• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump slams San Juan mayor's "poor leadership", PR "wants everything done for them"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually seen Stein interviewed and he hates Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if that quote was fake.

Stein showed his ass a long time ago. Dude said some stupid ass shit during Ferguson, about how black men are to blame when they're shot to death by the cops. He's a racist hardcore creationist Wall Street apologist asshole. Let's not forget he used to work for Richard Nixon.

shem935

Banned
Hmmm how many people are on PR? Like 4 million? Hmm couple pallets of aid should do it- Expert on disaster relief, MBison

Chumly

where did you even find this? Let's see: hardcore Trumpist who goes on Alex Jones, uses video from Mike Cernovich to say that the ~democrats~ in Puerto Rico are intentionally withholding aid to... get votes? Yeah, I think it'll take this with a planet-sized grain of salt.
Seriously. People are dumb enough to believe this stuff?

Garlador

She stood in front of the pallets to show how meager the supplies given to her are. She’s the mayor of the largest city in PR and got sent four pallets of water, which is basically nothing.

Somehow this goes over Trump supporters heads.

Four pallets of water, nearly three million people in need of aid.

Yeah... How dare she complain it's not enough.

muu

She stood in front of the pallets to show how meager the supplies given to her are. She’s the mayor of the largest city in PR and got sent four pallets of water, which is basically nothing.

They’re used to being mislead by camera angles

ISOM

Saw this

8w87SEU.png

Is she gonna say something to his boy Kanye or is that relationship just kinda throwing your hands up in the air at?

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I just looked this up and read this:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency and its partners have distributed close to 2 million liters of water and 1 million meals throughout the island, Alejandro De La Campa, FEMA's federal coordinating officer, said during a teleconference Saturday.

De La Campa said that relief had to be air dropped or sent in via helicopter for some of the municipalities on the island, such as Utuado, Maricao and Las Marías.

"It is very difficult to get to some isolated areas," he said.

Garlador

Right. Puerto Rico has a population of nearly 3.4 million.

One million meals, lasting one single day (or, more accurately one single "meal"), doesn't even cover 1/3rd of the population scrounging for food. 1 million liters is not NEARLY enough and people are still fighting to drink out of rivers and runoff to stay alive.

That's a horrible number.

It's like clockwork

"Have we discussed this yet?

If true, Trump is right and maybe we should look at both sides of the story"

And the "this" is a link to some fake news trash

Tomorrow, the usual alt-right suspects and Russian botnets will be inundating us all with photoshopped images of like 5000 FEMA ships off the coast of PR talking about the media's lies.

Needs to be boomed from every non-complicit news agency right now as it's already started. This shit is exposed and should be pointed out every time.

Chumly

Holy fuck that really puts it in perspective on what a bad job they are doing. Half the island doesn't have running water and they have only given enough water for one day for the island??? Wow...

Same with the food. Not even enough to cover a day??

Izuna

Banned

One million meals, lasting one single day (or, more accurately one single "meal"), doesn't even cover 1/3rd of the population scrounging for food. 1 million liters is not NEARLY enough and people are still fighting to drink out of rivers and runoff to stay alive.

Is the idea that the relief should be 100% of what people eat for at least a month? Because it doesn't sound possible either way.

The whole thing is unbelievably fucked.

Lois_Lane

Is the idea that the relief should be 100% of what people eat for at least a month? Because it doesn't sound possible either way.

If we can do it for Haiti, with almost no preparation mind you, we can do it for American citizens.

Ithil

It disgusts me how everything revolves around himself and "ratings/marks/praise". It's not about helping Puerto Rico, everything is constantly about how "We have received top marks, A+ from everyone for our response, everyone loves how great our tremendous response is". Even remarks from the mayor must be all politically motivated against him personally in his mind. Everything has to be about him.

Did you ever see a president actively bragging about how great his response to a disaster was before? Rather than, you know, trying to help the people struck by said disaster?

Chumly

No but the statistics of food and water delivered are one of those that "sound" like a lot and they are trying to make the administration look good. When you dig into how many people are suffering though it's a pitiful amount.

It certainly isn't an "amazing job" that trump and his lackeys are trying to push.

Jackpot

Banned
Trump Twitter said:
We have done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico. Outside of the Fake News or politically motivated ingrates, people are now starting to recognize the amazing work that has been done by FEMA and our great Military. All buildings now inspected for safety. Thank you to the Governor of P.R. and to all of those who are working so closely with our First Responders. Fantastic job!

Emphasis mine.

Can you imagine Obama or even Bush referring to Sandy or Katrina victims respectively as "ingrates"? America seems to have really hit fast-forward on its decline.

Emphasis mine.

Can you imagine Obama or even Bush referring to Sandy or Katrina victims respectively as "ingrates"? America seems to have really hit fast-forward on its decline.

We’ve been getting closer to the edge of the cliff.

People decided to cut the breaks and go full throttle off the cliff it seems

Those of you attempting to justify Trump and downplay the situation are fucking disgusting. And learn how to goddamn find a valid source of information. Other people shouldn't have to spoon feed you doses of reality.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
We as a country need to constantly criticize Trump. It is clear that criticism is what gets under his skin the most. I'm all for making his life miserable as hell so I hope that everyone else see's this easy way to ensure his continued misery and takes advantage.

Wag

Mnuchin is on Meet the Press trying to defend the orange turd's comments. Looks like a deer in headlights.

Garlador

I honestly thought the "ingrates" comment wasn't an actual quote.

Of course it was. OF COURSE.

Okay, I want some advice. I'm Republican, from BLEEDING red Oklahoma, with every friend and family member I know there being Republican. I didn't vote for Trump because it was obvious to me from reading about him (in his own books) and listening to him (with his own words) that he was a heinous, odious, contemptible man without an ounce of conscience, decency, competence, or class. I saw him as the snake oil salesman who rode a wave of frustration and made lofty promises to rile up a hateful and fearful base ("build the wall!", "lock her up!", "Make American great again!", "I'll defeat ISIS in 30 days!", etc.)

As such, I'm done trying to be respectful and patient with my family and friends. It's enough. I've tried to calmly and logically explain my position to my mostly devout Christian family about how the man they voted for is the embodiment of pretty much every major sin and how they raised me to be the OPPOSITE of him. I've tried to explain to them the hypocrisy and injustice of his words and deeds with his own messaging and his own quotes.

I need a better plan, because... here's the thing... I grew up Republican. I voted Republican. And yet... I changed. I still believe a lot of conservative values, but I refused to put party politics over national good, and I refuse to believe the GOP is "God's party" and thus the religious vote should just be for whoever pays the higher godly lip-service.

So when people call Republicans and Trump supporters "deplorable", yes, that's true... but I was one of them once and I overcame that. I was exposed to "the enemy" and saw the "others" as more than the scary boogeymen out to take our jobs, kill our family, or rape our women. But for my family - and the GOP at LARGE - fear drives them. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, foreigners, foreign language, transgender individuals, black people, etc.

But something I've observed is that most of these people... never have held a conversation with "the other". My mother has never spoken to my bisexual, gender-fluid best friend. My aunt has never spoken with my large and scary-looking, but gentle as a lamb, black college roommate who was my groomsman in my wedding. My friends back home never spent time or went to a movie with someone like my gay former classmate.

They're in their scared bubble...

... And I'm looking for ways to burst it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I thought the few pallets of water comment was off so I looked up how much has been delivered. I do agree a lot more is needed.

Wag

Quick summary for those that can't watch?

General equivocating and obfuscating. He's now saying tax cuts will save money for the lower/middle class, will not benefit the rich. Usual bullshit. He's a real POS.

Asking him now about his private plane requests. Saying they were all approved by the WH and "justifable" Chuck Todd is really grilling him.

Will be online later I'm sure.

Okay, I want some advice. I'm Republican, from BLEEDING red Oklahoma, with every friend and family member I know there being Republican. I didn't vote for Trump because it was obvious to me from reading about him (in his own books) and listening to him (with his own words) that he was a heinous, odious, contemptible man without an ounce of conscience, decency, competence, or class. I saw him as the snake oil salesman who road a wive of frustration and made lofty promises to rile up a hateful and fearful base ("build the wall!", "lock her up!", "Make American great again!", "I'll defeat ISIS in 30 days!", etc.)

As such, I'm done trying to be respectful and patient with my family and friends. It's enough. I've tried to calmly and logically explain my position to my mostly devout Christian family about how the man they voted for is the embodiment of pretty much every major sin and how they raised me to be the OPPOSITE of him. I've tried to explain to them the hypocrisy and injustice of his words and deeds with his own messaging and his own quotes.

I need a better plan, because... here's the thing... I grew up Republican. I voted Republican. And yet... I changed. I still believe a lot of conservative values, but I refused to put party politics over national good, and I refuse to believe the GOP is "God's party" and thus the religious vote should just be for whoever pays the higher godly lip-service.

So when people call Republicans and Trump supporters "deplorable", yes, that's true... but I was one of them once and I overcame that. I was exposed to "the enemy" and saw the "others" as more than the scary boogeymen out to take our jobs. But for my family - and the GOP at LARGE - fear drives them. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, foreigners, foreign language, transgender individuals, black people, etc.

But something I've observed is that most of these people... never have held a conversation with "the other". My mother has never spoken to my bisexual, gender-fluid best friend. My aunt has never spoken with my large and scary-looking, but gentle as a lamb, black college roommate who was my groomsman in my wedding. My friends back home never spent time or went to a movie with someone like my gay former classmate.

Just speak up. Can't force people to go outside of their comfort zone, but even if it's second-hand it could make a difference.

Saganator

Wow I can't believe a president just called hurricane victims ingrates. It is Trump though so I guess I shouldn't be shocked. That's way worse than Hillary's deplorables comment

Garlador

Uh oh, looks like the Dems got to the Governor.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/914486247673954304

Will the next tweet be about this or the kneeling dolphins?

"Fake news"...

... I'm still doing some soul searching. I have a LOT of friends back in Oklahoma and Texas. I'm going to start reaching out to them, in public and private, to share my views more candidly.

Nothing will truly change unless the conversation is started. I've avoided it for far too long to avoid stepping on toes. That's inexcusable. I'm going to be more bold.

If more of us had done this in the past, we could've been in a better position to help people in need today.

"Fake news"...

... I'm still doing some soul searching. I have a LOT of friends back in Oklahoma and Texas. I'm going to start reaching out to them, in public and private, to share my views more candidly.

Nothing will truly change unless the conversation is started. I've avoided it for far too long to avoid stepping on toes. That's inexcusable. I'm going to be more bold.

If more of us had done this in the past, we could've been in a better position to help people in need today.
The Texas friends should be easier right? Imagine if Trump called them ingrates after their family members died in Houston.

So when people call Republicans and Trump supporters "deplorable", yes, that's true... but I was one of them once and I overcame that. I was exposed to "the enemy" and saw the "others" as more than the scary boogeymen out to take our jobs. But for my family - and the GOP at LARGE - fear drives them. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, foreigners, foreign language, transgender individuals, black people, etc.

Do they pretty much only watch Fox and listen to right wing radio like Mark Levin? They all foster a cage of fear and hate, and if that’s your main lens through which the world is filtered, it’s very hard to break those beliefs.

I was like you; raised in a Republican household, conservative beliefs, Fox always on, laughing at the idiot liberals who would appear on Levin’s show and try to debate with him. I had a college professor who was a hardcore liberal and introduced me to ideas like the Living Constitution; my dad and I would mock her ridiculous beliefs while commuting home

What changed for me was being in the GAF threads during the Ferguson protests, watching the live streams from reporters, hearing the anger and arguments of the protestors, seeing the police response...and then watching Fox the next day and seeing it all twisted as riots and anarchists. That was the turning point, the eye-opening “this makes no sense” moment, even more so when I tried to explain to my dad and he just dismissed any other news or possibile viewpoint

That shift towards liberal/democrat went even further once I was part of a spectrum peer group on campus and made friends with students who were transgender and bisexual and dealing with racism and other discrimination and struggles due to being on the spectrum.

So yeah, exposure is big part of it. Beyond that, I don’t know. These people seem too ingrained in their beliefs and too brainwashed to ever trust other sources beyond the ones they’ve been conditioned to believe. I asked my dad once if he’d read articles on NYT or WaPo if I sent him some, and he said no, because those aren’t real journalists, and they just lie and make up stories that don’t reflect reality

Have we talked about Angel Perez Otero's comments about the San Juan mayor just playing politics? I'm curious if people have dug into this, but I don't want to retread ground.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
We have done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico. Outside of the Fake News or politically motivated ingrates,...

Donald J. Trump
...people are now starting to recognize the amazing work that has been done by FEMA and our great Military. All buildings now inspected.....

Manu Raju @mkraju
Puerto Rico Gov Rosselló responds: "I’m not aware of such inspections." Some areas "really haven’t gotten contact."

...for safety. Thank you to the Governor of P.R. and to all of those who are working so closely with our First Responders. Fantastic job!

IR.net @IRdotnet
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
Fantastic Job to San Juan's Mayor as well!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Okay, I want some advice. I'm Republican, from BLEEDING red Oklahoma, with every friend and family member I know there being Republican. I didn't vote for Trump because it was obvious to me from reading about him (in his own books) and listening to him (with his own words) that he was a heinous, odious, contemptible man without an ounce of conscience, decency, competence, or class. I saw him as the snake oil salesman who rode a wave of frustration and made lofty promises to rile up a hateful and fearful base ("build the wall!", "lock her up!", "Make American great again!", "I'll defeat ISIS in 30 days!", etc.)

So when people call Republicans and Trump supporters "deplorable", yes, that's true... but I was one of them once and I overcame that. I was exposed to "the enemy" and saw the "others" as more than the scary boogeymen out to take our jobs, kill our family, or rape our women. But for my family - and the GOP at LARGE - fear drives them. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, foreigners, foreign language, transgender individuals, black people, etc.

Get them to watch the Romney speech where he very articlulately calls Trump a phony.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Have we talked about Angel Perez Otero's comments about the San Juan mayor just playing politics? I'm curious if people have dug into this, but I don't want to retread ground.

I've only seen his comments in something called "The Washington Examiner" and then mentioned again at Town hall.com. Both seem to be conservative sites. The latter seems like utter trash, the former slightly less so. Couldn't find anyone else reporting on Otero's comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom