• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump slams San Juan mayor's "poor leadership", PR "wants everything done for them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahoona

He should slow down, that sounds like an impossibly stressful day for him.

The optics of the photo of him handing out the trophy are going to be disastrous for him...how does anybody in his administration think it's a good idea for him to show up to this thing after his comments yesterday?

pompidu

I honestly thought the "ingrates" comment wasn't an actual quote.

Of course it was. OF COURSE.

Okay, I want some advice. I'm Republican, from BLEEDING red Oklahoma, with every friend and family member I know there being Republican. I didn't vote for Trump because it was obvious to me from reading about him (in his own books) and listening to him (with his own words) that he was a heinous, odious, contemptible man without an ounce of conscience, decency, competence, or class. I saw him as the snake oil salesman who rode a wave of frustration and made lofty promises to rile up a hateful and fearful base ("build the wall!", "lock her up!", "Make American great again!", "I'll defeat ISIS in 30 days!", etc.)

As such, I'm done trying to be respectful and patient with my family and friends. It's enough. I've tried to calmly and logically explain my position to my mostly devout Christian family about how the man they voted for is the embodiment of pretty much every major sin and how they raised me to be the OPPOSITE of him. I've tried to explain to them the hypocrisy and injustice of his words and deeds with his own messaging and his own quotes.

I need a better plan, because... here's the thing... I grew up Republican. I voted Republican. And yet... I changed. I still believe a lot of conservative values, but I refused to put party politics over national good, and I refuse to believe the GOP is "God's party" and thus the religious vote should just be for whoever pays the higher godly lip-service.

So when people call Republicans and Trump supporters "deplorable", yes, that's true... but I was one of them once and I overcame that. I was exposed to "the enemy" and saw the "others" as more than the scary boogeymen out to take our jobs, kill our family, or rape our women. But for my family - and the GOP at LARGE - fear drives them. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, foreigners, foreign language, transgender individuals, black people, etc.

But something I've observed is that most of these people... never have held a conversation with "the other". My mother has never spoken to my bisexual, gender-fluid best friend. My aunt has never spoken with my large and scary-looking, but gentle as a lamb, black college roommate who was my groomsman in my wedding. My friends back home never spent time or went to a movie with someone like my gay former classmate.

They're in their scared bubble...

... And I'm looking for ways to burst it.

Glad you were able to get away from all that nonsense. Not being a sheep to a political party that cares zero for you is very liberating.

kevin1025

Banned
The optics of the photo of him handing out the trophy are going to be disastrous for him...how does anybody in his administration think it's a good idea for him to show up to this thing after his comments yesterday?

I can’t wait for the photo and the video. It’s going to be used for years and years.

Have we talked about Angel Perez Otero's comments about the San Juan mayor just playing politics? I'm curious if people have dug into this, but I don't want to retread ground.

Let's just ignore the mayor entirely. Let's run through this as objectively as possible.

It's day 12:

95% without power
55% without running water (this number has gone up since the last update, not down)
10% cell phone coverage

People are still lining up four hours for gas, pulling up on the side of the road to get water out of some tube, washing clothes in a creek. I saw a video of a town 1 hour outside of San Juan which FEMA people only showed up to on day 9 and that was for assessment purposes.

Just this morning Trump claims ALL BUILDINGS INSPECTED GOOD JOB. The Governor then says that's a lie, some areas haven't even been reached yet. Oh yeah, he's at his golf resort during all of this too.

What part of this is difficult? Where is the gray confusing area that is causing all these perplexed opinions?

ISOM

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
We have done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico. Outside of the Fake News or politically motivated ingrates,...

Donald J. Trump
...people are now starting to recognize the amazing work that has been done by FEMA and our great Military. All buildings now inspected.....

Manu Raju @mkraju
Puerto Rico Gov Rosselló responds: "I’m not aware of such inspections." Some areas "really haven’t gotten contact."

...for safety. Thank you to the Governor of P.R. and to all of those who are working so closely with our First Responders. Fantastic job!

IR.net @IRdotnet
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
Fantastic Job to San Juan's Mayor as well!

He really talks like he's some fascist dictator.

geomon

I've only seen his comments in something called "The Washington Examiner" and then mentioned again at Town hall.com. Both seem to be conservative sites. The latter seems like utter trash, the former slightly less so. Couldn't find anyone else reporting on Otero's comments.

Yup, anything out of the Washington Examiner or Townhall.com or TheRedPill.com are utterly meaningless. These are the same people that said the governor praised Trump but if you saw the video, he goes on to say the federal response was severely lacking.

These simply are not reputable sources.

tbm24

Let's just ignore the mayor entirely. Let's run through this as objectively as possible.

It's day 12:

95% without power
55% without running water (this number has gone up since the last update, not down)
10% cell phone coverage

People are still lining up four hours for gas, pulling up on the side of the road to get water out of some tube, washing clothes in a creek. I saw a video of a town 1 hour outside of San Juan which FEMA people only showed up to on day 9 and that was for assessment purposes.

Just this morning Trump claims ALL BUILDINGS INSPECTED GOOD JOB. The Governor then says that's a lie, some areas haven't even been reached yet. Oh yeah, he's at his golf resort during all of this too.

What part of this is difficult? Where is the gray confusing area that is causing all these perplexed opinions?
Trump can’t handle criticism from anyone. Even a mayor of a disaster city. Trumps turned everything Into poltical games. So people bend over backwards to justify that view.

It's like people are so internally ashamed of what an unqualified mess we CHOSE to lead us that they have to distort their own reality to cope. Those people aren't really suffering, it's all just a joke, it's all just political games, it's all good. When he was just acting like an idiot on the campaign it was all fun and games but now lives are on the line and some can't bear to confront that reality.

I don't think they have ever picked up the fallen trees here in Orlando. The huge branch outside my window is still there and last week in Curry Ford saw the curb stacked up with trees

It's also pretty disappointing to see someone like Brock Long, a career public official, going on TV saying look at all the progress we made and saying things like this:

On Fox FEMA Administrator Brock Long says hurricane relief for Puerto Rico is “the most logistically challenging event the US has ever seen”

What kind of statement even is that? We landed an entire army onto the beaches of Normandy 80 years ago.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So, he's called non-white hurricane victims 'ingrates' and he's undermined his SoS by saying that negotiations with "little rocket man" are pointless. All on Twitter, like a dumb old racist grandpa.

What a wonderful Sunday morning in America.

jstripes

Banned
What kind of statement even is that? We landed an entire army onto the beaches of Normandy 80 years ago.
Well, you see, back then you had competent leaders, a government that was fully staffed, and experts were where they should be. Of course it's going to be a challenge when you have a barely-staffed clown show going on.

npm0925

It goes without saying that this will play well with Trump’s base, but also with, I feel, the majority of Americans. The citizens of this country have become so beat down by the 1% and so accustomed to eating shit that they will rage against what they perceive to be preferential treatment or entitlement, which in reality is others standing up and refusing to eat shit. See the NFL protests as another example.

tbm24

It goes without saying that this will play well with Trump’s base, but also with, I feel, the majority of Americans. The citizens of this country have become so beat down by the 1% and so accustomed to eating shit that they will rage against what they perceive to be preferential treatment or entitlement, which in reality is others standing up and refusing to eat shit. See the NFL protests as another example.

It won’t play well with the majority of Americans. They just simply won’t care because Puerto Rico is not a state and with many brown citizens.

I've only seen his comments in something called "The Washington Examiner" and then mentioned again at Town hall.com. Both seem to be conservative sites. The latter seems like utter trash, the former slightly less so. Couldn't find anyone else reporting on Otero's comments.
That's what I have seen as well. It's taken me aback a bit. Of course, I don't want to over-invest in a single news source, so I'm looking for more information to help me gauge the situation.

It's day 12:

95% without power
10% cell phone coverage

It took more than a week for Central Florida to get power back, and it was only a category 2 hurricane here. All of that is definitely bad, though. I'm just looking to understand the situation instead of the being outraged at my computer.

It's also pretty disappointing to see someone like Brock Long, a career public official, going on TV saying look at all the progress we made and saying things like this:

We didn't just land an Army we completely built the busiest port in the world in 3 days. This involved floating massive concrete casons across the english channel to use as breakwaters and building 1/2 mile long floating highways.

1024px-The_Mulberry_artificial_harbour_off_Arromanches_in_Normandy%2C_September_1944._BU1024.jpg

MulberryB_-_Piers.jpg

And of course, there way that time we planted a flag on the godamned moon.

We have done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico. Outside of the Fake News or politically motivated ingrates,...

Donald J. Trump
...people are now starting to recognize the amazing work that has been done by FEMA and our great Military. All buildings now inspected.....

Manu Raju @mkraju
Puerto Rico Gov Rosselló responds: "I'm not aware of such inspections." Some areas "really haven't gotten contact."

...for safety. Thank you to the Governor of P.R. and to all of those who are working so closely with our First Responders. Fantastic job!

IR.net @IRdotnet
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
Fantastic Job to San Juan's Mayor as well!

Are these real? He's still trying to downplay a national tragedy and insulting people for not receiving imaginary aid?

FStubbs

Optics don't affect Trump or the GOP. The message of hate is what is important for them.

FStubbs

It's like people are so internally ashamed of what an unqualified mess we CHOSE to lead us that they have to distort their own reality to cope. Those people aren't really suffering, it's all just a joke, it's all just political games, it's all good. When he was just acting like an idiot on the campaign it was all fun and games but now lives are on the line and some can't bear to confront that reality.

Just like how Sandy Hook was a false flag operation. Isn't that a Tea Party tenet?

Ogodei

It's not that they can't bear to confront the reality of what they did, it's that they don't give a damn about anything but whatever pet reason they voted for Trump (abortions, anti-LGBT, taxes, blue lives matter, the wall, nazism), but most of them realize that saying it out loud is going to get them ostracized, so they have to dissemble.

That or those who see the whole thing as a game, that as long as the GOP looks good and liberals look bad, then whatever you're saying is valid.

I see that Trump's strategy is to cover up his poor response to PR with a nuclear war with Korea

2xkkvJg.gif
And people love him for statements like this. “Some people only understand violence. Sometimes violence is the only answer”, my dad likes to say whenever North Korea comes up

I see that Trump's strategy is to cover up his poor response to PR with a nuclear war with Korea

2xkkvJg.gif
What an undermining pos

If he was my boss I would’ve been left....

All that hard work for him to throw him under the bus publicly like that

Do these Trump supporter idiots really want a leader like that? It’s like they never had a job with healthy and competent management

NPR had the PR representative to congress and yep she's a total piece of shit she kept deflecting what Trump tweeted and kept trying to pin it all on the mayor. Guess what party she belongs too. I hope Puerto Rican's votes every scumbag Republican out as soon as they have a chance.

Window

2xkkvJg.gif
I know I shouldn't be surprised but....What the hell. What's even the point of diplomatic peacekeeping if your head of state dismisses the possibility so brazenly? It's just a matter of going through the motions for everybody else now.

This would all be funny if it wasn't actually real, I think America has a hard time coming back from this cunt. The divisions in the country are only going to widen and its all because of him. It's mental.

And people love him for statements like this. “Some people only understand violence. Sometimes violence is the only answer”, my dad likes to say whenever North Korea comes up

On a similar issue, I said to my dad "only a monumental pussy wants to send other people to die for his pet issue". For once he shut up for a while.

ISOM

Apparently puerto ricans arent americans now.

Well it's nice to know how they feel about me and my family.

Don't worry. He would have called any blue state that needed help ingrates as well. He doesn't care about anyone who isn't a supporter, white and a Republican.

FStubbs

This would all be funny if it wasn't actually real, I think America has a hard time coming back from this cunt. The divisions in the country are only going to widen and its all because of him. It's mental.

He's doing his part, alongside Fox news and the other members of the Hate Industry.

joe2187

Banned
Don't worry. He would have called any blue state that needed help ingrates as well. He doesn't care about anyone who isn't a supporter, white and a Republican.

Half of Americans didnt even know Puerto Rico was a part of the US.

I wonder how many of that percentage voted for Trump.

Trump is just continuing Americas past efforts to sterilize and ethnically cleanse Puerto Rico like they wanted to do in the 50s and 60s.

Probably wont promise rebuilding funds unless they let him make a Trump Tower.

That's pretty much the basis for "fake news" and the like in general. Some can't accept they elected a buffon into office and dismiss any and all dissenting stories as false. It's pathetic.

Allowing this Neanderthal to continue being president isn't how we save our democracy he needs to go he is unfit and if he is allowed to stay it undermines everything this country was built on.

RPGCrazied

Love to see Rex just call it quits. We've already had this many firing/resigns. Its not going to stop anytime soon.

FStubbs

Love to see Rex just call it quits. We've already had this many firing/resigns. Its not going to stop anytime soon.

I wouldn't. Sadly, he's corrupt and Russia-focused, but at least he's trying. That makes him better than most in the Trump administration.

Kimawolf

If Rexc leaves you get the nut job John Bolton most likely. The guy who believes America should bomb and destroy everything and start trade wars etc.

If Rexc leaves you get the nut job John Bolton most likely. The guy who believes America should bomb and destroy everything and start trade wars etc.

No we won't Kelly has already blocked him from contacting Trump with his batshit agenda ideas he said so himself it's why he had to write an op ed recent in hopes Trump would read it. No one from the Bush administration and the cluster fuck that was Iraq is making their way back to the WH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom