• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania² Canyon: Gameplay Video

NIN90

High-level Trackmania play looks so amazing yet I was always bored after a few minutes when I tried Trackmania. :/

TheExodu5

Banned
Looks great.

I will provide a slight bit of criticism about the visuals, however. One little thing isn't quite right, and it has to do with the vehicle contrast against the road. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'd wager it's the lack of ambient occlusion around the vehicle.

edit: yeah, pretty positive it's the lack of ambient occlusion. When there's no shadow in between the vehicle and the road, the vehicle almost looks like a 2D cutout against the road. A bit of AO around the vehicle would go a long way to enhance the image.

Leonsito

TheExodu5 said:
Looks great.

I will provide a slight bit of criticism about the visuals, however. One little thing isn't quite right, and it has to do with the vehicle contrast against the road. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'd wager it's the lack of ambient occlusion around the vehicle.

Don't know if this's the case, but normally when you design a game you want the player you control, enemies and interactive objects to stand out so they can be spotted at first sight.

mblitek

How does this game compare to other car games? What's the gameplay like? Obviously I'm asking my questions about Trackmania1 to get answers. Thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
mblitek said:
How does this game compare to other car games? What's the gameplay like? Obviously I'm asking my questions about Trackmania1 to get answers. Thanks!
The closest games I can think of are Trials and Supet Meat Boy.

The aim in the game is largely the same: getting the best times in courses comprised of twitch, accuracy, an acrobatic challenges. The game is about replaying and replaying as you try to perfect your run to get the gold medal.

The game blends racing and frustration platforming elements very nicely. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
It is a time trial platformer with cars, not a head to head racing game. There are ghosts, but no AI.
However, you could do online play versus other players to get the best time with the old Trackmania game(s) (no car collision but they would show up on the track). I thought there would have been a way to have bots as well, but I suppose not.

every other developer should be forced to watch this trailer.

not because the graphics are so good (though they are) but because the person playing the game is so good. i'm sick and tired of watching people crap at games demoing them, and it's very refreshing to see someone ridiculously good demonstrating it.

<3 Trackmania. Bought the original the day it came out in the UK. will be day one on this one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Teknopathetic said:
"Pass"

There's no point in having AI in the game, there's no car collision.

Very unfortunate as I was looking forward to it and this video makes me regret it even more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There are goal times on TM made tracks with ghosts.

Every racer online with no collision is far better than AI I think.

Antagon

subversus said:
Very unfortunate as I was looking forward to it and this video makes me regret it even more.

Believe me, play half an hour of Trackmania and you'll understand why theres no collission.

subversus said:
You race against the track, not against AI.
It's all about mastering the line, the power sliding and learning to make use of the zones at the edge of the track.

The learning curve is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and amazing. <-- this part makes it an actual video game, and not another pathetic gold star everyone is a winner cinematic 4 hour QTE.

There would be no point in playing a game like this against AI, just play it against other players , learn from their lines etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
subversus said:
Wait, are you being completely serious about this or is this some sort of stealth troll? Do you really expect AI in this game? This is one of the few instances where a racing game doesn't need AI, nor would the inclusion of AI benefit the game in any way.

jambo

subversus said:
:lol :lol :lol

This guys a laugh!

You can always try out the free TrackMania Nations on Steam to get a feel for the series.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
My eyes melt from the beauty of it all.

The drifting looks oh so smooth and capable, I look forward to my future attempts at trying such tight curves only to fail and restart until I get it exactly right. The sense of accomplishment when I get that highest medal, shaving mere seconds and eventually milliseconds until I simply can't do any better, oh what a rush.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just watching the video is already making me cringe every time the driver comes near a corner.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG, aaaaaahhhhhhhhh OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG, pheeeeewwwwww....

like that but for hours and hours

Ranger X

Shalashaska161 said:
And people say that the consoles are still ok. That looks phenomenal.

What really wows here is mostly the lighting quality. This could be striking similar on 360/PS3and probably WiiU.

Drazgul

KenOD said:
My eyes melt from the beauty of it all.

The drifting looks oh so smooth and capable, I look forward to my future attempts at trying such tight curves only to fail and restart until I get it exactly right. The sense of accomplishment when I get that highest medal, shaving mere seconds and eventually milliseconds until I simply can't do any better, oh what a rush.

Same. I just pity my neighbors who will have to deal with me cursing very loudly.

subversus

jambo said:
:lol :lol :lol

This guys a laugh!

You can always try out the free TrackMania Nations on Steam to get a feel for the series.

Ok, I'll do it tonight.

subversus

Hazaro said:
Poor representation I feel.
Much better to hop on yourself.

yeah, if I didn't know that Giant Bomb guys are awful at what they play I wouldn't even download it tonight.

TimmiT

Goddamn at all of those videos. It looks like they improved on pretty much everything in United Forever. Can't wait to play this game.

-SD-

Banned
Leonsito said:
Anyone played the original Trackmania back in 2003?
I started back then, in October. Lots of official team vs. team cups, countless of hours online and offline. Most fun I've ever had with a racing game.

Leonsito said:
I loved the snow tracks, and thought the desert ones were broken, they were fucking hard and the car was undrivable, I think they are easier now in the united engine.
Broken? Nothing was broken, you just sucked at it :)

Desert controls slightly (very slightly) differently in United but it's by no means any "easier". I love Desert and still think it's the best TM environment of all, including Canyon. I must mention that when I'm talking about 'Desert' I mean the time before the Speed-Up add-on. The addition of such blocks as long straights and long tilted curves and way more speed ruined the original idea of Desert.

Top Bottom