• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump vs. Clinton debate most watched in Nielsen history

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

The impotency of the GOP to stop a giant orange bag of hot air is laughable.
Glad that many people got a glimpse of Donald behind the veneer he puts up.

reKon

Banned
Plenty of people have spoken eloquently on hillarys negative aspects without being vilified. People are tired of the drive by, intellectually lazy narrative of false equivalence that is obvious to anyone who has paid remotely close attention whether they are supporting Hillary or Trump.

What if ironically Trumo is responsible for "reviving" American democracy in a way. He scares a ton of people out of apathy and they get involved. Voter turnout is super high. People remember to vote in the midterms because "Never forget, Donald Trump." Would be amazing lol

USC-fan

Banned
Really like to see the peak and how bad was the fall off.

Guy on MSNBC made a great point that trump was the strongest for the first 39mins and that when most of the people were watching.

studyguy

She laid out a lot of bait, most of which Trump ate right up. It was absolutely glorious. Anyone on the fence (who are these idiots) hopefully got to see just how bad Trump is.

CNN had a room of undecided voters and polled them afterwards. The number of undecided voters was still pretty depressing. Either way you fall, being unsure after that performance is hard to wrap your head around.

She laid out a lot of bait, most of which Trump ate right up. It was absolutely glorious. Anyone on the fence (who are these idiots?!) hopefully got to see just how bad Trump is.
At this point it'll do little good for those who have made up their minds. Even those who haven't made up their minds by now I fear will just end up voting for him for one reason or another.

People have become so intellectually lazy by putting Trump and Clinton as being 2 in the same when it comes to maturity and depth of knowledge.

Donald Trump thrives in mud fights and name calling. Clinton clearly does not.

Guy on MSNBC made a great point that trump was the strongest for the first 39mins and that when most of the people were watching.
He might have been at his strongest, but he still looked like a fool.

Says who?

Why would people tune out to the most hyped debate ever once Trump was already in off the rails mode? Unless there are actual stats that show numbers going down I don't buy it. Did some people start tuning out because it got later or short attention spans? Sure. Did most? Hell no, each side wanted to watch their champion and the rest wanted to see the circus.

sazzy

81 million people saw toss
word
salad and play his with his imaginary
penis
accordian

Standing at the lectern, interrupting and shouting, playing the invisible accordion with his open hands, filibustering, tossing his word salads — jobs and terrorism and Nafta and China and everything is terrible — Mr. Trump said a lot. But as the debate wore on, he struggled to contend with an opponent who was much more poised and prepared than any of the Republicans he faced in the primaries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/opinion/an-ugly-campaign-90-minute-version.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

ChrisD

If they just didn't get into that shouting (raised voice, not actual shouting) match for what felt like a minute, or have the multiple moments where they were talking over each other for five seconds, OR if that moderator actually tried keeping anyone in line and didn't just let things go (Trump used this "advantage" a lot more, but Hillary also did it a few times), I feel even more points would have gone to Hillary. She pressed the right buttons to get Trump out of his actually calm and collected demeanor that he came on with, but then got tangled up in a few things that I wonder if she wanted to get caught up in.

She debated far above him in my mind, but I'm not going to be shocked if Trump still ends up getting a large number of votes from this. I know, "primaries are different," but I'm just saying.. if things aren't a total lopside like GAF seems to expect, it shouldn't actually shock anyone.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He was certainly his loudest and most annoying during that timeframe, which I guess equates with "strong" for some people.

But it actually looks like even his biggest fans had a reality check after last night:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/9/27/13074158/trump-alt-right-rough-debate

Writing a public apology to gaf as we speak for not thinking about the importance of a bad pie joke.
Those first few replies are like gold, Admiral. One doesn't simply squander an early response in a GAF thread.

If they just didn't get into that shouting (raised voice, not actual shouting) match for what felt like a minute, or have the multiple moments where they were talking over each other for five seconds, OR if that moderator actually tried keeping anyone in line and didn't just let things go (Trump used this "advantage" a lot more, but Hillary also did it a few times), I feel even more points would have gone to Hillary. She pressed the right buttons to get Trump out of his actually calm and collected demeanor that he came on with, but then got tangled up in a few things that I wonder if she wanted to get caught up in.

Care to be specific here? Clinton did a good job of not getting tangled up in bait Trump dropped, I thought. She was pretty in control of the situation and conversation. Her e-mail answer, for instant, was quick and short and to the point, didn't dwell or go into a lot of rhetoric, and it was quickly forgotten and passed over despite Trump clearly trying to make it a bigger talking point.

She debated far above him in my mind, but I'm not going to be shocked if Trump still ends up getting a large number of votes from this. I know, "primaries are different," but I'm just saying.. if things aren't a total lopside like GAF seems to expect, it shouldn't actually shock anyone.

Huh? I didn't get the equation.

I don't recall Hillary getting into any shouting matches with Trump at all. The only one yelling in the room was Trump.

Future

You don't give her enough credit. Trump made the best candidates Repubs could find look like chumps, Hillary didn't fall for his nonsense.

It is true. Other opponents collapsed like a house of cards. Clinton stood her ground and appeared much more intelligent and experienced

or is that TOO experienced?

ChrisD

Care to be specific here? Clinton did a good job of not getting tangled up in bait Trump dropped, I thought. She was pretty in control of the situation and conversation. Her e-mail answer, for instant, was quick and short and to the point, didn't dwell or go into a lot of rhetoric, and it was quickly forgotten and passed over despite Trump clearly trying to make it a bigger talking point.

Huh? I didn't get the equation.

The two things I brought up in the same paragraph - "shouting" match early on, and the four or five times where they were both talking over each other no matter the turn - seemed to be the stuff I'll soon be seeing posted on FB showing how "unfit" or whatever the current popular word is that she is. Let's ignore the fact Trump was worse in this regard, I know that. But those fighting for "their" candidate are kind of blind to simple things. :|

I was just saying that it shouldn't shock anyone if Trump gets some votes from this. People may be getting their expectations too high with how much Clinton crushed it. Hopefully not! But this is the Trump v Clinton election, nothing makes sense anymore lol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wouldnt say anything bad about hillary around here. Never ends well.
I've blasted Hillary quite a bit. I think she's a despicable politician who agglutinates all that is wrong with mainstream American progressives and radical centrism.

I intend to keep criticising her whenever I feel like it.

This notion of Hillary being a sacred entity in here is weird and not sustained on facts. Those who get banned/poo-pooed upon after criticising her usually engage in offences such as shitposting, insulting, disingenuous responses, thread whining or displaying just plainly unacceptable views such as racism or homophobia, which are plenty amongst the rivaling side.

He was louder.

Also he wins by virtue of not being worse than his usual self. Which he wasn't until the end. Normal levels of inanity that were the first 40 minutes means he won.

Really low fucking bar for him to "win".

He wasn't really louder during that time frame, though. He was pretty subdued for the first 1/3 of the debate honestly. I also wouldn't say he 'became' his usual self until the end. The facade came and went halfway through, especially when he started getting pressed about Iraq and the racial stuff. To his credit, he did manage to reel it in during those times until the very end, but Trump as usual was there before the end in spurts.

But really, I don't think, even with the low bar expectations, one could call that first half hour or so a real win for him. He was more subdued than usual, but he still did his weird little faces, you could see that he was flustered with trying to explain himself on a extended time frame, and he stumbled a lot in babbling and indirect insults. He was subdued, but it was pretty obvious his real self was there, too.

ChrisD

I don't recall Hillary getting into any shouting matches with Trump at all. The only one yelling in the room was Trump.

Early on, the raised voices talking over each other. The first one that kicked off the kerfuffles. Shouting isn't the best descriptor, but it wasn't a talking voice. Hence the quotation marks in my next post, and the explaining what I mean with shouting in my first.

(can't Copy/Paste with Vita browser to add quote into an edit, hope this doesn't make me have a double post)

The two things I brought up in the same paragraph - "shouting" match early on, and the four or five times where they were both talking over each other no matter the turn - seemed to be the stuff I'll soon be seeing posted on FB showing how "unfit" or whatever the current popular word is that she is. Let's ignore the fact Trump was worse in this regard, I know that. But those fighting for "their" candidate are kind of blind to simple things. :|

Can you perhaps be specific? I don't really recall a point where Hillary was shouting at Trump. For the most part, it was him interrupting her, but she either continued on, or talked around his comments. The only point I can recall something like this happening was when she said 'No, I'm right' once or twice, but I don't recall exactly what the remark was about.

I was just saying that it shouldn't shock anyone if Trump gets some votes from this. People may be getting their expectations too high with how much Clinton crushed it. Hopefully not! But this is the Trump v Clinton election, nothing makes sense anymore lol.

Okay, but I'm not sure what you meant with your reference to the primaries. I don't get what you were saying there.

Boney

Banned
You don't give her enough credit. Trump made the best candidates Repubs could find look like chumps, Hillary didn't fall for his nonsense, and used it against him.
After stepping all over Jeb , the presumptive nominee, by completely assassinating his character and humiliating him on stage just like a jock would do to a nerd in a terrible high school movie he had the nomination in the bag. All of the other people were nobodies that just wanted their name out there for a bit to keep other smaller political office jobs. Cruz was the only one chomping at his ankles and it was fucking Cruz, the biggest sly dipshit on the planet. There was no actual debating in the GOP primaries since it all became cartoon hipotheticals about terrorism attacks and any other racist remark to get people's attention.

I assure you if the presumptive nominee wouldn't have been Jeb and instead somebody like Romney he would've been schooled on the first night and would have had to bow out after the first debate.

The only credit I'll give to trump is that he can land headlines as the most crass entertainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom