• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ugly girl': The negative messages we send to our daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
According to Cracked (not a very reliable source, I know), Dove has dropped the Real Beauty campaign, and after a brief increase in sales, it's sales are no higher now than they were before they started the campaign. Course, it's Cracked, but still, if this campaign was wildly successful, you'd think every other company would do the same thing. Obviously there's a reason other companies aren't copying Dove.

Other companies aren't copying Dove because Dove owns the real beauty campaign. The same reason every company in the world isn't using CG polar bears at Christmas. Advertisers aren't stupid, and sometimes a brief increase in sales is all they're going for besides name recognition. You'd be surprised the extent to which name recognition affects a brand.

But Americans really are too fat though.

this is a fact, obesity is and will continue to be the biggest health issue for Americans

Jesus Christ...

Calling someone ugly because they don't have the symmetrical face of Brad Pitt is one thing, but to say they a chubby or fat person is normal is not right

we as a society here in America can cry all day about how chubby and overweight is the new normal all we want, but we can't lie to our bodies. I see it everyday in the hospital, seems like 90% of the patients are overweight aka media new normal. Out body doesn't give a fuck about what the media says is normal it's going to coincide with what is natural and if the body is not at a natural weight the body will suffer, this is a fact.

Infinite

this is a fact, obesity is and will continue to be the biggest health issue for Americans

Calling someone ugly because they don't have the symmetrical face of Brad Pitt is one thing, but to say they a chubby or fat person is normal is not right

we as a society here in America can cry all day about how chubby and overweight is the new normal all we want, but we can't lie to our bodies. I see it everyday in the hospital, seems like 90% of the patients are overweight aka media new normal. Out body doesn't give a fuck about what the media says is normal it's going to coincide with what is natural and if the body is not at a natural weight the body will suffer, this is a fact.

Wow. I can't.

coldvein

Banned
i never got severely bullied or anything, but until highschool i was always the smallest dude in school, and people made fun of me about it. it kinda sucked.

Pein

Banned
inspiration behind

rJ79u.jpg

how much hair spray does this dick use, god damn!

Please explain what this "expert medical knowledge" have to do with any of this.

I went off-topic from the talk of "ugly" people to those that are overweight and how it's a major problem, just wanted to make that clear

don't want to derail the thread, apologize for that

maxxpower

I went off-topic from the talk of "ugly" people to those that are overweight and how it's a major problem, just wanted to make that clear

Yeah, you said being fat is bad for your body, I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I googled "ugly actors" and google gave me 2 imdb lists

First one is :
eDRry.jpg

Thats not Eva Green right?
Nah, couldnt be, clearly i just havent gotten enough sleep, cuz i dont think theres anyone on the planet who could "honestly" say Eva Green is ugly.....maybe you dont find her attractive sure....but Ugly!....come on.

genjiZERO

I agree with the weight thing. There seems to be this anti-skinny backlash sentiment that overweight is what "real women" should look like. It seems to me that it's the same idea as anti-intellectualism.

On topic:

I do think there's a "looks" problem here in the US. One thing we could do is put normal looking people on tv like they do in Britain. One of several reasons British television is superior.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
and they like to think this doesn't happen with males at all.

not anywhere near the proportion it does for women.

However, the main differences are with the breakdown in the way mens and womens brains react. In general, men can look in the mirror and see what they believe to be their best physical attributes and be satisfied, whereas women look in the mirror and see their worst attributes and this makes them feel bad about themselves.

More women suffer exponentially from eating disorders than men. BTW eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Most who suffer from eating disorders will struggle with it for the majority of their lives.

Men can be fat, bald, ugly or good looking and for the most part they are not judged on that alone. But as the letters in the OP say, women are viewed first on their looks and a lot of times that may be the only thing that matters.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
not anywhere near the proportion it does for women.

However, the main differences are with the breakdown in the way mens and womens brains react. In general, men can look in the mirror and see what they believe to be their best physical attributes and be satisfied, whereas women look in the mirror and see their worst attributes and this makes them feel bad about themselves.

More women suffer exponentially from eating disorders than men. BTW eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Most who suffer from eating disorders will struggle with it for the majority of their lives.

Men can be fat, bald, ugly or good looking and for the most part they are not judged on that alone. But as the letters in the OP say, women are viewed first on their looks and a lot of times that may be the only thing that matters.
The media feeds and exploits image insecurities in both genders. But maybe guys aren't as sensitive to it because (in general) women don't place as much importance on looks when it comes to dating.

Men tend to be judged more on height, however.

Infinite

I agree with what you're trying to say it was just worded very poorly and came off tpoic

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thats not Eva Green right?
Nah, couldnt be, clearly i just havent gotten enough sleep, cuz i dont think theres anyone on the planet who could "honestly" say Eva Green is ugly.....maybe you dont find her attractive sure....but Ugly!....come on.

Seriously, she was a fricken bond girl!

Men are judged far more harshly than women for their social status. Also, as far as I know, an attractive female figure is much more easily attained than an attractive (muscular) male figure. Sure, not all women are attracted to a bodybuilder physique, but I think a somewhat muscular build is generally preferred. Also, don't many women on dating sites express a preference for men who are around 6 feet tall or taller? Some people probably think I'm experiencing a "grass is greener on the other side" effect, but I genuinely believe that men face much more pressure in this regard. In addition, there isn't really any tolerance for male insecurity.

That may be true, but men commit suicide 3-4 times more often than women in America.

Men are judged far more harshly than women for their social status. Also, as far as I know, an attractive female figure is much more easily attained than an attractive (muscular) male figure. Sure, not all women are attracted to a bodybuilder physique, but I think a somewhat muscular build is generally preferred. Also, don't many women on dating sites express a preference for men who are around 6 feet tall or taller?

Yep this I agree with. To be an attractive male you need to

A) be tall which is something you cant control. I haven't seen a guy be all like oh that chick is hot but she is under X feet tall - no sale - like you hear with women.

B) in order to have a nice physique as a male you need to not only not eat junk, but the correct ratio of protein via food and supplements whilst not eating too much carbs etc, do cardio as well as lift weights. For a women to have a nice body she just has to not eat junk and cardio.

Skeyser

B) in order to have a nice physique as a male you need to not only not eat junk, but the correct ratio of protein via food and supplements whilst not eating too much carbs etc, do cardio as well as lift weights. For a women to have a nice body she just has to not eat junk and cardio.

You make it sound really hard, but unless you're trying to be a bodybuilder achieving a nice physique as a male is pretty simple.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
That may be true, but men commit suicide 3-4 times more often than women in America.

ok? but are they committing suicide as a direct result of societal pressure on how they look? Probably not.

Women are constantly bombarded with how they should look. From commercials, to tv shows, to magazine racks, tabloids, constant advertising for diets. Everywhere you turn women are basically told they aren't good enough. Even from early early ages. My niece when she was 5 was pick on by other little girls because she had a "tummy," mind you she was actually super skinny. so she comes home and asks my sister in law if shes fat. No girl should ever have to ask this question.

None of this this is in any way true for men.

As someone mentioned above when was the last time you saw a fat women have a prominent role in a major movie? But it happens all the time for men.

Yep this I agree with. To be an attractive male you need to

A) be tall which is something you cant control. I haven't seen a guy be all like oh that chick is hot but she is under X feet tall - no sale - like you hear with women.

First of all, ask ten different women what they find attractive in a man and your likely going to get ten different answers. Ask ten men and your three answers are tits, boobs and ass.

Secondly do you have any actual facts backing up your statement in B? because its actually more difficult for women to lose weight than it is for men.

from a registered dietician:
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blog/reasons-why-men-lose-weight-faster-than-women/
Losing weight is in men’s genes

“Men are genetically hardwired to shed weight faster than women. Men are more prone to build muscle, thanks to higher levels of the hormone testosterone. Because men have more muscle mass, they also have a higher resting metabolism,” says nutritionist Leslie Beck. “Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have in relation to body fat, the higher your resting metabolism.”

Men can lose weight through exercise alone

“A study of 962 men and women enrolled in a two-year weight loss program found that exercise alone was enough to help men lose weight,” says Beck. “In women, however, even substantial increases in exercise weren’t enough to produce weight loss if they didn’t reduce their calorie intake.”

Men can eat whatever they want and still lose weight, which is both another reason they lose weight faster than women and another reason I call them lucky dogs.

Men have fewer body image issues

“Women often set out to lose weight in the hopes of improving appearance, while men are more likely to be concerned about their future health and fitness. As a result, men are often less focused on the bathroom scale,” says Beck. “Improvements in strength or a looser waistband are often enough to motivate men to stick to their program. But women tend to beat themselves up over a few extra pounds, which deflates self-confidence and self-worth.”

maxxpower

He also said chubby, there is a difference between being a bit overweight and being obese.

Well, I could blame my genes, but being chubby isn't very good for your body either, but I don't mean overweight, because technically I'm overweight even though I'm lean and I have a six pack. Also depends on what people see as "chubby".

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
eating right, exercising, and maintaining good hygiene can only do so much. "Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?" ;)

Anyone else like chubby women? I mean... YOWZA at some curves and a little belly fat never killed no one. I know I'm in the minority here, but chubby women HOLLA at PigSpeakers.

In reality, I am just attracted to all women. You're all beautiful and you'll always have a place in my open arms and heart.

Cmere and gimme a kiss.

george_us

So what's the solution to this problem? Force people to use unattractive and overweight women as models and actresses? If companies did this, their clothing and other products wouldn't sell as well and their movies and TV shows would make less money.
Yeah I'm not really sure what can be done. Human's natural instincts towards preferring good looking people dictates these sorts of things. I feel sorry for women though, they got it bad.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Ah, but with women it is the opposite. Being excessively tall can be undesirable to some men. The "ideal" woman I think is usually pegged at around 5'3"-5". I have heard some men say that will not date a woman taller than that.

george_us

Ah, but with women it is the opposite. Being excessively tall can be undesirable to some men. The "ideal" woman I think is usually pegged at around 5'3"-5". I have heard some men say that will not date a woman taller than that.
I remember in 8th grade I had a massive crush on girl that was 5'10". I saw her again about a year ago and she was still gorgeous.

way more

Men are judged far more harshly than women for their social status. Also, as far as I know, an attractive female figure is much more easily attained than an attractive (muscular) male figure. Some people probably think I'm experiencing a "grass is greener on the other side" effect.

Lordy.

Also, women attempt suicide 5x more than men. So, that nullifies whatever bizarre point that was.

akira28

Ok ... but give me 3 actress in the same body type as Jack Black, Zach Galifinafianakis or Danny DeVito

Or ONE actress with Feldman or Buscemi eyes

Ugly guys are still ugly guys. Ugly rich guys just have that something, that...i don't know what.

I think people who bring up "men have it hard too" must have no empathy for female issues and just want to derail the thread. Maybe instead of going ad hominem, check if this affects your sister or other females you have in your life and report back on whether this is insecurity bred by the person or by the world.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think people who bring up "men have it hard too" must have no empathy for female issues and just want to derail the thread. Maybe instead of going ad hominem, check if this affects your sister or other females you have in your life and report back on whether this is insecurity bred by the person or by the world.
My original point was that I think there's a lot more to the issue than media. The media messages about physical appearance clearly aren't having the same effects on every individual, even though they're comparable across gender lines.

Whether the media is doing a greater disservice to one gender than the other is a whole other can of worms.

squidyj

Personally I'm finding it difficult to empathize with anyone in this thread :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom