• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will skip Monday's Fox News debate: "I think it's enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

It looks like there were 20 debates in 2012 and 21 in 2008.

I agree that we should just about be done this season though. I think it it would be interesting to see just one more debate if it came down to one on one though. There is no reason to have this next debate with just Cruz and Kasich. That's just laughable.

You are about to see Kasich go full blown negative no matter what he says btw. He already set the stage yesterday during the day, and now that he is the last establishment candidate standing he will start to get a bit of money and endorsements behind him, and they will pretty much force him to hit Trump hard. He flat out said he would have a lot more to say about Trump now, so it's coming.

Z_Y

Par for the course, really.

Exactly. He never actually answers any questions anyway.

wow i feel like I just experienced the whole debate already. here let me flesh it out

Cruz, AKA "The Penguin", in his most duckiest keanu reeves serious actor face: "The ayatollah khomeini wants to destroy america. And I have vowed that on day one of my term in office, I will not only repeal and replace Obamacare (awkwardly wait for applause and then nod and continue), but I will rip up the disastrous Iran nuclear deal that Obama has put into place. We need to take seriously the threat that the ayatollah khomeini poses to America on day one. I will meet with NATO and talk about dealing with Iran, and how to deal with ISIS, and tell Putin the Eagle of Freedom has finally landed again. (wait for applause smiling desperately)

Kasich: "Whoa, hold on a second. We can't keep acting like our actions don't have repercussions! We can't just go and start a fight with Putin, we need to work with them in the future, and lead by example. As President, I'll tell Putin, "Don't mess with us, we are America.". And guess, what, I did it in Ohio."

This is beautiful.

massoluk

Banned
I actually agree with this. This is Kaisich's one chance to get more clout than Cruz and become king of the (republican) north.

I see where this is going Kasich becoming King of The North, brutally defeated by treacherous billionaire Lannister at some lavish gathering, who subsequently get defeated by the returning Queen

Nipo

Isn't Kasich pretty alright? I haven't heard much of him but my friends very left leaning father is supporting him.

No. No he isn't. He is as crazy as the other republicans he is just putting on a better facade. He is the scariest candidate in my opinion since unlike Trump or Cruz he actually has a chance of beating Clinton.

To be fair, the number of debates was indeed ridiculously high and it is transparent what purpose they are attempting to serve.

True, but I get the impression the majority of those watching the debates aren't actually the ones voting for him. It's either opposing supporters who want to get a feel for what their candidate is up against, or it's the undecided who need a little push or shove into one camp. I know that I would be disappointed and think less of candidates I support if they were to skip a debate because "there's been enough".

So why exactly is AIPAC so important, Trump? I thought you were supposed to be independent from political and financial influences...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has this skipping debates shit ever happened in previous elections?

spinz

Sound strategy by trump. His supporters love the fox-unrest angle. And they can hardly sell a debate without him. Its maybe a chance for kasich to shine but probably not: the more conservatives hear kasich the more they will see his left leaning politics. And the more anyone hears cruz, the more they wish he'd stop talking.

SaganIsGOAT

"I think it's enough"

It's really not Donald, we have no clue on your policies still.

And people are voting for him without knowing what he really stands for. "BUT HE SPEAKS WHATS ON HIS MIND!" My head rolled off my neck when I found out my parents are voting for him. Both have genius IQs yet somehow they support Trump. It really bothers me.

notworksafe

He's not wrong. Too many goddamn debates. Just cancel this one. No one wants to watch Grandpa Munster vs The Most Boring Man in the World

cDNA

Maybe Cruz will bail out too, his camp is pushing hard the idea that there are only two viable candidate Trump and Cruz. Why bother debate with Kasich if he thinks is not viable even in a brokered convention.

Future

God trump is a fucking genius

This plays on the whole "not a politician" angle even more. Why go up there like a good little politician. Anti establishment. Is having that debate gonna make American great? Fuck no.

Fuck, he's gonna be president

JohnsonUT

I imagine fox will still show a hit piece or two on Trump and then have Cruz and Kasich respond with how they will be better.

Maybe Cruz will bail out too, his camp is pushing hard the idea that there are only two viable candidate Trump and Cruz. Why bother debate with Kasich if he thinks is not viable even in a brokered convention.

Good point. This would also spotlight Kasich and any voters he picked up would likely be at Cruz' expense.

Again, Cruz is much easier to beat in a general. He can't flip flop like Trump can. Just wait if Trump gets the nomination, he will turn into some weird democrat.
You think he can run away from his racist/bigoted/misogynist/etc statements? Trump would get destroyed. At least republicans could unite behind Cruz. Granted Cruz would lose bad too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
He called out Megyn Kelly during his speech yesterday (not using her name but very much pointing to her) so I'm not surprised he'd want to participate in a Fox debate again.

HvySky

This actually makes me more interested in the debate. Kasich going head to head with Cruz and actually having a chance to demonstrate that he's the most level headed candidate on the Republican side is something I'd like to see. As entertaining as it has been to watch Trump shit on moderators and candidates alike, all while dodging every question, the novelty has worn off.

Ted Cruz vs. John Kasich

Now, that's excitement right there...

To be honest, I don't blame Trump. The last debate was an all-out assault on him and at this point, all he can do is lose votes whenever he is asked tough questions or has to defend himself against his own hypocrisy.

It's the old Samuel Clemmons quote: "Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt"

Future

I haven't watched all the debates. Are there really any questions that these candidates haven't avoided giving answers to yet?

Last time he skipped a debate, it cost him.
His lead is baked in now. Last time he gambled before even winning a state. Now he can throw his weight around. Still, a risky move. But I dont think it will matter to him that much especially when there are no favorable states for him for the next few weeks.

I agree. Honestly there have been a dozen fucking debates, nothing new is ever said except a new nickname for one of the candidates. At this point you know what you're going to get from these guys at a Republican debate. Any debate thread regulars could write out a pretty good impression of each candidate.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You mean fact checking?

What does this mean? Pointing out contradictionsandasking hard questions?

I wonder if you guys would be excited about a Megyn Kelly "fact checking" debate in the general election, where she spends half of the time personally arguing back and forth with Hillary and doesn't touch Trump until she asks him to please explain why Hillary Clinton is unfit to serve as President.

Context, people. The last debate was set up as a hit job on Trump. Debates aren't supposed to be full-on cross examinations of one candidate by the moderator, at least as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame him for saying enough with them. I'm not even supporting Trump here, I'm just saying I don't blame the guy for not deciding to get into a situation like that.

Trump will be there in spirit - the whole debate will focus on him even if he isn't there.

Trump can just do his usual "look at these losers" tweeting and make all his crazy followers happy.

It amazing how embracing ignorance, and ignorant voters, has vaulted Trump to the top.

TaterTots

Banned
You think he can run away from his racist/bigoted/misogynist/etc statements? Trump would get destroyed. At least republicans could unite behind Cruz. Granted Cruz would lose bad too.

He is not going to back out of anything he says. Sadly, those words are what gives him a chance. Republicans are uniting behind him. 53% the last time I checked. It's only growing. He is also pulling out a lot of republicans to actually vote.

Cruz debate in a nutshell:

''The last 7 years of (insert negative comment)''
''The last 7 years of blabllba''
''Washington insiders.... ''' (even though he if works in Washington and begs for Koch bros money
''blablabla against New York City Values'' (even if his wife works on Wall Street)
''Yaotalah Kohmenhi..... Isreal, Isreal, Isreal'' (lobbying for the neocon war chest donors)
''Flat Tax'' (give tax breaks to rich donors''
''Scrap the EPA'' (give his Big Oil donors and the Koch brothers regulatory relief)
''Scrap the IRS' (give his big donors more maneuverability at avoiding paying taxes

Cruz is worse than Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom