• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Picks Climate Skeptic Jeff Sessions to Enforce Environmental Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Full article here

Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions, whom President-elect Donald Trump put forward Friday as his choice for attorney general, has questioned mainstream science on man-made climate change and attacked U.S. EPA for regulatory outreach.

It’s a sign, activists say, that he would likely back Trump’s promises to roll back President Obama’s climate policies.

The Department of Justice is not as high-profile on climate issues as EPA. But Sessions, if confirmed, could shape how the Trump administration defends and enforces environmental laws. In the Senate, Sessions has been a powerful critic of greenhouse gas regulations, calling the underlying climate science “deliberate misinformation.”

“I don’t know we know enough now to answer this question conclusively either way, but there’s been a lot of exaggeration, there’s been a lot of hype, and people are feeling the crunch already in their electric bills ... in our effort to stop storms that don’t seem to be going down, or to stop temperatures that don’t seem to be rising,” he said in a 2014 Senate floor speech.

A U.S. prosecutor and attorney general in Alabama before being elected to the Senate in 1996, Sessions serves on the Judiciary Committee and the Environment and Public Works Committee. Accusations of racism during Sessions’ tenure as a prosecutor derailed a 1986 nomination for a federal judgeship, and he once again faces intense scrutiny from civil rights groups fearful about the protection of minority rights under the Trump administration.

But his views on climate change have also stoked concern among environmentalists, who have previously counted on the Obama administration’s Justice Department to uphold agencies’ climate rules and go after energy companies for wrongdoing.

The League of Conservation Voters gave Sessions a lifetime score of 7 percent. He has received nearly $400,000 in campaign contributions from the oil and gas industry over the course of his Senate career, according to the OpenSecrets.org campaign finance database. He has repeatedly voted in favor of expanding drilling and energy production, a review of his record shows.

Cherry on top? He seems to be a bigot as well. Yay!

“I don’t know we know enough now to answer this question conclusively either way, but there’s been a lot of exaggeration, there’s been a lot of hype, and people are feeling the crunch already in their electric bills ... in our effort to stop storms that don’t seem to be going down, or to stop temperatures that don’t seem to be rising

That's one of the most blatantly stupid statements I've read from another human being and I've been on the internet since '95.

Firebrand

Fuck these people who prioritizes their own balance account over the climate, all species and the future of the planet.

How can it even be legal for someone to accept such a position under such blatant conflict of interests? It's corruption at its most obvious.

“I don’t know we know enough now to answer this question conclusively either way, but there’s been a lot of exaggeration, there’s been a lot of hype, and people are feeling the crunch already in their electric bills ... in our effort to stop storms that don’t seem to be going down, or to stop temperatures that don’t seem to be rising,” he said in a 2014 Senate floor speech.

"we've barely tried anything, and it's not working. Why try to do better?"

I just made a thread about how Trump picked anti-net neutrality people to oversee the FCC, but this is much worse news. At this point I wonder if humanity is going to survive the next century.

Blader

The politicians who deny climate change and actively work to regress climate action are often the same people who fear China's ascension as a global superpower -- and ironically, because China is the other major polluter in the world and is already taking drastic steps to cut their CO2 emissions, the U.S. backing away from climate action will only elevate China's status as the *leader* in global climate action. Climate deniers who are fearful of China have just made China a much more powerful in the long run.

In other words, they have, yet again, played themselves.

Caj814

The politicians who deny climate change and actively work to regress climate action are often the same people who fear China's ascension as a global superpower -- and ironically, because China is the other major polluter in the world and is already taking drastic steps to cut their CO2 emissions, the U.S. backing away from climate action will only elevate China's status as the *leader* in global climate action. Climate deniers who are fearful of China have just made China a much more powerful in the long run.

In other words, they have, yet again, played themselves.

Meanwhile in Trumps office:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7gP9B7jh8

Exactly. You don't know. Either that or you don't want to know. But everyone else does.

temperatures that don’t seem to be rising
Everyone can feel temperatures rising, and we've been seeing the effects for many years. Who does he think he's tricking with this? He's basically admitting he's unqualified.

At this rate Trump is going to appoint lumberjacks to lead the NPS next. We're going to feel the damage he does to this country (and the world) for the rest of our lives.

Breads

Banned
So on top of every other abhorrent thing about him he's also a climate skeptic.

How many Ls can one year hold.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is the "Let's give him a chance" meme already played out? I can't even tell. And Donny isn't even in charge yet. Geez.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I'm not giving these fucks a chance. The left needs to raise hell about this. Employ every obstructionist tactic the right used, play dirty if necessary.

Need to also threaten companies that would try to take advantage of any rollbacks of regulation.

E-Cat

I don’t know we know enough now to answer this question conclusively either way
Okay, here's an idea: don't put him in charge of fucking environmental policy !!

Protein

Banned
to1RVGP.jpg

Razmos

Trump is basically getting together the League of Evil.

Just a bunch of idiotic, bigoted, senile old fuckers who only care about money and fucking over anyone they deem as lesser. It's so blatant as well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You just have to admire how absolutely every single one of his picks has been unequivocally dreadful.

It's some borderline absurdist comedy.

NimbusD

Temperatures that don't seem to be rising... I stopped reading there and said 'fuck this man' out loud.

Fuck this man.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Why is there always a connection between being a bigoted fuckhole and a climate change denier? It's like being blind to science and scared of brown people are related, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm actually convinced Trump's entire MO is to be driven by some imagined slight/prejudice against him, and all these picks are purely spiteful against everyone else, the planet, and himself.

G.ZZZ

They have a good plan for solving global warming though. Nuclear holocaust! When almost everyone is dead it will be a breeze to grow the economy and we'll solve the CO2 emission problem.

Kill me.

-griffy-

Banned
Imagine being a scientist and having these dumb, blatantly ignorant fucks think they know better. It makes me livid and I just edit stupid videos for a living.

You know what, whatever, fuck the Democrats who didn't vote for Hillary because they weren't excited, she wasn't their ideal, etc. If you held your nose like the GOP did we wouldn't be in this mess. Thanks guys and gals. And before anyone says pick a better candidate, that's a poor answer as the GOP still voted en masse for Trump even if they didn't like him just to ensure a Republican win, something the Democrats can't do.

Razmos

They have a good plan for solving global warming though. Nuclear holocaust! When almost everyone is dead it will be a breeze to grow the economy and we'll solve the CO2 emission problem.

Kill me.
"See, the temperature actually dropped, not rose"
- Said after nuclear winter

We should allow him a chance to correct that ignorant statement from 2014 about temperatures, as we've had the two warmest years ever recorded since. 2 degrees F above the old average this year!
lol

FyreWulff

One of the issues is when a problem starts being solved, people in later years use "well, i don't see a problem" as an excuse to turn back the clock.

Back a long time ago, most cities used to be covered in smog. People often remark that in a lot of old pictures, a lot of buildings used to look darker/blacker; this was because they were literally covered in the terrible pollution. People got together and started getting saner about the environment. Slowly, but surely, a lot of cities reduced or eliminated the apparent smog completely.

And now these fucks want to throw all that hard work away and return us to that. It's the same idea as anti-vax. "We don't see it anymore, therefore we don't need the protection!"

DocSeuss

good, it's important for us to have someone who doesn't just believe everything the environment tells them

you can't just put your ear to a glacier and expect the truth

a glacier's gonna whine about stuff like 'oh man, its not fair that im not bigger, im such a small glacier, boo hoo.'

burn down the forests, melt the mountains into coke cans. just fuck me up, fam

So we have complete fucking idiots running the country.

What could go wrong?
What could go wrong is that you're talking down to these rich people who have apparently decided to fuck the world and any sense of human decency in every imaginable way. This tone is unacceptable.

You just have to admire how absolutely every single one of his picks has been unequivocally dreadful.

It's some borderline absurdist comedy.
I'll let you turn the lights off when the last animal dies, Estragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom