• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UbiSoft will remove "ableist text" from Assassin's Creed because a dude complained about it.

poodaddy

YqgY62e.jpg
Dude, seriously I legit feel this way. I live in the Seattle area, and I go to see my brother often. We were in the Army together and I love this dude, but his new woman's kid is a twelve year old self professed lesbian with green and purple hair who doesn't "identify" as either sex and finds damn near everything "problematic.". This is the guy who used to joke about traps and trannies with me in the Army, I mean nothing was off the table, we fucked with literally every one for basically any reason. It was great, and no one took it seriously, folks just laughed. Now I feel like I'm on egg shells every time I'm at his place.....fuckin sucks man. I miss being able to just clown on people without being accused of being ableist, racist, sexist, transphobic, or what ever other kind of ist or phobic there is out there. I just stay quiet now, as contributing is pointless if you think outside the established narrative.

This is game breaking, I'll wait for a disc version to be shipped with this horrible language patched out.

And why aren't the battlefields accessible by wheelchair in this game? All you see is a bunch of people running around, killing and maiming each other without regard for those who want in and can't walk to the battlefield.

Is my reaction intense enough?

Those saying it's spineless, how would you feel if you suffered a disfigurement, and spent your life embarrassed and insecure, only to find that a game you want to play reminds you of those same feelings? Dude's gf probably has more courage than any of the keyboard gangsters complaining in this thread.

I read multiple stories how people suffering from vitiligo were thrilled that Bethesda included it in Fallout 4. Hell, there's vitiligo options in Animal Crossing. You could say it's a disfigurement and it meets whatever bullshit criteria you've deemed need be worthy for a complaint. Should those people have bitched and moaned about it being in the game too? No? Know why? Because most people were taught that if something isn't for you, than move onto to something that is.

c71b3b55-97d7-4116-9b1e-6fbfa88d9fbb_tcm990-325680_w800_h640.jpg

It's not "I don't like something so YOU shouldn't have it". It's "I don't like something, so I should move on." Not everything is for everyone. Art especially.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ableist =/= burn victim?

Can any wheelchair people protest UBI so every game of theirs forces a character to use one? A manually pushed one too. No electric.

I want to see an Assassin's Creed character rolling a wheelchair down a cobblestone road.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It might be a small change but where does it end. Everyone is offended by something, but most people ignore it and just go on with their lives. Let art be art.

Don't know who's more pathetic here, the dude complaining or Ubisoft.
Ubisoft by far

But they must be terrified of yet another scandal so they are in extra cautious mode right now

SaiyanRaoh

Even though it's $15 and bad enough. I'm glad I didn't pay $60 for this game. I was playing via Ubisoft+.
We got a psychotic under-medicated, neurotic idiot at Kotaku that can't handle holes on her game system, triggered SJWs on Twitter that have made Ubisoft bend the knee twice so far in this new generation. BLM messages in Spiderman and more to come.....Its not looking here good guys.....

Last edited:
Dude, seriously I legit feel this way. I live in the Seattle area, and I go to see my brother often. We were in the Army together and I love this dude, but his new woman's kid is a twelve year old self professed lesbian with green and purple hair who doesn't "identify" as either sex and finds damn near everything "problematic.". This is the guy who used to joke about traps and trannies with me in the Army, I mean nothing was off the table, we fucked with literally every one for basically any reason. It was great, and no one took it seriously, folks just laughed. Now I feel like I'm on egg shells every time I'm at his place.....fuckin sucks man. I miss being able to just clown on people without being accused of being ableist, racist, sexist, transphobic, or what ever other kind of ist or phobic there is out there. I just stay quiet now, as contributing is pointless if you think outside the established narrative.

Society is so fucked when those people become of age.

j0hnnix

I wonder what Ricky Berwick and Cripdaddy have to say about this. Ubisoft sticks to the last part of the companies name.. soft. sadly , once you cater to one consumer base you end up disregarding the other. its sad this unknown person suffered but how can they be so affected by a fictional character, maybe I can not put myself in their shoes. Maybe there is a need for therapy for this person if they can not separate fiction character from themselves.

Boss Mog

So all it takes now is one comment from a mentally ill degenerate to get corporations to bend the knee. Fucking pathetic. And Ubi actually used the word "ableism" in their response :pie_eyeroll: . I was debating getting this game on PS5; looks like the debate is over.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Pv6sQSPT_400x400.jpg

Remember when people with dyed hair and mohawks used to be the ones offending others? Exercising transgressive rights and sticking up for free speech?

WTF happened?

Where as you and I see a dog in that picture, she sees a potential video game player. Accessibility for all!

Neff

When I was a kid, adults taught children how to be adults.

Now children are teaching adults how to be children.

Nickolaidas

I don't really mind or care if Ubisoft makes this change. If they genuinely feel that this person was hurt by that experience of their game then that's up to them to respond.

What I would like to see though is how far it could be reasonably pushed and where even companies like Ubisoft would draw the line.

For example the new Assassin's Creed is quite the violent game but a lot, A LOT, of people are victims of real life violence both directly and indirectly. Why no consideration for them?

So Ubosoft couldn't be pushed as far as banning guns from their games. Why not?

I'm playing as a Viking and so to some extent I am glorifying and role playing that violent and brutal history. This is fine. An NPC in the game is mad because of facial scars. This is over the line.

Where they draw the line seems so arbitrary.
They'll change anything which they believe will cost them in terms of sales.

sertopico

The rainbow-colored viking ship is more concerning.

Anyway, they should stop bending their knees as soon as somebody starts whining on the internet. Same happened with Odyssey's dlc where they had to change the ending cause there was an uprising on the ubisoft forums. Cassandra couldn't get pregnant because it was offensive. Go figure...

Last edited:

Aidah

What, a game can't have a character feel bad that their face is burned? And Ubisoft, it's like they're trying to create the most commercial-product feeling games ever.

Last edited:

Blam

I would understand this in Watch Dogs Legion, but Valhalla? You know VIKINGS would think this shit is badass, not fucking discriminate a burn victim. It's less a shit talking point and more of a damn you survived a burn attack, and you have a battle scar to prove it.

I mean shit at this point might as well cancel Norsemen cause one of their characters is a burn victim and was called a ballsack at one point.

We're in the fucking viking ages ffs.

nikos

I honestly have a headache trying to comprehend this abomination of a human being's logic, to the point where I can't even formulate a fucking response.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Ableist =/= burn victim?

Can any wheelchair people protest UBI so every game of theirs forces a character to use one? A manually pushed one too. No electric.

I want to see an Assassin's Creed character rolling a wheelchair down a cobblestone road.
I’m imagining the dive off a tower into hay but in a wheelchair

I love how this guy puts his girlfriend on blast for woke points. She probably doesn’t even care. His complaint is probably heroic in her eyes lmao

Changing the text for a single complaint on Twitter is pathetic. It’s not a “harmless gesture.” The text that’s being changed was what was harmless.

Shubh_C63

So if you create a living breathing open world game where NPC just live their day to day life, then there shouldn't be a single person on that game planet who is racist or sexist, or depressed, or amputated and hating it ? Forest gump anyone. Does Characters aren't even allowed to grow, they just gotta have their thing and stick with it ?

I am so glad the first post nailed it.

Nico_D

Why do any of you care?

I get my living as an artist and I won't tolerate anyone dictating what or how I express ideas or do characterization because it is my work, my art and my expression. Now, while it is Ubi's business do as they please, it is stupid to assume their example won't encourage people to do it even more and if it goes on long enough, I can see art stripped of it's freedom and put in tight shackles - and that is simply not art anymore.

Also, giving in to people complains means their personal hurt are actually a bigger thing than their actual PERSONAL thing which means they will even more outsource their hurt to companies and other people instead of, you know, handling their personal emotions like a healthy adult should: by and with themselves. Because that seems to be the problem with this certain group of people: they don't see their emotions as their own but something collective where their expect the collective to solve their emotional problem for them.

Honestly, that was the last straw for me. No more Ubi for me until they start to act like adult human beings instead of babysitters.

Top Bottom