• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: The largest new IP launches of all time are #1 Destiny, #2 Watch Dogs, #3 AC

AC is not a new IP anymore. It's been 8 years. Quit fooling around, Ubisoft.

Look at all these single releases by this new IP! Clearly belongs in the same category as Watch Dogs and Destiny.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy
Assassin's Creed: Recollection
Assassin's Creed: Multiplayer Rearmed
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Assassin's Creed: Pirates
Assassin's Creed Memories
Assassin's Creed Chronicles
Assassin's Creed Identity
Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy [CANNED]
Assassin's Creed: Utopia [CANNED]

EDIT: And now I understand what Ubisoft meant. My point still stands!
:p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The power of bullshit marketing and bait and switch trailers :/
What was switch bait about the WD and AC trailers again? You could do literally everything they said you'd be able to in both and advertised them heavily enough that you absolutely were informed about the product you were getting.

Which is why it's astounding that it still continues to be one of the most successful new IP launches ever in gaming history, and ofc you should already know this but...they weren't stating that AC is a new IP. Just that it was incredibly successful.

Watchdogs over AC?

What.
WD had better launch numbers than the first AC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Look at all these single releases by this new IP! Clearly belongs in the same category as Watch Dogs and Destiny.

...It's a reference to Assassin's Creed's 1 debut, which was at the time the largest New IP debut in history, and stayed so until Watch Dogs released a generation later.

...It's a reference to Assassin's Creed's 1 debut, which was at the time the largest New IP debut in history, and stayed so until Watch Dogs released a generation later.

Ah.

Ah! Makes a lot more sense now.

EDIT: How is it still number 3?! So baffling. Shows how much hype revolved around that game. It was an almost perfect game if you ignore the hardware limitations.

Which is why it's astounding that it still continues to be one of the most successful new IP launches ever in gaming history, and ofc you should already know this but...they weren't stating that AC is a new IP. Just that it was incredibly successful.

Yeah, you're right. I'm quite surprised that no other game have topped it since 2007. Looking at that, I wonder where "Guitar Hero" belongs. That was a quite successful new IP out of the blue.

Striek

Trying to figure what else would be up there...TLoU? Did Bioshock have a big debut?

How are they defining launch sales too?

Wait, so this is just the revenue generated in the first week?

What's the point of it then? I just seems like a celebration of fear of missing out culture. It's far harder to create an evergreen title.

Trying to figure what else would be up there...TLoU? Did Bioshock have a big debut?

How are they defining launch sales too?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-10-biggest-video-game-180438821.html

I'm not sure if it's first week numbers. The Last of Us sold better in first week than Assassin's Creed, if Yahoo is to be believed (1.3M vs 1.2M). Or maybe it is indeed the first week sales, and Ubisoft just didn't care about the 0.1M extra, and consider it a tie to make it look nicer in their PowerPoint.

Also, Red Dead Reception is ignored even though some folks may consider it a new IP than a sequel to Red Dead Revolver.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-10-biggest-video-game-180438821.html

I'm not sure if it's first week numbers. The Last of Us sold better in first week than Assassin's Creed, if Yahoo is to be believed (1.3M vs 1.2M). Or maybe it is indeed the first week sales, and Ubisoft just didn't care about the 0.1M extra, and consider it a tie to make it look nicer in their PowerPoint.

Also, Red Dead Reception is ignored even though some folks may consider it a new IP than a sequel to Red Dead Revolver.

That 1.3M for TLOU is from Chartz.

That 1.3M for TLOU is from Chartz.

Ah. So Yahoo is not to be believed. How much did it do according to NPD?

On a side note, looking at the PowerPoint, seems like Ubisoft's biggest bread and butter is and will be "MULTIPLAYER CENTRIC, OPEN WORLD, ACTION-ADVENTURE SHOOTER". Expect newer franchises to revolve around this.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Ah. So Yahoo is not to be believed. How much did it do according to NPD?

On a side note, looking at the PowerPoint, seems like Ubisoft's biggest bread and butter is and will be "MULTIPLAYER CENTRIC, OPEN WORLD, ACTION-ADVENTURE SHOOTER". Expect newer franchises to revolve around this.

It sold over 1 million First month in USA according to NPD.

For a comparation, Assassin's Creed has Sold almost 1.36 Million in November 2007 in USA, with 980,000 on 360 and 377,000 on PS3.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
There is no debate at all.

Destiny was a way way bigger launch than Watch_Dogs.

Watch Dogs has Sold 4 million first week, Destiny has sold 6.3 million first month.

One thing is sure, there is no way Destiny Launch was "way way" bigger.

They Are super Close.

AHA-Lambda

Sad sad list :/

tumblr_inline_mzytn31j5Q1sqobn9.gif

Without even knowing raw numbers, I can confidently state that Super Mario Brothers didn't even come close to the launch sale #s of Destiny, Watch Dogs, or Assassin's Creed.

Remember, it launched in Japan only. It was 2 full years later before it got a release elsewhere.

ethomaz

Banned
Watch Dogs has Sold 4 million first week, Destiny has sold 6.3 million first month.

One thing is sure, there is no way Destiny Launch was "way way" bigger.

They Are super Close.
They are not super close lol

Watch Dogs NPD: ~1.25m (no bundle included)
Destiny NPD: ~2.6m (no bundle included)

Watch Dogs GFK UK: 388k
Destiny GFK UK: 400k

These 4m units from Ubisoft are probably sell-in.

Destiny first week sell-in revenue: $500 million
Destiny first week sales revenue: $325 million

I'm sure there are a over 1 million different between these two in launch week sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
They are not super close lol

Watch Dogs NPD: ~1.25m (no bundle included)
Destiny NPD: ~2.6m (no bundle included)

Watch Dogs GFK UK: 388k
Destiny GFK UK: 400k

These 4m units from Ubisoft are probably sell-in.

Destiny first week sell-in revenue: $500 million
Destiny first week sales revenue: $325 million

I'm sure there are a over 1 million different between these two in launch week sales.

First NPD for Watch Dogs is 1 week, Destiny is 4 weeks.

And no, The numbers i posted for Watch Dogs Are Sold, not shipped.

Destiny was a bigger succes in USA, even by a huge margin yes, but in Europe outside UK ( were The difference is only 3/4% ) Watch Dogs was a bigger Game.

Indeed, Watch_Dogs remain The bigger new IP in Europe.

https://www.vg247.com/2014/09/25/wa...fastest-selling-new-ip-in-europe-not-destiny/

The numbers i posted before Are correct, it's 4m FW VS 6.3m FM.

Overall worldwide The Are Close. Destiny won by a small margin. You can't Say they aren't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's worth keeping in mind that Ubisoft is very strong in Europe.

As Ryng points out, Watch Dogs actually still had the bigger debut there than Destiny, and AC is stacked there too. They are the only major European publisher surviving.

BioShock and Guitar Hero were slow starters and TLOU wasn't super slow, but not super fast either.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Splatoon got robbed

lol...The first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title was those threads about whats the best new IP this gen. Splatoon was getting alot of love n those threads.

jroc74

Ppl mentioning Wii Sports...thats a good question.

Unless Wii Sports didnt do too well at launch and just had massive legs. Or they arent really counting bundles. Something.

FDC1

Ppl mentioning Wii Sports...thats a good question.

Unless Wii Sports didnt do too well at launch and just had massive legs. Or they arent really counting bundles. Something.

Nintendo sold a little more of 3M Wii by the end of 2006. Even with a ratio close of 1:1, Wii Sport launch is still way below Destiny

EGM1966

Watchdogs over AC?

What.

Launch they note so I presume that means reception and success for the first title not the entire run of the franchise.

TBH Watch Dogs I'm convinced was a case of right time/right place. Early in gen, open world and sort of "GTA lite" and little competition plus a lot of (miss-leading) early PR and marketing made it seem like it was going to be the big game to show power of this gen (a little like Gears last gen).

The game didn't really deliver on any front vs the promise but the timing and general perception at the time give it huge start.

Unless they really improve it I doubt a sequel released any time soon would see same success or review as well in current climate.

In short they got real lucky with Watch Dogs IMHO.

jroc74

Nintendo sold a little more of 3M Wii by the end of 2006. Even with a ratio close of 1:1, Wii Sport launch is still way below Destiny

I see. Thanks.

Ppl just need to realize times are changing. An online only game is the biggest new IP launch in history....

And I didnt want it just because it was online only. I chose LBP 3 out of the Pick 1 of 3 games bundle the PS4 had...

200_s.gif

Naw, I got it for the kids really....I wanted NBA2K.

Top Bottom