• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump addresses Charlottesville [Up: Trump's people force him to croak out "racism"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calion

so has Mr. Trump said radical right-wing terrorism, white nationalism, or neo-nazi yet?

I haven't kept up today.

Is it that hard to look at the very top of the page?

Edit:

Here's the exact quote if you missed it:

"The KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."

Full statement:

”Racism is evil – and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans. We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under the Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America."

Wilsongt

Good for him.

But that was totally fucking written for him, without any guidance. He would never admit to white people doing anything bad. This is obviously just the White House throwing a bone, too.

The "other hate groups" leaves him and his supporters and out to blame BLM and other groups for violence. Not just nazi shitheads.

Z_Y

It's obvious he was forced to say this. 48 hours too late and dodging the questions on Saturday showed his true colors and this statement isn't going to change any of that. However, it is probably going to piss off the KKK and neo-nazis...so I'm good with that. lol

Zips

Clearly insincere, unfeeling, and not his own words.

He was forced to do this, and only because smarter heads around him know that they can't completely alienate those outside his nazi base. This is a basic attempt at trying to walk the tightrope of keeping as much of the nazi support as possible, while fooling those who want to be fooled and feel they can support/vote for him with a clear conscience.

He won't get all of either group with this, but they're aiming for holding on to enough of a combination of both.

UberTag

WTF does "presidential" even mean in this context? Reading off a teleprompter? In that case, literally anyone posting here could be presidential. Anyone with the ability to read is presidential. JFC stop lowering the fucking bar.
Anyone posting here WOULD make a better president than Donald Trump.
I wouldn't trust that man to run a lemonade stand.

RedAssedApe

Banned

"The KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."

Full statement:

“Racism is evil – and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans. We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under the Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.”

now how hard was that?

I'm not taking anything he says at face value, I get he's lying through his teeth now just like he always has. But if my choices are living in a future where he said nothing (which looked pretty likely until an hour ago) or where he finally said the right thing long after he should have, I'm gonna pick the one where he eventually said it. Yeah its fucking depressing that those were the choices but I'd say one of those is clearly better than the other. I'm not sure what about that particular opinion makes everyone so anxious.

People in power pretending to be for all, while working to maintain inequality, and all the people who are okay with that, is one of the biggest problems in America.

RPGCrazied

Its not from him. His party is making him say this. Period. Had absolutely no emotion. Not to mention its 3 days late.

And who the fuck does a stump speech before making remarks of Nazi's and the KKK?

Wilsongt

Bryan Cranston @BryanCranston
It felt like @realDonaldTrump read the TelePrompTer message condemning hate groups like a hostage forced to read a statement by his captors.
12:54 PM · Aug 14, 2017

Teehee

This is a basic attempt at trying to walk the tightrope of keeping as much of the nazi support as possible, while fooling those who want to be fooled and feel they can support/vote for him with a clear conscience.

He won't get all of either group with this, but they're aiming for holding on to enough of a combination of both.

How much of his voters constitute Nazi supporters? How do you even quantify this?

In a time where a president is needed to lead the country, Trump cowers, only to release a ho-hum no shit written by someone else response days later.

Ithil

Not seeing any praise for it on the news I'm watching. People are shitting on the fact that he took two days to condemn Nazis but instantly attacks others like civil rights leaders, actors, veterans, etc.

Zeta Oni

I'm not taking anything he says at face value, I get he's lying through his teeth now just like he always has. But if my choices are living in a future where he said nothing (which looked pretty likely until an hour ago) or where he finally said the right thing long after he should have, I'm gonna pick the one where he eventually said it. Yeah its fucking depressing that those were the choices but I'd say one of those is clearly better than the other. I'm not sure what about that particular opinion makes everyone so anxious.

And I just cant agree.

At least in a reality where he never came out and said this, all of the cards would be on the table in this country for once.

Now we have deal with those who will look and say "oh look the president said something against it" and return back to their jolly every day lives since the fear that their government might actually be run by white nationalists has been "subdued".

Now we have to cross our eyes every time someone throws out a "but at least he spoke against it" despite everyone with some common sense knowing he meant none of it.

His words did nothing but let the people who sit idly by and let this poison continue to spread throughout our country through their inaction know that they can afford to sit around a little longer.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
In a time where a president is needed to lead the country, Trump cowers, only to release a ho-hum no shit written by someone else response days later.

It's like on one hand I'm happy he actually said it, he absolutely needed to say it, but my god does that statement reek of publicist bullshit. I don't think there's anyway he comes out and says that without being pressured by god knows how many people over the last few days.

Mahonay

Banned
It felt like @realDonaldTrump read the TelePrompTer message condemning hate groups like a hostage forced to read a statement by his captors.

Teehee
That is amazing, haha.

Cranston is definitely one of the good ones in Hollywood.

Slacker

Completely meaningless statement. Nazis will claim he was forced to say it for political expediency but doesn't really mean it. And they will be correct.

He ran a campaign on being tough and shitting on the weak and has done nothing but reaffirm just how much he was deflecting the entire time. He has absolutely no leadership skills. Shitting on actors is easy. Looking good in the face of murderous nazis takes preparation.

Gattsu25

Banned

Full statement:

“Racism is evil – and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans. We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under the Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.”

Created a thread for this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419336

RedAssedApe

Banned

Teehee

someone probably took his phone and said he wouldnt be allowed to tweet unless he made the statement

Ithil

Completely meaningless statement. Nazis will claim he was forced to say it for political expediency but doesn't really mean it. And they will be correct.

The wormy little Republicans will go "LOOK HE SAID THAT HE IS VERY PRESIDENTIAL AND HAS MADE UP FOR HIS PREVIOUS STATEMENTS LET'S MOVE ON" nonstop.

Exactly. The nazis heard his message loud and clear on Saturday. The Daily Stormer praised him up and down for it.

And I'm sure they knew, eventually, at some point Trump would be politically forced to publicly "condemn" nazis and white supremacists.

How much of his voters constitute Nazi supporters? How do you even quantify this?

It's just not possible. Even if every American were polled, the Nazis among them would lie about their beliefs the same way other Trump supporters lied about who they were going to vote for. Most of these people are cowards.

VariantX

now how hard was that?

Unbelievably hard for someone who wants the white supremacists to vote for him. So hard that someone else had to write it for him. So hard that he had to leave the room when asked about his stance on the events of Charlottesville.

The wormy little Republicans will go "LOOK HE SAID THAT HE IS VERY PRESIDENTIAL AND HAS MADE UP FOR HIS PREVIOUS STATEMENTS LET'S MOVE ON" nonstop.

Of course. They purposefully left that door open with their statements to provide them cover when he eventually get cry 'Uncle' and agree to read this speech someone else wrote.

Still glad they criticized him on it though, even with that open door.

Slacker

Exactly. The nazis heard his message loud and clear on Saturday. The Daily Stormer praised him up and down for it.

And I'm sure they knew, eventually, at some point Trump would be politically forced to publicly "condemn" nazis and white supremacists.

Not to mention the fact he carefully read the statement from the prompter. Afraid to speak from the heart, Easy D?

Zips

Who said anything about quantifying it?

His supporters absolutely includes nazis, as we have seen. Do I think they are 100% of his supporters? No. I don't think America has 60 million-ish nazis. They are trying to hold on to the support of both the nazis that support him, and those who aren't nazis but still support him.

I'm not sure what you mean.

hiryu64

Sounds like someone's been browsing 4chan. (NSFW link to /pol/ thread saved on archive.is)
>Keep the long-term goals covert, and don't ever reveal your power level. Talking openly about an white ethnostate only leads to failure and the average public turning against you, so disavow anyone who reveals his power level. Leftists will recognize dog whistles and know we're crypto[fascists], but normies won't listen to them.
Granted, this could be tongue-in-cheek given the use of the phrase "crypto," but regardless, the sentiment is there.

It's obvious he was forced to say this. 48 hours too late and dodging the questions on Saturday showed his true colors and this statement isn't going to change any of that. However, it is probably going to piss off the KKK and neo-nazis...so I'm good with that. lol

About that, the Nazis already know where they stand with Trump now. That's why his response on Saturday was such a disaster. A backpedal can be easily written as Trump just placating us bleeding heart liberals.

bengraven

What's really sad is that there are people who firmly believe that they are correct in that we (as people Who universally condemn this) are absolutely ignorant and stupid and short minded and traitors and that all of us deserve to die. But this is actually the proper thing to do in a society, that this "fat skank" deserves to suffer in her afterlife - that her family deserves the suffering it's going to bring to them.

And with absolutely worse - that there are people like our president, who support our president, or who are simply going to be quiet about this because of their support of the president but who are all guilty of this crime and yet they see nothing wrong with her death and celebrate it.

Yep. Trump is also going to continue pushing that "many sides" narrative to rope BLM and Antifa in as well.

Piece of fucking shit.

Good. Well done, Trump.

He's going to get grilled by the left and the media regardless and he'll get no credit for saying it though. I think he deserves the backlash this time.

He doesn't get a cookie for saying something he should have said in the first fucking place. One doesn't deserve a pat on the back for finally cleaning up the vomit you left fermenting on your parents' floor for 48 hours after raiding their liquor cabinet and then refusing to take care of it yourself. And as others have already pointed out, the statement today rings hollow regardless considering how quickly he's condemned other specific figures before for far more debatable violations of public good and decency and that Steve King of White Supremacy Bannon still has a position in the White House. Talk is cheap, and apparently even that's too dear for Trump. Anyone who thinks the statement today was genuine has their head in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom