• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump vs. Clinton debate most watched in Nielsen history

Status
Not open for further replies.
84 million viewers

The contentious first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump lived up to its big ratings expectations with an estimated average TV viewership that will top the previous record of 80.6 million.

The total average audience for Monday’s matchup for the ad-supported broadcast and cable networks as well as PBS came in around at 84 million, according to Nielsen numbers.

Monday’s faceoff tops the previous record for a presidential debate set when Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan clashed on Oct. 28, 1980. It was their only meeting of that year’s presidential campaign, which occurred in an era when U.S. households had only a handful of channels to choose from.

The total across broadcast and cable networks measured by Nielsen for the Clinton-Trump debate does not include viewers who watched the debate through various video streams available online. Streaming likely cut into the TV audience number as younger viewers have turned to digital devices to watch programs and live events since the 2012 presidential debates, the highest of which averaged 67.2 million viewers.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...et-ct-debate-ratings-20160927-snap-story.html

Camp Lo

Banned
It was one of the most ridiculous debate I've ever seen.

I hope they show the next one in theaters like Playstation E3 conferences.

I wonder how much of this growth in viewership is because of an increase in this info all over the internet, so that it reaches a wider audience and therefore more people are interested in tuning in, or if it was just because of the nature of the two candidates.

I wouldnt say anything bad about hillary around here. Never ends well.

Plenty of people have spoken eloquently on hillarys negative aspects without being vilified. People are tired of the drive by, intellectually lazy narrative of false equivalence that is obvious to anyone who has paid remotely close attention whether they are supporting Hillary or Trump.

Elandyll

Banned
It's the first debate that featured what was essentially cartoon characters who were ready to throw pies at each other.
That was more like a debate akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, with a real human on one end (Clinton, rational and composed), and a crazy evil toon on the other that is only pretending to be human (Trump).

maxresdefault.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So at least more than a 100 million. That's actually really good for American politic awareness.

It's the first debate that featured what was essentially cartoon characters who were ready to throw pies at each other.

I keep seeing this shit all over Facebook and Reddit.

V6PrmPV.jpg

Like... what? How can you even compare the two? One of them showed up and acted like a professional/adult, and the other acted like a schoolyard bully who could hardly conjure up a single rational sentence. This sentiment of both of them being equally awful is just baffling.

Wilsongt

Almost as bad as "neither candidate won and thr American people lost last night".

This revisionist history that Clinton is some diabolical shrew witch is fascinating and watch and see the justification for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom