• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out Women Have Really, Really Strong Sex Drives: Can Men Handle It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Unfortunately, a broader range of studies (and ones not done by "Sexologists") pretty clearly show that this is not the case.

http://www.southalabama.edu/psychology/gordon/Baumeister(2000)SexualOrientation_Female.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jh...nepage&q=Sheila Murphy priests survey&f=false

From WebMD:

"Men want sex more often than women at the start of a relationship, in the middle of it, and after many years of it," Baumeister concludes after reviewing several surveys of men and women. This isn't just true of heterosexuals, he reports: gay men also have higher frequency of sex than lesbians at all stages of the relationship. Men also say they want more sex partners in their lifetime, and are more interested in casual sex.

However, this can vary on a case by case basis. It is certainly possible for an individual woman to have a higher sex drive than an individual man, as sexual dimorphism in homio sapiens sapiens, unlike other subspecies of homo sapiens, is relatively muted.

This is the danger of looking at any individual study or article and coming to conclusions without looking at the larger body of evidence, which is fairly consistently contradictory to this claim.

I remember an OkCupid thing that showed women thought most men were ugly (the curve was heavily slanted towards the most attractive men) while men had a more balanced curve (more women were considered average, with few super hot/ugly ones).

It was pretty interesting.

Right, I saw that too. I think about 80% were considered below average attractiveness. I do think that women could have high libidos, but my baseless theory is that it only really happens for a minority of lucky guys.

Isn't the idea of women having a lower sex drive then men a relatively new concept in "the West"? Wasn't the whole "women are slaves to their libido" thing a nasty stereotype for centuries?

I was always taught that men want women for sex and women want men for love. The whole sugar and spice and everything nice thing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, a broader range of studies (and ones not done by "Sexologists") pretty clearly show that this is not the case.

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(Today, 01:43 AM)

ZaCH3000

More women on earth than men = women more hornier than men.

So Julia is more hornier than me and I can't handle it. But I enjoyed it while it lasted. She leaves. So its all good. Megan wants a piece of me too until I can't handle her.

Rinse and repeat. I'm fine with this.

For serious: The opposite sexes are equally as horny. Its that simple. This study is stupid.

http://www.southalabama.edu/psychology/gordon/Baumeister(2000)SexualOrientation_Female.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jh...nepage&q=Sheila Murphy priests survey&f=false

From WebMD:

However, this can vary on a case by case basis. It is certainly possible for an individual woman to have a higher sex drive than an individual man, as sexual dimorphism in homio sapiens sapiens, unlike other subspecies of homo sapiens, is relatively muted.

This is the danger of looking at any individual study or article and coming to conclusions without looking at the larger body of evidence, which is fairly consistently contradictory to this claim.

Intriguing yet still.

Opiate

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(Today, 01:43 AM)

There are some great lessons to learn here, though!

For instance, when reading the Atlantic article, it is quickly clear that this is based on a book by a journalist -- not a scientist -- who has profiled the work of some "sexologists" -- which is not an actual scientifically protected term.

A sexual pathologist or a sociologist is a title that requires a degree. By contrast, literally anyone can claim to be a "sexologist" in the way that anyone can claim to be a "toothologist," but you can't randomly claim to be a "dentist."

That doesn't mean this news is automatically wrong, of course. But these are red flags that should make you skeptical, at least.

Az987

all good things
My girlfriend always wants to go again right after (like, within minutes) and I'm usually beat because I give it my all every time but I told her that if she wants it again, just take it and if she gets it started I'll finish it.

It's worked so far.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

For instance, when reading the Atlantic article, it is quickly clear that this is based on a book by a journalist -- not a scientist -- who has profiled the work of some "sexologists" -- which is not an actual scientifically protected term.

A sexual pathologist or even a sociologist is a title that requires a degree. Literally anyone can claim to be a "sexologist" in the way that anyone can claim to be a "toothologist," but you can't randomly claim to be a "dentist."

Believe me, I know! I do economics, and journalists are responsible for 95% of the bullshit in our field. The other 5% is made up statistics.

A sexual pathologist or even a sociologist is a title that requires a degree. Literally anyone can claim to be a "sexologist" in the way that anyone can claim to be a "toothologist," but you can't randomly claim to be a "dentist."

That doesn't mean this news is automatically wrong, of course. But these are red flags that should make you skeptical, at least.

Opiate, why must you do this all the time?!

ZaCH3000

A sexual pathologist or a sociologist is a title that requires a degree. By contrast, literally anyone can claim to be a "sexologist" in the way that anyone can claim to be a "toothologist," but you can't randomly claim to be a "dentist."

You have a great perspective. Props. Its hard to remain neutral online. I respect you for that.

ronito

Yeah I'd like to read more but I'm not so sure arousal = sex drive.

leadbelly

Banned

From WebMD:

Yeah. It seems like that is the case simply based on how irrational some men can be in terms of sex,

Opiate

I'd also like to point out that in very broad terms there is a lot of evidence to suggest that many of -- if not most of -- the differences we observe between typical male and female behavior are driven primarily by social construct. They are not innate inequalities between the genders.

For the most part, I've already absorbed this line of thinking, which is the current, progressive viewpoint: men and women are a lot more equal than our grandparents in the 50s and especially our great, great, grandparents in the 1860s would have believed. I feel like the next step in the discussion is: "Okay, so we're a lot more alike than we used to think. But are there any ways that we really are different?"

That line of questioning can be interesting in its own right. For example, we may turn some classic stereotypes on their heads. There is, for example, some evidence that women should, on average, make better fighter pilots than men do.

FyreWulff

Explain the following:

1. Female prostitutes outnumbering male prostitutes 1,000,000 to 1.

Because society has enforced the idea that men having sex is something we want all the time every second, so having sex with a man is 'worthless' but 'getting' a woman has worth because it reinforces your manliness

2. Bar population being 6 to 1 male to female.

Probably because only men were allowed to have a job to go to the bar with for ages, plus safety in general for them? Men generally don't have to worry about someone spiking their Barcardi with drugs. We're not even 40 years removed from women being told being beaten was normal. We still have businesses women cannot enter.

3. Men outnumbering women 3 to 1 on online dating sites.

See above, society has determined that women are to be persued and not the persuers. Women aren't allowed to be 'superior' at being horny.

blueICE

Banned
Interesting stuff!
Turns Out Women Have Really, Really Strong Sex Drives: Can Men Handle It?

what a retarded study. i'll sum it all up for ya.

some men have a higher libido at different times in their lives than some women.
some women have a higher libido at different times in their lives than some men.

libido depends on health, age, safety and security.
beyond love and affection the body still wants sex to continue the species.

Interesting stuff!
If Bergner is right, men's and women's libidos are far more similar than previously imagined.
well, doh... it's the same... it takes two to tango.
i'm glad Bergner could get paid for coming up with common knowledge. there is no mystery when
the planet is populated by 7 Billion people and continues to grow.

cdyhybrid

Interesting stuff!

More links to other reviews can be found at the source. There is also an interview with the author of the book at the Salon review; that can be found here.

A couple of the more interesting (to me) questions and answers:

Very interesting. Will be fascinating to see how this stuff (social norms) changes in the coming decades.

Quickly, back to women for a second, a quick example, if we can get a little graphic for a sec, about understanding the size and reach of the clitoris. We’ve been doing dissections of bodies for centuries, pretty effectively, but it wasn’t until very recently that there was any acknowledgment of extensions right underneath the surface of the skin — very rich in nerves, very primed for pleasure, reachable there through the vaginal walls — that rival the size of the penis; probably are greater than the size of the penis.

And now I'm sad.

I'd also like to point out that in very broad terms there is a lot of evidence to suggest that many of -- if not most of -- the differences we observe between typical male and female behavior are driven primarily by social construct. They are not innate inequalities between the genders.

For the most part, I've already absorbed this line of thinking, which is the current, progressive viewpoint: men and women are a lot more equal than our grandparents in the 50s and especially our great, great, grandparents in the 1860s would have believed. I feel like the next step in the discussion is: "Okay, so we're a lot more alike than we used to think. But are there any ways that we really are different?"

That line of questioning can be interesting in its own right. For example, we may turn some classic stereotypes on their heads. There is, for example, some evidence that women should, on average, make better fighter pilots than men do.

Even more fascinating.

Makes me miss Captain Marvel, a little. Wish it were good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I was under the impression that their libido matched, if not exceeded a mans, they definitely seem better at hiding it.

Just skip the obvious joke everyone.

Have you heard of the Norwegian series, "Hjernevask"? The claims of social scientists are pitted against the often, contradictory evidence put forth by those working in the natural sciences. The social scientists seem to be idealistic and pushing an agenda, unable to provide much substance for their arguments.

There is an episode specifically dealing with sex, in which one of these "sexologists" proposes the same stance made in the OP. As you pointed out though, there is reliable evidence refuting this.

For anyone that wants to watch it:
http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x1xv47_BrainwashingInNorway_hjernevask-english/

But, I think that both Meredith and I have started to wrestle with a simpler interpretation: that the physical responses, registered in the plethysmography, really might well be a measure of being turned on, being in a state of desire. So, with the range of things that she’s exposed women to in the lab — that would be straight women watching two women together, two men together, men and women, and of course, famously, two monkeys having sex — both straight and gay women have consistently responded very powerfully and immediately, physically, to all these kinds of images.

Only surprising thing in the entire article. Every girlfriend I've ever has been more aggressive sexually.

grumble

Yeah, I'm with opiate on this one. I've read a lot about this and there isn't strong evidence of women being as high sex drive as men are in general.

ciridesu

Turns out oh oh does it? Yeee here we go JB, yea I can handle it, yea yea I can handle it. I am stronger than you, taller than you, I am faster than you, my arms are bigger than you, yeeee.

Too many guys just suck at bed, hence they think the girl doesn't like sex. This would also explain, why females have a much higher variation in sex enjoyment -studies.

Log4Girlz

Anecdotally many girls I've known have much lower sex drives than nearly any man I've known. Not to say sme girls don't have very high sex drives, but it is far more common for girls to remain willingly celibate.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Explain the following:

1. Female prostitutes outnumbering male prostitutes 1,000,000 to 1.

2. Bar population being 6 to 1 male to female.

3. Men outnumbering women 3 to 1 on online dating sites.

It seems to me that there are many people who keep hyping women's sexuality because they believe that if women do not have as strong a sex drive as men, that somehow makes women inferior. As if having a high sex drive matters in any way. Woman can be equal to men without actually being the same as men. Male characteristics are not necessarily desirable or necessary for equality to exist.

i don't even know where to start with this bullshit but.... uh, first stop going to shitty bars? and stop online dating? that's probably a good start to straighten out your world view

kick51

Banned
i don't even know where to start with this bullshit but.... uh, first stop going to shitty bars? and stop online dating? that's probably a good start to straighten out your world view

3) learn to give good oral

4) learn to pay attention in the sack

menacin

Banned
I do think that women could have high libidos, but my baseless theory is that it only really happens for a minority of lucky guys.

yeh women are picky, if only they could have sex with everybody, then everybody would be happy.

men can be picky too. we all need to be having sex with everyone equally and fairly to end war and violence.

probably not

akira28

Maybe they should say more that women have the capacity for higher potential sex drive, if they weren't exercising so much prudence and caution.

Anecdotally many girls I've known have much lower sex drives than nearly any man I've known. Not to say sme girls don't have very high sex drives, but it is far more common for girls to remain willingly celibate.

They probably lie to you and are getting fucked on the regular, just don't want to be seen as sluts.

ChuyMasta

Yeah, I experienced this. One time I had to tell my wife to stop. I was all "no more, no more" when she wanted to go another round.

I love this woman!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I see a lot of words but I don't see the testing methodology etc. Someone link me.

Learn to read between the lines; The methodology may be saying "no" but the words say "YES!"

So why aren't they having sex with me?
Because your first name is Cow.
I laughed out loud!

No comments on the rape fantasy? I found it agreeable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4hNaFkbZYU

edit: Also, smh at all of you.
Clearly the correct conclusion from this article is that women should be having more sex with monkeys.

Oh they want sex. Just not with their own man.
Almost every woman or girl i see or hear speak is always sick and tired of her boyfriend/ man.

Either those men are doing some horrible shit or the women are just unable to be happy and satisfied.

Sexologist? Is this a joke.

Edit:

From WebMD:

Apparently it is a joke.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, I experienced this. One time I had to tell my wife to stop. I was all "no more, no more" when she wanted to go another round.

I love this woman!
Women have no refractory period. All you can do is hope they use that power for good and not evil.

That said, this article seems dubious.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I remember an OkCupid thing that showed women thought most men were ugly (the curve was heavily slanted towards the most attractive men) while men had a more balanced curve (more women were considered average, with few super hot/ugly ones).

It was pretty interesting.

To be fair, with women being more concerned with how they look than men are in general, I don't think it'd be a stretch to say those ratings aren't completely subjective.

Think about it. Not only are women much more aware of their appearance and the need to maintain it, a lot of men are just plain oblivious to such things.

I will do my best to live up to the expectations. My body is ready.

It's often said the best physical pairing would be between a 35-40 year old female and an 18-22 year old male ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom