• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UbiSoft will remove "ableist text" from Assassin's Creed because a dude complained about it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Read this in conjunction with this excerpt from the review of a new book about the Vikings in the Spectator:

This strange set of beliefs may have been complex, but it was also amoral and accepting of the worst kind of brutality. The Vikings conducted human sacrifice, in some cases involving children. They subjected captured women to lives of sexual slavery, and the account given by the Arab historian ibn Fadlan of a Viking funeral he witnessed is almost unbelievable in its depravity. The archaeological record fits his sickening description. Perhaps the horror of the spectacle is why guests at Viking funerals were sometimes known to drink themselves to death.

Iorv3th

Fuck these game journalists and everything they stand for. They are ruining this industry.

When stuff that is completely acceptable is being changed.... Especially when the game takes place in the viking era and they gave 0 fucks about your fee fees.

And of course this cuck company that is Ubisoft bends the knee... At the same time did you notice the new Uplay icon?

RHR62M4.png

Everything is clear for me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck is a face burn related to ableist shit? I thought ablahabluewah was about how people that are you know ABLE shit on people that aren't. AKA missing limbs yet they attribute it to literally anything. This came from reddit and spread to twitter I bet.

iconmaster

Banned
they're gonna need to hire a burned face person for the next one to avoid this kind of thing.

"This game was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs, with faces which are burned to various degrees."

These job descriptions get more demanding every year.

Kdad

I think we need to go back to feeding whiny people to the wolves.
As a wolf, I'm offended that you insinuate that whiny people are worthy of our refined palates. I've reported your senseless attack on my creed to the mods.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Read this in conjunction with this excerpt from the review of a new book about the Vikings in the Spectator:

This strange set of beliefs may have been complex, but it was also amoral and accepting of the worst kind of brutality. The Vikings conducted human sacrifice, in some cases involving children. They subjected captured women to lives of sexual slavery, and the account given by the Arab historian ibn Fadlan of a Viking funeral he witnessed is almost unbelievable in its depravity. The archaeological record fits his sickening description. Perhaps the horror of the spectacle is why guests at Viking funerals were sometimes known to drink themselves to death.

Bought

klosos

Really thats silly , one person says there offended , so Ubisoft change it for gods sake. Clown World

Obviously this is small however if every developer takes a step back everytime someone screams offence , it will hurt the medium longterm

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Dumb.

An awful complaint, a terrible capitulation, and a horrible precedent. Sad. It wasn't even "ableist" it was giving a character a backstory and a trauma to overcome.

Last edited:
Clown world.

"Dear Ubisoft, I am a huge fan of all of your games; your teams do a tremendous job. However, about 7 months ago an unfortunate accident happened to me and now I no longer have the ability to use my legs. Upon firing up Assassin Creed i was faced with playable characters and uncountable NPC's all walking and running. It made me sad and depressed. For a developer who is so socially conscious, i am left speechless as to how something so personally painful for me and others in similar circumstances could be put right in my face; almost like i was being mocked. I am not sure i will be able to play Assassins Creed again. Thanks for listening..."

Pagusas

Elden Member
They can just modify the wording. The user who reported it referred to his gf as a "burn victim". So they can just reword the description accordingly. It's a nice gesture. I doubt they knew that the wording would be offensive when they made the game, so simple change of text should fix it.

Those saying it's spineless, how would you feel if you suffered a disfigurement, and spent your life embarrassed and insecure, only to find that a game you want to play reminds you of those same feelings? Dude's gf probably has more courage than any of the keyboard gangsters complaining in this thread.

Ubisoft isn't guilty of being negligent. They didn't know, and now they know better. I personally never knew this stuff was an issue, but now I've learned as well. It's all part of the growing process. Hating a company for acknowledging a request, and helping their community is lame. Hate them if they ignored the request or dared to insult the user. This is a nice gesture.
Give it a rest, by your logic this whole game should be scraped as I’m sure there are people who have had friends or family murdered, and guess what you do all through this game?

Ps5ProFoSho

They can just modify the wording. The user who reported it referred to his gf as a "burn victim". So they can just reword the description accordingly. It's a nice gesture. I doubt they knew that the wording would be offensive when they made the game, so simple change of text should fix it.

Those saying it's spineless, how would you feel if you suffered a disfigurement, and spent your life embarrassed and insecure, only to find that a game you want to play reminds you of those same feelings? Dude's gf probably has more courage than any of the keyboard gangsters complaining in this thread.

Ubisoft isn't guilty of being negligent. They didn't know, and now they know better. I personally never knew this stuff was an issue, but now I've learned as well. It's all part of the growing process. Hating a company for acknowledging a request, and helping their community is lame. Hate them if they ignored the request or dared to insult the user. This is a nice gesture.
If every complaint was listened to games would barely exist. It has to stop somewhere.

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't really mind or care if Ubisoft makes this change. If they genuinely feel that this person was hurt by that experience of their game then that's up to them to respond.

What I would like to see though is how far it could be reasonably pushed and where even companies like Ubisoft would draw the line.

For example the new Assassin's Creed is quite the violent game but a lot, A LOT, of people are victims of real life violence both directly and indirectly. Why no consideration for them?

So Ubosoft couldn't be pushed as far as banning guns from their games. Why not?

I'm playing as a Viking and so to some extent I am glorifying and role playing that violent and brutal history. This is fine. An NPC in the game is mad because of facial scars. This is over the line.

Where they draw the line seems so arbitrary.

Aion002

This is amazing!

Playing in a setting that is based on real events about invaders murdering, raping and pillaging kingdoms under the Invaders pov is fine.... An npc being traumatized by a scar is bad.

That's some next level Twilight Zone.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
They fix this but won't fix the screen tearing? Figures.

Maybe I'll have a whine on Twitter about how the tearing reminds me of the sound of ripping paper which gives me anxiety because some white dude but an extra sugar in my grande cappuccino at starbucks! @starbucks T twitter @ubisoft @fascists

real1

I have to vent here because if I DMed this "person" on twitter I would be banned. Such an absolute cowardly, whiny, piece of SHIT drama queen. Call me evil but at this point I wish bad things on these people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom