• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: The largest new IP launches of all time are #1 Destiny, #2 Watch Dogs, #3 AC

As I recall, less than 20%. So...not really. I can easily see it matching first game's sales. If they surpass, well...that's a sign people really DO ignore reviews/word of mouth.
O yea they should be good. It may surpass it. If they fix it up a bit watch dogs could be huge(more than it already is)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh wow I missed this.
Quite a turnaround when it seemed like every thread was talking about the game coming out and bombing.

Personally I feel it rather successfully makes a product that has both the Borderlands/Diablo/Destiny style PvE loot game and a more approach version of a DayZ-esque competitive mode with loot as well.

The former is almost always a hit, even with smaller products like Dragon Ball XenoVerse, and the latter is popular, but new to the AAA space.

I suspect it will have some content shortages, but overall I'm pretty bullish on the game's sales potential. People seemed to really like the beta as well.

I think whether it's good or not will come down to how much you can get out of the Dark Zone for an end-game.

I could see it being another Diablo III/Destiny launch situation where people race to the end-game and get extraordinarily disappointed.

I know so little about the game at this point but I disconnected from looking into it because the times I did jump into the beta thread it seemed a lot of people said the gunplay was really weak which say what you want about Destiny that game was only fun to me because the shooting felt so solid.

Personally I feel it rather successfully makes a product that has both the Borderlands/Diablo/Destiny style PvE loot game and a more approach version of a DayZ-esque competitive mode with loot as well.

The former is almost always a hit, even with smaller products like Dragon Ball XenoVerse, and the latter is popular, but new to the AAA space.

I suspect it will have some content shortages, but overall I'm pretty bullish on the game's sales potential. People seemed to really like the beta as well.

I truly had no idea it was getting such positive reactions. A Day-Z esque type game sounds quite intriguing though. I am definitely going to have to look into it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I truly had no idea it was getting such positive reactions. A Day-Z esque type game sounds quite intriguing though. I am definitely going to have to look into it.

Mind, it's boiled down a bit to fit more in a loot game.

You enter this area where you can pick up contaminated, but powerful items, but you have to extract them a helicopter points (that take 1.5 minutes to finish and alert the whole zone) and other players can kill you and take them. You also get currency you can trade for really powerful items by going around and doing things or taking down players who killed other players for their loot. There are also a bunch of hard AI enemies around the place.

Ridley327

Oh wow I missed this.
Quite a turnaround when it seemed like every thread was talking about the game coming out and bombing.

I feel like a lot of people don't realize how wide-open March has become after all the delays. The only other big multiplatform titles for the month are EA Sports UFC 2 and Hitman, and there's not much hype for either of those. Oddly enough, the biggest exclusives for the month are on the Wii U.

Mind, it's boiled down a bit to fit more in a loot game.

You enter this area where you can pick up contaminated, but powerful items, but you have to extract them a helicopter points (that take 1.5 minutes to finish and alert the whole zone) and other players can kill you and take them. You also get currency you can trade for really powerful items by going around and doing things or taking down players who killed other players for their loot. There are also a bunch of hard AI enemies around the place.

This is so crazy I had no idea the game was like that. Is there an exploration aspect to the game or is it more closed in like Destiny?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is so crazy I had no idea the game was like that. Is there an exploration aspect to the game or is it more closed in like Destiny?

Kind of? It's a big continuous open world, though usually your objectives are marked. There are some random things around though, especially in the dark zone, where you can find chests with loot in them or things like that. In the PvE area it's more collectibles type of stuff or resources to build up your base and unlock new skills/talents/crafting recipes/etc.

The PvE and PvP sections of the game also have separate leveling systems though you can share loot and abilities between them. The dark zone is level banded to facilitate that.

Kind of? It's a big continuous open world, though usually your objectives are marked. There are some random things around though, especially in the dark zone, where you can find chests with loot in them or things like that. In the PvE area it's more collectibles type of stuff or resources to build up your base and unlock new skills/talents/crafting recipes/etc.

The PvE and PvP sections of the game also have separate leveling systems though you can share loot and abilities between them. The dark zone is level banded to facilitate that.

So in the Dark Zone is where your going to run into PvP primarily right? Are you just randomly running into people or does it start a match or something?

So in the Dark Zone is where your going to run into PvP primarily right? Are you just randomly running into people or does it start a match or something?
You randomly run into people and at that point you even watch your back,team up or go your separate ways its a game of trust the stranger essentially its awesome and terrifying

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's like a DayZ style map. You run into other players without warning and decide whether or not to shoot each other. No matches or matchmaking,

Rembrandt

Banned
Well, sure, but I guess you can look at this as me criticizing the use of "all-time" for figures like these when 30 years ago you wouldn't have even used those metrics (which makes it nigh-impossible to draw accurate all-time comparisons).

As well as me criticizing the idea that the "launch period" for a new IP is sufficient to define the "launch" of the IP instead of the evergreen sales.

you're criticizing the proper ways, though.

you're criticizing the proper ways, though.

The "proper way" to make a comparison across more than 30 years of games industry history is to use metrics that weren't even widely measured and reported on (and relevant) 30 years ago?

In most other circles, you'd call that "shifting the goalposts."

That sounds awesome. Dang you guys are getting me excited.

Last question, what was up with all the comments I saw about the gunplay feeling weak. Was there any truth to that?

Last question, what was up with all the comments I saw about the gunplay feeling weak. Was there any truth to that?
Not that i know of no. Th biggest fear i saw was bullet sponge enemies and that was dispelled with the beta. Btw theres an open beta if u wanna try it. Open now for xbox, open tomorrow 7amest for pc and ps4

Honestly it felt that way at the beginning for me, but after playing for several hours and acquiring more powerful guns, I adapted to it quickly and they feel a lot better. I think some of the bullet spongey (its an RPG after all) enemies have to do with the feel of it too. They're not all like that but the higher level enemies do a bit.

And get on gchat damn it! Been 2 weeks bruh. ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, it's an RPG, so if your weapon becomes notably dated or you're max level and fighting people with endlessly better gear, they probably seem really tanky.

I didn't personally have issues with it, but I could imagine where some people might.

It might make sense to try the Dark Zone at Level 7 first (I think the max beta level is still 8) since it removes all the people who play 20 hours straight and have the best gear before anyone else.

Honestly it felt that way at the beginning for me, but after playing for several hours and acquiring more powerful guns, I adapted to it quickly and they feel a lot better. I think some of the bullet spongey (its an RPG after all) enemies have to do with the feel of it too. They're not all like that but the higher level enemies do a bit.

And get on gchat damn it! Been 2 weeks bruh. ;)

Oh man awesome I am down.
Bro I tried to msg you yesterday did you not get it!

Well, it's an RPG, so if your weapon becomes notably dated or you're max level and fighting people with endlessly better gear, they probably seem really tanky.

I didn't personally have issues with it, but I could imagine where some people might.

It might make sense to try the Dark Zone at Level 7 first (I think the max beta level is still 8) since it removes all the people who play 20 hours straight and have the best gear before anyone else.

I don't care about the bullet spongeness(ha what even is that) I am more curious if it felt really good to just run around you know. Guns feel heavy and movement feels responsive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't care about the bullet spongeness(ha what even is that) I am more curious if it felt really good to just run around you know. Guns feel heavy and movement feels responsive.
It felt good to me, though I'll note I played it on PC, so I was running at 60 FPS and using a mouse instead of a controller.

It definitely felt better than Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which I was playing around the same time.

I wouldn't really give them props for Assassin's Creed 1 or Watch Dogs, personally.
Eh that's alright if that's your opinion im fine with it. I personally despise destiny but i wouldn't take anything away from it. Its a massive new ip that did well no way to dance around that people like the games

What defines a launch ip? This data is skewed so may ways. If they mean first week last of us is in the top three. If they mean total sales where is wii sports? As its total sales beat any of the first titles of those games for total sales.

It felt good to me, though I'll note I played it on PC, so I was running at 60 FPS and using a mouse instead of a controller.

It definitely felt better than Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which I was playing around the same time.

If you had to compare the movement to another game what would you say it plays most like?

Pacotez

Kinda sad AssCreed began so many years ago and it's still in the top three... Wonder how long it'll stay there?

AssCreed and Destiny at least had ambition and innovation. Sure the industry and ubisoft itself made the open world and collectibles stuff very bad gaming memes but not the games fault.

What is really sad is Watch Dogs being there. It's just a really really bad GTA

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you had to compare the movement to another game what would you say it plays most like?
It's been a few weeks since I've played it, but I can probably get back to you on Friday after I play some more. It's a pretty standard third person shooter for walking around, vaulting, and taking cover.

I should probably mention there's a second open beta going on right now if you want to try it that extends through the weekend.

It's been a few weeks since I've played it, but I can probably get back to you on Friday after I play some more.

I should probably mention there's an open beta going on right now if you want to try it that extends through the weekend.

Yeah I just saw some guys say that Ill grab it on X1.

Three games that completely failed to live up to their promise at launch.

Go figure.

Given time they could all be great though. Definitely interested to see how Watch_Dogs 2 goes.

Shadoken

Lmao this is like some skewed figure to impress investors. What exactly are they defining by launch ? Only Day1? first month? first year? Thats not really fair since that and simultaneous Worldwide releases never really took off until last gen. Games were never as front loaded before.

Kinda unfair to the 30 years of gaming before it. Huge games like Pokemon launched months later in different regions. Mario and Sonic were literally responsible for the increased sales of their respective systems. Cant really do great launch numbers when your game is the one thats pushing units.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
AssCreed and Destiny at least had ambition and innovation. Sure the industry and ubisoft itself made the open world and collectibles stuff very bad gaming memes but not the games fault.

What is really sad is Watch Dogs being there. It's just a really really bad GTA
The shooting mechanics outclass the hell out of GTA, the less scripted more open level and mission design was also a huge plus. As well as the fantastic control scheme made stealth and navigation smooth as hell compared to GTAV's ridiculous animation priority. Had a lot of fun with both.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Splatoon got robbed

How Much Sold the First AC? Because if i Remember correctly it sold ~6 million no?

Splatoon shoul Sell 7 million LT, if not 6 million is absolutely The minimum.

So, when all is well and done, Splatoon will outsell The First Assassin's Creed.

EDIT: Launch revenue, i thought Ubisoft was talking about Sales.

Watch_Dogs was so fucking lucky to release right smack dab in the middle of two different versions of GTA V. Might have been the most clutch game delay in history.

It was a perfect release at the perfect time and place. If Ubisoft can deliver good marketing and a solid game in the sequel, they could have a new AC like sized franchise on their hands. Incredible timing combined with some solid marketing, really impressive launch.

The power of bullshit marketing and bait and switch trailers :/

I would say, that the majority of the people that bought Wach Dogs had no idea about the reveal trailer, the downgrade chaos and all that. The people in the know about that is such a small amount of the overall gaming populous.

I think people reacted to a cool concept, some strong key art and the game overall looking fun. It might not have been the best thing ever made in the history of games, but I would be surprised if people didn't have fun with it outside of the hardcore forum community.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Hype, baby. Is all bout dat hype.
Basically. None of the three games were anything special, and served as little more than proof of concept. They were successful because of the marketing, less so the game itself.

Top Bottom