• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: The largest new IP launches of all time are #1 Destiny, #2 Watch Dogs, #3 AC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So there was some initial debate between Activision and Ubisoft about whether Destiny or Watch Dogs had the bigger launch, and given this comes from Ubisoft, I'll take this as confirmation it was Destiny.

biggestips81s5h.png

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit..._180216-site_tcm99-239259_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Splatoon got robbed

So what's after those three? Was the orginal Call of Duty super big? I don't really remember. I guess Halo would be up there and so would Super Mario

Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Duck Hunt, (arguably) Super Mario Bros. and Galaga are cry.

Though I dunno how much of their success is "at launch", however that's defined.

zelas

I bet Sony is happy riding this third party wave. Exclusives seem to be mattering less and less to most people and I completely understand it.

Shadous

Neo Member
Are they touting this because they've got confidence The Division will come out on top upon release? They've got to have some good forecasting numbers.

Launch revenue.

Well, sure, but I guess you can look at this as me criticizing the use of "all-time" for figures like these when 30 years ago you wouldn't have even used those metrics (which makes it nigh-impossible to draw accurate all-time comparisons).

As well as me criticizing the idea that the "launch period" for a new IP is sufficient to define the "launch" of the IP instead of the evergreen sales.

antitrop

Watch_Dogs was so fucking lucky to release right smack dab in the middle of two different versions of GTA V. Might have been the most clutch game delay in history.

King_Moc

Banned
Wait, so this is just the revenue generated in the first week?

What's the point of it then? I just seems like a celebration of fear of missing out culture. It's far harder to create an evergreen title.

Ridley327

Are they touting this because they've got confidence The Division will come out on top upon release? They've got to have some good forecasting numbers.

They already stated that they expect that game to be among the largest launches of a new IP. It's running virtually uncontested for March releases, so it's got a pretty good shot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, so this is just the revenue generated in the first week?

What's the point of it then? I just seems like a celebration of fear of missing out culture. It's far harder to create an evergreen title.
The two bars Ubisoft has historically used are either launch week revenue or number of units sold within the first fiscal year of the title.

This one I'm pretty sure is launch week revenue, but I think that'd be the same list for first fiscal year units.

Feichaw

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call bullshit.

The answer is Super Mario Bros.

Blockbuster is a measure of commercial success, not capital investment

I don't think Super Mario was a new IP. Mario itself was in Donkey Kong, and there was that Mario Bros. game as well.

thebloo

I thought for sure GTA 5 would be #2. Could someone explain why it wasn't? I mean, I thought every financial figure associated with the game's initial launch was huge.

Wait, is this graph's context only for the eighth generation?

New IP = first game launching.

IvanJ

Banned
I thought for sure GTA 5 would be #2. Could someone explain why it wasn't? I mean, I thought every financial figure associated with the game's initial launch was huge.

Wait, is this graph's context only for the eighth generation?

They are talking about new IPs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Things like Wii Sports and The Sims are very large over time, which is why they use launches in charts like this, since they make core games primarily.

Some Nobody

Damn that's incredible i wonder if watch dogs 2 will match that or fall under. Was last gen an important factor in this?

As I recall, less than 20%. So...not really. I can easily see it matching first game's sales. If they surpass, well...that's a sign people really DO ignore reviews/word of mouth.

Wait all I feel like I have been hearing is negative talk about the Division.
Do you guys feel like its going to be good now?

Or are you just saying it will be big regardless because of Ubisofts marketing.

ps3ud0

So what's after those three? Was the orginal Call of Duty super big? I don't really remember. I guess Halo would be up there and so would Super Mario
I expect Titanfall

Personally I get the feeling people are hyped for it but are apprehensive after what happened with Destiny.

I expect it to do well - especially after what seems to be a solid beta

ps3ud0 8)

antitrop

I think whether it's good or not will come down to how much you can get out of the Dark Zone for an end-game.

I could see it being another Diablo III/Destiny launch situation where people race to the end-game and get extraordinarily disappointed.

Top Bottom