• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft unveils "The Virtuous Cycle of Live" Tri-Force diagram about service games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I felt this amazing diagram deserved its own thread.

triforceo5srt.png

There are many other great diagrams and images in the PDF itself, like the below: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit..._180216-site_tcm99-239259_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Steel

Banned
I love how in the second pyramid you have a bunch of copy and paste dudes with goatees and one little girl with pigtails randomly on top.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Eww. It's missing an arrow of me getting the hell out of that cycle. I'll leave it to the army of goatee-sporting dudebro clones, thank you.

Come on Ubi, can't you at least release Beyond Good and Evil 2 before starting this infernal cycle? :(

Anno

Dota, GW2 and Path of Exile have definitely sold me on the game-as-service model when done well so I'm really interested to see where everyone takes it with all these upcoming games. I think you could even do single player games well, though they probably have to be of the mechanics-heavy nature.

b1fiu0qpdk7d0khhd1pb.gif

Honestly you only need to look at the state of Heroes VII to understand how little fucks Ubisoft gave just three months ago. R6 also had some terrible issues like hit registration, low tick rate and bugs... That game is at least fixed where H7 is probably forever a garbage.

kAmui-

Just to think somebody gets paid (probably quite well) to come up with stuff like this.

What does DAU stand for? Daily active users?

For some reason this is so dystopic

Indeed.

But at the same time, it only matters if you follow the largest publishers.

There's an ever growing middle class of devs now that services us who have little interest in this games a service crap.

Compsiox

Banned
b1fiu0qpdk7d0khhd1pb.gif

Honestly you only need to look at the state of Heroes VII to understand how little fucks Ubisoft gave just three months ago. R6 also had some terrible issues like hit registration, low tick rate and bugs... That game is at least fixed where H7 is probably forever a garbage.

I also feel like they don't care about the hackers in the higher ranks of Seige.

DrWong

It's like the graph comes directly from the next "kult" part of the AC meta story.

And now we're just missing the archi-villain,Bolloré, who want the power of the holy ARPU/DAU GRAPH for his own sect.

Jito

Banned
This is right approach for the Division that Bungie failed at with Destiny. With Destiny there's poor live team support and a poor feed of content for the game which was promised before launch. If Ubisoft can actually support the Division with continued content updates then props to them.

kAmui-

untitled76z60.png

Wait. Does this mean that they are working on Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Watch Dogs movies? Was this known before?

Quicknock

Banned
For some reason this is so dystopic
Capitalism in action, folks.

As gross at this seems for a lot of people, this is the inevitable end result of a system that's entirely focused on self-maximizing. Don't like it? Well, you know where the problem is... :)

stb

LOL, big business amirite? /s

While I totally see the fun in being jaded by stuff like investor presentations, the concepts represented by this diagram are 100% reasonable.

- Live Content for Activities should/will drive DAU (daily active users).
- Engagement in Activities should/will drive time spent by those DAU.
- Engagement in the Content should/will bring a return on investment.
- All those things together should/will drive ARPU (avg revenue per user), creating value for the company.

Arguing against this means you disagree that "games as a service" need new content in order to keep users engaged and willing to spend money on an ongoing basis (e.g. expansions, microtransactions, etc.), thereby increasing the AVERAGE amount users spend.

You only need to look to Destiny's lack of ongoing content to see why this is true.

EDIT: I also don't see why anyone would make fun of the slide about having editorial, marketing, sales, and development all on the same page to contribute to user engagement. Would you rather the marketing people be ignorant about what is going on with development?

Dame

This indeed. Every game as a service, 'share with your friends' popup every 5 seconds, DLC and microtransactions everywhere...

This is deeply disturbing and riddled with corporate PR buzzword speak to make it seem easy to swallow.

"engagement" and "value" have me puzzled as to their next money-making prospects.

The time spent bit has me wondering how they'll needlessly pad their features for game time. Pardon the doom & gloom sentiment. It's just that these pervasive business practices can lead one to becoming so cynical. It's clear they aren't driven by the art that the developers working for them are. Then again, that is a corporation.

This world is so surreal sometimes. Feels like living in a running parody where you're the one who just doesn't get it.

Top Bottom