• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn - A historical thriller about America’s first spy ring - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

Awesome OP, Ratsky! :D

I'm tuning in now. Looks pretty good so far. Brutal too! :O

Edit: And that opening credits sequence! Lovin' it!

rezn0r

So far so good, though that title sequence isn't going to win any awards.

Haha I agree.

I am really liking the show so far! I just finished up Assassin's Creed III also so I can't help but keep thinking about that with this setting.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Dunno about everyone else, but I enjoyed that quite a lot. If what The Daily Beast says about the next two episodes being a "rollicking good time" compared to the pilots setting the stage, then I will definitely be returning next weekend.

Draconian

I thought it was pretty good. I like the cast a lot. Jamie Bell, his dad from Pirates of the Caribbean, and the major from Pacific Rim are all great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked it a lot more than the critics led me to believe I would. Not super compelling, and I did get confused at some parts, but overall I'd say I liked more of it than I disliked. A pretty good start to the season.

Other thoughts:

The opening credits are weird. Not sue what to make of them. They look surprisingly cheap. I think they might be my second to least favorite AMC opening credit sequence behind Low Winter Sun's.

Caleb and Major Hewlett are easily the best characters. Hope we see a lot more of them in the future. Jamie Bell as Abraham was pretty good too.

The "Origins" comic has a bit of backstory that I thought was sort of interesting, primarily contained within the first few pages, that sheds a bit of light onto the history and relationships of some of the principal cast. The rest of it is just a recap of the first episode though, which is weird.

Linius

I liked the pilot as well. And yes, these opening credits are weird. I love The National so I like Matt's voice in there but the music is way too loud.

I must say some things were rather confusing for me during the pilot but I think I get most of it now. Abe is a boy who grew up in a community controled by the British. His father pledges allegiance to the Brits. But Abe has now been recruited by the Americans to act as their spy. I don't really know if Abe was already on their side in his head though? And what exactly was that smuggle thing about? Was he selling crops to the blue coats and is that seen as smuggling?

So what's the consensus? Worth checking out? I recorded on my DVR (watched GoT last night instead), and am wondering if it's worth a shot.

Linius

Well six posters above you say they enjoyed it versus one that found it boring. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the concensus eh :p

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I liked the pilot as well. And yes, these opening credits are weird. I love The National so I like Matt's voice in there but the music is way too loud.

I must say some things were rather confusing for me during the pilot but I think I get most of it now. Abe is a boy who grew up in a community controled by the British. His father pledges allegiance to the Brits. But Abe has now been recruited by the Americans to act as their spy. I don't really know if Abe was already on their side in his head though? And what exactly was that smuggle thing about? Was he selling crops to the blue coats and is that seen as smuggling?

I think he's always been sympathetic, or at least morally just, but more than anything he seems heavily influenced by Anna Strong's position on things, proven by his pulling a 180 on helping Talmadge after she asks him why he wouldn't help the Continentals.

As for the smuggling thing, it's smuggling because it's outside the purview of the law and thus the taxes I would assume. So while he wasn't directly selling to the blue coats, he was still breaking the law by circumventing the King's taxes. Both sides apparently turn a blind eye to it though because I'm guessing certain goods are in short supply on both sides, and so people looking to get the most out of their goods isn't completely frowned upon, at least as long as you aren't caught.

Ohwiseone

I liked it. I'm a major history nut, so it all works in my favor.

Everything I've read makes it seem like episode 2 and 3 takes off.

So I'll watch next week, but those opening titles are not good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was expecting a turd after Hitfix shat all over it, but it's not that bad. And given that they are so easily compared by virtue of airing at the same time, it's better than Game of Thrones at least. lol

But boy, the show is really dour.

I was expecting a turd after Hitfix shat all over it, but it's not that bad. And given that they are so easily compared by virtue of airing at the same time, it's better than Game of Thrones at least. lol

It was a dour time

Linius

I think he's always been sympathetic, or at least morally just, but more than anything he seems heavily influenced by Anna Strong's position on things, proven by his pulling a 180 on helping Talmadge after she asks him why he wouldn't help the Continentals.

As for the smuggling thing, it's smuggling because it's outside the purview of the law and thus the taxes I would assume. So while he wasn't directly selling to the blue coats, he was still breaking the law by circumventing the King's taxes. Both sides apparently turn a blind eye to it though because I'm guessing certain goods are in short supply on both sides, and so people looking to get the most out of their goods isn't completely frowned upon, at least as long as you aren't caught.

Thanks for more information on that. Think I'll rewatch the pilot before the next one airs just to take it all in.

LvKahux.gif

Pretty boring. And their clothes seemed way too clean to me. Not very compelling.

That's a pet peeve I have with virtually every TV drama these days, regardless of the setting. Everyone's clothes always look like they are being worn for the first time ever.

Really liked it. Recently read 1776 by David McCullough. Bit of a history buff too.

Jamie Bell carried it. Nicely done job of being a reluctant participant and there's plenty of avenues for conflict.

Really liked it. Recently read 1776 by David McCullough. Bit of a history buff too.
Me too! Great book, and a fascinating time period

If you're looking for some more great history nonfiction reads (not Revolution though), I'd recommend:
The Devil In The White City
Batavia's Graveyard
Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
The River of Doubt

Me too! Great book, and a fascinating time period

If you're looking for some more great history nonfiction reads (not Revolution though), I'd recommend:
The Devil In The White City
Batavia's Graveyard
Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
The River of Doubt

Thanks for the recommendations!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm not well versed with ratings but it seems like Turn did fairly well with it's premier given the competition Sunday with 2.1 million viewers, 3 million after the encore presentation. LWS did better with its pilot but nose dived there after big time, curious to see how it fairs next two weeks since most previews say the next two episodes really pick things up.

Deadline said:
On a very competitive night that included HBO’s Game of Thrones season opener, CBS’s Academy of Country Music Awards and, yes, WrestleMania 30 on pay-per-view, AMC‘s new crunchy-gravel drama Turn logged a hefty 2.1 million viewers at 9 PM last night. With the repeat viewing at 10:30 PM, that crowd grew to a cumed 3 million viewers. Among the premiere telecast’s 2.1 mil were 669,000 demo viewers; with the 10:30 PM repeat factored in, that stat grows to 1.1 million. Even better, the quarterly stats throughout the 90-minute premiere remained consistent, which means viewers did not look at a few minutes of the period piece and respond “Yikes!”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not well versed with ratings but it seems like Turn did fairly well with it's premier given the competition Sunday with 2.1 million viewers, 3 million after the encore presentation. LWS did better with its pilot but nose dived there after big time, curious to see how it fairs next two weeks since most previews say the next two episodes really pick things up.

It did fine. The numbers really need to hold though (or grow...). Even if the numbers drop a bit, I could see AMC maybe renewing the show and pairing it with Hell on Wheels on Saturdays next year. (assuming they renew HoW, which they might not)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Who By Fire

The murder of a royal officer has Abe seeking the killer's identity before Anna is framed for the crime. Meanwhile, Ben and Caleb brutally interrogate Simcoe.

Sounds like the wife of the innkeeper was his previous betrothed

It was revealed in the "Origins" comic that they
were childhood friends/crushes who evolved into lovers as teens before their families were split apart.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty good episode. Angus Macfadyen is killing it. Seems as though they're trying to setup Abe as a double agent of sorts. Michael Gaston's character looks like he'll be a total dick so that should be fun. Wondering where they're going with JJ Feild and the actress.

Draconian

I thought this was a pretty good episode too. Was I the only one who was assuming Abe really did kill the captain? He lies so often that it's hard to tell sometimes and they left it intentionally vague in the first episode.

NolbertoS

Liking this series alot. Liked that Robert the Bruce actor from Braveheart has a role in this movie as a Queens Ranger. Wondered whatever happened to him.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Liking this series alot. Liked that Robert the Bruce actor from Braveheart has a role in this movie as a Queens Ranger. Wondered whatever happened to him.

He's had no shortage of work, but most of it was TV appearances and B-movies with a few exceptions here and there. I was kind of worried when I saw him billed for Turn cause I wasn't sure how his performance was these days, but he's tearing it up so far. Him and Abe are acting circles around everyone else, but so far no one's acting has taken me out of things or bothered me so I'm cool with it.

ramuh

He's had no shortage of work, but most of it was TV appearances and B-movies with a few exceptions here and there. I was kind of worried when I saw him billed for Turn cause I wasn't sure how his performance was these days, but he's tearing it up so far. Him and Abe are acting circles around everyone else, but so far no one's acting has taken me out of things or bothered me so I'm cool with it.

Equilibrium was a great movie! Lol.

Watching episode 1 finally. Will post when I'm done.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.12 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2: 1.87 million 0.6 A18-49

Down in total viewers (to be expected after any premiere) but up in the demo. That's pretty good!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Of Cabbages and Kings

Ben is betrayed by his own militia while on the run from the British. Meanwhile, Abe and Richard travel to New York to spy, and Mary confronts Anna.

NolbertoS

I'm liking this show alot. I hope it doesn't fall in ratings over time. Seems the average joe prefers zombies, reality television and fantasy on TV rathet than American history lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom