• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania² Canyon: Gameplay Video

That looked fun!

Hey, I've never played Trackmania but I was wondering, what's the point of the game?? Is it really just racing, and if it is just that, doesn't it get old quickly? Who/What is the kind of player you would recommend this game to?

jambo

Necronomikon said:
That looked fun!

Hey, I've never played Trackmania but I was wondering, what's the point of the game?? Is it really just racing, and if it is just that, doesn't it get old quickly? Who/What is the kind of player you would recommend this game to?

There are a few different things you can do in the game.

The most popular part is time trial tracks, where you and a bunch of either bots or online players try and get the best time on a track.

There are also stunt modes where you try and pull of tricks and stunts to get a certain amount of points.

One of the other great features of the game is the level editor, which allows you to create any track configuration you can think of.

It is incredibly addictive, especially the time trial stuff. Trying to shave milliseconds off of your time will quickly eat up your time!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
It looks so very nice. I will get this game when it comes out, as long as it is $40 or under, and as long as it doesn't have an Ubisoft online check to play. I actually liked playing offline time trials in Trackmania one Christmas where I didn't have online Steam access. :(
It's $30 or $40 right?

Also smh at people not thinking it would look that good. TM looks amazing already.
New car mechanics look fun, certainly different from Nations (Stadium)
Necronomikon said:
That looked fun!

Loops, boosters, wide ramps, weaving, air control, a ton of other things.
All from user made tracks 5-500 seconds in length. Most are 30-90 seconds long and it's all about getting your time down in multiplayer servers against others while chilling to some music and seeing how others play.
Tens of thousands of tracks.

Hakkuei

Necronomikon said:
That looked fun!

Hey, I've never played Trackmania but I was wondering, what's the point of the game?? Is it really just racing, and if it is just that, doesn't it get old quickly?
Not at all, players always create some new crazy maps... there is always something new.
Who/What is the kind of player you would recommend this game to?
The one who wants to have FUN, seriously. It's the most fun you can have with a game, even if you usually don't give a shit about racing games. It's just so addictive and so satisfying to play.

jambo

Hazaro said:
Also smh at people not thinking it would look that good. TM looks amazing already.

I knew it was going to look great, but seeing it in action is still amazing!

Cipherr

Necronomikon said:
That looked fun!

Dude,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNQBvtN6cns&feature=related

Its real fun. Its all about getting great finish times, so theres no collision with others on the track. Theres time trial mode, where online you get like 5 minutes to rerace the map as much as you can (the time trial stages normally only take 35 to 40 seconds to complete a run) trying to log the fastest time. At the end of the 5 minutes the race stops and everyone gets to see their ranking and a new map is loaded.

Ive also played another game mode that was like a grand prix of sorts. The maps were alot longer. Maybe 3 times as long as the short Time Trial ones. In any case its easier for you to just download steam, then download the free version which you can hop online and play for no cost. There are thooooouuuuuusssssaaaaannnds of maps to play. You will get a LOT of mileage out of the free version man. Just go play.

Rodney McKay said:
I would like a little less motion blur, but it does look amazing.

You can turn that off. I hate it too. Turned it off. It just takes away from the detail IMO. I dont get the appeal...

GSR

My god, that's gorgeous. It's a shame I know my rig isn't nearly good enough to run it at those levels.

I've always liked Trackmania, but I don't think this'll be day one for me if only because I'll be stuck with a laptop when it comes out.

Cipherr said:
Dude,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNQBvtN6cns&feature=related

Its real fun. Its all about getting great finish times, so theres no collision with others on the track. Theres time trial mode, where online you get like 5 minutes to rerace the map as much as you can (the time trial stages normally only take 35 to 40 seconds to complete a run) trying to log the fastest time. At the end of the 5 minutes the race stops and everyone gets to see their ranking and a new map is loaded.

Ive also played another game mode that was like a grand prix of sorts. The maps were alot longer. Maybe 3 times as long as the short Time Trial ones. In any case its easier for you to just download steam, then download the free version which you can hop online and play for no cost. There are thooooouuuuuusssssaaaaannnds of maps to play. You will get a LOT of mileage out of the free version man. Just go play.

You can turn that off. I hate it too. Turned it off. It just takes away from the detail IMO. I dont get the appeal...

Holy crap. Saw Trackmania in Target the other day for the Wii. Buying it sometime this week.

jambo

Cipherr said:

People are used to motion blur in films so they think it's more cinematic when it's in games.

The M.O.B

BEST RACING GAME OF THE YEAR!

BOOK IT
MAIL IT
QUOTE IT

Nothing is coming close this year, the acradey ones nor the sim ones.

Thanks for the replies guys!! Will try the first one and I'll keep my eyes on this one as it really looks beautiful and over the top fun!

Kaako said:
That driving. That track. That improved graphics. This game.
Not pictured: the hundreds of previous failed attempts before the perfect replay was achieved.

Wouldn't have it any other way. :D

TimmiT

AbsoluteZero said:
Holy crap. Saw Trackmania in Target the other day for the Wii. Buying it sometime this week.
Don't. Download Trackmania Nations Forever for free on Steam and if you like that buy United Forever. It works on pretty much any PC.

The M.O.B

TimmiT said:
Don't. Download Trackmania Nations Forever for free on Steam and if you like that buy United Forever. It works on pretty much any PC.

The wii one is a decent port, plus it has new tracks I believe. But yeah if you don't mind playing games on your PC then just give Nations a try.

jambo

The M.O.B said:
The wii one is a decent port, plus it has new tracks I believe. But yeah if you don't mind playing games on your PC then just give Nations a try.

The PC version has unlimited tracks.

I had to stop the video when it got to the night race.

THRa7.jpg

This is the same feeling I had playing Blur. It's like doing cocaine through your eyes.
I worry that the increased detail will be too much visual noise.. just making the tracks harder to read and learn. But still. Beautiful.
If Nadeo let Ubisoft screw this up with always on DRM that'll be a damn shame.

That looks amazing. I loved the freeware version of Trackmania Nations. Some of the weird and awesome creations made with the track editor were more like puzzles than actual racetracks. Hopefully part deux will be just as mod friendly.

Maiger

Dat driving! Game look gorgeous, day 1. So many great games coming this fall, my wallet is crying already.

Sanjay

jambo said:
Next month.

Really? day one for sure, still feel guilty for not buying the last one and just playing off the free version.

Also love the fact that cars go through you so no one can ram you off the track, yes fuck you Meteorain.

Top Bottom