• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump vs. Clinton debate most watched in Nielsen history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Good. Maybe some swinger voters saw Trump's performance with the lack of stamina and energy from the first third of the debate going forward and make a decision accordingly. That if the the non sequitur answers, the senseless ramblings that if trimmed of the fat show the complete lack of understanding of what he is talking about, and the "not true" shouts without offering a proper counter (not counting "call Hannity! He knows the truth." as a proper counter argument.) didn't already do it for them.

Like... what? How can you even compare the two? One of them showed up and acted like a professional/adult, and the other acted like a schoolyard bully who could hardly conjure up a single rational sentence. This sentiment of both of them being equally awful is just baffling.

Well, people who are going to vote for Trump have to justify it somehow. You can't just say "I'm going to vote for the guy who is clearly completely underqualified and vastly inferior to his opponent when it comes to understanding policy or the duties of the job." There is nothing Hillary can do to convince these people. But they're not the ones who matter; there are ardent supporters on the left who would likewise never be swayed by a legitimate conservative candidate. What matters is the independents and undecideds. They aren't frothing at the mouth or making memes in support of their guy, so you won't see them blowing up your Facebook feed. But come November, they'll have more impact than the lunatic "both sides are the same!" fringe.

Skatterd

I keep seeing this shit all over Facebook and Reddit.

V6PrmPV.jpg

Like... what? How can you even compare the two? One of them showed up and acted like a professional/adult, and the other acted like a schoolyard bully who could hardly conjure up a single rational sentence. This sentiment of both of them being equally awful is just baffling.

But she's a woman though. She smiled too much
/s

USC-fan

Banned
Says who?

Why would people tune out to the most hyped debate ever once Trump was already in off the rails mode? Unless there are actual stats that show numbers going down I don't buy it. Did some people start tuning out because it got later or short attention spans? Sure. Did most? Hell no, each side wanted to watch their champion and the rest wanted to see the circus.
At that point it was almost 10pm on east coast. People go to bed or try to get kids asleep. That would be my guess. The guy didn't go it detail why the peak viewer is in the beginning.

ChrisD

Can you perhaps be specific? I don't really recall a point where Hillary was shouting at Trump. For the most part, it was him interrupting her, but she either continued on, or talked around his comments. The only point I can recall something like this happening was when she said 'No, I'm right' once or twice, but I don't recall exactly what the remark was about.

Okay, but I'm not sure what you meant with your reference to the primaries. I don't get what you were saying there.

I don't remember the exact point, or what the topic was at the time. It was the first talking over one another match initiated by Trump that I'm talking about. It was like the one place where she raised her voice to try and meet his. The rest of the times it was difficult for me to hear what she was saying because her voice wasn't raised and Trump was progressively louder I swear.

People kept using the line "Trump won the primaries, but he'll never fly in the General," for months. What I'm getting at is that he may still pull away from this General election with more votes than what that crowd expects him to, based off of the comment.

I've been anti-Trump almost since the beginning, and have been pretty lukewarm about Hillary, but after watching last night I don't even see how they're a comparison anymore. Trump still coming in with low-blows and immature antics; answering questions with anecdotes and hyperbolic answers, while Hillary actually answers them with facts. This shouldn't be a fucking race anymore, it's pathetic. We're pathetic as a nation for the very fact that this is a race.

No matter the outcome, I eagerly await the debut of the texts released years after this election analyzing everything that happened from beginning to end. It's gonna be too juicy to pass up.

joebruin

Has anyone called Sean Hannity yet? Anyone?!

::Crickets chirping::

Hillary was beside herself when Trump said he has the best temperament. Dat shimmy. It's probably being spun as her having a seizure.

ChrisD

Has anyone called Sean Hannity yet? Anyone?!

::Crickets chirping::

Hillary was beside herself when Trump said he has the best temperament. Dat shimmy. It's probably being spun as her having a seizure.

I'm assuming the last bit is you in the loop, and making a joke about the videos out there. But if not: you're absolutely right, there was a Youtube video shared in the debate thread last night that showed Hillary "having a seizure" when she shook her shoulders with the, "Okay!"

Yeah.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Clinton is probably the most qualified presidential candidate in modern history.
I don't understand why some don't think this.

Even Reagan was gov before becoming President.

What has Trump done as far as politics?

Mesoian

dankir

I'm interested to know if the Monday Night football suffered a ratings dip as a result. Was Drumpf saying having it during a football game be a bad idea?

Instead his meltdown was viewed by the most people ever. Glorious!

Toxi

Banned
Honestly, there were more than a few moments where it felt like Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny up there.
I'd say it was more like Bugs and Daffy, with Lester Holt playing the role of poor Elmer Fudd.

Trump at several points might as well have said "Duck season! FIRE!"

people were pretty excited for Trump in our office, most thought he was hilarious and provided good entertainment. Clinton was a snoozefest..

I'm interested to know if the Monday Night football suffered a ratings dip as a result. Was Drumpf saying having it during a football game be a bad idea?

Instead his meltdown was viewed by the most people ever. Glorious!

Saints vs. Falcons. Really, I don't think it matters.

JZA

I was Bernie all the way until last night. I found a strange pleasure in watching Clinton make Trump squirm, and I'm finding myself now kind of willing to vote for her just to stick it to Trump even more.

No Love

Banned
I keep seeing this shit all over Facebook and Reddit.

V6PrmPV.jpg

It's what idiots that are secretly Trump supporters say to seem like they're "fair." I saw one of these same idiots write that and then put "#trumptrain" afterwards. Lol.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I've blasted Hillary quite a bit. I think she's a despicable politician who agglutinates all that is wrong with mainstream American progressives and radical centrism.

I intend to keep criticising her whenever I feel like it.

This notion of Hillary being a sacred entity in here is weird and not sustained on facts. Those who get banned/poo-pooed upon after criticising her usually engage in offences such as shitposting, insulting, disingenuous responses, thread whining or displaying just plainly unacceptable views such as racism or homophobia, which are plenty amongst the rivaling side.
Oh i feel ya, if it's not a drive by shitpost i see no reason to have the same reaction. Cartoons come in different forms though, so i dont see anything wrong with what he said. It was just a joke.

With the way people were replying at first they were immediately assuming it was mud slinging at Hillary vs just a plain old bad joke. Regardless I'm not going to win this one so I'll just drop it and expect it to be quoted page after page. The curse.

The joke would have worked a little better if you made this comparison

220px-Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg

(though even with that the comparison would stumble because Trump's stupidity didn't backfire on Hillary)

This is false. This is HilGaf. The anti defamation of Hilary is in full effect here.

Everyone should be anti-defamation; defamation is, by definition, false statements meant to damage someone's reputation. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Hillary Clinton. But, yeah, we're opposed to blatant lies.

This is false. This is HilGaf. The anti defamation of Hilary is in full effect here.

Voting for Hillary. I know she has repeatedly lied about many things. Her email scandal is shady, and embarrassing at best. The Clinton Foundation fuckery shows even more shadiness. She voted for the Iraq War. She has trouble coming off as relatable, because she's been rich and a politician for so long, and acts like it — apparently she is very impressive and sincere behind closed doors, but she often comes off as stiff and overly-rehearsed in public. There's more that I know I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but it doesn't matter; the point is that there's plenty of things to dislike about her as a presidential candidate, but even so, the choice isn't even fucking close. Trump is a walking, talking disaster of a candidate. Last night's debate pointed out that he's all show and no go — when pressed for actual policy details he flounders because he has no idea what he's talking about when he isn't spouting off his trademark "bombastic but light on detail" comments. Hillary is a textbook politician, but despite what Fox News would have you believe, at least she is competent.

Most of HillGAF likely agrees with me on the points above. She has been roundly criticized on this forum for her faults. Sadly many online Trump supporters can't seem to tell the difference between criticism and outright lies, conspiracy fucknuttery, and stupid bigoted comments that belong in 4chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom