• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out Women Have Really, Really Strong Sex Drives: Can Men Handle It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymerend

As a species, I'd say we're handling things generally well as there are round about 7 billion of us just kinda hanging out on the planet, with more on the way, typically.

But yes, everyone is different. Some women have crazy drives. Some men have crazy drives. Some people don't have any, and a whole lot of everyone else is sprinkled in between.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I like how they ignore women's stated arousal or desire, and instead decide for them if they are aroused because they know better than the women themselves.

dudes need time to recharge.

I agree with you. But the article didn't cite the studies involved. I would assume they are described in his book.

What also rubs me the wrong way is the very marked gender studies-like terminology and some stupid off-topic remarks (e.g. on pay equality).

Well, I second the notion behind the article. I'm a female and have far higher of a sex drive than most men I meet. Naturally, I can't speak for all women but I agree that it's a possibility. I hope it's at least more true than not. I feel most women are modest about sex unless behind closed doors. I am not suggestive but I am open to most questions. It's nothing to be ashamed about but women tend to hide their "lady-boners" for the purpose of modesty but frankly, I like sex just as much, if not more, than men.

Do you ever go out to parties/bars/etc looking to meet and sleep with a guy?

When you go out to social gatherings, and a decent-looking man approaches you, do you tend to shoot him down?

If you're on the dance floor, and a guy tries to initiate dancing with you, do you go for it, or do you circle up with your girlfriends and shut him out?

Maybe you're an exception, but my (and countless other men's) real world observations just don't fit with the results of this study.

Edit: I see you actually addressed some of this in earlier posts.

Well it's easy when there's an ocean between you and Dastardly.

DrcGq.gif

akira28

dudes need time to recharge.

15 minutes. just break for coffee and cigarettes. read the liner notes. men are just convenient, ladies. entertainment systems, really.

If only society didn't think of sex as being dirty. More women would let it out.

sex is kind of dirty. think about it. sex unrelated to you is pretty undesirable. 2 people you don't find attractive, having sex on your desk, is kinda gross.

I remember an OkCupid thing that showed women thought most men were ugly (the curve was heavily slanted towards the most attractive men) while men had a more balanced curve (more women were considered average, with few super hot/ugly ones).

It was pretty interesting.

It was the other way around. The most attractive women recieved by far the most messages with a strong correlation between attractiveness and messages. For men it was mostly even except for the least attractive men who recieved pretty much nothing.

When you go out to social gatherings, and a decent-looking man approaches you, do you tend to shoot him down?

If you're on the dance floor, and a guy tries to initiate dancing with you, do you go for it, or do you circle up with your girlfriends and shut him out?

Maybe you're an exception, but my (and countless other men's) real world observations just don't fit with the results of this study.

-No. I don't go looking. I'm there to chill, I'm not out on the prowl for D.

-It's depending on how he approaches me. Generally, I'd like to give the guy a chance and see what comes out of his mouth first.

-I don't have "girlfriends". It's really lame to go out and just be surrounded by ladies whom spend their time complaining about boys and are looking for boys to complain about. Even so, (if by some chance) I'm out dancing and a guy tries to initiate dancing with me, it's depending on how he dances. If you immediately try to grab my lumps and starting rubbing dick all over me, I'm not into it. Fondling my lumps isn't dancing.
(Also if the first sentence out of your mouth has some kind of pet name "baby, dollface, babe, honey, whateverthefuck" it is most certainly not happening.)

I also just don't go out to clubs. I'm down to hang out at bars but clubs are really not my kinda scene. I'm not into the whole sweaty pit of grinding on each other to terrible music thing.

charsace

15 minutes. just break for coffee and cigarettes. read the liner notes. men are just convenient, ladies. entertainment systems, really.

sex is kind of dirty. think about it. sex unrelated to you is pretty undesirable. 2 people you don't find attractive, having sex on your desk, is kinda gross.
Shhh, don't ruin my post. :(

I can absolutely believe that being in the role of the approached person makes you more choosy. If women were lining up, why wouldn't I pick the most attractive ones?

Innate differences are still very likely, due to how reproduction works (huge investment for female, tiny investment for male), and the roles during approach certainly won't account for all the differences.

e.g.: In a study where male researchers approached women and female researches approached men and asked them if they were DTF, men were still a lot more willing to fuck a total stranger than women. Can't remember the percentages but IIRC the difference was huge.
Might be social conditioning, might be innate, probably a mixture of both.

College study, was it not? And I'd guess both as well.

JordanKZ

Clearly, I've had bad luck. I've been in two short term, two long term relationships and in all of them I've been the one with the considerably higher sex drive...

J2 Cool

To say that women want sex and are afraid of being slut-shamed while men want sex but are afraid of being rejected falsely posits that these are equally consequential experiences. "Slut-shaming" serves as both a precursor and an excuse for sexual violence. "She was asking for it," the classic defense of the rapist, is based on the assumption that a woman who instigates a sexual encounter, "deserves" whatever ill treatment she gets. As real as men's anxiety about being "shot down" might be, it's hardly comparable to women's equally justifiable fear of rape. Margaret Atwood's famous remark that "men are afraid that women will laugh at them; women are afraid that men will kill them" clarifies that distinction nicely.

The whole article seems questionable with its conclusions, but especially this bit. If this is influencing women's behaviors so much, wouldn't the best solution be for the woman to approach more men as to establish themselves the aggressor. Isn't a man who is the agressor and one to approach more likely a threat? I don't know, this whole article's weird. I think "people are people"" is a lot more dependable a theory.

I gotta agree with that article. Women are fucking animals. In a good way, admins. Don't ban me!

edit: When I say animals I mean that they just can't get enough. The women who've said that they love me can go on for hours and then wait like an hour and then want to go at it again. I need my Dota breaks! :(

Orayn

I was always taught that men want women for sex and women want men for love. The whole sugar and spice and everything nice thing.

The timeframe in which you were taught things like that definitely falls under "recently." Look up hysteria, which was an actual diagnosis and a very common cultural belief, to get an idea of what Tech was talking about.

Edit: I see you actually addressed some of this in earlier posts.

What do any of these have to do with having a higher sex drive? Does wanting more sex always = wanting a one night stand?

Some perspective from the other side of that.

I just don't wanna know that much about you.

haha, fair enough. I'd never bring it up out of context, so it's even more awkward for me when someone else says something but when I open my mouth suddenly it's gross.

Who cares? Because of things like labeling women as "whores", religion, and playing mind games with a partner it's not like that drive is going to manifest itself with any bit of consistency whatsoever.

ArjanN

All of these examples are related to how often sexuality is displayed, not sex drive itself.

I'm sure there are a wealth of reasons why women are less reluctant to be sexual, and none of them are related to sex drive.

Eh, if they have as large a sex drive as men, but are less reluctant to be sexual the end result is kind of the same.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yes. Men want sex so much that they actively seek it out with complete strangers. Women who do that regularly are in the minority.

Women don't seek that out as much not necessarily because they have a lower sex drive, but because they don't need to. They get approached often enough outside of places like that.

Apath

Women don't seek that out as much not necessarily because they have a lower sex drive, but because they don't need to. They get approached often enough outside of places like that.
Not all women get approached.

EDIT: Actually I can't think of a single category where a women would get approached less than a man would. So nevermind.

And at the end of the night, most of them don't go home with a guy.

If women's sex drive were actually comparable to men's, everybody would be pairing off all the time, and I mean all the damn time.

Women have a high sex drive in a relationship? Sure (I wonder if that's even connected to hormones pushing them to increase the chances of getting pregnant as soon as they feel they secured a good partner :p )

So this doesn't mean anything, as
1) women don't act on it otherwise
2) the ones who do can basically fuck anyone they want, so that gives me a lot of competition ;)

FyreWulff

And at the end of the night, most of them don't go home with a guy.

If women's sex drive were actually comparable to men's, everybody would be pairing off all the time, and I mean all the damn time.

You're assuming the incorrect position that men are at maximum sex drive by default, and it's the woman that isn't matching theirs.

Orayn

And you don't think this has anything to do with slut-shaming, fear of pregnancy, rape and stds, or not needing to seek out complete strangers?

As with pretty much every thread about gender differences (or lack thereof), people continue to do an amazing job of conflating cultural attitudes with COLD HARD BIOLOGICAL TRUFAX, usually on the basis of anecdotes. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad and infuriating.

And you don't think this has anything to do with slut-shaming, fear of pregnancy, rape and stds, or not needing to seek out complete strangers?

Sure. All those factors come together to diminish a woman's applied sex drive.

All the theoretical sex drive in the world doesn't matter if you can't use it because of bottlenecks somewhere in the process.

You're assuming the incorrect position that men are at maximum sex drive by default, and it's the woman that isn't matching theirs.

That position isn't incorrect.

Edit: look, argue against me all you want. It's nice to create models that you think explain how the world works. But if real world observations don't match what your model predicts, it isn't the real world that's in error.

Sure. All those factors come together to diminish a woman's applied sex drive.

All the theoretical sex drive in the world doesn't matter if you can't use it because of bottlenecks somewhere in the process.

But how is any of that relevant if a woman is in a relationship, casually dating someone, or sleeping with a friend-with-benefits etc? Sure it may diminish a women's desire to sleep with strangers, but I don't think that translates to a lower sex drive.

Edit: look, argue against me all you want. It's nice to create models that you think explain how the world works. But if real world observations don't match what your model predicts, it isn't the real world that's in error.

Are these "real world observations" trying to pick up women at clubs, or sleeping with women?

FyreWulff

That position isn't incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Crimes_of_Kabul

Also, your observations are based off a society that doesn't have parity for obtaining sex in the first place, regardless of the actual sex drive.

But how is any of that relevant if a woman is in a relationship, casually dating someone, or sleeping with a friend-with-benefits etc? Sure it may diminish a women's desire to sleep with strangers, but I don't think that translates to a lower sex drive.

Because if something is only true in certain situations, that's a lot different from something being true all the time.

Edit: WTF does anything from Afghanistan have to do with this discussion?

Are these "real world observations" trying to pick up women at clubs, or sleeping with women?

I'm not even sure why you're pursuing this argument. But if you must, then here. Real world observation: in a college bar filled with mostly decent to good looking people, a substantial majority of girls and a substantial majority of guys will go home alone or with friends every night. It's not the same people in the bar every night, but the outcome is the same.

If, in this alcohol-fueled, dance music-blasting smorgasbord of good-looking people, the average woman wanted sex as much as the average man, then considerably fewer of those people would be going home alone.

I don't see how this is even arguable. I'm 99% sure there have been comedy videos on youtube exploring the idea of some hypothetical world where guys' and girls' sex desire was reversed.

TUROK

Unfortunately, a broader range of studies (and ones not done by "Sexologists") pretty clearly show that this is not the case.

http://www.southalabama.edu/psychology/gordon/Baumeister(2000)SexualOrientation_Female.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jh...nepage&q=Sheila Murphy priests survey&f=false

From WebMD:

However, this can vary on a case by case basis. It is certainly possible for an individual woman to have a higher sex drive than an individual man, as sexual dimorphism in homio sapiens sapiens, unlike other subspecies of homo sapiens, is relatively muted.

This is the danger of looking at any individual study or article and coming to conclusions without looking at the larger body of evidence, which is fairly consistently contradictory to this claim.
This is what I've read before, and this is what I'm much more inclined to believe.

Of course, like you say, it varies between individuals. Anecdotally, I'd consider myself to have a very high sex drive, but the idea of having multiple partners does not appeal to me in the least. I would assume that there is a biological component to the difference in sex drive between men and women, but there's more to it than just biology. It's merely one of many factors that comprises what makes us us, and what makes us horny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom