• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 174 | OT | Mighty Mouse headlines a Pay Per View...yes you read that right

Status
Not open for further replies.
He absorbed a pretty hard looking uppercut like it was nothing, and Schaub does hit hard. Really if anything Schaub has shown a fairly weak chin as well.

Oh I know, I was actually surprised he survived that uppercut too be honest. I thought Arlovski was done after so many devastating knockouts, but I guess I was wrong.

Heel

And the whole idea is too combine all of those things and be entertaining. That was not entertaining. I am Canadian but telling me that GSP's fights where he did exactly what Bader did tonight is entertaining, Is kidding themselves.

Too each their own I guess but I'm taking a wild guess that the majority of people that paid for this PPV are pretty pissed right now.

You're right, Hamster, at least in my view. I think the sane among us will agree that this card was not worth the money if you bought it on PPV, or worth the time if it was free on television.

Dude you barely started watching it like 5 months ago when you posted in the MMA thread saying you just watched your first card.

HAHAAHAHA holy did I just read that right? Well if experience has anything to do with it, I was watching UFC rentals from blockbuster video when I was ten. Lazyslob should "please stop watching MMA"

iqubal

Banned
Just got back from watching this live at rogers arena. Glad I got a super discounted ticket. Highlight for me was Tim Tebow getting booed lol.

Plenty of empty seats, and that lady screaming was irritating in person.

Razdek

Banned
Just got back from watching this live at rogers arena. Glad I got a super discounted ticket. Highlight for me was Tim Tebow getting booed lol.

Plenty of empty seats, and that lady screaming was irritating in person.

This thing was so boring to watch on TV I can only imagine it being twice as bad live.

HiResDes

Anyone hating on Rory needs to go fuck themselves.

Most people thought Woodley would annihilate him and Rory completely HUMILIATED him. I expect Woodley to turn Brazilian and dish out a ton of excuses at the post fight conference.
I've been a Rory fan and never jumped off the bandwagon, he adapts to opponents well, and does what he has to win. People pigeon holing him as a boring fighter are off base.

ScribbleD

Without spoiling anything, was this worth watching? How was it compared to the last few UFC PPVs? I fell asleep before it came on.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wasn't expecting much, but this card underperformed. Too many one-sided fights and way too many cautious fighters even when they couldn't win on decision. Shame. 175 looks a lot more interesting though.

strobogo

Banned
Needs more knees to the taint.

ibqOYzoBgzkfVw.gif

I feel like UFC is going to be in trouble over the next few years. They've fallen into all the same traps that WWE has: Over reliance on certain stars, not building enough new stars, over saturation, trying to make stars out of guys people don't give a shit about, over hype, feeling they can coast on their name.

The big difference is that WWE is a 60 year old proven brand with a consistent renewable resource of children. I don't think MMA is going to be cyclical like pro wrestling has traditionally been. They hit their peak and are never getting back there. I think in 2-3 years, 80-100K is what they're going to be maxing out at for PPVs. They have WAY too many shows, took over too many promotions, have way too much talent, and too much of the talent isn't at a level that befits the biggest promotion in the world.

In addition, UFC's presentation is so stale and sterile. They haven't changed a thing since they blew up after TUF1. It might be more boring than WWE's presentation over the past few years. There are only 4-6 stars at any given time for UFC. And they usually fight twice at year at the most. Sometimes once. Sometimes not at all. Due to feeling like they need to have a show every god damn weekend, they've filled their cards with scrubs who just started a couple of years ago, or guys who should have retired a few years ago.

Their hype machine is terrible, too. Every fight is the biggest fight ever, the most serious of hatred between the guys, whoever is the best at X in the world, best P4P fighter, best...fuck. Opening matches get the same hype as the main event, and then after all the bullshit guys hug or shake hands anyway. If you're going to work everyone, STICK TO THE WORK. Don't break kayfabe right after the fight. It's impossible to believe any of the hype UFC throws out since every fight ends with the dudes talking about how much they respect the other and they were just trying to sell the fight.

I sense dark times for y'all. HARD TIMES, daddy. That bubble burst a couple of years ago and it isn't coming back.

6qxb2l.jpg

Vio-Lence

Banned
well said mr. bogo.

I feel like we are going to look back at Mouse as the number 1 best fighter p4p era as fondly as the Miguel Angel Torres era.

well said mr. bogo.

I feel like we are going to look back at Mouse as the number 1 best fighter p4p era as fondly as the Miguel Angel Torres era.
Hopefully John Dodson plays the role of Brian Bowles here, minus the whole injury and steep decline after at least.

And yeah I pretty much agree with strobogo too.

This was a bad card mostly because everything happened so predictably. Woodley had nothing to offer Rory and Bagautinov had nothing for Mighty Mouse, with minimal surpises or tension. The only fight that was a close contest was no contest at all, where even a slothenly Arlovski was able to casually dodge and deflect Schaub's shallow offensive toolkit into a split decision victory via unanimous indifference.

I sense dark times for y'all. HARD TIMES, daddy. That bubble burst a couple of years ago and it isn't coming back.

Your post is spot-on for the most part. However, note that the UFC is becoming a global brand more than WWE.

With all the countries they are invading and the response they are getting in those areas, it isn't going to kill them to lose some business in the US.

Your post is spot-on for the most part. However, note that the UFC is becoming a global brand more than WWE.

With all the countries they are invading and the response they are getting in those areas, it isn't going to kill them to lose some business in the US.
I think MMA will continue to grow. It only declined because the transient Brock bubble burst, and those fans should've never been considered as a part of their long-term growth.

Aiii

So not worth it

Don't underestimate WWE, which has also expanded to new countries recently and getting better TV deals in others.

WWE actually drew a 5000 people house show attendance figure in The Netherlands last year before getting a TV deal (airing two week old Raw 90 minutes version at 1AM on Sunday) at the end of last year and then drew a full house of about 7k here. That tells you just how much recognition they get even when it isn't even available.

strobogo

Banned

WWE has been a global brand for years and has been expanding and doing more international tours and business every year for a decade now. They do tours of Japan, Mexico, Europe, and India pretty much every year. This year they did shows in Saudi Arabia.

It's weird that you think UFC is becoming more global than WWE. UFC puts on small, terrible shows in some other countries using mostly local talent that no one in the US knows or cares about. By the nature of differences between pro wrestling and MMA, WWE is able to have all of their top talent touring the globe while UFC can hope they luck out that one or two big name guys will be able to get work visas, not be injured, and not test hot.

WWE programming airs in over 150 countries.

iddqd

Man.. I know this is an old topic.. but can you imagine ONE great event a month?
The hype would be fun, the expectations would be fun...

Back in Germany, I would get up at 3am to watch the fights live.. now I have a hard time not working at the same time, refreshing this thread, visiting the toilet and twitter are more entertaining.

Imagine they had kept the WEC... or created a second tier feeder league..

PPV's only for top 10 fighters, the rest goes into the second tier system that wont dilute the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom