument - it should snowball to ever increasing support.

Thus, from the point of view of the studios, BD and HD DVD are roughly similar business propositions -- HD DVD might be cheaper and easier to fabricate, BD might have somewhat higher max capacity, etc, but those are really just technical details. They both do the same basic thing: play movies in HD.

If you notice the timeline of these products, Sony initially went after the A/V and PC companies for support. It was after the BluRay consortium included the majority of HW companies, that studio support ended up tilting in their favor. It could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. Granted, Sony's movie portfolio also played a role, but my point is that the studios seem to have fallen in line with where the HW support is. The A/V and PC companies banding together seems to have created a powerful argument in support of BluRay, an argument that the majority of studios have agreed with.

At this point, it hasn’t come down the sides drawing lines in the sand – and there is a good reason for that. The studios obviously realize that more HW support should = more sales. While some people are brand-loyal, the general populace is more concerned about pricing and features. More support, means more competition, means lower pricing, means more features, means more sales. So even without A/V manufacturers exuding any sort of pressure as a group, the fact that they are in a group at all makes it more attractive to the studios.

Likewise consumers will not really care if the disc is a BD and they need a BD player, or if a disc is HD DVD and they need a HD DVD player, as long as the movies are there and the players are cheap, work well, and are plentiful.

I certainly agree, and this goes along with my points above … Sony made some very shrewd moves in how they created their consortium.

Note however, while this is true from a movie (ROM) standpoint, it is not true in the other markets these players are aimed at – namely storage (PC and DVR). In these markets, BluRay does have a perceived and actual advantage for being the better tech. As stated earlier, these markets will likely play a large role in the early acceptance of the platforms – and BluRay does have an advantage. If sales do well in these markets relative to HD-DVD as many would expect, that will translate into more studio support as well.

Basically, I see BluRay having strength on strength – and that it will translate in a synergistic effect of ever increasing adoption and support.

Top Bottom