• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump begging people to vote Ron Estes in Kansas early election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Ron Estes is running TODAY for Congress in the Great State of Kansas. A wonderful guy, I need his help on Healthcare & Tax Cuts (Reform).

So there is an election happening today in Kansas, first one after Trump winning? Its a red state, man the salt if the democrat can win there.

Don't forget Cruz and Pence both showed up in person to give speeches, the fact they have to do that in a red district says something.

http://time.com/4733441/kansas-special-election-republicans-donald-trump/

Will the people of Kansas reverse their recent backslide into feifdom and budgetary suicide? My magic 8-ball says...no.

Is it normal for a US president to plead like this?

I always thought it was the houses that paid for and moved on behalf of its members to get the votes

Cipherr

man the salt if the democrat can win there.

Nah. Trust me. KS voters (the majority anyway) would burn that entire state to the ground under R's than even blink at voting Democratic.

Whole fucking state would have to be in ruins like a Hunger Games district for there to even be a CHANCE.

It's not happening. Eventually folks will just leave the state for greener pastures, but they aren't voting Democratic.

Ron Estes is running in a Trump +30 district, and Republicans have been running around scared that they will lose the seat. I think the RNC pumped something like $100k into the race and have had some big names help his campaign like Ted Cruz and Pence.

Dems in the district are apparently fired up and ready to vote, so hopefully we can at least make it close.

Nah. Trust me. KS voters (the majority anyway) would burn that entire state to the ground under R's than even blink at voting Democratic.

Whole fucking state would have to be in ruins like a Hunger Games district for there to even be a CHANCE.

It's not happening. Eventually folks will just leave the state for greener pastures, but they aren't voting Democratic.

If there is a state that the Republican's have almost burned to the ground, it's Kansas.

RPGCrazied

I really want this to happen. Just think. Them losing. Add that to all the winning Trump has done so far, and all it spells is disaster.

I always thought it was the houses that paid for and moved on behalf of its members to get the votes

I mean presidents will sometimes campaign for people in their party. Usually in person and not on twitter. And I feel like in the past it has mostly been for important seats or people they really like.

Most presidents in the past with approval ratings as low as Trump's generally avoid campaigning for anyone as they may end up hurting the candidate.

Never say never. I mean, just look at who is President right now. Anything can happen.

A president that Kansas likes very much.
800px-United_States_presidential_election_in_Kansas%2C_2016.svg.png

I mean presidents will sometimes campaign for people in their party. Usually in person and not on twitter. And I feel like in the past it has mostly been for important seats or people they really like.

Most presidents in the past with approval ratings as low as Trump's generally avoid campaigning for anyone as they may end up hurting the candidate.

Oh ok, thanks for the info

A president that Kansas likes very much.
800px-United_States_presidential_election_in_Kansas%2C_2016.svg.png

Damn, thats red - all Kansas too eh?! Wow

A president that Kansas likes very much

This is an election the GOP could win without even trying in most other years, and now they were forced to bring in the entire cavalry because polling shows that a Dem upset is very possible.

Even taking the district down to R+2 or even R+5 would send shockwaves through the GOP. Because that would imply any R+20 or so was in very real danger of being kicked out in 2018.

mcfrank

This is an election the GOP could win without even trying in most other years, and now they were forced to bring in the entire cavalry because polling shows that a Dem upset is very possible.

Even taking the district down to R+2 or even R+5 would send shockwaves through the GOP. Because that would imply any R+20 or so was in very real danger of being kicked out in 2018.

Yup. Estes has also run a garbage campaign.

shem935

Banned
Hey people in Kansas in these districts, go vote. I don't give a damn if you think your vote normally doesn't count, let's make this as close as possible to scare them shitless

Averon

I'm under no delusions that the Democrat can pull it out in Kansas. That is the state that re-elected Sam Brownback after all. Seems Kansas would rather slit their wrists (economically speaking) than to vote for a Dem.

FyreWulff

No. It would be politically stupid to give a full endorsement this early in your presidency because if the guy loses it's an easy mark against your political sway.

So of course Trump does it.

ezrarh

I'm under no delusions that the Democrat can pull it out in Kansas. That is the state that re-elected Sam Brownback after all. Seems Kansas with rather slit their wrists (economically speaking) than to vote for a Dem.

At a much smaller margin on Brownback's reelection. But yeah, no expectations except for the norm...

It doesn't matter if the democrat wins, that's not the point. The point is that we're even having this conversation. A close 2-8 contest will be big news.

2018 is shaping up to be a disaster for republicans.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
No. It would be politically stupid to give a full endorsement this early in your presidency because if the guy loses it's an easy mark against your political sway.

So of course Trump does it.
His fight with Kasich over the Ohio Republican Party chair was far more riskier. This is nothing and a safe bet.

JohnsonUT

I'm under no delusions that the Democrat can pull it out in Kansas. That is the state that re-elected Sam Brownback after all. Seems Kansas with rather slit their wrists (economically speaking) than to vote for a Dem.

As others have said, even getting this to within 5 points is a win. This result can help moderate some of the terrible decision making. If Republican congress actually fears for their seats they will have to tone it down or even better make a split with Trump in order to preserve themselves.

If you are in this district in Kansas, vote! Special election have very low turnout, so your vote will never be more weighty than it is today.

If you are near Atlanta, Georgia, there is also another important election next Tuesday. This is a district that Hillary only lost by 1.5 percent. Vote!

Yeah, even if Estes wins, and he most likely will, the fact that the GOP has to go to this lengths for a special election says a lot. It really echoes the loss of the Kennedy seat after Obama's first term, a seemingly impossible loss for Dems at the time, even though I don't think the GOP will actually lose here.

Barzul

Ron Estes is running in a Trump +30 district, and Republicans have been running around scared that they will lose the seat. I think the RNC pumped something like $100k into the race and have had some big names help his campaign like Ted Cruz and Pence.

Dems in the district are apparently fired up and ready to vote, so hopefully we can at least make it close.

If there is a state that the Republican's have almost burned to the ground, it's Kansas.

Honestly we don't even have to win here. If it ends up something R +4 then 2018 will be a bloodbath for Republicans. If anything it'll help us measure Dem excitement in red states.

Has Brownback messed up Kansas enough yet? Hell he almost lost to a nobody himself.

Brownback’s standing in the electorate began to plummet; his approval rating sunk to the thirties. But the clearest sign that he was in deep trouble came in August. In the Republican gubernatorial primary, Brownback’s only opponent was Jennifer Winn, a Wichita businesswoman with no political experience and a campaign war chest of $13,596.17. Her son was facing murder charges from a botched drug deal, and she ran on a platform of legalizing marijuana. She won 37 percent of the vote.

Voted for Thompson this morning. Would love to see an upset, but having lived in this region my entire life I know it's not likely. I'm just hoping people go out and vote, but again, I'm not optimistic.

digdug2k

I'm under no delusions that the Democrat can pull it out in Kansas. That is the state that re-elected Sam Brownback after all. Seems Kansas would rather slit their wrists (economically speaking) than to vote for a Dem.
Heh. Did the public schools get to open this year even there? I can't for the of me understand how you can run a stare into the ground so much that you've got so little money on hand that you your schools are order closed by a judge, and people still voted the fuckwit in again. But I'm all for states rights in this climate. Let the red ones burn themselves to the ground. Anything to minimize trumps influence.

wildfire

Banned
The fact that the President of the United States is making robocalls in what's usually considered a safe R district can most definitely be considered begging. They're desperate.

That in of itself doesn't make Trump himself look desperate. That's something I would pin on the rest of the party. The fact he mentions this guy would help push his Health reform plans is what clinches it as desperate on personal level.

He's not begging.

Bad title.

I agree, its called bias. I remember reading five biographies of Alexander the Great and then seeing the way they describe the same events. Its all about the little words.
If he went on his knees on live tv then thats what I'd call begging.

theWB27

I agree, its called bias. I remember reading five biographies of Alexander the Great and then seeing the way they describe the same events. Its all about the little words.
If he went on his knees on live tv then thats what I'd call begging.

You can beg without getting on your knees. But wow ya'll are hung up over the title.

Lkr

I don't like trump whatsoever but campaigning for your party isn't begging. I do think trump is desperate for a W right now so he is trying to go for what should be an easy one. If he takes an L here it will be hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom