• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

dummydecoy

How come COD is always shown on Xbox though, when it's
ibwkxUcavjXEJ1.jpg

No its not. This has been going on for a long time, its nothing new. And by long time i mean numerous generations, including generations where MS did not have a console.

This is news worthy of a new thread. People have spent the last 2 pages discussing it and completely derailed the discussion here. That's VERY thread worthy.

Checking your post history, have you EVER said something non-super supportive of Microsoft?
Since day 1 of posting you seem to only pop into anti-MS threads in Gaming.

The only reason someone would not want a new thread is if they were trying to suppress this information.

How come COD is always shown on Xbox though, when it's
ibwkxUcavjXEJ1.jpg
Those two aren't mutually exclusive. I think you're reading that backwards.

On the PS3, it's the best-selling franchise.
On the 360, it's ALSO the best-selling franchise.

Amir0x

Banned
It seems to be a 3DS production that will be ported to Vita.

Oh...ok I guess. thought it was some cool new Batman game for Vita. Porting off 3DS version means underwhelming use of Vita's power and abilities

still, hope it turns out well 'cause I'd totally buy it

Somehow I don't think people would be getting on that high horse if they heard Sony doing the same. What's wrong with being aggressive in the promotion of your platform? That's an extremely toxic sounding accusation if I ever saw one. I also genuinely think it's made to sound far worse than it really is. What's this big, mean old Microsoft are going to destroy Sony and the PS4 stuff all about? Sony can handle themselves and have been doing so just fine for many years now. A lot has been said about people attempting to turn Microsoft into a victim that is being unfairly treated, is this now what people want to turn Sony into? Come on, this is beyond ridiculous. People are confident, and have said so, that Sony is making all the right moves and they believe that consumers and gamers will ultimately choose Sony and shun Microsoft and the new Xbox.

Day in and day out you hear about a new Microsoft misstep or fuck up, and everybody is further convinced that the floor is literally coming out from under the new Xbox and there's absolutely no way possible for them to recover from this chain reaction of disasters. If all this is true, and people believe this with every fiber of their being, what reason is there to be concerned that Microsoft even has the ability to destroy Sony and the PS4? If Microsoft couldn't destroy the PS3 with all the mistakes that were made there, do you really think they are capable of doing it now that Sony appears to have all their shit together in a way we haven't seen in years? Sony has literally been pitch perfect, or as close to it as a company can get in the build up to a new machine. Sony will be fine. Business is business. Microsoft has spent incredible amounts of money in different areas for years, and it hasn't produced the result desired. What really is there to fear? Since when has making potential business deals to prop up and give special treatment to your own product over the product of a competitor, been this terrible and disgusting thing? Sony has done this for years, Nintendo is effectively doing it through Sega, we have so many examples of this throughout the years, where games were shown on one platform over the other for one reason or another, and Microsoft are sure as hell no stranger to this practice, but now in an atmosphere where if you have the nerve to say something positive about the Xbox platform or disagree with the pack, you get called a Microsoft plant, the rules change a bit. Even basic business is now treated as the work of monsters out there muscling and extorting people for everything they have. Seriously, yikes. I understand that Microsoft are doing some things people genuinely don't like, but this whole thing has officially been upgraded to full blown crazy.

Did EA's decision to shun the Dreamcast not effectively destroy it as a platform and help further ensure the PS2 would wipe it off the map? I believe they even had a very prominent place at Sony's E3 conference somewhere around that time. Were people angry with Sony for that? It's just business. I mean, I can't understand why people that are already clearly committed to getting a PS4 and are so certain it's the platform for them, would be so bothered by some developers or publishers showing the Xbox One version of the game, when that same exact game is still going to release on the PS4 day and date with the Xbox One version, on top of likely be the superior version of the game. The idea that some third party games will slip through is not a hope that people need to have. It's a guarantee, because some of the biggest third parties have already slipped. Bungie's Destiny, one of the biggest multiplatform titles out there, is at Sony's press conference showing the first ever true gameplay of the next big thing from the creators of Halo. Watch Dogs, a game that I'm excited about and has tons of potential, has already played a prominent role in the PS4 reveal. I have friends that believe Watch Dogs is a PS4 only game... Witcher 3 I believe is only announced for the PS4 thus far.

Geoff Keighley said that based on what he's hearing that both E3 pressers are going to be the best in years. Honestly, people. I think Sony is going to do okay? :) No amount of money that Microsoft could possibly spend can stop Sony if they have a great product with great services and software, which so far it looks like they do. And for all the crap that MS has been getting about their showing off the OS of their system, Sony showing off what is possible on the PS4 with the recording, saving and then uploading of game content, along with the social features, even friends taking over and helping you through your game, or even watching you as play (without having to own the game, I believe), was a major, major highlight for me at Sony's reveal event. This on top of games, people. Sony has a solid offering that people will pay attention to, and have been paying attention to. It annoys me to no end that people would believe that silly practices that have been around forever would suddenly have any serious impact on what gamers decide to do.

Oh...ok I guess. thought it was some cool new Batman game for Vita. Porting off 3DS version means underwhelming use of Vita's power and abilities

If it has a better framerate, resolution and polycount, it could be fine.

StuBurns

Banned

It's not a port, and it's made by the Metroid Prime leads. It will be spectacular.

It annoys me to no end that people would believe that silly practices that have been around forever would suddenly have any serious impact on what gamers decide to do.

Which means you're agreeing with everyone else here. It's scummy and not going to work, since Sony has always been about games and will have LOTS of games, and haven't managed to woo Activision on their big title.

You're freaking out at a possible reality that none of us acknowledge will exist. This is just every branch of MS doing their best to ensure their job security down the line.

Essentially, Microsoft did not enter the console space because they saw opportunity - they entered because they saw threat. They didn't get in it to build a great gaming device, even if that ended up being the result to some, the overarching goal has been to quash the convergent living room bogeyman, and whoever was making it, that could have taken away the relevance of the Windows PC.

MS is well known for being a company that is entirely reactionary. They don't ever innovate, they merely enter markets when a competitor emerges which they feel could be a threat. Because of this, they tend to be last to enter a market, or in the case of Xbone, it seems they started later in designing the thing which is why they are now having possible hardware production issues.

coldfoot

Banned
MS moneyhat gagging sounds like a terrible idea. This is not the NES days, there's this thing called the internet and gamers are quite proficient at following the news. Not only it will come out that these games are multiplatform, but this is going to fire back at MS when people learn that they're spending money for what's essentially censorship.

360 having first crack at the DLC is most likely why

That should tell you everything you need to know on how to win next gen. People don't wanna wait for anything even if it will eventually be available on the other console. They want shit fast and want it now.

So in conclusion, make your games so that its consistently giving you a lot of shit fast, a la call of duty, and you should appease to most of those people very well. But put in a ranking system that takes forever to unlock anything, and when it does give you something its a fucking shoulder pad, the population drops like a mofo.

Secret to success solved.

Which means you're agreeing with everyone else here. It's scummy and not going to work, since Sony has always been about games and will have LOTS of games, and haven't managed to woo Activision on their big title.

You're freaking out at a possible reality that none of us acknowledge will exist. This is just every branch of MS doing their best to ensure their job security down the line.

No, it's not scummy... it's business. I don't believe it's going to work, but that doesn't make it scummy lol. Sony are no strangers to this practice, and to think otherwise is delusional. I read a few posts, and people were seriously treating this as if it had a snowball in hell's chance of working, or at least as if there was something to worry about, and I'm like "What!? We have officially hit critical mass!"

Donnie

That's entirely my point. If Nintendo hasn't done it by now, they've missed the boat completely.

The 3DS took off once nintendo cut the price substantially. They have no margin with the WiiU to do so, and by all indications price isn't the issue with that console (as it was with the PS3.)

to top it off, build speculation on the PS4 and Xbone has them coming in as low as $399 at retail. The tablet functionality has not caught the attention of casuals, and the games that the core audience is interested either cannot run on the console due to the massive power gap, or lack of interest by third parties in doing so. It's tracking worse than any console since the Saturn. Things are very, VERY bad.

My point is that while Nintendo have missed out on a big head start so far the system is far from finished at this point. Their software doesn't just become unattractive the moment Sony and MS release their consoles.

Nintendo dropped the price of 3DS, but that also coincided with the release of key titles shortly after and that's what's been pushing the system ever since. But like you've just said price isn't the problem with WiiU software is, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning the likelihood of a WiiU price drop.

Though on that subject, we have no solid info on what margin Nintendo currently have on WiiU or what it may be by Christmas and as far as I've seen the only Xbox One/PS4 bom has come from Pachter, and the less said about him the better.

Again I'm not saying WiiU is currently doing ok. I'm saying that the time to start claiming it's over is if it's still selling poorly after the really compelling software hits.

No, it's not scummy... it's business. I don't believe it's going to work, but that doesn't make it scummy lol. Sony are no strangers to this practice, and to think otherwise is delusional. I read a few posts, and people were seriously treating this as if it had a snowball in hell's chance of working, or at least as if there was something to worry about, and I'm like "What!? We have officially hit critical mass!"

Everything they are doing is being compounded by the negativity around the system. This by itself is not a problem, but it is a problem, when M$ failed to wow gamers the first time round and now are using deceit to trick the public into buying the VCR one instead of using that money to make some good games. This along with the one million fails of the VCR one is showing, and gamers are responding.

This is news worthy of a new thread. People have spent the last 2 pages discussing it and completely derailed the discussion here. That's VERY thread worthy.

Checking your post history, have you EVER said something non-super supportive of Microsoft?
Since day 1 of posting you seem to only pop into anti-MS threads in Gaming.

The only reason someone would not want a new thread is if they were trying to suppress this information.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive. I think you're reading that backwards.

On the PS3, it's the best-selling franchise.
On the 360, it's ALSO the best-selling franchise.

It's the anti MS threads that have people flipping out over everything, even when it's not that big of a deal.

In a lot of my posts all I have said is let's wait until we have ALL of the info before we plunk down our money on a PS4. I see nothing wrong with that view.

Did EA's decision to shun the Dreamcast not effectively destroy it as a platform and help further ensure the PS2 would wipe it off the map? I believe they even had a very prominent place at Sony's E3 conference somewhere around that time. Were people angry with Sony for that? It's just business....

Just a quick note here: EA Shunning the DC had nothing to do with Sony moneyhatting them (why would sony bother? they were crushing everyone at that point) and everything to do with Sega Sports- specifically NFL2K- competing directly with EA's sports titles.

Verendus

Banned
Where is that Kotaku guy when you need him? If there is any truth to these rumors, Kotaku (and the rest of the press) need to be all over this. This sort of thing (if true) shouldn't be confined to forum posts.
Just run with it regardless of whether it's true or not. This is fun.

Teletraan1

Banned
For as long as it took developers to even figure out how to squeeze their games into PS3's hardware, I can see the ease of development this time meaning an easier time for developers which leaves them more time to make the game look better on specific hardware. If they're no longer wresting with the Playstation hardware to produce a quality gaming experience like they had to do the previous 2 generations, and not only are they getting the easiest system to develop for but also by far the strongest, I don't see how they wouldn't at least devote some time in making it look better than the other system ports.

Not to mention that on PS4 these multiplatform games will have to (try to) compete graphically with Sony first party games and exclusives. Unless MS is going to money hat Sony to also make their games look worse I don't see how 3rd parties would on purpose just go for parity and release a comparatively inferior product. I think this parity dialogue is just wishful thinking on some peoples part.

Senjutsu is really taking all of this to heart.

Tell us, Senjutsu, why is your insider right, and Cboat wrong?

I'm honestly beyond that, but I don't really see Cboat saying anything different from what I've said before he ever dropped in with his response, or am I reading that wrong? He said ESRAM is having issues. I literally said and confirmed the same the moment it came up in the other thread when others mentioned it, I think even before this very thread was created.

We aren't actually in disagreement on anything... My disagreement based on what I've heard from someone that I think would know, has always been on the subject of a GPU downclock, and not much else. My long response up there has less to do with what the subject of this thread about. I was responding to what I saw amirox post regarding Microsoft's made to seem sinister E3 plans, when it's generally how this industry has always worked at some level or another.

Just a quick note here: EA Shunning the DC had nothing to do with Sony moneyhatting them (why would sony bother? they were crushing everyone at that point) and everything to do with Sega Sports- specifically NFL2K- competing directly with EA's sports titles.

I remember seeing a number of EA PS2 cross promotions, some even specifically appearing to be joined sponsored with Sony, but this was a long ass time ago, so it's not impossible for me to have the details all screwed up. Either way, whatever the details, Sony are certainly no stranger to this. Hell, their purchased stake at one time in Square I believe was focused entirely around steering game development and favor towards their platform. There was a time in the early ps1 and ps2 days when Sony was buying developers all over the place that had showcased even a tiny shred of talent and ability. It didn't even stop with the PS3. Media Molecule purchase, Guerilla Games purchase (I understand this purchase much less, but it's apart of making the point.) All that said, you say why would sony bother? How do you know they didn't bother? With Microsoft being so popular in the usa with the xbox 360, do you really believe Microsoft needs to try very hard to win over third party support? That argument can go both ways. Microsoft may have more money, but Sony is more aggressive than Microsoft in many regards that goes unnoticed, simply because they don't have Microsoft's warchest.

Not to mention that on PS4 these multiplatform games will have to (try to) compete graphically with Sony first party games and exclusives. Unless MS is going to money hat Sony to also make their games look worse I don't see how 3rd parties would on purpose just go for parity and release a comparatively inferior product. I think this parity dialogue is just wishful thinking on some peoples part.

Agreed. and Sony being strong in EU and the only next gen game in town in JP mean that gimping the PS4 version doesn't just mean the Xbox version looks on par- it means that millions of gamers will just assume that studio makes a shit product compared to PS4 devs that AREN'T crippling their titles.

CLEEK

Forgive my blatant ignorance but could someone explain what the term "yield" means with respect to the APU and eSRAM?

Yield just refers to the number of good chips that come out of the production line. As in, chips without any manufacturing flaws.

The Xbone has an APU (combined GPU and CPU) with a big chunk of on-chip memory (ESRAM). All on a single die (chip). If any of the parts fail QA, the entire chip is worthless. The rumours are the APU side is fine, but the ESRAM is having production issue, causing low yields of the entire chips.

They can increase yields by not binning the faulty chips, but just downgrading the speed they're meant to work at. A chip might fail QA when it runs at the original 800MHz clock speed, but not have any errors when the clock speed is reduced. (High clocks always mean more heat, amongst other things).

Perkel

Banned
Somehow I don't think people would be getting on that high horse if they heard Sony doing the same. What's wrong with being aggressive in the promotion of your platform? That's an extremely toxic sounding accusation if I ever saw one. I also genuinely think it's made to sound far worse than it really is. What's this big, mean old Microsoft are going to destroy Sony and the PS4 stuff all about? Sony can handle themselves and have been doing so just fine for many years now. A lot has been said about people attempting to turn Microsoft into a victim that is being unfairly treated, is this now what people want to turn Sony into? Come on, this is beyond ridiculous. People are confident, and have said so, that Sony is making all the right moves and they believe that consumers and gamers will ultimately choose Sony and shun Microsoft and the new Xbox.

Day in and day out you hear about a new Microsoft misstep or fuck up, and everybody is further convinced that the floor is literally coming out from under the new Xbox and there's absolutely no way possible for them to recover from this chain reaction of disasters. If all this is true, and people believe this with every fiber of their being, what reason is there to be concerned that Microsoft even has the ability to destroy Sony and the PS4? If Microsoft couldn't destroy the PS3 with all the mistakes that were made there, do you really think they are capable of doing it now that Sony appears to have all their shit together in a way we haven't seen in years? Sony has literally been pitch perfect, or as close to it as a company can get in the build up to a new machine. Sony will be fine. Business is business. Microsoft has spent incredible amounts of money in different areas for years, and it hasn't produced the result desired. What really is there to fear? Since when has making potential business deals to prop up and give special treatment to your own product over the product of a competitor, been this terrible and disgusting thing? Sony has done this for years, Nintendo is effectively doing it through Sega, we have so many examples of this throughout the years, where games were shown on one platform over the other for one reason or another, and Microsoft are sure as hell no stranger to this practice, but now in an atmosphere where if you have the nerve to say something positive about the Xbox platform or disagree with the pack, you get called a Microsoft plant, the rules change a bit. Even basic business is now treated as the work of monsters out there muscling and extorting people for everything they have. Seriously, yikes. I understand that Microsoft are doing some things people genuinely don't like, but this whole thing has officially been upgraded to full blown crazy.

Did EA's decision to shun the Dreamcast not effectively destroy it as a platform and help further ensure the PS2 would wipe it off the map? I believe they even had a very prominent place at Sony's E3 conference somewhere around that time. Were people angry with Sony for that? It's just business. I mean, I can't understand why people that are already clearly committed to getting a PS4 and are so certain it's the platform for them, would be so bothered by some developers or publishers showing the Xbox One version of the game, when that same exact game is still going to release on the PS4 day and date with the Xbox One version, on top of likely be the superior version of the game. The idea that some third party games will slip through is not a hope that people need to have. It's a guarantee, because some of the biggest third parties have already slipped. Bungie's Destiny, one of the biggest multiplatform titles out there, is at Sony's press conference showing the first ever true gameplay of the next big thing from the creators of Halo. Watch Dogs, a game that I'm excited about and has tons of potential, has already played a prominent role in the PS4 reveal. I have friends that believe Watch Dogs is a PS4 only game... Witcher 3 I believe is only announced for the PS4 thus far.

Geoff Keighley said that based on what he's hearing that both E3 pressers are going to be the best in years. Honestly, people. I think Sony is going to do okay? :) No amount of money that Microsoft could possibly spend can stop Sony if they have a great product with great services and software, which so far it looks like they do. And for all the crap that MS has been getting about their showing off the OS of their system, Sony showing off what is possible on the PS4 with the recording, saving and then uploading of game content, along with the social features, even friends taking over and helping you through your game, or even watching you as play (without having to own the game, I believe), was a major, major highlight for me at Sony's reveal event. This on top of games, people. Sony has a solid offering that people will pay attention to, and have been paying attention to. It annoys me to no end that people would believe that silly practices that have been around forever would suddenly have any serious impact on what gamers decide to do.

Then why you need to defend this in first place if it is just a hoax. You have your bet and time will tell if that was true. As of MS E3 game shenanigans so if all other companies are doingit/done it then we should not talk about it ?

If that rumor is true then probably a lot of people will be confused @ E3 where there will be no PS4 signs near multiplat games. Information like this is essential.

Somehow I don't think people would be getting on that high horse if they heard Sony doing the same.

It is all MS fucking things up themselves. Sony is doing literally nothing.

Yield just refers to the number of good chips that come out of the production line. As in, chips without any manufacturing flaws.

The Xbone has an APU (combined GPU and CPU) with a big chunk of on-chip memory (ESRAM). All on a single die (chip). If any of the parts fail QA, the entire chip is worthless. The rumours are the APU side is fine, but the ESRAM is having production issue, causing low yields of the entire chips.

Thank you so much!!

jjasper

Somehow I don't think people would be getting on that high horse if they heard Sony doing the same.

I don't really want to get into all this rumor stuff but there were multiple daily threads like this about a lot of the same stuff (not the DRM shit) last gen with the PS3. Then after $599 went down it went to another level.

I read that and my head still can't get around it. Me dumb today :/

very simply, when making chips, a certain percentage are going to be defective. let's say 20%. so if you make 100 chips, 80 will be useable. that's your yield.

yield "problems" means that microsoft might be expecting 80, and only getting 40. you can increase yields a few ways, the most common being intentionally using a chip that does not work to full capacity (say, manufacturing a 12 core chip, but only calling for 10 cores within the spec)- that way more of the "defective" chips are useable.

Sony did this with the Cell, intentionally disabling a couple of the cores to get better yields and more useable chips.

cchum

I read that and my head still can't get around it. Me dumb today :/
Sram is IN the apu. Hard to produce. Lowering gpu clock would give a higher percent of "good" parts. Something like that

Lol everyone else answered. Anywho....TRUTHFACT should be the next meme

CLEEK

Thank you so much!!

As per my edit:

They can increase yields by not binning the faulty chips, but just downgrading the speed they're meant to work at. A chip (or part of it - e.g the ESRAM) might fail QA when it runs at the original 800MHz clock speed, but not have any errors when the clock speed is reduced. (High clocks always mean more heat, amongst other things).

MogCakes

Personally it's seeming to me that anyone with insider info would do well to keep low right around now - people are going completely bonkers and famousmortimer's and Amir0x's remarks seem to have provoked a huge response. For the sake of keeping your head below the spotlight I'd suggest them to keep to themselves and just let things roll to E3. I don't want to see anyone banned because people went apeshit over something they said.

We aren't actually in disagreement on anything... My disagreement based on what I've heard from someone that I think would know, has always been on the subject of a GPU downclock, and not much else. My long response up there has less to do with what the subject of this thread about. I was responding to what I saw amirox post regarding Microsoft's made to seem sinister E3 plans, when it's generally how this industry has always worked at some level or another.

It doesn't matter who is doing it or if it's a common industry practice; it's still super shitty. Attempting to deceive the consumer base in one way or another is not the way a product should be sold.

Then why you need to defend this in first place if it is just a hoax. You have your bet and time will tell if that was true. As of MS E3 game shenanigans so if all other companies are doingit/done it then we should not talk about it ?

If that rumor is true then probably a lot of people will be confused @ E3 where there will be no PS4 signs near multiplat games. Information like this is essential.

Agreed, and while people are worried about blowing up sources, I really think this rumor about MS paying devs not to show multiplats to make it seem like PS4 won't have 3rd party titles is a way bigger deal than downclocking. This sort of thing seems super shady and an attempt to confuse and deceive consumers. That's truly awful stuff.

SpyGuy239

Some great down to earth statements there.

The only thing I differ in is that money will help Microsoft win. that and the DLC first for COD.

Make no mistake, in this day and age, advertising seems to work extremely well, especially with the type of gamer that the Xbone seems to be targeted at!

Good post.

It is all MS fucking things up themselves. Sony is doing literally nothing.

Gamers won't be fooled. Many might be ignorant of a lot of things, but most gamers know how to use the internet machine :p They will find out and generally understand that Sony is getting fair treatment on these games, too, even if they won't necessarily have the PS4 version showing up there.

This seems silly to do, but mark my words at E3, you will likely end up seeing many third party companies acknowledge and likely show ps4 versions of their games. Hell, one of the bigger ones, Destiny, is already confirmed. That alone, in my opinion, puts Sony ahead of the third party pack. Why do I say this? Because we know COD will likely be at the MS conf, but COD, I'm sorry to say for those that like it, is shit, and has been that way since after COD 4 and MW2. I'm excited about that respawn game, but I don't know anything about it, nor under what new and challenging environment they are developing the game, and I think I heard some scary crap about it using the source engine from a thread already on here? The Respawn game is already on rocky foundation if that's true, but I always hope for the best.

Watch Dogs, one of the other most talked about third party games that I generally see people around me talk about, so many think it's a ps4 exclusive cause it was at the Sony reveal. They see it as the next GTA. So, in a nutshell, I think Sony is doing pretty damn well. Compare this to the more cocky approach they took to 3rd party leading up to the PS3 release. Sony has their shit together, and I know this isn't popular, but Microsoft isn't fucking up nearly as much as people think. It only appears that way to us, because, well, we're downright fanatics lol.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Somehow I don't think...

It isn't that you don't think, it appears to be that you don't remember or weren't around at the start of the ps3/360 generation. Sony was shooting themselves in the foot every time they opened their mouth and they were catching a ton of shit for it on every gaming site.

This is no different.

I do want to say that I don't think it is fair to blame Microsoft entirely for low yields. They're not fabbing the chips themselves and we have no idea what the predicted yields were, nor what the current yields are, nor what yields they need to make whatever their targets are.

StuBurns

Banned
It doesn't matter what people think now, it matters what they think in late October when they choose, and any multiplatforms will be known.

Thank you fellow GAFers for the yield explanation!!

What I can gather, now that I understand what it means is that the XB1 APU and PS3 Cell chip are essentially in the same boat (relatively similar when it comes to yields). That means that developers are going to have a hell of time squeezing out power from the APU, not because of an overly complicated architecture (Cell Chip), but more likely resources that are freezed up because the APU has so many background processes. (I think). Also like the Cell Chip, the XB1 APU is prone to a higher chance of failure.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Sounds like someone needs to underclock their overheating feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom