• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania² Canyon: Gameplay Video

Leonsito

-SD- said:
I started back then, in October. Lots of official team vs. team cups, countless of hours online and offline. Most fun I've ever had with a racing game.

Broken? Nothing was broken, you just sucked at it :)

Desert controls slightly (very slightly) differently in United but it's by no means any "easier". I love Desert and still think it's the best TM environment of all, including Canyon. I must mention that when I'm talking about 'Desert' I mean the time before the Speed-Up add-on. The addition of such blocks as long straights and long tilted curves and way more speed ruined the original idea of Desert.

Yep, that was my main problem, lol.

My feeling too was that the original Trackmania was much more focused on skill than speed, there were circuits that you almost never hit more than one second the throttle, some circuits were like a platforming game with a car.

Melchiah

Looks fantastic, and I love the sense of speed. What I don't like is the seeming lack of hills and jumps, and that you don't see what's ahead so good; if the driver didn't know the road by memory, he'd be constantly ramming to the walls. Hopefully the video gives a wrong impression when it comes to that, as I loved the earlier TM games.

-SD-

Banned
With a new map you're some times lost during the first few rounds. I have not seen any helpful signs pointing the right way in TM2. It's just like the original TrackMania before the various add-ons. Really a back-to-basics experience.

Holy shit the fantrailer.

That motion blur while he's racing is gt5 photomode bullshot quality.

Heck everything about the game looks insanely good.
You really need the IQ from a properly encdoded video to appreciate it.

eso76

can't wait for next gen.
New racers with that IQ, lighting, motion blur and smoothness shall be glorious.

Also, next gen Wipeout needs to look like this.

eso76 said:
can't wait for next gen.
New racers with that IQ, lighting, motion blur and smoothness shall be glorious.

Also, next gen Wipeout needs to look like this.

Wipeout HD already looks better than this to me. Seriously. Same goes for many other racers as far as I'm concerned.

TheExodu5

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Wipeout HD already looks better than this to me. Seriously. Same goes for many other racers as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe you should take off your TV world glasses...I think they're impairing your vision.

1-D_FTW

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe you should take off your TV world glasses...I think they're impairing your vision.

Or maybe he needs to put some on. Either way, I think the central location has been determined.

Kikarian

That person playing the game was like a boss.

He drifted the corners perfectly.

This game looks so good! I can't wait to get it.

Does anyone know if DRM is involved?

TheExodu5

Banned
DodgeAnon said:
Does anyone know if DRM is involved?

I don't think there's been any confirmation, but we're most likely to see Ubisoft's "you must be connected 100% of the time to play" scheme.

Mik2121

I absolutely LOVE how this game is shaping up.

I played the original trackmania (nations, though) for so long... I will be buying this day one and playing it all day long :_D (I wish.. I'll be busy but I'll definitely have time to play a bunch of races every now and then)

Kaako said:
Well aren't we fancy...
Is driving like that in the game hard? lol
If it's anything like in the first game, then yes.

BUT it's not neccesarily frustrating, the game has a very long (not really steep, just looong) learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's more like riding a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvEu_4r61Gs

Stole this link from RPS, this kinda stuff is what you should expect from the track editor.
Next person to compare this to wipeout or split second will be shot at dawn.

strafer

I would have screwed that up so badly. :p

trackmaniajumpi7xq.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
SneakyStephan said:
If it's anything like in the first game, then yes.

BUT it's not neccesarily frustrating, the game has a very long (not really steep, just looong) learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's more like riding a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvEu_4r61Gs

Stole this link from RPS, this kinda stuff is what you should expect from the track editor.
Next person to compare this to wipeout or split second will be shot at dawn.
Holy shit @ that track/video hahaha. That is freaking nuts.
I look forward to Canyon. Especially the crazy ass tracks people create.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, whoever recommended trying Trackmania Forever - I love you.

will be there day 1.

Trickster

Kaako said:
Well aren't we fancy...
Is driving like that in the game hard? lol

Yeah driving like that is hard, I actually have a hard time believing it's an actual player driving in this footage.

1-D_FTW

Trickster said:
Yeah driving like that is hard, I actually have a hard time believing it's an actual player driving in this footage.

I think it's just some really good keyboard jockey. I watch those videos and actually feel kind of relieved. In my head: "So that's what it takes to top the leaderboard? Yeah, I'm good with my times now. I ain't getting close to that and I can live with it."

1-D_FTW said:
I think it's just some really good keyboard jockey. I watch those videos and actually feel kind of relieved. In my head: "So that's what it takes to top the leaderboard? Yeah, I'm good with my times now. I ain't getting close to that and I can live with it."

Games with sweet learning curves are always like that, you can be at peace with the progress you made (and that you 'll continue to get better) while enjoying watching what others can do.

Works for good sports, works for good games with good long learning curves.

epmode

subversus said:
ok, whoever recommended trying Trackmania Forever - I love you.

will be there day 1.
Nice, I really thought you were trolling with that earlier stuff. Brilliant game for sure.

colt45joe

Banned
should every game have it setup where you can restart a level instantly like super meat boy and track mania when you die/mess up ? Its so convenient, and addictive. I'm playing mirrors edge race levels, and i wish it had something like that.

Tain

i fuckin' love that jump gif.

colt45joe said:
should every game have it setup where you can restart a level instantly like super meat boy and track mania when you die/mess up ? Its so convenient, and addictive. I'm playing mirrors edge race levels, and i wish it had something like that.

I love tension (something Super Meat Boy only really has in its life-limited side stages, for me), so nah. That would severely harm a lot of my favorite arcade games, too.

woober

Is this a racing game that's better played on a keyboard? I have a steering wheel I use for GT5, but not sure if this is the type of game that benefits from a steering wheel.

-SD-

Banned
-SD- said:
With a new map you're some times lost during the first few rounds. I have not seen any helpful signs pointing the right way in TM2. It's just like the original TrackMania before the various add-ons. Really a back-to-basics experience.
Scratch that!

There are road signs in the latest version.

epmode

woober said:
Is this a racing game that's better played on a keyboard? I have a steering wheel I use for GT5, but not sure if this is the type of game that benefits from a steering wheel.
Keyboards and pads are OK and you'll find people who defend both options. You need to make a lot of quick shifts from 100% in one direction to another so a wheel doesn't work very well.

1-D_FTW

epmode said:
Keyboards and pads are OK and you'll find people who defend both options. You need to make a lot of quick shifts from 100% in one direction to another so a wheel doesn't work very well.

I played with a 360 controller. But on some of the puzzle courses in United, I'd finally cry and uncle and switch to keyboard on some really difficult stretches. There's no doubt in my mind the game was tuned with the keyboard in mind.

Glad to see those crazy Canyon driving videos being played by 360 users, though. Gives me hope they've cleaned it up so it's not so touchy with the pad. Because pad or bust for me.

Top Bottom