• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Lingitiz

Alright, thanks guys. I was reading the ingame help and kind of thought I better not get too much support but never understood what the goal was really. Now I know where to be and I guess adopting people is a good way to lower it.

Found this great video explaining politics on Reddit.

danthefan

Got my civil war today but it was crushed in about 2 turns. I'm really starting to steamroll everything in my path now, have basically all of Western Europe and most of North Africa conquered now, will shortly start the push East. Going to finish this campaign and then turn the difficulty up and check out all the mods for my next playthrough.

Pinktaco

This game Wil. Eventually be GOTY in my eyes. Just a shame they have to make so many patches though.

Oh and I believe they're considering a family tree :)

demolitio

This game Wil. Eventually be GOTY in my eyes. Just a shame they have to make so many patches though.

Oh and I believe they're considering a family tree :)

Yup. I keep saying there's an extremely good game hidden under all these bugs, performance issues, and a few bad design decisions and it's only a matter of time until everyone sees that instead. I keep playing because I love the game even if it has untapped potential right now and I know it will only get better which is why I'm saving my Roman campaign for later while focusing on Sparta and other factions right now.

I'm done with this game. 112h, all my provinces begun to rebel without food when only 10 citys was necessary to finish.

I think I wasted my time. Anyway, next year I install him again.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Looks like another great patch. At least they are doing some good work even if the launch was an abortion.

Just fired this up for the first time. The only issue is, the textures on a lot of things look horrible, and even bumping things down to high from very high didn't seem to make much of a difference, with no impact on the framerate, which never drops below 30-ish on the benchmark. Unlimited video memory doesn't seem to make much of a difference either.

Hmm...

Installed the new beta patch and it seems to me like I'm running into even more problems now. Biggest problem is that alt+tabbing out of the game (which I always do between turns) fucks up the resolution (it's still running at 1920x1080 but I'm only getting a very small part of it) and there's no way of fixing it without closing the game.

Lingitiz

Installed the new beta patch and it seems to me like I'm running into even more problems now. Biggest problem is that alt+tabbing out of the game (which I always do between turns) fucks up the resolution (it's still running at 1920x1080 but I'm only getting a very small part of it) and there's no way of fixing it without closing the game.

CA said:
Disclaimer: There are one or two known issues with the beta that we are looking to resolve before rolling this out further, with ALT-Tabbing and changing game resolution. We are aware of these issues and there is no need to report them in our patch feedback threads.
They acknowledged this with the release so just hold tight and it should be resolved by Monday. Shitty, but I guess it's bound to happen with the rate these big patches are getting pushed out .

valouris

My performance went in the shitter as well after patch 2, patch 3 didn't do anything to remedy that, so I'm pretty disappointed. haven't touched the game since :(

huxley00

Patch with a few of Radius' mods and I'm having fun. I actually lost a campaign as Carthage on L/L, this will be a great game someday, it really has a solid foundation. I almost wish I didn't even know about it and just get it 6 months down the road. I imagine there will be some pretty cool expansions eventually as well.

Lingitiz

Played a bit of the game with Patch 3 over the last 2 nights. Battles are much improved and I'm seeing more stable performance and less bugs all around. The sally forth option has been a huge game changer for me. I was honestly tired of settlement fights, especially since I keep starting new campaigns. Fighting open field battles has been far more fun and refreshing.

Next week's patch seems to be more focused on UI/campaign improvements, so I'm looking forward to that. The game is slowly moving from a flawed mess on launch into the game I was hoping for.

DrSlek

After starting a new game the turns are certainly much faster. However in my original Iceni game, the turns are still long as crap while the AI moves about.

After starting a new game the turns are certainly much faster. However in my original Iceni game, the turns are still long as crap while the AI moves about.
It might be better to restart the game after a new patch hits, to prevent the AI from having to clean his own mess. Basically, dont plan any long-term games for a while, as the patches should be coming fast in the next couple of weeks.

Palmer_v1

Combined land/sea battle, I'm defending. I put a Greek Onager pointing at the nearby beach, rest of my army nearby. Onager single handedly sinks the general's ship, along with 3 or 4 other ships before they land. 4 Egyptian Archer and 2 Camel Archer units tear the rest to shreds. Remaining units still walking toward me slowly but surely across land, and have me outnumbered... except it's mostly slingers, 1 spearman, and a few swordsman units. 2 Citizan Cavalry and 2 Arabian Cavalry finish that right up. I suffer around 200 losses vs their 1600 or so before retreating.

Now if only I knew what the fuck my faction screen was for. I apparently have 48% of the senate house or some such shit.

Kainazzo

Nearly finished with my Rome campaign, may even be over tonight (130/140 regions). Oft-mentioned AI and balance issues aside, something I've really liked is the diplomacy. Since the beginning I've fostered good relations with Macedon/Athens/Knossos, with Pergamon and Trapezos becoming my clients. There's a sort of "Greek Confederation" that controls Turkey and the near-East, and they've been very good to me. That's never happened in any of my TW games before. I've also used my money to fight proxy wars, since I didn't want to march troops out so far.

-Athens lost its capital about midway through, and instead of reclaiming it, took its remaining armies to Syria, conquered a region, and ended up becoming a significant force in the Middle East. I'm reminded of the humorous M2TW Edessa playthrough.

-Though I own the majority of the map, the "Greek Confederation" is a considerable power of its own, and it'd be quite a war if the AI coordinated itself properly. Definitely like the possibility.

-Considering the high number of unique units between them, I suspect Thrace and Dacia will be future DLC. Consider also that Dacia (Dahae?) can also form the Celtic Confederation.

-I've wreaked havoc against Parthia with my proxy wars. Funneling money to my allies in Armenia and the steppes has really worked. For all its problem, their AIs got stuff done.

Orlandu84

Last night I finally had the chance to play Patch 3 with Radius' updated mod. Wow! I was able to fight a battle with 7 armies total without the game slowing to a crawl. Previously, anytime more than five thousand units were on the map, the game would move at a snail's pace. Not last night! My two legions faced off against five enemy legions on a forested hill and the game worked like a charm. Fast, slow, or normal the game kept going just fine. I was frankly in awe of it. For the first time I was so captivated by the game that I forgot what time it was.

Facism

Patch 3 beta did a lot to allay performance issues. It's not perfect, but it's great progress. Now updating to the patch 3 release. If you've had performance issues give the game a go now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It kinda sucks that I paid full price and am waiting to play it, but it seems that by the time I'm ready to get into this it will be :

1) fixed
2) on sale so i can convince one of my friends to buy it and play co-op with me.

Patch 3 beta did a lot to allay performance issues. It's not perfect, but it's great progress. Now updating to the patch 3 release. If you've had performance issues give the game a go now.
Game still stutters when i click on units, which is very annoying.

Lingitiz

Game still stutters when i click on units, which is very annoying.
It's those damn ugly 3D portraits of each general/agent. FPS takes a huge dip when those guys are on screen. I would have preferred a simple 2d portrait instead, but I'm sure modders will have to handle that.

Gaz_RB

It's those damn ugly 3D portraits of each general/agent. FPS takes a huge dip when those guys are on screen. I would have preferred a simple 2d portrait instead, but I'm sure modders will have to handle that.

Agreed. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to mod, but I guess we'll see soon.

• Doesn't your own Faction Tab become useless after Civil War? I can scroll all my generals and see gravitas and senate's percentage but the options are gone: can't propose marriage, kill, bribe, nothing. I want my family tree back *waves fist*
  • Battles are still far from being completely playable: sometimes I have to speed up 3x battles and wait 20 minutes because enemies ships get stuck on boarding one of mine and none of them can ram or kill my units. Or I have to roam the map tirelessly when fighting with fog because some enemy units remain hidden for the entire battle.

On the positive side: patch 3 decreased greatly the waiting time between turns and map doesn't dip your framerate to hell.

I hope for the next TW they realize they need more time in development and tweaking\testing: you can release your game and do great numbers but if you have to spend months and programmers on fixing it where are the benefits? That's time and workforce that's not working on your next title. Pls Sega be reasonable next time.

demolitio

Yea, patch 3 was a big enough change for me to be able to play this hours on end. It's proving to be a lot of fun even with it's flaws and I hit 105 turns with a huge empire and the civil war hasn't happened yet so I'm getting scared as to what's going to happen when that breaks out considering how huge my empire is.

I'm really enjoying these agents being spammed by the barbarians constantly ruining shit...until I decided to relocate 2 champions and 1 spy to convert them all so now I have 6 in that region alone...lol

My empire:

n2ls.jpg

I'm taking a break from this for GTAV, is it completely different now?

Patch 3 fixed the framerate in the campaign map, slowed down units movement during battle (they still get resolved in 5 minutes anyway) and added an option to "sally forth" during sieges have a normal battle in open map without capture points.

Battles are still broken in most cases, so no, it's not completely different.

Nokterian

I want to ask the dutch people here to read this tweet from one of the gamekings. How many even outside dutch country liked Angry Joe's review of this game? Me i like honest reviews and well he did this very well a long all others. But Jan from Gamekings said this to me when i said did you look at this review?

See his reply just can't wrap my head around it by judging people like this.

Jan Meijroos ‏@janmeijroos 39m

@Nokterian Angry Joe is een bizar figuur die zijn eigen ongezondheid exploiteert. Day 1 patch fixte meeste bugs. Zelf al gespeeld?

(translation : Angry Joe is a bizarre figure who operates his own ill health. Day 1 patch Fixte most bugs. Self played it?)

I played a lot of Shogun 2 and that game was pretty polished and a butt loads of content. But really nothing was fixed right on day one with Rome 2? It was or still is a buggy mess? These guys are to just like IGN just the worst.

F!ReW!Re

I want to ask the dutch people here to read this tweet from one of the gamekings. How many even outside dutch country liked Angry Joe's review of this game? Me i like honest reviews and well he did this very well a long all others. But Jan from Gamekings said this to me when i said did you look at this review?

@Nokterian Angry Joe is een bizar figuur die zijn eigen ongezondheid exploiteert. Day 1 patch fixte meeste bugs. Zelf al gespeeld?

(translation : Angry Joe is a bizarre figure who operates his own ill health. Day 1 patch Fixte most bugs. Self played it?)

I played a lot of Shogun 2 and that game was pretty polished and a butt loads of content. But really nothing was fixed right on day one with Rome 2? It was or still is a buggy mess? These guys are to just like IGN just the worst.

Day 1 patch fixed some minor issues, still buggy as hell and waiting on each turn on the AI takes way too long.

PU ain't what it used to be anyway.

Rapstah

Angry Joe makes a point of saying the Day One patch didn't change anything for him, so that's a pretty stupid complaint. He at the very least took it into account.

"Angry Joe is a bizzare figure who exploits his own noxiousness. The day one patch fixed most of the bugs. Have you played it yourself yet?"

(My Dutch is terrible. The first sentence makes no sense and the last sentence is just "Played it 'self yet?" which could be any person, Joe or you. No idea.)

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Well, civil war happened, didn't realize that was a thing lol, in 2 turns they got 3 of my cities in Africa while all my damn armies are up in northern Europe. The buggers are all totally stacked with Praetorians to.

Top Bottom