• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UbiSoft will remove "ableist text" from Assassin's Creed because a dude complained about it.

SLESS

Well that saves me some money, putting a line right through Ubisoft. Social media destroyed society giving idiots opinions relayed as facts. This game did not make his imaginary GF ugly.

McCarth

Once again, enforcing modern day standards to historical acts/depictions is so ironically asinine as over time all it will do is prevent the very thing that has made us who we are today.

I'm just astonished at how intellectually bankrupt this ultra-leftist perspective has become in just a few short years. Massive, unilaterally positive progress made over decades of blood and sweat and debate is slowly being lost in a hail of anonymous sanctimony.

mitch1971

Why do any of you care?

Because eventually as people like them get offended more and more by every little piece of entertainment, art, etc, they start chipping away at peoples choices every day, we will eventually be going from look at this....
1200px-%27David%27_by_Michelangelo_Fir_JBU002.jpg

to looking at this....

Thermal_Face.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder who will be the first developer to really push hard against this kind of demand for pandering. It has to happen, sooner or later.
That's easy none, you know corprations won't go against anything that would affect their stock and twitter mobs know how much a negative tag does to that.

Social media is cancer.

Last edited:
Imagine trying to create a piece of art and bending the knee to these people. Insane.

These companies need to ask themselves an important question. When it comes to these individuals being perpetually offended at anything, at what point do we (the company) draw the line?

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm surprised the twitter account was able to get the change approved, ratified and into the sprint cycle of the developers to be honest. Or they can make commitments of this scale on behalf of the devs.

Ready Player One - ashamed of birthmark

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
‘M’ for mature isn’t just a statement of ones age but also their emotional and intellectual maturity.

People suffering from illnesses that debilitate their mental state should also not be playing M-rated games.

Try some E-rated games, work with your therapist, and don’t go off your meds.

Barakov

So, apparently in AC Valhalla there's some flavor text about a burn victim being unhappy with being burnt. Sorry for the absolutely unnecessary Spanish translation, the page I got it from had it like this.

tyukytuiluyin.jpg

ergwergwertheyjertyj.jpg

Of course, the fact that an NPC might feel that being covered in burns is a bit shitty cannot be tolerated and must be rectified immediately.

sdfthgerthetykrtk.jpg

So here you go, if you don't like something about Valhalla complain about it and add some -isms and it will apparently be changed.
"Abelist Text"

iiPd8kC.jpg

MiguelItUp

I hate how common this is becoming. People "not liking something" or being "offended" by something so much so that they expect change. That sounds entitled as all hell, and fucking childish.

Honestly, if people like this can't handle any kind of content in a fictional world/universe, they probably shouldn't be playing games. Hell, or be on the internet for that matter.

NickFire

This shit needs to stop before these people push normals to elect Andrew Dice Clay as president in 2024 just to end it. Or Dave Chappelle. On second thought Chappelle 2024!

Someone post the pottery art from Odyssey...

All the in game NPCs talk like a Twitter thread about Beyoncé, the games are embarrassments at this point
Looked into it. They didn't change the actual artwork so it's not that egregious. Not sure where I stand on that. You can already choose to play a female Spartan
which never happened in history so it's not farfetched to have both genders in the classroom to explain why your character can be a female Spartan.
Regarding the dialogue, I don't know how bad you make it to be, but all media derived from Greek/Roman time has always depicted them to be
more moral or ethical than they actually were. Such as 300.

LordCBH

It might be a small change but where does it end. Everyone is offended by something, but most people ignore it and just go on with their lives. Let art be art.

Don't know who's more pathetic here, the dude complaining or Ubisoft.

Ubisoft is more pathetic for giving in to this lunatic.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ubisoft being Ubisoft..

We all know the list of examples has grown long over the recent years.. Ubisoft is a shitty activist company and every time I manage to avoid buying one of their games it makes me very happy.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So, apparently in AC Valhalla there's some flavor text about a burn victim being unhappy with being burnt. Sorry for the absolutely unnecessary Spanish translation, the page I got it from had it like this.

tyukytuiluyin.jpg

ergwergwertheyjertyj.jpg

Of course, the fact that an NPC might feel that being covered in burns is a bit shitty cannot be tolerated and must be rectified immediately.

sdfthgerthetykrtk.jpg

So here you go, if you don't like something about Valhalla complain about it and add some -isms and it will apparently be changed.

Cry some more.

tenor.gif

RaZoR No1

What went wrong with the people?
Why is everybody offended by everything?
If you cannot read texts like that due "insert any dramatic event from the past" just skip it...
Dont spoil or change the game for everyone else.
Are you gonna send claims to the producer of Hellrider or Fantastic Four too?

GrayChild

I hurt my knee yesterday. Was doing some house work.

BRB writing to Bethesda to remove the "took an arrow to the knee" part from Skyrim, as it reminds me of the pain and discomfort I experienced two days ago.

P.S. Oh, that "thing" wants to be referred to as "they/them".

Nah, I don't think I'll do that, DUDE.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

They can just modify the wording. The user who reported it referred to his gf as a "burn victim". So they can just reword the description accordingly. It's a nice gesture. I doubt they knew that the wording would be offensive when they made the game, so simple change of text should fix it.
They didn't know it was offensive becuase it isn't offensive
Those saying it's spineless, how would you feel if you suffered a disfigurement, and spent your life embarrassed and insecure, only to find that a game you want to play reminds you of those same feelings? Dude's gf probably has more courage than any of the keyboard gangsters complaining in this thread.

Ubisoft isn't guilty of being negligent. They didn't know, and now they know better. I personally never knew this stuff was an issue, but now I've learned as well. It's all part of the growing process. Hating a company for acknowledging a request, and helping their community is lame. Hate them if they ignored the request or dared to insult the user. This is a nice gesture.
There is always one goose stepper.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What are the odds that this guy has a burned face girlfriend who came in and saw this exact text at the moment this guy was reading it?

Very bad luck for they/them!

Freeman76

Fuck this stupid shit I would rather they remove the screen tear that loads of people are upset about and is unnacceptable on this level of hardware

Kuranghi

Congrats, you just reinforced your GF's waining insecurities by making a big deal out of it. Fucking moron.

Hiding away from all references to anything thats reminiscient of something bad that happened to you is not the way to heal. Plus, it sounded like she was over it, or at least getting over it from the wording of the tweet!

I know this sounds cheesy but maybe a better response would've been: "Remember when you felt like that, it would be good if you could tell her (The NPC from the text) how you got over it and just to live your life as you are with no regrets/worries". I'm guessing she didn't get over her burns by becoming a violent lunatic as in the game...

Nah in their addled mind a better thing to say was: "Oh god! I'm so sorry you had to see that, we need to remove this from the game so people won't ever have to think about situations different from their own".

FFS.

Wow you cant have a storyline, especially not one where realistic things happen like someone being disfigured is a BAD thing. I guess the text should have said " I was burned but because of my positive attitude nobody noticed, and no strife was faced, a non issue and no story here!"

Top Bottom