• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn - A historical thriller about America’s first spy ring - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Yeah, I don't think I've seen him either.

Fine third episode by the way. I still have some trouble following everything but I'm rather enjoying it so I'll keep watching.

My favorite moment in this episode was when he dropped his loyalist ribbon onto the ground.

I wanted him to look into the camera and say, "I was left with no choice, but to TURN"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was the best episode so far, though it still isn't very compelling.

Also, the chromakey in that final scene was atrocious. Like, holy shit I can't believe that made it to broadcast. Wow. I'm legit shocked to see something like that on an AMC show. That's like made for public access tv level bad.

That's not a good sign...I hope that picks up. I'm sure GoT isn't helping.

It really isn't, though to be fair, Mad Men was also down quite a bit last Sunday (episode 3 earned 1.89 million viewers and a 0.6, which is almost the exact rating that Turn's second episode earned last week).

I wanted him to look into the camera and say, "I was left with no choice, but to TURN"

That would have been incredible, lol

Linius

Yeah I'm shaking my head at some of the CGI stuff in this show. They should watch some more Boardwalk to see how it's done.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
BkZ7PpC.gif

QhSDmO6.gif

Yeah I'm shaking my head at some of the CGI stuff in this show. They should watch some more Boardwalk to see how it's done.

fNXxWff.gif

This is the only gif of that scene I could find. Too bad it's so small.

Linius

This is the only gif of that scene I could find. Too bad it's so small.

Let's examine this further.

icWMhkN6YdW5X.gif
iba3PXrCoTiRbF.gif

i57sNJNWllMiI.gif

And here's how the cast reacted after seeing the final cut

ibkt4m0I7CgW1Z.gif

To be fair, the Don + Sally scene in last weeks Mad Men in the car looked almost equally bad imo. The background was a bit blurry and it just looked off. If you compare that to the average driving scene in an FX series like Justified or The Americans.

ecI.gif

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Came to this thread just to see comments and gifs about that laughable green screen. I knew I wouldn't leave disappointed. That shit was surreal.

It's also the only segment of the show I've ever actually watched, since it was at the beginning of the Mad Men recording. Not exactly the best first impression lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Eternity How Long

Abe and Richard struggle with British orders to dig up local gravestones. Meanwhile, Ben and Caleb conspire to get their intelligence to Gen. Washington.

Came to this thread just to see comments and gifs about that laughable green screen. I knew I wouldn't leave disappointed. That shit was surreal.

It's also the only segment of the show I've ever actually watched, since it was at the beginning of the Mad Men recording. Not exactly the best first impression lol

The show isn't bad. That was just the one really bad scene. It's pretty enjoyable.

New episode tonight!

Looking Forward to it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This was the first episode where all of the different plots gelled for me, and I think the show is steadily improving, but it's still not there yet.

Linius

I must admit I have never had so much trouble following the plot before. It comes across so complicated to me with who's spying on who. And these general/major dudes all wearing the same wigs doesn't make it easier.

I really liked the last scene btw, judge Woodhull delivered a good speech.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.12 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2: 1.87 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.40 million 0.4 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.29 million 0.3 A18-49

I must admit I have never had so much trouble following the plot before. It comes across so complicated to me with who's spying on who. And these general/major dudes all wearing the same wigs doesn't make it easier.

I agree that the plot is often very confusing. It seems like the writers just assume that the audience is already familiar with this period of US history and as a result, don't take enough time to explain everything clearly.

Also, a lot of the guys look exactly the same because they all wear the same uniforms and wigs. I still have no idea who the guy is that payed the hooker to fool that guy into admitting he was a spy (or whatever).

Linius

Ratings:

I agree that the plot is often very confusing. It seems like the writers just assume that the audience is already familiar with this period of US history and as a result, don't take enough time to explain everything clearly.

Also, a lot of the guys look exactly the same because they all wear the same uniforms and wigs. I still have no idea who the guy is that payed the hooker to fool that guy into admitting he was a spy (or whatever).

I think that was the same guy who was interrogating the man afterwards. In the previous episode you saw him already with the hooker telling her he completed his mission by recruiting a beautiful girl for army services or something like that. It was also featured in the 'what happened last week' bit before the episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think that was the same guy who was interrogating the man afterwards. In the previous episode you saw him already with the hooker telling her he completed his mission by recruiting a beautiful girl for army services or something like that. It was also featured in the 'what happened last week' bit before the episode.

Right, but, like, who is he? Was he in the first two episodes? How does he relate to the other characters? Is he just a random high ranking redcoat?

demolitio

I'll probably need a rewatch to answer that :p

My above post kind of gives it away. :D

I don't think they've said his name but based on his actions and everything, I'm pretty sure I know who he is and what he's going to do. I'll just put this part in spoilers just in case but this is who he is and why he's important:

He's Major John Andre who will be instrumental in Benedict Arnold's treachery. I don't think that will happen this season (which is why I'm praying for the ratings to improve) due to the timeframe but Abraham and the rest of the Culper Spy Ring will be the ones to expose Major Andre and Benedict Arnold's plot.

Maybe it will happen this season if they jump some time but that Major is definitely an important character for the future and it's basically building his character for his most famous deeds

The spoiler is only history but I tagged it just in case. Needless to say, that character will be an important part of the show. I just don't recall if they said his actual full name in the show yet or not so I don't know if it's a spoiler of who he is either.

I watched the first couple episodes and thought it was ok, but I'm over it.

What does BritishGAF think about this show/shows like this?

I love this damn show (I've only seen the first three eps so far). Simcoe is my new favorite tv villain. Please don't tell me he's already dead in a later episode!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 5: 1.23 million 0.3 A18-49

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Good lord, did the men not wear underwear back then or were some of them just having wardrobe malfunctions throughout the last episode?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Mr. Culpeper

Abe is ambushed by a desperate patriot on the way to New York. Meanwhile, Gen. Washington charges Ben with the task of creating America's first spy ring.

Linius

So little posts here.

This weeks episode was really good. Stephen Root joining was a surprise for me and he's as excellent as always. I feel like the season is really shaping up now.

AV Club Review (B)

I enjoyed it too, but it's a show I watch only when I've cleared my DVR. It expects a little too much of its audience which does it no favors as the subject matter is already impenetrable. I don't think it'll get another season, though it is among the better shows AMC has launched of late.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Mercy Moment Murder Measure

Abe risks everything to protect Anna when an old threat returns to Setauket. Meanwhile, Rogers travels to a prison ship seeking a mysterious man.

Tugatrix

I'm about to dump this show, hasn't convinced me, but the setting and the story have potential which is a shame given how bad it is explored

SteveWD40

What does BritishGAF think about this show/shows like this?

While I haven't seen this one I tend to ignore anything the US produces about the Revolution as it's usually almost comic book levels of bad stereotyping (brits are all slimy, evil, cowardly, colonials are all brave etc...), they downplay the French involvement massively as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 5: 1.23 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 6 - ??
Episode 7 - 1.08 million ?? A18-49

Status
Not open for further replies.