• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trumpcare (Obamacare repeal) may be law within days. This could be the final stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

As a Canadian who lurks a lot of the Political threads here, I am confused how people went from laughing at Trump's failure to kill Obamacare a few months back to this. If the Republicans basically have infinite retries to get their healthcare reforms through, why were many people so confident a few months back?

Short of Trump actually colluding with Russia with actual proof of blackmail?

It's carte blanche, baby. That's our last hope at this point.

Ekai

why yall responding to diablos seriously. please learn the lore.

on topic, this sucks. wish there was more we could do beyond calling and just making noise.

I mean, Republicans don't seem to care about noise made regardless. They will force this through just so their rich buds can line their pockets just a little bit more. It's all about fucking over the masses for them.

UberTag

Basically this. Their plan is to shift blame on Democrats if feasible so they can be in power again. Or draw up maps to more or less ensure their power regardless of how much the masses don't want them. And the masses already didn't vote for them anyway.
This isn't an either / or situation. Republicans will be doing BOTH of these things.
Dems and your corrupt media institutions won't call them on it so they're going to work every angle they have at their disposal.

Koomaster

I say let it happen at this point. People still love the GOP too much; and there is too much infighting within the Dems despite everything we've witnessed the past few months. Let's let the Trump experiment run its course the next 7-ish years and see where we are.

People WANT this; let them have it.

I hope most of the people dying are the one who were at his rallies. I know I'm a horrible person and I don't give a fuck, we need a wake up call and there won't be a better one than this one.

Not

Banned
As a Canadian who lurks a lot of the Political threads here, I am confused how people went from laughing at Trump's failure to kill Obamacare a few months back to this. If the Republicans basically have infinite retries to get their healthcare reforms through, why were many people so confident a few months back?

That's what I want to know too. People really overestimated that even a fraction of the GOP would discover their souls.

Ekai

I say let it happen at this point. People still love the GOP too much; and there is too much infighting within the Dems despite everything we've witnessed the past few months. Let's let the Drumpf experiment run its course the next 7-ish years and see where we are.

I mean, the majority of the voting population that did vote didn't want this at all. Hell, Trumpcare by all polls I've seen has barely any approval even from GOP voters. It's ridiculous.

Guys, I have bad news for you- Protesting does jack shit.

Dems don't vote. Repubs do. Case closed, good luck to those affected.

If the protests are big enough, I think it will have an effect. It could energize people.

I'm not talking about a few thousand people. I'm talking about a million or more people marching the streets and protesting. Entire streets flooded with people as far as the eye can see.

I say let it happen at this point. People still love the GOP too much; and there is too much infighting within the Dems despite everything we've witnessed the past few months. Let's let the Trump experiment run its course the next 7-ish years and see where we are.

Unfortunately I have to agree. This is the will of the people, hope it doesn't hurt and screw over too many good people.

They were confident Hillary was going to be President too.

The reality is that GAF is a political inverse, everything GAF is confident about the opposite will happen with a 100% success rate.

GAF is confident the Democrats will retake the House in 2018. Let's see how that one goes!

What about the millions that don't want this? Those with pre existing conditions and those on Medicaid? Because fuck them right?

Here's hoping this reduces my employer offered plan prices - or at least slows the rate in which they have been increasing.
If that happens I'll vote for the guy. If that doesn't happen then I'll feel robbed.

Single payer is the endgame but anything that reduces my burden in the meantime is a-ok.
Lol. If this passes, premiums on private insurance holders are expected to rise by 20 percent in the next two years or so. Obamacare is/was the only thing keeping premiums down because more people could afford to get health insurance, thus staving off the ex potential increase in insurance premiums. Subsidies being cut for poor to middle income insurance holders under Obamacare means more people are going to drop their plans or won't be able to afford insurance. Private insurance companies will pass those savings along to you by increasing your premiums to make up the money lost from those who will lose coverage. I personally will have to chose whether to keep my plan, which I won't be able to afford once subsidies are cut, or go with my employer's insurance which I can't afford and costs more than twice as much as my insurance under the health care exchange. I am beyond the point of believing America, my country, actually cares about working poor people. They'd rather see us go uninsured and die if it means they can hoard more of their wealth and privilege

cdyhybrid

Everyone that bought the emails bullshit or claimed Hillary's ties to Wall Street were a deal breaker pay attention - this is your legacy. You shoveled bullshit into your piehole to make yourself feel better and here we are. You could have stopped this and you decided your feelings were more important. I hope you're satisfied.

Maxim726X

I mean, the majority of the voting population that did vote didn't want this at all. Hell, Trumpcare by all polls I've seen has barely any approval even from GOP voters. It's ridiculous.

16% approval. Fucking sixteen

They're so confident in their spin machine that they just don't give a fuck anymore. They'll probably pull it off, too.

If the protests are big enough, I think it will have an effect. It could energize people.

I'm not talking about a few thousand people. I'm talking about a million or more people marching the streets and protesting. Entire streets flooded with people as far as the eye can see.

That's impossible and won't happen. Cities would never allow it anyway.

"Let the Trump experiment run its course"
Yeah, let's just let tons of people die! What the fuck are going on about?

Here's hoping this reduces my employer offered plan prices - or at least slows the rate in which they have been increasing.
If that happens I'll vote for the guy. If that doesn't happen then I'll feel robbed.

Single payer is the endgame but anything that reduces my burden in the meantime is a-ok.

I work for an employer with a very decent plan. I'm hoping there is more pain for those that get their healthcare through work. It'll be short-term but absolutely necessary to get the public majority to demanding single payer.

Employer provided health care is terrible -- it stifles innovation (workers that could potentially have a ground-breaking idea don't leave their company and create a start-up due to worries of health care), it lowers productivity (older workers stay at a company far later than they'd otherwise have to due to worries of health care), it makes comparing salaries among multiple opportunities difficult (can't just use base salary), etc.

Single payer is the way to go, and it benefits everyone. Well, except the insurance companies and the wealthiest among us.

This is exactly what I was criticizing earlier.

The reality is that GAF is a political inverse, everything GAF is confident about the opposite will happen with a 100% success rate.

GAF is confident the Democrats will retake the House in 2018. Let's see how that one goes!

I see a whole lot more posts with people saying there is no chance.

Don't do this, it wasn't GAF that was going against the flow. Everyone said Trump was going down and I distinctly recall everyone saying that there was no way this would get through the Senate. The fact is they all underestimate the resolve of Republicans and their desire to erase Obama and his legacy from the face of the earth. They are not going to sit around and lose the two years they have. Cannot wait to see tax reform and the budget.

UberTag

That's what I want to know too. People really overestimated that even a fraction of the GOP would discover their souls.
They're GOP. You can't discover a soul if you never had one in the first place. They sold them years ago... and not just for 5 dollars that were traded for ALF pogs. But for much, much more cash.

sphagnum

Banned

It is impossible to create a cheaper and more effective health care system purely through private markets and the GOP knows this. The only way to cut costs otherwise is to slash tons of benefits and make everything literally worse. Because of this the two GOP factions in the House (where representatives are elected to represent congressional districts, which can be reshaped to capture a specific voting bloc and ensure constant easy reelection for radicals) - the "moderate" Republicans and the fanatically small government Freedom Caucus could not see eye to eye, and the Senate, which cannot be gerrymandered since senators represent entire states, was not keen on the House's ideas since it would mean tough reelection campaigns for senators. So it was assumed that internal dynamics would produce a never-ending stalemate, and initially that seemed true.

But the GOP has gotten to the point that they are afraid they'll be primaried for not doing ANYTHING since usually only the most rabid party followers show up during the primaries. They're willing to gamble that even though the public hates this bill, politics are so polarized that theyll be able to win reelection anyway.

epmode

Remember, the House bill only passed after it was made even WORSE to appeal to the radical right. The Senate is more sane than the House (no gerrymandering) so people assumed that they'd make the bill significantly more friendly, which would then fail when the House got it back.

I suppose we underestimated the Senate's lack of fucks given, not to mention the way the worst part of the bill only activates in 2020.

Maxim726X

What about the millions that don't want this? Those with pre existing conditions and those on Medicaid? Because fuck them right?

What other choice remains?

Losing elections has consequences.

The wall is next. Clearly, he is going to get his entire agenda through.

Ekai

16% approval. Fucking sixteen

They're so confident in their spin machine that they just don't give a fuck anymore. They'll probably pull it off, too.

That they aren't even doing what the people actually want is so telling to where their loyalties lie. It's not with the voting public, that's for damn sure.

If I was American I'd be throwing eggs and other soft foods at government republicans. That way you get thrown in jail with a better safety net.

At the end of the day they get an egg on their face and you get security.

Alphahawk

I've baisicly learned to try and avoid the various hot takes a lot of gaffers have regarding politics.

Today we've had four prominent Republicand stating that they won't vote for it, Gaf's imediate response is "they're lying because they're all lying liars with their pants on fire" Well, not likely given that whatever they say has a real possibility of killing the actual vote itself.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't engage with your congress people because that will posibly further derail the vote, but in all likelyhood it's dead.

Wolfe

Unfortunately I have to agree. This is the will of the people, hope it doesn't hurt and screw over too many good people.

Give me a break, this is such a stupid argument to hang onto when he lost the popular vote and his "base" is far from a majority of anything.

No this is not the will of "the people", it's the will of a few rich fucks with a lot of power that are good at convincing some people to vote against their interests.

People don't want this. Neither Democrat, nor Republican voters.

But they're doing it anyway.

Maybe they shouldn't have voted in people who said they were going to get rid of the ACA...

You don't get to say this isn't the legislation I wanted, that isn't the way representative democracy works.

Give me a break, this is such a stupid argument to hang onto when he lost the popular vote and his "base" is far from a majority of anything.

No this is not the will of "the people", it's the will of a few rich fucks with a lot of power that are good at convincing some people to vote against their interests.

Is that why Republicans control Congress and the vast majority of the States?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I work for an employer with a very decent plan. I'm hoping there is more pain for those that get their healthcare through work. It'll be short-term but absolutely necessary to get the public majority to demanding single payer.

Employer provided health care is terrible -- it stifles innovation (workers that could potentially have a ground-breaking idea don't leave their company and create a start-up due to worries of health care), it lowers productivity (older workers stay at a company far later than they'd otherwise have to due to worries of health care), it makes comparing salaries among multiple opportunities difficult (can't just use base salary), etc.

Single payer is the way to go, and it benefits everyone. Well, except the insurance companies and the wealthiest among us.

Single payer definitely benefits most Americans. But I don't think causing pain in the middle class is the way to get it done.

Perhaps one of the establishments should just put an electable person up for election that believes -and will fight for- single payer. We had that chance this past election but stuff happened.

Even better we need a politician willing to wipe an entire industry off the map.

Pedrito

You can't blame people for being optimists.

Pessimism leads to...whatever is happening in the US.

Orayn

If I was American I'd be throwing eggs and other soft foods at government republicans. That way you get thrown in jail with a better safety net.

At the end of the day they get an egg on their face and you get security.

They actually charge you money to be in jail.

Ekai

I've baisicly learned to try and avoid the various hot takes a lot of gaffers have regarding politics.

Today we've had four prominent Republicand stating that they won't vote for it, Gaf's imediate response is "they're lying because they're all lying liars with their pants on fire" Well, not likely given that whatever they say has a real possibility of killing the actual vote itself.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't engage with your congress people because that will posibly further derail the vote, but in all likelyhood it's dead.

Given we've had Republicans say the same shit before when they did so in advance knowing the bill's vote would be broken by Pence (literally just enough broke off to make sure Pence could push it through anyway) AND that it would make them look good to moderates in their districts when they were up for election, I have a hard time buying this.

They voted in their representative, which means that individual is representing those voters. This is what people want, hence why they voted how they did.

I mean, all polling indicates that not even a lot of GOP voters want this bill. So, no the representative isn't representing the voters.

If this does fail, I hope people don't just sit back and go "lolololol, Trump is a loser." You should continue to fight to make sure they lose again and again and again.

kswiston

It is impossible to create a cheaper and more effective health care system purely through private markets and the GOP knows this. The only way to cut costs otherwise is to slash tons of benefits and make everything literally worse. Because of this the two GOP factions in the House (where representatives are elected to represent congressional districts, which can be reshaped to capture a specific voting bloc and ensure constant easy reelection for radicals) - the "moderate" Republicans and the fanatically small government Freedom Caucus could not see eye to eye, and the Senate, which cannot be gerrymandered since senators represent entire states, was not keen on the House's ideas since it would mean tough reelection campaigns for senators. So it was assumed that internal dynamics would produce a never-ending stalemate, and initially that seemed true.

But the GOP has gotten to the point that they are afraid they'll be primaried for not doing ANYTHING since usually only the most rabid party followers show up during the primaries. They're willing to gamble that even though the public hates this bill, politics are so polarized that theyll be able to win reelection anyway.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom